Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pellisworth posted:

My cat is totally quiet when strange humans are around (but friendly), when it's just me she makes a whole assortment of weird cat noises. I described them to my dad as "imagine R2-D2" and he laughed.

What I'm saying is my dumb idiot fluffy trash baby constantly produces trill meow chirp beep boop *indignant meow* upward trill, downward trill, trills when jumping up/down onto things, runs across the room making weird noises, responds to her name with a quick meow

I dunno cats are weird

edit: I will try to take some video but she is extremely suspicious of my phone so :shrug:

Perfectly normal. My girl cat makes all sorts of noises when doing all sorts of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

TMMadman posted:

Perfectly normal. My girl cat makes all sorts of noises when doing all sorts of things.

I kind of envy those of you with talky cats. I've had a series of Probably-has-some-Maine-Coon-in-him rescues, and I only ever get an absurd tiny "eh!" from them. And I'm therefore expected to read their minds.

Of course if I had a talky cat, I'd probably be wishing for less talk and more "eh!" at least some of the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My cat was silent up until she about fourteen when she discovered it was easier to shout at people than do things herself, and she never shut up again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MikeJF posted:

My cat was silent up until she about fourteen when she discovered it was easier to shout at people than do things herself, and she never shut up again.

The cat I had for most of my life growing up was similar. Completely quiet for most of his life until in his later years he discovered that meowing could make humans open doors.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Aleta is pretty quiet. She recently started trilling, which I love, but that means she no longer usually makes the specific high-pitched bird noises when she's looking for me, which were the inspiration for her name. Aww.

Luna is quiet unless I'm being too loud, then she gives me a sweet, ladylike talking-to.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Ours was quiet when she arrived, she would open her mouth but no sound came out. After a month or so she was squeaking at us, and now she's discovered a whole array of beeps, mrrs, and whines.
She definitely learned to make noise from us :sigh:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I think Luna being so quiet definitely set the precedent for Aleta.

Also, late, but here's my revolting nicknames list:

ALETA:
Lee-lee
Lee-lee Boo
Boo
Boo-faced monkey
Small Lady
Stinks
Chubs
Ari-chan
Aleta Bonita Guapita Gatita Pequeñita
Stanky rear end
Boo-rear end Boo
LITTLE BABY!!!

LUNA:
Ghostita
Lulu
Luna Tuna Can
Lunita Tunita
Boo-na
Grumpy Butt
Mystery Cat
Fatass

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

The cat I had for most of my life growing up was similar. Completely quiet for most of his life until in his later years he discovered that meowing could make humans open doors.

I think it's pretty common for cats to get shouty in senior age.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Mel is pretty noisy and always has been. If she's not happy she'll let you know it by meowing up a goddamn storm, if she wants attention she'll jump on the nearest surface in front of you (but not in your lap, she hates being held or on other people, fuckin' cats man) and meow, if she's hungry she'll come over to you, meow, and then try to lead you to her food bowl, turning back around and following you while meowing if you don't follow her, the list goes on.

Also she chirps at birds. A lot. When I remember to fill my bird feeder outside of my window she will sit there for hours chirping at them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
How do I get catbutt to stop digging in my houseplants. It's the third time she's decided to partially excavate a pot.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

How do I get catbutt to stop digging in my houseplants. It's the third time she's decided to partially excavate a pot.

Decorative stones over the dirt?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pellisworth posted:

Dig up and spray her litter all over the place. That will show her who's the boss!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

owls or something posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, thanks

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

owls or something posted:

Probably not a good idea, the only plants Katya harasses are the ones with those clay balls mixed in with the soil because HEY A BALL.
She's recently taken to batting at the plants and clawing the soil whenever she's sulky and craves negative attention, she knows she's not supposed to but that's why she's doing it. She's being such a teenager lately, it's annoying but we're trying to be firm yet gentle parents about it.

e: I guess this is a different issue though, if the cat's only interested in the soil covering it might work.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Dunno, worked for me. Don't get ball shaped stones?

Edit: I used stuff like this meant for aquariums. To big to be fun to dig in or pick up. Just not that particular brand/color.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 2, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have a feeling that you can find a cat who likes to dig up any of the possible solutions, the question is which kind of cat is yours?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Thanks for the advice about names and stuff here's my cat tax:

This li'l lady was brought to the RSPCA after her owner, who is 94 and has dementia, was found eating the cat food. She had been called Baby, which is a stupid name, so we have renamed her Wednesday because giving a goth name to a white cat is funny, and we picked her up on a Wednesday. She's 4ish and has some manx in her, hence the stubby tail!

She's been very brave and warmed to me and my husband really quickly. She's acted almost like a toddler, coming to us for fuss and boops before exploring another section of the spare room. She even briefly checked out the hallway! I am hopeful she will settle in with us pretty quickly.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Bollock Monkey posted:

This li'l lady was brought to the RSPCA after her owner, who is 94 and has dementia, was found eating the cat food. She had been called Baby, which is a stupid name, so we have renamed her Wednesday because giving a goth name to a white cat is funny, and we picked her up on a Wednesday. She's 4ish and has some manx in her, hence the stubby tail!

She's been very brave and warmed to me and my husband really quickly. She's acted almost like a toddler, coming to us for fuss and boops before exploring another section of the spare room. She even briefly checked out the hallway! I am hopeful she will settle in with us pretty quickly.

She's sooooo pretty!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Bollock Monkey posted:

I love Wednesday

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

We are (supervised) letting the kitten loose in the house whilst the older cat is also about.

Eartha (4yo) is keeping strong distance and sticking in place, growling when Mochi (kitten) approaches, even from 5-6ft away, and hisses if shes within a couple feet.
On the very limited occasion mochi's got within "arm's reach", eartha has raised a paw to her, but not actually struck, and mochi is largely standing ground, reeling back a little but not actively falling away.

Eartha has a couple of times ended up backing up from those points, to our concern she backed up right into a bookcase in the corner meaning she wouldn't really have anywhere to go without moving toward mochi.

We've got feliway on the go etc etc, we think Eartha is maybe just being territorial about the space, but she could do real damage to mochi if provoked, and mochi has next to no fear, the second she turns away from Eartha and comes to either of us, she'll be purring away again.

Thoughts? Is everything alright and Eartha just needs more time t get used to it, or are we doing something wrong.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bollock Monkey posted:

Wanna pet that cat.

mehall posted:

We are (supervised) letting the kitten loose in the house whilst the older cat is also about.

Eartha (4yo) is keeping strong distance and sticking in place, growling when Mochi (kitten) approaches, even from 5-6ft away, and hisses if shes within a couple feet.
On the very limited occasion mochi's got within "arm's reach", eartha has raised a paw to her, but not actually struck, and mochi is largely standing ground, reeling back a little but not actively falling away.

Eartha has a couple of times ended up backing up from those points, to our concern she backed up right into a bookcase in the corner meaning she wouldn't really have anywhere to go without moving toward mochi.

We've got feliway on the go etc etc, we think Eartha is maybe just being territorial about the space, but she could do real damage to mochi if provoked, and mochi has next to no fear, the second she turns away from Eartha and comes to either of us, she'll be purring away again.

Thoughts? Is everything alright and Eartha just needs more time t get used to it, or are we doing something wrong.

Honestly it all sounds completely normal. I wouldn't recommend leaving them alone unsupervised for a while yet, but that hissing will inevitably subside as your older cat gets used to the kitten. This is actually good for the kitten too, they learn boundaries and how to relate to other cats.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly it all sounds completely normal. I wouldn't recommend leaving them alone unsupervised for a while yet, but that hissing will inevitably subside as your older cat gets used to the kitten. This is actually good for the kitten too, they learn boundaries and how to relate to other cats.

Thought this was the answer, but good to hear it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mehall posted:

Thought this was the answer, but good to hear it.

Also, don't be surprised if the hissing never goes away, or if your cat swats at the kitten. This is how kittens learn what is and is not permissible behavior.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

my two adult cats still hiss at each other whenever they get too into things every once in awhile

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, hissing and the occasional swat is absolutely normal for cats, regardless of whether they are housemates or not.

Occasionally one my cats will sort of meet one of my neighbors cats in the hall or door to one of our apartments as we chat in the hall and there's always that growling whine or hissing and my neighbor always tries to stop it and seemingly admonishes her cats while I just say "hey, that's just what strange cats do when they meet each other."

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Wednesday seems to have accidentally found herself in the big, scary living room. She was found wedged behind our axolotl tank and started mewing plaintively when she realised humans were up and about. But how awesome that's she's already doing such a big explore! She's being really chatty this morning and it's very sweet, in the RSPCA notes it took her several days to start occasionally talking to the staff.

Last night she wolfed down her wet food and used the litter tray for the first time - despite us being in the same room. It makes me feel like a lame parent being excited that my cat did a piss but it really shows that she's starting to settle into her new home.

She seems to feel so much braver when we're around - she'll sit in the same spot for ages until she has human company, at which point she will start sniffing around and trying out different vantage points. Is that something other people have experienced?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bollock Monkey posted:

She seems to feel so much braver when we're around - she'll sit in the same spot for ages until she has human company, at which point she will start sniffing around and trying out different vantage points. Is that something other people have experienced?

Yeah I've seen similar before. You've got yourself a cat that really needs people - this means she'll probably be REALLY affectionate and sweet, but she probably will also have separation anxiety. It's probably strange for her to not have a person around.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Bollock Monkey posted:

Yep. One of mine even needed me to be within arm's reach in order to feel comfortable enough to eat his food.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Any advice for socializing a feral kitten? She looks to be about 4 weeks old and is extremely hissy and defensive. I've only had her for about six hours and she's been in isolation. With the local shelters being super full, and the experienced fosters overbooked, I want to make sure I'm doing right by this little girl.

She's eating (wet food, Blue Buffalo kitten) but she's not yet left her cave for the litter box or water.

Would it be okay to burrito her in something soft tomorrow and just hold her and feed her? Or would that be too stressful?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Peeved Cat

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

my cat is norris posted:

Any advice for socializing a feral kitten? She looks to be about 4 weeks old and is extremely hissy and defensive. I've only had her for about six hours and she's been in isolation. With the local shelters being super full, and the experienced fosters overbooked, I want to make sure I'm doing right by this little girl.

She's eating (wet food, Blue Buffalo kitten) but she's not yet left her cave for the litter box or water.

Would it be okay to burrito her in something soft tomorrow and just hold her and feed her? Or would that be too stressful?

She mainly needs time to realize she's safe and you're not going to eat her. We generally lock a new cat in the litterbox room for at least a few hours (with some food and water) until they've used it to make sure they know where it is.

Otherwise, just leave her alone for a couple days and let her acclimatize to her new surroundings. The kitten in her will gradually take over and she'll get curious about her new home and start looking for a substitute mother.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

my cat is norris posted:

Four weeks is very young. Did they say she is fully weaned? If she is, then there's no need to push her; she has to feel safe before she'll come out. Just let her be in her quiet little cave with her water, food, and litter pan nearby, and gently place her in her pan after she eats. She'll catch on and will start exploring when she's ready. Right now she isn't ready for socializing.

If she isn't fully weaned, then there are more things you need to do pretty quickly to take care of her, so I hope that the shelter told you whether she is or isn't?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

my cat is norris posted:

I would say the best option is just to go sit in the room, basically be as still as possible and ignore the kitten. It will almost certainly eventually come around and investigate you at some point.

I mean either that just grab the kitten, put it in your lap and pet it. If it's only 4 months old, then it really can't do any damage to you if you're wearing like jeans/hoodie and any stress from being picked up will be immediately replaced by pets that feel good.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 5, 2019

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Is 4 weeks still young enough to worry about body heat? Asking for op because it could be important

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcD8DrJKejQ

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 5, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Is 4 weeks still young enough to worry about body heat? Asking for op because it could be important

It's a good point. Most kits regulate their body heat pretty well by 4 weeks, if they aren't underweight. Still, it isn't a bad idea to provide a source of gentle warmth.

There are devices sold just for this, but in a pinch, one can still do what our great grandmothers did - heat a brick in the oven, wrap it in a nice thick towel, and put it in the kit's enclosure a bit away from her bed, so that she can go to it or move away from it when she wants.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

TofuDiva posted:

Four weeks is very young. Did they say she is fully weaned? If she is, then there's no need to push her; she has to feel safe before she'll come out. Just let her be in her quiet little cave with her water, food, and litter pan nearby, and gently place her in her pan after she eats. She'll catch on and will start exploring when she's ready. Right now she isn't ready for socializing.

If she isn't fully weaned, then there are more things you need to do pretty quickly to take care of her, so I hope that the shelter told you whether she is or isn't?

She hasn't been seen by the shelter or anyone yet. Vet tomorrow if they have an opening!

We scooped her up from our yard whenever mama kitty was out prowling for food and baby was trying to follow. I'm hoping she's completely weaned, but I can't tell. She is clearly eating the wet food so that's a good sign. Eyes are fully open, ears up. She's very mobile and strong and not wobbly, though she does have blue eyes still.

We're not sure if there's more of a litter or not, or we'd try to reunite her with mama kitty through trapping. These kitties are part of a feral group in the neighborhood we're aiming to trap, spay/neuter, and release. This little girl is small enough though that I think socializing her and getting her into a good home will be better for her and the neighborhood in the long run.

I'll give her more peace and space tomorrow, and start hanging out in the bathroom with her as I have down time! I won't force burritos yet unless she seems like she's not doing well.

Thank you for the advice thus far!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Re: heat, we have a low warmth space heater providing extra ambient heat in the bathroom by a second kitten cave, but we don't have any heating pads or anything. I'll see what I can find!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

my cat is norris posted:

Re: heat, we have a low warmth space heater providing extra ambient heat in the bathroom by a second kitten cave, but we don't have any heating pads or anything. I'll see what I can find!

If she can go to that second cave in the warm area, and it's got a cozy nest of some sort in it for snuggling, I think you've got the warmth issue covered :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
The big thing with ferals is to make sure you're there when they're eating. If they make the association that people = food it's your biggest first step to associate people with safety and eventually, socialization. Maslow's hierarchy of needs may not be an entirely accurate theory for people but it does work for cats real well. Make sure you're close when the kitten is eating, reward them with treats for interacting with you (eventually working up to them taking the treats from your hands if possible), and be a quiet, safe presence in the room and they'll eventually come around.