Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

please don't mention U.S. or he'll show up and re-mark the thread with his weird musk and cause a whole thing.

Urban Smurf’s posts are what make this thread worthwhile.

As far as I can tell nobody else in here is any closer to solving anything so you might at well get creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Every few months I check this thread. I never leave appointed.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Snowy posted:

Urban Smurf’s posts are what make this thread worthwhile.

As far as I can tell nobody else in here is any closer to solving anything so you might at well get creative.

While you have the possibly the best av on these leprous forums, the only thing less comprehensible than a US post is vouching for a US post. Pure gibberish man

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

BigBadSteve posted:

imagine if he had the treasure casks dug up and buried with him for a joke.

well, theres really only one way to find out... and i'm the man to do it!

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

DandyLion posted:

Hey bud yes sorry shits been crazy hectic with travel. I'll shoot you an email.

The latest search thing that I promised was sent for Sunday Morning hope you caught it.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
Best Josh Gates quote so far!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

FelchTragedy posted:

The latest search thing that I promised was sent for Sunday Morning hope you caught it.

Yeah I saw it, I'm back in town now and heading out this coming Sunday (October 6th) for some digs as per the latest insights.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.
I post this here before anywhere else on the internet. Watch this before EU tonight.
I am doing a San Francisco one as we speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs23Do5QDQQ

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.
The date stamps of these posts are important to prove they are before Expedition Unknown and anywhere else on the internet.
Also it's the motherload of answers.

San Francisco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70Bm-d-rmo

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Let's T_Roll.
Again date stamped post here first on good ole SA.

New York
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZq0Gu2yUzU

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

FelchTragedy posted:

Again date stamped post here first on good ole SA.

New York
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZq0Gu2yUzU

I watched your Charleston “conjecture” video that you posted on q4t yesterday. The best part was your shameless PayPal plug at the end.

You are out of your loving mind. These are rambling videos that take old information, rephrase it with a British accent and put it out there expecting some sort of payment or credit.

Best of luck bloke.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol, that's amazing.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
paranoid timestamps, PGP-encrypted love-letters to each other, murderboards...without exception, everyone involved in this poorly-constructed snipe hunt are complete loving goobers

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

3M TA3 posted:

I watched your Charleston “conjecture” video that you posted on q4t yesterday. The best part was your shameless PayPal plug at the end.

You are out of your loving mind. These are rambling videos that take old information, rephrase it with a British accent and put it out there expecting some sort of payment or credit.

Best of luck bloke.

I clicked on one, saw it was 28 minutes long, laughed and closed it. thank you for confirming my suspicions of insanity

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I clicked on one, saw it was 28 minutes long, laughed and closed it. thank you for confirming my suspicions of insanity

I’m glad I could save someone else the 20 minutes that I’ll never get back.
It was so bad that I thought there was a punchline coming at some point.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
People are trying to dig in SF today, unclear if wrists will be broken. https://www.facebook.com/bradley.hodges.56/videos/10157687742889489/

TipsyMc fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 5, 2019

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

TipsyMc posted:

People are trying to dig in SF today, unclear if wrists will be broken. https://www.facebook.com/bradley.hodges.56/videos/10157687742889489/

Page removed

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Piggy Smalls posted:

Page removed

It's still there, but I think you have to be a member of the facebook page to see it.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/thesecrettreasures/

It's just a livestream we did from the Sf meetup.
I dont think anyone dug holes during the meetup... they were too busy drinking beer.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
"New to the hunt, just emailed the mayor and the county commission before I even looked at the book because I am 100% sure I have the spot. Waiting for the Governor to respond to me. Already contacted local law enforcement to make sure I didn't get arrested due to my paranoid delusions. Glad to gently caress everyone else over, though, but when you find it for me we are going to donate it to the museum because I live thousands of miles away but give zero fucks about harassing local parks departments. Since I re-hashed an old theory that's been around for decades with one minor addition, you obviously owe all credit to me, and I'm willing to cut you a deal, since I also know where the Forest Fenn treasure is. Did I mention I am the first person to have ever thought of this in the now drat near 40 year old treasure hunt? They will listen to me, though. Email me your theories because I am the only hope you have to be in contact with the authorities and then I can steal it and pawn it off as my own. Thank you in advance for your cooperation."

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Cunning ruse currently underway in Boston. Details forthcoming.

No it wasn't Xie's spot.

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Merlot Brougham posted:

Cunning ruse currently underway in Boston. Details forthcoming.

No it wasn't Xie's spot.

If it was a ruse, it was good enough for Josh Gates to come running. He was 💯 in the North End in Boston filming a construction site today.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ooh spill more beans guys! I'm not in any Boston group but some weird dude in the Milwaukee group mentioned it in passing

edit: that "weird dude" is a moderator lol sounds about right

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...

Crusty Nutsack posted:

ooh spill more beans guys! I'm not in any Boston group but some weird dude in the Milwaukee group mentioned it in passing

edit: that "weird dude" is a moderator lol sounds about right

Eh. Steve is a nice guy. He loves his community... but he does come across as strange sometimes.

The podcast did a livestream for what is known about boston so far. You should stay skeptical but it looks promising.

The livestream audio was ripped and added to the podcast feed, you can find it on 12treasures

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I may be able to swing by there this weekend to see what’s going on and take some pics.

head58 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 18, 2019

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I’m listening to that podcast and the guy outlining his solve and lol. I upheld the Boston tradition of completely not following through on this.

head58 posted:

Boston

I'm new to the search but have been obsessing on it for a week or so now. I've only read about half of this thread and half the image11/verse 3 threads at q4t so forgive me if I've just missed this, but has any attention been given to the North End?

If we take the Horace Walpole/Mann tack for the Thucydides/Xenophon line in Verse 3 (the images on the BPL aren't in proper north/south alignment and I don't buy the idea that this is an If...Then...Else clue) to my eye it seems to be pointing there.

"The area of his direction" seems an odd phrase. Not "in his direction," in the area. If Thucydides' direction is north, the area of north might be the North End. Hey, it's riddle logic, right?

Granted, I don't have a lot else lining up yet. I haven't spent much time in that part of town. I've been looking at old pictures of the Central Artery or maybe the Bunker Hill Monument to see if they could be the "green tower of lights." The Italian connection to the peridot stone in image 11 is strong in that part of town, as is the Paul Revere angle. I read somewhere a suggested meaning of the USS Constitution (Ole Ironsides) for the metal walls, and the ship can be seen from the baseball diamond ("feel at home") in Puopolo Park. There are some nice stairs across the street from the park ("face the water/your back to the stairs"). Something nags at me to try to find a particular staircase with "five steps." If only I could nail down a post office across the harbor near the Naval yard I'd have the letters thing sewn up as well.

Anyway, it's kind of scattershot and I don't have a lot tying to the image yet. I hope to get out there and wander about with a camera in the next couple of weeks, and maybe try to line up the lady's hair with various sections of wharves and whatnot.

Or I could be completely off track and barking up all kinds of wrong trees. A distinct possibility.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Merlot Brougham posted:

"New to the hunt, just emailed the mayor and the county commission before I even looked at the book because I am 100% sure I have the spot. Waiting for the Governor to respond to me. Already contacted local law enforcement to make sure I didn't get arrested due to my paranoid delusions. Glad to gently caress everyone else over, though, but when you find it for me we are going to donate it to the museum because I live thousands of miles away but give zero fucks about harassing local parks departments. Since I re-hashed an old theory that's been around for decades with one minor addition, you obviously owe all credit to me, and I'm willing to cut you a deal, since I also know where the Forest Fenn treasure is. Did I mention I am the first person to have ever thought of this in the now drat near 40 year old treasure hunt? They will listen to me, though. Email me your theories because I am the only hope you have to be in contact with the authorities and then I can steal it and pawn it off as my own. Thank you in advance for your cooperation."

Treasure for the taking, piled high.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

head58 posted:

I’m listening to that podcast and the guy outlining his solve and lol. I upheld the Boston tradition of completely not following through on this.

I was in North End a couple weeks ago and while I didn't do any treasure hunting (because I value my time) I did think of the "nearby high posts are three" thing when I was on the USS Constitution. I know everyone has already settled on which verse goes to which picture, but I'm pretty sure that's why only 2 were ever found. The verses, at least some of them, are being paired with incorrect pictures.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

head58 posted:

I may be able to swing by there this weekend to see what’s going on and take some pics.

This thread needs more pics of people looking and digging. Do it!

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar

This is the gist of whats going on in Boston (courtesy of The Secret Facebook group):

This is important. Please read all of it.

Now that we have all had a chance to catch our breath from recent developments, it's important to me that you all know exactly what happened, and why the podcast team released this information the way we did.

On Friday Oct 11th Crackerjack115 posted on the 12keys subreddit that the Boston casque had been dug up in langone park. He was immediately questioned pretty heavily. He said that the construction crew who dug it up were working with EU. I sent an email to EU's producer and was told "This is the first I'm hearing of this. Thanks"

I went back to the subreddit and claimed it was basically fake news.

Then Gates did his video.

The other day I got two messages, one from Michael (the guy on the livestream who went down and tried to meet Gates) and one from a very angry person, who represented a team of solvers in Boston. That team saw Gate's video and got scared. They went by the construction site and saw Gates there. They said they felt like they had their information stolen from them by the construction crew (who they had spoken to) and the construction crew was using this to get on EU. I told them to calm down while I looked into it.

I asked Jeff and Sarah to swing by the construction site to take a look. Luckily they were both very close. They let me know that Gates was there and he had the book with him. Jeff got past security due to his connections and found someone (who will not be named) who was NOT under NDA, and who had exactly 1 picture of what was found. That picture was taken shortly after it was taken out of the ground. He sent the picture to Jeff who sent the picture to me.

Those angry people from earlier were getting tired of waiting. They messaged me saying they were going to post their story to the facebook group. They were going to say that the construction crew got a friend to claim the find, that it was all bullshit, and they were scammed. (This absolutely does not seem to be the case.)

As soon as they said that, I consulted with several members of the podcast team, thought i did not go into much detail. Ultimately I didn't want them to have to defend themselves if everything went haywire.

We decided to go public with what we had.

The idea was to bring it to the community as a positive, while also showing that other people were in the same area, had talked to the same foreman, and those people were not angry about someone else getting the claim. I wanted to put it out that way so that your first taste of a new casque wasn't painted in a negative light.

I don't know if that worked... I hope it did.

You guys... the whole community handled this exceptionally well. Some of you called fraud, some accepted it right away, some of you were slightly skeptical. But after a couple days everyone has calmed down... everyone is working together and playing nice again.

We are pretty sure a casque has come out of the ground at this point, which is great. We ruined EU's announcement, and we ruined whoever found this casque's chances of a surprise TV reveal.

To whoever that is... I'm deeply sorry. But I would much rather you come into a community expecting the results and waiting to welcome you, than a community who has a sour taste for you and thinks you are a fraud. I apologize, but hopefully knowing the reasons behind my actions will help you understand them.

So please remember that we are all in this together. He who has the casque worked the puzzle and deserves the credit. Welcome them into the community, or back to the community with excitement and love.

Party on.

Background info: Construction crew digging up an old baseball diamond is approached by treasure hunters asking them to look out for the casque. Expedition Unknown TV show gets wind of it, probably travels to site with bags of money asking them to keep quiet so they can release the info on their show.

TipsyMc fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 20, 2019

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

That sounds exciting and interesting but without Facebook access/lots of background it's 80% gobbeldygook beyond the basics of langone park and a probable cask find. Is there a summary for dummies somewhere?

E: It is me who is the big dummy to be clear

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 20, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

That sounds exciting and interesting but without Facebook access/lots of background it's 80% gobbeldygook beyond the basics of langone park and a probable cask find. Is there a summary for dummies somewhere?

Theres just the reddit thread where a person posted a solve like a week ago. Seems really threadbare and there's nothing in it unique to the site imo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/12keys/comments/cvxs4i/my_boston_solution_unfortunately_it_may_be_too/

We're all waiting to figure out exactly how this spot matches the clues in the verse.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

and somehow we know that's actually the casque because...?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I didn't realize how deeply this dumb book had broken some people's brains.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

and somehow we know that's actually the casque because...?

There's a comparison thing between the largest of those shards and the original cask mold at that reddit link (the related/downstream threads, not just the linked one), and there's an overlay with the key from a previous find that matches one of the shapes pretty exactly. It's still all kludgey but it looks like there's something pretty solid, I guess?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

There's a comparison thing between the largest of those shards and the original cask mold at that reddit link (the related/downstream threads, not just the linked one), and there's an overlay with the key from a previous find that matches one of the shapes pretty exactly. It's still all kludgey but it looks like there's something pretty solid, I guess?

oh, I see that now, thanks.

all this silly drama and crazy people really takes the fun out of this for me now, it's just so tiring and impossible to keep up across 17 platforms (unless you yourself have succumbed to the crazy) :smith:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

How are the wrists of the construction crew?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Holy poo poo a casque was actually dug up. As expected it's just shards of pottery at this point, but still.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The podcast goes through the verse line by line. It’s a good fit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pumped up for school posted:

How are the wrists of the construction crew?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSEVyzKmlyU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BigFactory posted:

The podcast goes through the verse line by line. It’s a good fit.

You're totally right, thanks! Direct link for any other curious folks: https://12treasures.com/podcast/boston-maybe/