Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Oh yeah, today is my new manager's seventh day on the job, and I handed him my resignation. He's been there long enough for me to know I didn't want to work for him, that's for drat sure.

For anyone watching scary movies in October, don't sleep on Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil. It's really not scary, but it is an absolutely amazing comedy version of a scary movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Ehud posted:

yeah I do think recognizing the political corruption was part of it. At the time I perceived Ron Paul as very consistent in his views. I guess I also felt like he wasn't a "bought and sold" guy where he'd get into office and go back on his word. And I liked the idea of no longer meddling in international affairs because all that wars had drug on so long and seemed pointless.

So yeah...I can look back and see what appealed to me. But I didn't understand climate change, the issues with our healthcare system, why it's unfair to expect everyone to be able to bootstrap their way out of bad circumstances, and a million other things at that point.

Not a Ron Paul scholar but for the most part from what I've seen he appears to be/have been pretty consistent in his views. So was Antonin Scalia. It's pretty easy to be consistent in your views when your views mostly say you're not supposed to do anything about anything.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Also the very basic models taught in undergrad Econ 101 create a lot of libertarians

Yeah, we didn’t even get to externalities except for a class explicitly about environmental economics and policies.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Not a Ron Paul scholar but for the most part from what I've seen he appears to be/have been pretty consistent in his views. So was Antonin Scalia. It's pretty easy to be consistent in your views when your views mostly say you're not supposed to do anything about anything.

Yeah I think the simplicity of it might have appealed to me as well haha.

It's fun to think back about the person I used to be. I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh on my lunch break every day when I was like 19. I wanted to be politically active and I knew about his radio show because everyone in my family listened to it and I had no idea where else to listen to political commentary.

I thought he was cool because he'd "own" the callers and be snarky. But after a few months I realized how full of poo poo he was lol

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yah JD I went to GMU for undergrad and it’s basically like firing up PragerU on your laptop except the Mason professors have heard of FA Hayek

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I feel like there are a lot of Democrats who have this fear that we can't elect someone too liberal because there aren't enough other Democrats who will support them. It's somewhat self-defeating for the left wing of the Democratic Party. The Republicans are so terrible, that a lot of D's just want the person with the most mass appeal because they fear a Republican too much.

I'm not really a big fan of 538's articles, but I actually liked this one today that discussed why black voters tend to back establishment candidates.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-do-black-democrats-usually-prefer-establishment-candidates/

It's a little long, so their five basic points are
1. Establishment candidates typically have existing ties to the black community
2. Black voters are pragmatic
3. Black leaders are part of the establishment and support its candidates
4. The liberal wing of the Democratic Party appeals to the well-educated more than other groups, and the vast majority of black Democrats don’t have college degrees
5. The left wing isn’t running enough black candidates

The first four points are essentially why both Sanders and Warren don't get great numbers among the black community. Considering how much of the party is made up of black folks, it's incredibly important for a candidate to make sure they appeal to them. I think #2 is extremely important. Black people fear a Republican more than they want to see a real progressive candidate, and they fear that a progressive candidate doesn't have mass appeal. I think we saw this play out in 2008, where Obama was seen as more liberal than Clinton, and black people didn't really come out to support him until he won Iowa. Winning Iowa showed them that he appealed to a lot of white people, and was safe to vote for.

I want to add that this is a reason why we can't go around calling anyone to the right of Sanders a monster. We need good D turnout to win, and if all you're going to do is tell everyone their favored candidate is god awful and sucks, then they're going to either ignore you, or worse, come around to hating your candidate. All that is going to do is suppress voters for the eventual nominee. I know Biden and Harris suck. Warren is far from perfect, but we absolutely must vote for whoever the ultimate D candidate is, and we need to motivate everyone we can to do the same.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

It's fun to think back about the person I used to be. I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh on my lunch break every day when I was like 19. I wanted to be politically active and I knew about his radio show because everyone in my family listened to it and I had no idea where else to listen to political commentary.

Christ I suddenly feel better about the couple of years I listened to Jim Rome whenever I could.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think Libertarianism appeals to a lot of young white people because it addresses issues that concern them i.e. religion, sexuality, abortion, etc. in a liberating way but still preserves the economic systems that keep them comfortable

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Way down on the list of things but I just discovered Trump doesn't know what a jockstrap is. Unless he censored himself from saying jock which seems odd:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1179435878856437764

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Grittybeard posted:

Christ I suddenly feel better about the couple of years I listened to Jim Rome whenever I could.

yeah. I might have a monopoly on lovely stuff I used to think was cool.

does anyone want to borrow my signed copy of a Jerry Falwell biography?

how about my P.O.D discography?

I also have the christian dating book, "I kissed dating goodbye" which taught me that I was never allowed to be alone with my girlfriend until my wedding night

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember reading an article about libertarians trying to appeal to minorities being like "dont you want to be free from your oppressors??" With them responding with "government intervention has been the only way to get ahead in many cases for us."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ehud posted:

I also have the christian dating book, "I kissed dating goodbye" which taught me that I was never allowed to be alone with my girlfriend until my wedding night

Ehud I want you to know you are genuinely my favorite person on these forums

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

seiferguy posted:

I remember reading an article about libertarians trying to appeal to minorities being like "dont you want to be free from your oppressors??" With them responding with "government intervention has been the only way to get ahead in many cases for us."

Yea, libertarianism only "works" if everyone out there treats everyone else fairly and equally all the time, and everyone is honest with each other all the time. Neither of those things ever really happen, and the first part definitely doesn't happen for minorities.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There was a thread on the forums about the Duggars and 19 and counting that opened up a world of crazy I didn’t know was happening, and I grew up Catholic

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Libertarianism is awesome if you have no clue about anything that actually happens.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Ehud posted:

A middle school friend of mine is painfully Christian, and he was over the moon about a woman he knew who had her first kiss on the altar when she got married.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Grittybeard posted:

Way down on the list of things but I just discovered Trump doesn't know what a jockstrap is. Unless he censored himself from saying jock which seems odd:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1179435878856437764

lol this is amazing
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1179437134157090817

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp-jZyzQSms

These poor people

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

A middle school friend of mine is painfully Christian, and he was over the moon about a woman he knew who had her first kiss on the altar when she got married.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw8ANTe18bA

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Ehud posted:

once you mentally reach the point where you tried to quit, you cannot go back

fly free my sweet little bird

I decided that I am going to milk the gravy train for now because I have golden handcuffs and my lizard brain can't walk away from it yet. The company does profit sharing (which they refer to as bonuses for accounting reasons) and we keep losing people so the longer I hold out, the more "gently caress you" money I save!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, libertarianism only "works" if everyone out there treats everyone else fairly and equally all the time, and everyone is honest with each other all the time. Neither of those things ever really happen, and the first part definitely doesn't happen for minorities.

Libertarianism assumes perfectly spherical people, basically. It also ignores history and declares as a foundational premise that government institutions are performing services that should be and are better provided by private institutions - one of the more frustrating arguments to be had with a libertarian is when they make sweeping declarations about how awful government always is, and you are like "well, we have fire departments because before the government paid for fire departments, private ones were loving terrible" or "well, we need social security because before social security, all the elderly people were eating catfood" and you get this insane pushback that is clearly based in not knowing history, like "we should have just had charities do that stuff."

...like, so then why weren't charities already capably handling things? Why did poo poo get so bad that there was enough of a cry for change that our lovely slow terribly inefficient government finally moved itself to creating new programs to handle this poo poo? If the free market and charities are so great, why was intervention necessary in the first place?

The only response you'll ever get to questions like this are more sweeping generalizations. Libertarians prefer a constructed fantasy future world that is built up from faulty first principles about people and the world, they are not interested or prepared to address current or historical realities in the specifics.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Petite Dinklage posted:

I decided that I am going to milk the gravy train for now because I have golden handcuffs and my lizard brain can't walk away from it yet. The company does profit sharing (which they refer to as bonuses for accounting reasons) and we keep losing people so the longer I hold out, the more "gently caress you" money I save!

A company hemorrhaging employees is surely on a healthy path to big profits!

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Ehud posted:

Ehud,

I had a similar upbringing, not as crazy as yours but a lot of the things you talk about I recognize and understand. The biggest thing is what you talked about which was growing as a person. I look back at how I was in high school and even 6 years ago and it amazes me how I thought back then. So you aren't alone and you are one of my favorites to keep up with.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yah JD I went to GMU for undergrad and it’s basically like firing up PragerU on your laptop except the Mason professors have heard of FA Hayek

Lmao that sounds terrible.

It’s shocking how many people involved in economics, political science, public policy, and sociology, don’t understand anything about the other 3.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

As long as the checks clear

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Android Apocalypse posted:

You live in Portland, right? There's a couple tea shops that can help you figure out what you'd like. One of my friends worked at Smith Tea & his recommendations were spot on. I go to Deadstock Coffee for my tea fix during work because 1: it was in the building I used to have an art studio in & I can still walk to it from my new studio, 2: they got good selection, and 3: owner is a cool dude who used to work for Nike so the place is all sneaker-themed.

hifi posted:

decent recommendations:

genmai cha: japanese green tea with roasted rice. good for cold weather or in the morning in place of coffee due to the savory flavor. usually cheap
tie guan yin: the default chinese oolong. toasted a bit with kind of a perrier mineral backbone to it. https://www.imperialtea.com/Everyday-Tie-Guan-Yin-Tea-p/tieguanyintea.htm
assam: what they use in irish breakfast tea. neutral black tea with a bit of a malty flavor.
darjeeling: fruity? peppery? it sort of depends on where it's grown but it's on the lighter side of black tea.

https://www.uptontea.com/ is good for cheap japanese green tea and indian black teas.

Thanks for these answers, covers exactly what I need!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, going to college and finding out what religion was really like in the south / midwest was eye opening to say the least.

I suddenly understood why internet atheists were so incredibly angry.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Our new hires average less than one year before they bail! People in management keep coming here from successful companies, and it is mindblowing. Imagine being at a big name medical device or 3D printing company and saying, "gently caress this poo poo, I should be somewhere that manufactures solely gift cards in TYOOL 2019."

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Our new hires average less than one year before they bail! People in management keep coming here from successful companies, and it is mindblowing. Imagine being at a big name medical device or 3D printing company and saying, "gently caress this poo poo, I should be somewhere that manufactures solely gift cards in TYOOL 2019."

Yeah, I work for a super weird company for America. Despite having worked here for almost 15 years now, out of ~5000 employees I'm only like 700th in seniority. People who come here either leave within 2-3 years or stay for their entire career.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ehud I want you to know you are genuinely my favorite person on these forums

SundayMoney posted:

Ehud,

I had a similar upbringing, not as crazy as yours but a lot of the things you talk about I recognize and understand. The biggest thing is what you talked about which was growing as a person. I look back at how I was in high school and even 6 years ago and it amazes me how I thought back then. So you aren't alone and you are one of my favorites to keep up with.

guys i'm glad we're all best friends

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Petite Dinklage posted:

As long as the checks clear

You were talking about your share of the profit-sharing, though... are there... actual profits to share?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Welp, it's snowing.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

You were talking about your share of the profit-sharing, though... are there... actual profits to share?

This company keeps stumbling into making more and more money, despite negative employee growth. Most of that is due to the nature of the business and most everything being automated, but in no way do I think the company is sustainable in the long run. However, the owner I think has realized that the only reason the majority of the staff stay is due to to bonuses, so he can't stop them.

It's a cool company culture, much like the Roarin' 20's

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

wandler20 posted:

Welp, it's snowing.

I'm jealous. where are you?

this is the rest of my week:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I work for a super weird company for America. Despite having worked here for almost 15 years now, out of ~5000 employees I'm only like 700th in seniority. People who come here either leave within 2-3 years or stay for their entire career.

15 years is pretty impressive. My dad is at 35 years with the same company. I'm moving to my fourth almost exactly ten years into my career.

Also, hard to imagine anyone wanting to leave this place with such a clear direction and message:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

Welp, it's snowing.

It's 93 here

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

https://earther.gizmodo.com/weather-whiplash-is-about-to-hit-the-u-s-1838661934

Today has some legendarily weird national weather

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ehud posted:

I'm jealous. where are you?

this is the rest of my week:

Western North Dakota. At least it's supposed to warm up to the mid 50s by the weekend.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Montana is fun to drive through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Montana is fun to drive through

Eastern Montana sucks rear end. Western Montana owns.