Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

For some reason I get horrible performance on the main branch. Moving to the beta branch fixed it, so if anyone else has frame rate issues, I'd suggest trying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

beta branch starts you with a full water flask

Oh so no reason to ever explore level 1 because you already have the best item you could find?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Possible use for the cement spell: building a gigantic cradle for dormant crystals with which to kill the boss.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the cement spell is cool. what are the new perks im traveling and haven't gotten to look?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's a perk that increases wand accuracy in exchange for massive recoil. You can use it to fly indefinitely with a pretty wimpy wand

e: didn't get a chance to try that with the starter wand but I had one that was pretty close. Also didn't get a chance to try the perk with a spell that already had appreciable recoil - I imagine it would send you flying backwards half a screen

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 2, 2019

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Oh so no reason to ever explore level 1 because you already have the best item you could find?

I guess it's a balance, but an empty flask would be a more reasonable starting item.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So there's this giant worm in the ice zone that can dig through everything, even temple bricks, which in turn pisses off the gods into hatemurdering you before the next level.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Does the beta branch work on the gog version? I've got the beta channel enabled in the launcher but it's just the standard release version still.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So there's this giant worm in the ice zone that can dig through everything, even temple bricks, which in turn pisses off the gods into hatemurdering you before the next level.

for everyone having trouble with this, there's no requirement that you fight the temple god between floors if you've pissed them off. You'll get messed up if you try to slip past them in the perk room, so lure them into the shop area with a little more ceiling room and then run past to the next level. after you take your perk the cave in will trap the skelegod into the shop and you'll be good to go for another floor

it's not 100% foolproof, and you'll probably take some hits on the way to the next floor, but it should never be an instant KO before you even get to see anything new

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I just learned today that the 2 pools in the holy temples are "holy water" and will refill any flasks As long as there's a little bit left in it. Use them to refill bottles of blood or invisibilium.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
[quo="Ass_Burgerer" post="498771832"]
I just learned today that the 2 pools in the holy temples are "holy water" and will refill any flasks As long as there's a little bit left in it. Use them to refill bottles of blood or invisibilium.
[/quote]

Wow if you get lucky (it's insanely rare and I don't think there's a consistent alchemy recipe for it) and get a healing potion that is really really good. You're sure that's what it's doing and not just mixing the contents with water? Because you can definitely have more than one type of liquid in a flask

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Ass_Burgerer posted:

It spawns from an egg in a nest up on a branch to the left of the starting point. If you grab the egg, you can stop it from ever spawning.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

That's another good idea, I think "more consistently interesting starts" is something that would really help the game out and that way you have something to build and play around from floor 1. Right now the mines are in a way the weakest part of the game IMO -- they're not that dangerously if you play cautiously, and so your only incentive not to scour every inch of the floor for wands and gold and max hp boosts is just skipping that and pushing ahead because it's kind of tedious to do so. I kind of like that there's no timer but there needs to be something besides boredom keeping me from min-maxing by sweeping the whole first level

This is a good point, I agree the mines are in need of spicing up somehow. I dont know if an initial perk is the thing but something would be cool, it can turn into a bit of a slog if you dont find more bombs / a way to burn wood and you're good enough at the game that nothing in the mine really threatens you.

Maybe starting with a torch wand in addition to the other two? Its a cool efffect, would help you move around the mines a bit more freely and mess with the environment more without making you much more powerful.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So what causes a HUGE number of acid eyes to appear on the overworld? that was an unpleasant surprise.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It happens when you go high enough at the tree.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

https://steamcommunity.com/id/resistentialism/screenshots/?appid=0&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

Stupidity, tediousness and cement.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Turns out you can abuse that thing where materials created without any space will spawn in the next open spot available above them.

And the end boss glitches out of being stuck.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

getting to watch your horrible stupid deaths in slow motion as the save replay processes is really just the icing on the cake

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
https://i.imgur.com/B0h2dxC.mp4

:owned:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I love this loving game and can't wait to watch it grow.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Make it to the Hissho Base with a really solid shield/lightning wand and fireball-trigger/explosive cross combo and a giga black hole. See the electricity perk. There's lots of metal walls there I bet that could really gently caress the baddies up, and I already got explosion immunity last level so I don't have to worry about those canisters blowing me up.

Still die to a combination of freezing mist and fire before getting even a quarter through it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
personally i find the base to be way less dangerous than the caves, because it’s much easier to set up a chokepoint that lets you deal with your problems one at a time

also no lightning devils

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Cave snipers and rocket robots are probably the things killing me the most.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The daily run's first level seems pretty generous. All seeing eye, a homing mod.

Did the daily run always have different starting spells?

Ah but there's a nuke wand or something on the 2nd level, with a shotgun guy nearby.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 2, 2019

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Edit Wands Anywhere feels insanely rare. I've only found it once across dozens of multi-level runs. Anyone else having better luck?

In general, it definitely feels like some perks are much more common than others. I'm not sure if it's just anecdotal, but it wouldn't surprise me if ones like EWA and Perk Lottery have significantly lower chances of showing up compared to something like, say, Bleeds Slime or Teleportitis.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 2, 2019

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Hiveminded posted:

Edits Wands Anywhere feels insanely rare. I've only found it once across dozens of multi-level runs. Anyone else having better luck?

I've found it a handful of times in a few dozen runs, but with only 3 perk choices per level and something like 42 perks, the odds of you seeing it aren't guaranteed by any stretch. You'll get 6 perks normally in a complete run, and I've never seen the same perk show up twice under normal circumstances.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Over There posted:

I love this loving game and can't wait to watch it grow.

it rules. not an emptyquote.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Somebody found a function hidden in the debug mode cheatengine script that lets them see script trigger points and what they do, whoooooole lotta secrets to figure out now.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

just learned the hard way tentacle grabbing is sometimes a liability...

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This game does indeed own but I've yet to get past level 3 intact. I really do not like the "poke enemies off the edge of the screen" gameplay you seem to get forced into if you don't get something obscene. Best wand I had was one that fired 3x homing sawblades because of the sheer damage while keeping me unharmed.

I think shuffle wands should be the exception rather than the rule because it undermines the spellcrafting a bit. If shuffle wands were good statswise to make them better "machine gun" builds vs non-shuffle being a bit more deliberate it might be a good compromise but I'm sure there's a million balance reasons why this would be a bad idea.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A shield or some other way to mitigate bullets really, really helps with the ice caves and the base. It's pretty much mandatory if you don't have some way to torch motherfuckers from behind cover. You're pretty much hosed if you don't have either one of those things

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not really, the snipers miss you every time if you're moving perpendicular to their shots

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

For the ice caves, work your way to the right along the top edge until you get to the empty transition area, and then, with nothing sneaking up behind you, you can work your way down or clear more to the left looking for stuff. Jet pack guys are a lot easier to fight if you're above them.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Songbearer posted:

If shuffle wands were good statswise to make them better "machine gun" builds vs non-shuffle being a bit more deliberate it might be a good compromise but I'm sure there's a million balance reasons why this would be a bad idea.

Shuffle wands *are* better statswise -- unless you can stack enough of the right spells/modifiers, the best machine gun wands tend to be shuffles. On that note, it should also be said that there are some preset wands beyond just the starting two that are the same across all playthroughs (or at least, I'm pretty sure as much). I've frequently seen in multiple runs a small pale yellow wand that always has 0.10 cast time, 0.07 recharge time, 4 slots, and shuffle, and it's consistently my go-to for machine gun dps.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

[Lava lake spoiler] Is there any advantage to crossing the lava lake to take the shortcut to the ice caves? Missing out on two Holy Mountain areas really sucks.

Also, regarding alchemy: do I need to mix liquids together in a flask to create something new or can I just pour liquids into a big puddle and see if anything cool happens?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh, right. That's good to know then - I guess I wasn't looking close enough or Borderlands has made me expect everything is procgenned. Fair enough.

Something I think the game could desperately use and probably will get eventually is a way to name the wands. While it's fairly easy to remember which wand does which it would make deciding which one to ditch faster. Also maybe you could feed wands to other wands to reload them? Have specific ones that can regain charge by applying them to certain materials? So much potential with this game.

How about a way to mess around in a sandbox and save specific wand configurations to have them show up in future runs? That'd be a cool twist on roguelike progression mechanics like unlocking items that show up later.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TACD posted:

[Lava lake spoiler] Is there any advantage to crossing the lava lake to take the shortcut to the ice caves? Missing out on two Holy Mountain areas really sucks.
you can go back in the other direction, from level 3 to 1, which you probably wanna do if you want to explore topside because you'll want at least one of digging+teleport

also the guaranteed health up from the orb across the pit once you've taken it at least once

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

I think it’s less a shortcut and more of a way back up. The walls are climbable.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Don't know if it has been mentioned before but you can use a tentacle spell to pull spells for purchase out of a temple into the next level at which point they will become free. Dunno if it works on wands as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I see there are mimics in this game. How wonderful.