Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

RareAcumen posted:

Doesn't he have assistants with that? Or is that just on MP100?

Only with MP100 since he makes money off of that, and IIRC it's only for stuff like backgrounds and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I assume the man is ordering the cat to stop playing with his dinner and finish the bloody kid. He may not understand how cats work.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Darth TNT posted:

I assume the man is ordering the cat to stop playing with his dinner and finish the bloody kid. He may not understand how cats work.

That's the kid's dad, so unfortunately no.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So has Murata's comic caught up with ON's webtoon? I notice that their chapter count is the same.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

punk rebel ecks posted:

So has Murata's comic caught up with ON's webtoon? I notice that their chapter count is the same.

It has not, there's been some content (and even characters) added to the Manga that weren't in the webcomic.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah, Murata's version contains a lot of new content that wasn't in the original.

It is not a one for one deal.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I see. Should I go back and read Murata's comic or stick with ONE's?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Read both

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Should I just read One and watch the anime, or is the anime still bad?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

punk rebel ecks posted:

Lmao no. Murata is slightly over halfway.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why are you so determined to avoid the work of the best manga artist alive today? Kind of weird.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

One is partly into a new arc past the arc that Murata's currently doing.

punk rebel ecks posted:

S2 is animated and drawn worse than the Manga.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Murata illustrated manga is more than just the webcomic redrawn. It's like an entirely different take on the story.

Edit: forgot what dang thread this was

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 1, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Murata's version is ONE's version, so.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's insane how bad Season 2 of the anime is. I can't think of another anime adaption that started off so strong just to trip over its dick in the second season.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Murata's version is ONE's version, so.

That's true, and I've edited my post. Calling it the "Murata version" may be undercrediting ONE's involvement.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It sounds like Murata's version is just ONE's second draft illustrated by a more competent artist. Like one does some rewrites and tells Murata what to draw.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

punk rebel ecks posted:

It sounds like Murata's version is just ONE's second draft illustrated by a more competent HORNY artist. Like one does some rewrites and tells Murata what to draw to stop drawing and spend more time with his family.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It sounds like Murata's version is just ONE's second draft illustrated by a more competent artist. Like one does some rewrites and tells Murata what to draw.

ONE even does all the storyboarding for the manga, too. Murata sometimes offers suggestions here and there on how action should flow and so forth, but it's all up to ONE in the end.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Billzasilver posted:

Lmao no. Murata is slightly over halfway.

A lot more than halfway. I say he'll catch up in two years, but it's hard to tell. It depends on how much Muratas version stretches moments and on how sporadically ONE decides to update the webcomic

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Anyways I recommend reading ONEs version as well, at least up to where it is right now, you get a tighter and funnier experience IMO

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

punk rebel ecks posted:

It sounds like Murata's version is just ONE's second draft illustrated by a more competent artist.

Nah, it's just flat up a fully distinct take on the story. It's like going from Buttlord GT to Dragonball Z.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 30, 2019

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

EimiYoshikawa posted:

ONE even does all the storyboarding for the manga, too. Murata sometimes offers suggestions here and there on how action should flow and so forth, but it's all up to ONE in the end.

Bit of a correction: ONE gives Murata the drafts and general direction, but stuff like actions sequences sometimes ONE lets Murata have full control (with ONE having final say of course). For example, Genos's amazing battle against Elder Centipede was something Murata completely made up, as ONE's draft only had 2 pages where Genos runs up to EC and gets snipped in half and lose. Murata was the one who let Genos have all his cool badass moments instead (and then lose but with a different tone). Instead of another "Genos jobs comedically" moment, we have a much more emotional one where his very best still wasn't enough to defeat the monster. Murata also has influence on other characters too, like Spring Mustachio was someone Murata heavily expanded compared to ONE's original idea.

Anyway what I'm saying is that purely attributing either ONE or Murata with full credit does a disservice to them both.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 30, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

Anyways I recommend reading ONEs version as well, at least up to where it is right now, you get a tighter and funnier experience IMO

Yeah I just finished the remaining three chapters I wasn't caught up with.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Instead of another "Genos jobs comedically" moment, we have a much more emotional one where his very best still wasn't enough to defeat the monster.
And thank him for that because ONE has a very unrestrained dislike for Genos overall.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think One is probably a good mangaka and I look forward to reading Mob one day but the story and humor in One Punch, while very good!, are not nearly good enough for me to want to read through it in a tenth of the time and with one thousandth of the spectacle. I'm here because they make an incredible team that produce an incredible product together, I would have no interest in this series if you took away either half.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

you can just watch the mob psycho anime its very good

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Is it just me who don't find these hero battles all that interesting? Feels like this is dragging on compared to the source material. Like I get the point of wanting to flesh things out but it just feels like mediocre padding. The art is becoming slightly less impressive at the moment as well. Last noteworthy event art wise I can recall was Orochi.

IMHO this arc peaked when the A-Rank heroes including Death Gatling tried to kill Garou and its been ups and downs from there.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think One is probably a good mangaka and I look forward to reading Mob one day but the story and humor in One Punch, while very good!, are not nearly good enough for me to want to read through it in a tenth of the time and with one thousandth of the spectacle. I'm here because they make an incredible team that produce an incredible product together, I would have no interest in this series if you took away either half.

Eeeh. Imagine if Vaccine Man had his storyline today. I'm not sure the five chapters of furious battling between the heroes, including two chapters where we learn that Lighting Max is pushing himself too hard to prove his promotion to A rank wasn't a mistake, would really help that story.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Muratas version is about ten thousand times better and it is the unique mix of humor AND awesome action that makes it so great. If you don't care about fighty action sequences I can maybe see why you'd prefer a bunch of lukwarm jokes in a row I guess

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

Muratas version is about ten thousand times better and it is the unique mix of humor AND awesome action that makes it so great. If you don't care about fighty action sequences I can maybe see why you'd prefer a bunch of lukwarm jokes in a row I guess

It's uniquely passive aggressive to say you like the unique mix of "humor AND action" then basically immediately insult the humor

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bisse posted:

Is it just me who don't find these hero battles all that interesting? Feels like this is dragging on compared to the source material. Like I get the point of wanting to flesh things out but it just feels like mediocre padding. The art is becoming slightly less impressive at the moment as well. Last noteworthy event art wise I can recall was Orochi.

IMHO this arc peaked when the A-Rank heroes including Death Gatling tried to kill Garou and its been ups and downs from there.

Murata's work is a visual feast but frankly I think the ONE version is overall a lot punchier and that is something I appreciate more

that said I like the cat villain and appreciate the rookies being a springboard for it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
They're both really drat good and even the ONE version conveys a really good sense of action in scenes that have not happened in Murata's version yet

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Consume all of OPM in the medium of your preference, then consume it again in another medium. Consume it a third time if you must, then go to Mob Psycho 100.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

Eeeh. Imagine if Vaccine Man had his storyline today. I'm not sure the five chapters of furious battling between the heroes, including two chapters where we learn that Lighting Max is pushing himself too hard to prove his promotion to A rank wasn't a mistake, would really help that story.
If One storyboarded it and Murata drew it, hell yeah I'd read that. It was super short when it first happened, if it happened now it would be because One had written enough to make it worth showing and Murata would spice it way the hell up.

But you have to understand I am easily amused. The only time in this whole manga that I've felt any fatigue at all, including the tournament arc, was Child Emperor VS Phoenixman because it was too long and I didn't think Child Emperor was a good enough character to sustain spotlight. Everything else has been awesome and funny and I wouldn't cut a thing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

But you have to understand I am easily amused. The only time in this whole manga that I've felt any fatigue at all, including the tournament arc, was Child Emperor VS Phoenixman because it was too long and I didn't think Child Emperor was a good enough character to sustain spotlight. Everything else has been awesome and funny and I wouldn't cut a thing.

This is pretty much me as well.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

If One storyboarded it and Murata drew it, hell yeah I'd read that. It was super short when it first happened, if it happened now it would be because One had written enough to make it worth showing and Murata would spice it way the hell up.

a lot of the drawing out of things is giving the side characters more personality or cool moments and i just feel like child emperor didn't get much more personality and the cool moments were drawn out a bit too much so they felt less impressive

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Idem. The only time I've come close to agreeing with the criticisms that the manga is too drawn out was around the fiftieth Phoenixman powerup. And then the very next chapter the fight ended and it was :perfect: so I'm all in for this.

I kinda understand how webcomic readers feel in wanting things to be snappier and also being disappointed that we keep taking detours on the way to the v. cool and good stuff that's ahead of us but I don't mind it personally. To me a big part of this manga's appeal is appreciating the love for the craft that Murata shows and how he pours his soul into every page of this dumb funny punchmans comic. I'm getting that whether he's drawing webcomic material or not, so I don't mind the pace and tweaks to the story at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Elfgames posted:

a lot of the drawing out of things is giving the side characters more personality or cool moments and i just feel like child emperor didn't get much more personality and the cool moments were drawn out a bit too much so they felt less impressive
Absolutely. I know it was Phoenixman's "thing" that he kept being killed and coming back stronger but as a result it just made Child Emperor look really weak and incompetent because he struggled for like five chapters and exhausted everything he had fighting a gag bird. And Phoenixman just kind of looked cool after he powered up, not ridiculous or intimidating, and the way he was defeated was funny but also completely irrelevant to everything that had come before so it didn't make what had happened up until then worth it. So it really failed on every level where all of the other fights have succeeded.

GimmickMan posted:

I kinda understand how webcomic readers feel in wanting things to be snappier and also being disappointed that we keep taking detours on the way to the v. cool and good stuff that's ahead of us but I don't mind it personally. To me a big part of this manga's appeal is appreciating the love for the craft that Murata shows and how he pours his soul into every page of this dumb funny punchmans comic. I'm getting that whether he's drawing webcomic material or not, so I don't mind the pace and tweaks to the story at all.
This is such a huge part of it, I feel. I've never read One's manga so I have no idea what's coming next. Nothing is filler, nothing is a delay or a detour, this is the manga and it's literally what One wants the work to be.

It's like people read a rough outline of a novel and it sounded awesome but now they to wait and read through finished product bit by bit. They know what happens and they're impatient to get to the good parts and the bits that got added in-between don't excite them as much because they know what is and isn't relevant to the upcoming plot twists or epic moments or whatever.

Obviously not everyone is like that, people can have legitimate grievances with the pacing, but I feel like that's where a lot of it comes from. It's definitely why I stopped watching the One Piece anime for example, I know what happens and I can't sit through poo poo pacing and awful filler waiting for the parts I want to see.