Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

What if Nancy was only dragging her feet because she really doesn’t want to be president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
In all seriousness, Trump is getting simultaneously stupider and more manic every day. It's like we've reached some critical tipping point where adding more Adderall to his system just makes the brainworms dig faster.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
My dad re-married a first-generation Ukrainian lady and around her family I said "the Ukraine" once and got a whoooooooole lotta death stares. They taught me the difference and why it's significant and we've been great pals ever since and I love all of them.

:holymoley:

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Wylie posted:

Apparently calling it "the Ukraine" is a reference back to its time as a Soviet state, and some people get rustled by it.

I used to work with a Ukrainian guy, he just thought it was weird that we'd say "the Ukraine" but not "the Canada" or "the Germany."

It is pure muscle memory and lack of knowledge about Ukraine for most of us.

I know all of this now and even I still say The Ukraine about half the time.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Lol if Trump's plan is "They can't impeach me unless they want President Pelosi", there's two obvious ways out for the Senate.

Can YOU figure them out?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1179469272386539520

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sean10mm posted:

In all seriousness, Trump is getting simultaneously stupider and more manic every day. It's like we've reached some critical tipping point where adding more Adderall to his system just makes the brainworms dig faster.

I have extended and intimate experience with people of Trump's personality disorder.

This is gonna get way worse, and it's gonna happen fast.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

But...if you properly audited the wealthy...you'd have more...money to... :tizzy:

EDIT: Seriously this isn't entirely their fault as their budget has been slashed repeatedly I imagine, but goddamn this is hosed up.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Tibalt posted:

Lol if Trump's plan is "They can't impeach me unless they want President Pelosi", there's two obvious ways out for the Senate.

Can YOU figure them out?

Does one involve a manilla envelope?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

“So how do they barbeque in the mountains of The Ohio?”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Angry_Ed posted:

But...if you properly audited the wealthy...you'd have more...money to... :tizzy:

I imagine their budget is the same either way

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1179475711045881857

this is a big question actually

the call was at 9am from the white house residence, this wasn't a big to-do in the oval office, but two highest positions in the government were quietly on the line

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mdemone posted:

I have extended and intimate experience with people of Trump's personality disorder.

This is gonna get way worse, and it's gonna happen fast.

I've got my marker on 'Trump outright calls someone a slur before Christmas', personally

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1179475711045881857

this is a big question actually

the call was at 9am from the white house residence, this wasn't a big to-do in the oval office, but two highest positions in the government were quietly on the line

They're babysitting him so they can handle him

They know he's stupid

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I imagine their budget is the same either way

Probably, for some reason I thought that the IRS gets some of the money they recover from audits into their budget but I think I just made that up entirely, or confused it with something else.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm fairly sure the standard is that as soon as you expect legal proceedings you have a duty to preserve evidence, but I could be wrong.

I don't think the exact test is uniform across jurisdictions, but strategic destruction of records in anticipation of specific litigation seems pretty bad. I think "You will be sued when you do the actions I'm about to describe to you in detail" would be pretty good evidence that someone should have notice that they can reasonably expect litigation. But the advice was given before those documents were generated. If I'm defending the lawyer, I argue it was a sarcastic caution about generating discoverable documents, which would be okay, and hope it flies.

No idea if there's some other duty to preserve documents under these circumstances.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 2, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Bad news.

https://twitter.com/FrancoOrdonez/status/1179475749952249856?s=20

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So the counter-narrative is going to be that Schiff cooked this scheme up because how else did he get prior notice of the whistleblower complaint?

Sounds like it might be effective. :(

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brony Car posted:

So the counter-narrative is going to be that Schiff cooked this scheme up because how else did he get prior notice of the whistleblower complaint?

It hasn't been effective for the entire past week of Trump screaming it, why would it magically start now.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

:tif:

:allbuttons:

It's been obvious for a long time now that laws don't apply to the rich, especially tax law.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This guy SUCKS *crumples up crayon drawing of pelosi behind resolute desk*

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ITS NOT LIKE ITS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE WHAT YOU HEARD IS WHAT HE SAID BEFORE YOU FUCKIN TWEET YOU GREEDY poo poo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Brony Car posted:

None of this poo poo is working for Trump lol, where did you even get this idea?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Unfortunately I understand that logic, because the rich will fight any cent of tax collection with a legion of lawyers. Doesn't make it right though

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Given that the president has basically been litigating his involvement with foreign leaders with regard to elections since before he was inaugurated, he absolutely had a duty to preserve that could be easily demonstrated in court.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was the vice secretary of state Mike Pompenceo

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Given that the president has basically been litigating his involvement with foreign leaders with regard to elections since before he was inaugurated, he absolutely had a duty to preserve that could be easily demonstrated in court.

*extremely Cohen-ishly* Says who?

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Triskelli posted:

“So how do they barbeque in the mountains of The Ohio?”
Columbus native. This got a laugh.

The Ohio State University is currently droning a subpoena to your doorstep.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1179473340848885762

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

RandomBlue posted:

It's been obvious for a long time now that laws don't apply to the rich, especially tax law.

Which is made even more hilarious when you consider the Rich largely don't pay taxes, while at the same time demanding taxes are lowered so that they can make more money off what would have been your taxes. Its a universal axiom that the personal who owns everything in the world is also the least content.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That's booze

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

IDGAF.jpg

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

goethe.cx posted:

Trump’s cursing is one of the weirdest things about him. “Moved on her like a bitch?” And he reportedly called some Asian guy a “loving goo-goo”

add one letter to goo

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

*extremely Cohen-ishly* Says who?

Well that's just the story of the last three years, ain't it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feldegast42 posted:

Unfortunately I understand that logic, because the rich will fight any cent of tax collection with a legion of lawyers. Doesn't make it right though

It's not even that, it's that the assets and schemes the rich come up with are so convoluted that it costs the IRS more and more to fully analyze them in the first place and get suspicious. Anyone with the relevant skills gets a better offer from the finance industry, or from said rich people to invent the schemes.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

EDIT: Seriously this isn't entirely their fault as their budget has been slashed repeatedly I imagine, but goddamn this is hosed up.

"The IRS and academics posted:

It is widely believed that increased funding for enforcement activities would more than pay for itself. Using data from 2017, the IRS estimates that each dollar of investment in enforcement programs yields $12 in additional revenues, while each dollar in the overall IRS budget increases revenues by about $5. In addition, targeting added enforcement activities on high-income households would yield more revenue than using the resources to audit lower-income households.

It's hands down one of the best investments in the country and yet republicans hate it.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

He looks pretty chill for a dude who is about to try to jab a stick up his boss's arse. Figuratively.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

SchrodingersCat posted:

He looks pretty chill for a dude who is about to try to jab a stick up his boss's arse. Figuratively.

That’s the look of a man about to wade elbow deep into the poo poo.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Caffeine this late in the day is not good for your sleeping habits :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Tayter Swift posted:

Caffeine this late in the day is not good for your sleeping habits :ohdear:

What do you go to sleep at 8pm?