Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

My thrice-stroked grandmother with moderate dementia is more coherent than this man

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wait what?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what in the world...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what a miserable prick.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Without a vote, an "impeachment inquiry" is basically just a statement of intent. With a vote, however, it can be something more. For example, the Nixon impeachment inquiry was created by a full floor vote of the entire House. This wasn't necessary to have something called an "impeachment inquiry", but the House resolution that created the impeachment inquiry also explicitly granted that inquiry the authority and funding to do whatever it deemed necessary to investigate Nixon. Moreover, passing a full floor vote showed that the House was overwhelmingly supportive of the inquiry. Those two factors made the Nixon inquiry a fair bit more powerful than the Trump inquiry currently is.

citation needed

most of the powers that had to be specifically granted to take depos and issue subpoenas back then now exist in the committees independently

this is a big chunk of the lawfare explainer about impeachment inquiries, that they no longer actually need a vote because the powers no longer need to be specifically granted. literally the only question is whether any of these weak arguments convince a federal judge to rule differently than they would if there was a floor vote

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 2, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

He said while Trump held a gun to his head

I wonder if at any point the WH becomes a Hitler bunker complete with the ending we all know

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Main Paineframe posted:

Without a vote, an "impeachment inquiry" is basically just a statement of intent. With a vote, however, it can be something more. For example, the Nixon impeachment inquiry was created by a full floor vote of the entire House. This wasn't necessary to have something called an "impeachment inquiry", but the House resolution that created the impeachment inquiry also explicitly granted that inquiry the authority and funding to do whatever it deemed necessary to investigate Nixon. Moreover, passing a full floor vote showed that the House was overwhelmingly supportive of the inquiry. Those two factors made the Nixon inquiry a fair bit more powerful than the Trump inquiry currently is.

Please show me where a floor vote is necessary to grant additional impeachment investigation powers to committees involved, because I can't find it.

A floor vote is purely a political and symbolic move. That's it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Anybody else hear the Mortal Combat announcer in their heads?

"Finnish Them!"

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Mad as gently caress about that boring Nancy press brief.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Can Nancy come out and just say hi on camera every day if it's going to cause a tanty like this an hour later?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Guze posted:

Mad as gently caress about that boring Nancy press brief.

Pelosi the Puppetmaster!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Pelosi presser would have been so much better with Joey Janela.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Remember "big loving deal" and the right lost their goddamn minds

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

So this is what the legal version of "oh my god shut the gently caress up" looks like

She just added him to the court's ignore list.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

He's actually laughing about all this.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

I know we have all done this joke already but he literally is that kid who didn’t read the book and now has to give his report in front of the class.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The sixth sheik's sixth sheep's Shifty Schiff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Slowpoke! posted:

I know we have all done this joke already but he literally is that kid who didn’t read the book and now has to give his report in front of the class.

this is not even realizing you're supposed to be giving a book report.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Lmao his brain circuits are shorting on that interview

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Is there even any connection between Finland and Pelosi or Schiff? He is just free associating words into an answer?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

AsInHowe posted:

The Pelosi presser would have been so much better with Joey Janela.

gently caress that. We need to get Luchasaurus involved.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Super-Id posted:

Is there even any connection between Finland and Pelosi or Schiff? He is just free associating words into an answer?

he doesn't care what they asked him he just wants to rant about how unfair nancy was to him.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Someone mentioned it in the tweet responses, but Trump is 2x the width of Finn prez.

I also like the reaction to Trump doing the ol' knee grope/slap.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Nobody:

Ann Coulter: wait I wanted the moat, wtf

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1179439907561000960

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

No Safe Word posted:

Nobody:

Ann Coulter: wait I wanted the moat, wtf

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1179439907561000960

I know people keep saying she's some sort of performance artist at this point but come the gently caress on.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

It's weird that he could so vividly remember all the things he was accused of, coherently and lucidly, among all the other cloudy thoughts he was having.

Almost like he said it and forgot he said it :thunk:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

gently caress that. We need to get Luchasaurus involved.

Jungle Boy was there, so that was in play.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/traciemac_Bmore/status/1177959008495423488

https://mobile.twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1179401271595405312

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

dr_rat posted:

I mean shes been in politics forever, so it's actually quite possibly she is doing a lot of behind the scenes extremely subtle politicking, that people who haven't spent decades in beltway politics wouldn't get at all, wouldn't mean it all it couldn't all be spineless crap extremely subtle politicking, working towards a spineless crap outcome.

Being able to make something well and actually making something well are two very different things.

The true Pelosi fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these maneuvers, to realise that they're not just funny - they say something deep about American governance. As a consequence people who dislike Nancy Pelosi truly ARE idiots.

And yes, by the way, I DO have a Nancy Pelosi tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only - and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skylined! posted:

Please show me where a floor vote is necessary to grant additional impeachment investigation powers to committees involved, because I can't find it.

A floor vote is purely a political and symbolic move. That's it.

to me, the realistic argument for an impeachment inquiry vote is something like this:

(1) there's a low but not trivial chance that, at some point in the various cases being litigated, you might not get something you want because a judge thinks you haven't formally committed to impeachment, even if a vote isn't technically necessary
(2) appealing the ruling, or going back and taking a vote and then going back to court, would take more time
(3) and you've got the votes now, so why not do it simply as a precautionary measure

but, on the other hand,
(1) there is nothing at all that requires you to do this and setting a precedent could potentially reduce your discretionary authority to do this without a vote in the future, and
(2) you'd probably have to deal with appeals regardless, and
(3) you've got the votes so you could do it very quickly if it becomes apparent that a judge is worried about this and might move against you without it

so personally i don't really see why you'd bother right now, when you've got a clear majority plus leadership on board with it. if something comes up that warrants it, it should be no problem to do

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He actually said “a moat, whatever that is”

He had no idea what a moat was prior to today.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

https://twitter.com/Mattbeckyall/status/1179445181961125888
"bullsh!t"

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Groovelord Neato posted:

he doesn't care what they asked him he just wants to rant about how unfair nancy was to him.

I think he posts in this thread...

:tinfoil:

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
When is the Age of Grift going to end?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1179441927814557696?s=19

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

He's actually laughing about all this.

His was perfectly calm. His calm was PERFECT.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Gortarius posted:

When we're all dead from climate change related causes

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Gortarius posted:

https://www.sciencealert.com/what-will-happen-after-the-sun-dies-planetary-nebula-solar-system

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Gortarius posted:

We will be grifting off the back of the next great Water Purification Machine in the desert wastes of Southern Canada one hundred years from now, friend.

The grift never ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

So has anyone confirmed that this is indeed a prank and you know, not a legitimate ad the Rudy put out.

I don't think there is literally anything he could do at the moment that would surprise me.