Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I don’t have a paywall free link, but have some of this:The Seven-Year Auto Loan: America’s Middle Class Can’t Afford Their Cars

quote:

Mr. Jones, now 22 years old, walked out with a gray Accord sedan with heated leather seats. He also took home an 84-month car loan that cost him and his then-girlfriend more than $500 a month. When they split last year and the monthly payment fell solely to him, it suddenly took up more than a quarter of his take-home pay.

He paid $27,000 for the car, less than the sticker price, but took out a $36,000 loan with an interest rate of 1.9% to cover the purchase price and unpaid debt on two vehicles he bought as a teenager. It was particularly burdensome when combined with his other debt, including credit cards, he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had mine done 20 years ago when my insurance still covered it, was like a $50 copay to get both eyes done. I don't recall any discomfort past the first 3-5 hours or so, and I was a smoking contact wearer at the time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Can we please take eye gore chat to another thread?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A relative moved into a fairly huge 9 bedroom property in the southwest and his wife wants to get a horse because all the neighbors have them. I told him to get a mini horse because he will only lose most of his money instead of all of it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

If you search the title on Google and then click through, there's no paywall :eng101:

That's today's Good With Money tip

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

H110Hawk posted:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
When I got Lasik about ten years ago my right eye wasn't numb when they cut it. They put the drops in, and waited, but I don't think they waited long enough. When the blade hit my eye it was a vivid experience. I just about slid horizontally out of the chair and out the door.

That said my left eye went fine and otherwise I'm extremely happy with it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There’s a particular smell while they’re lasering your eyes. The doctor said it was just the laser outgassing, but I know it was melting eye flesh.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

H110Hawk posted:

Yes, please.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

:golfclap:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

The biggest argument for expansion of transit - cars suck rear end to pay for, maintain, and drive in traffic.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hoshi posted:

The night of was possibly the most uncomfortable night of my life

Last year I had a tumble out skiing and the doc didn't spot I had broken my knee on X-ray so sent me home with paracetamol. A few hours later I was considering trying to cut my leg off after my knee joint had inflated with bone marrow. Not comfortable.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Last year I had a tumble out skiing and the doc didn't spot I had broken my knee on X-ray so sent me home with paracetamol. A few hours later I was considering trying to cut my leg off after my knee joint had inflated with bone marrow. Not comfortable.

Shoulda thrown it into a pot with some broth, add a potato. Baby, you is BWM.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

spincube posted:

I had LASEK surgery in 2010, at the age of 23; by Christmas 2015 I needed specs again. I guess I'm just part of the nth percentile whose eyesight hadn't 'settled' by then. :sigh:

That sounds pretty young. I was told not to do it until age 30.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

BonerGhost posted:

Shoulda thrown it into a pot with some broth, add a potato. Baby, you is BWM.

:hmmyes:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

God drat

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
When my boss got his eye surgery a while back I got into his office while he was out. I scanned the pictures of his family that were on his desk, blurred them in photoshop, printed copies and put them into the frame.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

tomapot posted:

When my boss got his eye surgery a while back I got into his office while he was out. I scanned the pictures of his family that were on his desk, blurred them in photoshop, printed copies and put them into the frame.

Fuckin lol

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

tomapot posted:

:master:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

tomapot posted:

This is one of the best pranks I've ever heard in my entire life. Amazing.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is one of the best pranks I've ever heard in my entire life. Amazing.

We had a great relationship otherwise I never would have tried it. He just looked at me a said “I can’t even get mad, you got me.”

I even blurred the clock face on his wall.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

tomapot posted:

That's some next-level poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tomapot posted:

We had a great relationship otherwise I never would have tried it. He just looked at me a said “I can’t even get mad, you got me.”

That's the good stuff

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/01/mark-ray-ponzi-scheme-cattle-marijuana/

quote:

Tens of millions of dollars missing after Denver man’s cattle and marijuana Ponzi scheme collapses, feds say

quote:

A Denver man convinced investors to give him tens of millions of dollars for his cattle trading and marijuana businesses, luring them with promises of steep returns.

The problem? Mark Ray owned almost no cattle. And his wholesale, state-licensed marijuana business was deeply in debt, according to settlement documents filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Colorado.

Instead, Ray for years funneled the millions to pay off prior investors and to line his own pockets, including paying for medical bills, private flights and his own herd of show cattle, the documents said.

He was a convicted felon in two states by the way, and of course the first being Illinois.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4qDD4Fvcg&t=117s

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/01/mark-ray-ponzi-scheme-cattle-marijuana/

He was a convicted felon in two states by the way, and of course the first being Illinois.

A cattle ponzi scheme you say?

Sounds like you should steer clear of that guy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sounds like everything went up in smoke.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Can’t say I’m surprised that a bunch of people got roped into that cattle Ponzi scheme. Bet a lot of people have beef with that guy now.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I don't want to get too far into the weeds, but how do you sit around chewing the cud with this guy and listen to his pipe dreams without thinking to yourself "where's the beef?"

It looks lo ike things were going ok when it was a bull market, but as soon as things got lean he skunked some of his investors. Some of them just got burned a little bit, but some of them just got slaughtered.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Can’t say I’m surprised that a bunch of people got roped into that cattle Ponzi scheme. Bet a lot of people have beef with that guy now.

Less than they thought they did, though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Krispy Wafer posted:

:golfclap:

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Sounds like they had a lot at steak in a bull market. Hereford? More like Herefraud.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 3, 2019

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Shipon posted:

The biggest argument for expansion of transit - cars suck rear end to pay for, maintain, and drive in traffic.

Yet it beats out sitting next to people on a bus by a large margin :(

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Foma posted:

Having done years of both, it... really doesn't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just keep milking it for all it’s worth.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Foma posted:

I would have had an aneurism by now if I had to drive my commute instead of taking mass transit. Rt 420 Mass Transit Er'ry Day.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
As someone currently parked between Marin and Vallejo on HWY37, I am so mad that literally nothing connects these two bayside areas with existing ferry ports.

The lack of cohesive inter-county transit systems is also absolutely fucknuts.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Foma posted:

when i get behind the wheel i get into an incoherent rage at how awful the act of driving a car is, i would much rather just sit in a bus seat and not give a poo poo about traffic because i can just goof around on my phone or whatever

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Foma posted:

This is a symptom of your lovely bus service. The more funding for public transport the nicer the busses.

Though my new commute allows for trains and I can never go back. But again, my route has comfy trains.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mocking Bird posted:

As someone currently parked between Marin and Vallejo on HWY37, I am so mad that literally nothing connects these two bayside areas with existing ferry ports.

37 will be underwater soon anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.