Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Is this the thread to talk about transitions shields? I kind of want to get one for my RF1200 but I’m also sort of nervous spending $200 or whatever on something that rocks or beetles will collide with at highway speeds.

Are they worth it or nah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

transitions anything make you look like a Sex Rapist

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

right arm posted:

Transitions glasses, sure. I wasn’t sure if the same was true of a visor. But if buying one is gonna come with a trenchcoat and a flea market katana then gently caress it, I’ll just stick to switching shields at dusk.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

What if it was anodized ktm orange

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It have a transition on my RF-1200 and like it quite a bit. Doesn't get as dark as a full dark tinted visor is, but it's dark enough.
Don't expect instant transition, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

A farkled ADV is far more indicative of a sex offender than transitions IMO.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

if it has the logo, then you’re just an ephebophile or w/e :D

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Drift XL mounted on my x-lite 702gt. Aerodynamic enough that I don't feel it when riding on the highway. 8 hours battery life at 1080p. Sensible seal for the SD card slot and USB port, unlike the previous model.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, that's waaaaaaaaay better battery life than my GoPro HERO5 Session. Pretty sure mine lasts for ~2hrs, probably a bit more, but definitely closer to 2 than 3.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wow yeah I started looking into those, how long have you had it? Finding some complaining about issues with that camera online, but you know how it is with the internet and complaints.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

pun pundit posted:

Drift XL mounted on my x-lite 702gt. Aerodynamic enough that I don't feel it when riding on the highway. 8 hours battery life at 1080p. Sensible seal for the SD card slot and USB port, unlike the previous model.

Do you have a link for this camera?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Do you have a link for this camera?

https://driftinnovation.com/products/ghost-xl

The main complaints I've heard about it is that it uses the same sensor as a lot of the cheap Ali Express action cams so all you're actually getting for your money is the rather shonky Drift app. Drift stuff is always really well-built though - my Ghost HD is about to pass it's fifth birthday and the only problem is that one of the little rubber plugs on the back has fallen off.

The 4K cams use the Sony sensor and circuitry, which are spectacularly good at high-speed and low-light apps, and you can still get the gargantuan exterior battery (albeit with a reduced life bacause of the higher power use).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also you get water proof construction (with the XL) and pretty reliable firmware. A lot of the cheapo action /dashcams tend to crash regularly, corrupt the SD card, stuff like that. I've not had that happen with a Drift product.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Speaking of cameras for riding, if you were doing a fly-to-ride type of deal and wanted to take video of your rides, would you go with a Garmin or GoPro type of deal or something meant for just DVR?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Speaking of cameras for riding, if you were doing a fly-to-ride type of deal and wanted to take video of your rides, would you go with a Garmin or GoPro type of deal or something meant for just DVR?

I've got a Garmin 360 camera that absolutely eats SD cards (just under 2 hours on a 64GB card) so for my US road trip I took 4 cards and a WD My Passport Pro which has an SD card reader - just swap out the cards at stops, the hard drive will automatically download them.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Thank you very much, this is going to fit the bill for me. :v:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Strife posted:

Is this the thread to talk about transitions shields? I kind of want to get one for my RF1200 but I’m also sort of nervous spending $200 or whatever on something that rocks or beetles will collide with at highway speeds.

Are they worth it or nah?

It's worth it. It works great. No issues after long term use. Only bad thing is that they transition slowly so if you go in a tunnel or whatever you'll have to put it up.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

So it turns out that ignoring all its other faults (ventilation, warmth, breatheability or lack of) , my Brody jacket from Bering is neither waterproof or all that abrasion resistant. With winter on its way I’m looking at replacing it.

But I’m not sure what sort of jacket to replace it with. Currently the bulk of my riding is my commute to work ~1hr each way and I just wear my Kevlar jeans and moto boots around the office. But I’ve been lucky and not had a client with a dress code. Then maybe a few hundred miles a month of leisure riding.

I think my options are:
- a 1pc commuter suit like the Klim Hardanger. - Pricey, but would keep me dry and I could wear a suit underneath if needed. Not sure I’d want to wear it on leisure rides, it’s a bit daddish. Also makes my riding jeans a bit obsolete with no jacket.
- waterproof jacket - keeps the top half dry, and I can wear the waterproof over trousers I already have for the bottom.
- any other jacket + waterproof overalls

The weathers getting wetter, and temperatures are getting colder. So I need to get something soon, But I’m honestly not sure what to buy. On one hand I like the idea of stepping out of a 1pc and already being in a suit for the office (not that one is currently needed). But on the other, I like the idea of having half the outfit needed next year for a track day or two.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

So it turns out that ignoring all its other faults (ventilation, warmth, breatheability or lack of) , my Brody jacket from Bering is neither waterproof or all that abrasion resistant. With winter on its way I’m looking at replacing it.

But I’m not sure what sort of jacket to replace it with. Currently the bulk of my riding is my commute to work ~1hr each way and I just wear my Kevlar jeans and moto boots around the office. But I’ve been lucky and not had a client with a dress code. Then maybe a few hundred miles a month of leisure riding.

I think my options are:
- a 1pc commuter suit like the Klim Hardanger. - Pricey, but would keep me dry and I could wear a suit underneath if needed. Not sure I’d want to wear it on leisure rides, it’s a bit daddish. Also makes my riding jeans a bit obsolete with no jacket.
- waterproof jacket - keeps the top half dry, and I can wear the waterproof over trousers I already have for the bottom.
- any other jacket + waterproof overalls

The weathers getting wetter, and temperatures are getting colder. So I need to get something soon, But I’m honestly not sure what to buy. On one hand I like the idea of stepping out of a 1pc and already being in a suit for the office (not that one is currently needed). But on the other, I like the idea of having half the outfit needed next year for a track day or two.

I can personally attest to the Dainese Carve Master 2 with the liner in being warm and waterproof down to -2 and snowing for four hours.

However trackdays almost always require one-piece or full-circumference zip-together leathers and they tend not to be any good in weather - you're much better off just having a completely different outfit for summer leisure riding and track days (and I bet you could probably assemble both outfits for less than any Klim kit, lol)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What boots should I get for general riding and commuting (vfr)

My alpine star shoes are like 6 years old and the gf wants me to get something more protective

My commute is a straight shot up the 5 and back every day so

Also want some pants to ride in cause jeans would be no bueno coming off the bike . Might just go full dad and get the klim one piece cause it looks great for commuting

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

What boots should I get for general riding and commuting (vfr)

My alpine star shoes are like 6 years old and the gf wants me to get something more protective

My commute is a straight shot up the 5 and back every day so

Also want some pants to ride in cause jeans would be no bueno coming off the bike . Might just go full dad and get the klim one piece cause it looks great for commuting

Standard answer for boots that work off the bike are Forma Adventure Lows. Take your pick for cut and style from the kevlar jeans available from most suppliers.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
In terms of secret moto gear, these from TCX go real well with Tobacco jeans.

Forgive the stance and the generally blurriness of the photo, at the time I was unable to stand without assistance. This was me test-fitting all my replacement gear.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

- a 1pc commuter suit like the Klim Hardanger.

Klim stuff is good, but I think Aerostich has the commuter onesie more or less nailed down. They offer much more flexible sizing than Klim for a comprable price.

I use an r3 for commuting and its the bees’ knees. I wear office clothes underneath and change into normal shoes. Keeps me warm and dry in Seattle weather.

Included are two secret powers: turns any bike into a dad bike and makes cops ignore you.

They can be found used on CL and advrider.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Klim stuff is good, but I think Aerostich has the commuter onesie more or less nailed down. They offer much more flexible sizing than Klim for a comprable price.

I use an r3 for commuting and its the bees’ knees. I wear office clothes underneath and change into normal shoes. Keeps me warm and dry in Seattle weather.

Included are two secret powers: turns any bike into a dad bike and makes cops ignore you.

They can be found used on CL and advrider.

Unfortunately I haven’t seen aerostich anywhere in the UK.

I can get the Rukka Saana for £999, but it’s not at all vented.
Or the Klim Hardanger for £1300.

I’m wavering towards a 1pc. Feels like they’d cover more bases, and if my next job needs a suit, I’d probably buy one in 6mo anyway.

Really hesitant to spend any money at all to be honest, I have a poo poo track record of buying the wrong thing and either suffering through. Not to mention, I need new boots and some waterproof gloves. 💸

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Go to a shop and try them out.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Go to a shop and try them out.

Yeah. Got a fuckload of poo poo sent to a local shop to try on. Just waiting on delivery.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I've had a few months with some gear I bought this year and figured I'd do a quick review of it.

1. Double Take Adventure Mirrors.

These are loving amazing. They are without a doubt the best mirrors I have ever used on a motorcycle. They have but two flaws 1. Price and 2. They're not pretty. Installation is as easy as any other mirror, they come with adaptors for most bikes. They don't vibrate. They don't break. They are easy to adjust on the fly. See the big adjustment knob in the middle? You can easily loosen them and swing them inward for offroading so they don't get caught on branches or destroyed in a drop. They give you an excellent view behind you and are adjustable in any way. These are the Adventure model with the diamond shape mirror but they also come in a Dual Sport model with smaller round mirrors for slightly cheaper. They even use a RAM mount, so if you are doing extended offroading you can remove the mirrors and put something else on there. I can't say enough good things about them.

Difficulty of install: 1/10.

2. Multiple parts: Wingrack 2 (used), Givi E22N side cases, Givi V47 Top Case, Givi E251 Universal Top Plate, Precision Racks WR250R/X luggage rack.

Now, I love the Givi stuff. It is great and works well. However their monopoly-like pricing can gently caress off. That said, adding luggage to my bikes has opened up a whole world of possibilities.

First off I got the Givi Wingrack 2 used off some forums. This uses the "Monokey" locking system. I won't really review it since it's discontinued but it is a well constructed but heavy beast. It has mounts for both side and top cases, and the top case mount can be removed. The whole Wingrack can be removed as a unit, but there are a couple small frame subframe mounts that stay behind.

Difficulty of install: 3/10. I had to cut couple small holes through the inner plastic fender for the subframe mounts. Fiddly, but easy especially if you had instructions (I did not).

Then I got the E22Ns. At 22L per, they are the perfect size for a side case. There is nothing special about them though. They are not double walled, and the locking mechanism and latch is not what I would call butter-smooth. They are as advertised though and are water proof. They're plastic but sturdy. They come with a bunch of extra keys which is nice. Givi makes larger cases that can be side mounted.

Difficulty of Insta.....they just click right in.

After that came the V47. This thing is the business. You can fit two full size helmets in there. There is a strap to hold things down and there appears to be other accessories for it like brake lights and a document pocket....mine is the basic one. The key is used both to pop the top and remove the case (hence, Monokey). This case is rubber sealed and double walled. Protip: keep one of these in there:

With the E22N and V47 top case I can fit a weeks worth of groceries, or a weeks worth of gear. So with my newfound love of luggage I got the Precision Rack for the WR250X and mounted the Givi universal monokey plate to it:

The Precision Rack is a unit that mounts more solidly than most WR racks, in multiple points. It is made of steel and isn't really light but is beefy and you could pick the bike up by it. You could just mount whatever directly to it but the 'beaut here is that I can take the V47 off the VFR and mount it to the WR250x in a few seconds. loving A.

Difficulty of Install: 3/10 on the P Rack. You have to remove the rear fender and drill a couple holes but the instructions are clear. The Givi plate is a simple matter of lining it up best you can and fastening it down. The Precision Rack claims to be "Givi compatible" but I don't find that to be 100% true. It's also supposed to be RotoPax compatible but I don't have any to test. You can see on the pic one of the rubber bumpers on the Givi mount fell off, no idea how since it takes effort to get them out.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Same way exactly one of the rubber feet always falls off your laptop, it's like a rule of nature.

Regarding Givi's monopoly pricing, Kappa are usually slightly cheaper and are fully compatible with Givi mounts. Why they should be cheaper is a complete mystery to me, since the reason they're compatible is because they come out of the same moulds in the same goddamn factory in Italy, because they are literally a subsidiary of Givi.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 1, 2019

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
So I am slowly building up to trying out my first track day. Usually beginner classes require leathers that zip together and a snell helmet, right? Is there anything special to buying track leathers, since they have to fit way closer? Selection at the local dealers kind of sucks so there aren't that many that I can go and try on in person... I assume tailoring them isn't generally an option since they're all triple-stitched with crazy kevlar bs and all that?

(Also what are decent cheap track-ok leathers? Fortnine recommended the Fieldsheer combo, is that one going to be ok?)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Where are you planning to do your track say? Ridesmart, in Texas has loaner boots and leathers, and they are free if it's you're first time with them.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Strife posted:

In terms of secret moto gear, these from TCX go real well with Tobacco jeans.

Are Tobacco jeans worth it? I've seem them advertised and do like the look of them but it works out to be like $600 NZ dollars which is quite a bit. At that price I expect them to be mind-blowing in terms of comfort and look amazing to match. Any alternatives or are they "the best" for what you pay?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I wanted to do the "try helmets on in store" thing but nobody around here seems to carry $400 full-face helmets with internal sun visors. So instead I have an order in with Cycle Gear for an XL and 2XL RPHA 70 and an XL EXO-ST1400. I chose ship to store so I guess I'll try them on there once they arrive.

If those don't work out I'll try the AGV K5. Anything else I should look at in this price range?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Jomo posted:

Are Tobacco jeans worth it? I've seem them advertised and do like the look of them but it works out to be like $600 NZ dollars which is quite a bit. At that price I expect them to be mind-blowing in terms of comfort and look amazing to match. Any alternatives or are they "the best" for what you pay?

Buy actual riding pants, not Jean's, especially for that price.

Though, anecdotally, Tobacco is actually pretty drat good.

FBS posted:

I wanted to do the "try helmets on in store" thing but nobody around here seems to carry $400 full-face helmets with internal sun visors. So instead I have an order in with Cycle Gear for an XL and 2XL RPHA 70 and an XL EXO-ST1400. I chose ship to store so I guess I'll try them on there once they arrive.

If those don't work out I'll try the AGV K5. Anything else I should look at in this price range?

Good old King Daddy Shoei GT-Air 12, fit and finish are off the charts, has pin-lock, great venting, dB range is within hearing damage tollerences while riding, provided you never turn your head or experience a side wind, very happy with it.

Compared to old RF-11

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Elviscat posted:

Buy actual riding pants, not Jean's, especially for that price.

Though, anecdotally, Tobacco is actually pretty drat good.

Good old King Daddy Shoei GT-Air 12, fit and finish are off the charts, has pin-lock, great venting, dB range is within hearing damage tollerences while riding, provided you never turn your head or experience a side wind, very happy with it.

Also provided you actually use the little bottle of silicone oil that comes with it so the visor seals don't perish.

Speaking of which, I finally got around to getting a tube of RTV to patch the upper seal on my neotec. Haven't rain tested it yet, but it's way quieter now, so at least it's keeping the wind out.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also provided you actually use the little bottle of silicone oil that comes with it so the visor seals don't perish.

So that's what that little bottle is for

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also to lube up the visor hinges, but yeah turns out if you don't oil visor seals every so often (and are riding literally every day in all conditions) they'll dry out and crack in a quarter of what you'd like the lifespan of a helmet that costs that much to be.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Which is funny because I just bought silicone grease for my car's window seals a month ago, but never considered doing it on my helmet. I usually have headphones in anyway (though I do wonder if that's bad for my ears as they don't block the sound as much as ear plugs)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I usually have headphones in anyway (though I do wonder if that's bad for my ears as they don't block the sound as much as ear plugs)

If you don't get really good isolation from them, yeah it is - you just end up cranking the audio to be louder than the wind noise and loving your ears over that way

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

They definitely block some sound out, as with no music they still work as ear plugs, but not as much as properly inserted foam plugs. I'm always 100% volume on my headphones anyway, whether I'm on my bike or at the gym. And yes, I already have tinnitus. Wear ear plugs to concerts people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

can I use like windex to clean my transition visor

I usually just use water