Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
To avoid concern over what anyone is wearing, weddings should just give out Patagonia fleeces with the bride-and-groom's name embroidered on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The Betazoids had the right idea.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

my first thought was Andy Bernard

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Wedding Brother:

1. Yea, little bro would probably look cool but...
2. Not his place to look cool or unique unless if told to. So shut the gently caress up and wear the boring grey poo poo for the wedding that you are not paying for.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I agreed with the OP until I learned what the groomsmen were wearing, good lord.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
None of us are without sin.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Classic case of insecure bride making sure everyone else in the wedding party looks like poo poo.

She'll probably cry later looking at the photos because she had an ugly wedding.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for starting a business in direct competition with my father's and making him lose clients?

So I have a father who left our family to start a new one with our neighbor when I was 13. I never fully forgave him even thought he tried (and still does) to make it up to me.

Growing up, he would pay me to work with him in his company. It's pretty advanced construction finishing stuff (like custom molding for many different uses).

I worked with him on and off through college and I've gotten very good at it.

He asked me to join his company full time as an equal owner after I graduated. But my stepmom had a fit and basically forced my stepbrother into the mix as well.

I do not get along with my stepbrother and told my father that it's either him or me. He also did not have the right skills to work in a major capacity.

To no one's surprise, my father said I needed to compromise so everyone in the family can be happy.

I refused to compromise and went ahead and set up my own company. My father was upset but I guess he figured he couldn't stop me. We continued having weekly dinners.

For some reason, people are liking my company's work more. I have expanded my company more than my father ever has. I also targetted his major clients who have slowly come over to my company. I don't even do any of the labor myself anymore unless I want to.

Last week, my father broke down and said his business was struggling to survive. I admit I did feel bad so I offered him a full time job in my company and that I'd buy out his tools and workshop lease. But I told him my stepmother and stepbrother are not welcome anywhere near my company.

This made my father pretty angry and we had a pretty big fight. He said I betrayed him. Then I basically told him he betrayed me by cheating on my mother.

I do feel kind of guilty I ruined my father's company he worked hard to build. But at the same time he forced me into this position by getting his family involved.

AITA?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Goddamn, that is comprehensive.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for starting a business in direct competition with my father's and making him lose clients?

So I have a father who left our family to start a new one with our neighbor when I was 13. I never fully forgave him even thought he tried (and still does) to make it up to me.

Growing up, he would pay me to work with him in his company. It's pretty advanced construction finishing stuff (like custom molding for many different uses).

I worked with him on and off through college and I've gotten very good at it.

He asked me to join his company full time as an equal owner after I graduated. But my stepmom had a fit and basically forced my stepbrother into the mix as well.

I do not get along with my stepbrother and told my father that it's either him or me. He also did not have the right skills to work in a major capacity.

To no one's surprise, my father said I needed to compromise so everyone in the family can be happy.

I refused to compromise and went ahead and set up my own company. My father was upset but I guess he figured he couldn't stop me. We continued having weekly dinners.

For some reason, people are liking my company's work more. I have expanded my company more than my father ever has. I also targetted his major clients who have slowly come over to my company. I don't even do any of the labor myself anymore unless I want to.

Last week, my father broke down and said his business was struggling to survive. I admit I did feel bad so I offered him a full time job in my company and that I'd buy out his tools and workshop lease. But I told him my stepmother and stepbrother are not welcome anywhere near my company.

This made my father pretty angry and we had a pretty big fight. He said I betrayed him. Then I basically told him he betrayed me by cheating on my mother.

I do feel kind of guilty I ruined my father's company he worked hard to build. But at the same time he forced me into this position by getting his family involved.

AITA?

It could only be better if OP orchestrated the breakup of his father's marriage.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA For Being Pissed My Uncle/Aunt Never Warned Me My Neighbor Might Set Everything I Own on Fire? (Spoiler: He Did)

quote:

This is a doozy, TLDR below.

Some background: My uncle used to live in the house I now live in with my mom. My mom desperately wanted to move out of her old house and I wanted to move out of our old town so I ended up moving with her and I’ve been staying here to help her get settled while I focus on the next step in my career. Since I was planning on moving out on my own very shortly I didn’t bother unpacking most of my things or any of my furniture out of our storage units. The house we live in now is much smaller than our old one so I had virtually no room for my furniture or things beyond my computer and clothes anyway. Even the bed I’m sleeping on and the desk I’m using are my mom’s extras.

Before my mom and I moved into this house my cousin (the uncle’s son) was in the process of buying my neighbor’s house from the lady who owned it. He wanted to kick my neighbor out and fix up the place to rent out for a profit. The deal finally went through about a month or so ago and the neighbor finally moved out last week. On his way out, the degenerate left a parting gift in the form of spray painting the wall of the termite/bed bug invested hovel with “gently caress You and Your Family”.

Fast forward to last weekend, my mom wakes up at 5am to our two storage units and a car on our property completely engulfed in flames. The fire depart comes, police, csi, arson investigators, etc. My aunt and uncle show up and reveal for the first time to my mom that our neighbor apparently had 2 strikes on his record one of which was burning a former acquaintance’s house to the ground. He was also on probation and my uncle had a strict restraining order against him after he broke into my uncle’s garage when he was out of town earlier this year. Fun things to find out after nearly everything you own becomes ash.

The police are currently looking for him since this is his 3rd strike and he’s off the radar. Keep in mind I’ve talked to this guy once and had no issues with him personally.

I’m struggling with this because my aunt and uncle have helped out my mom in the past, and I don’t want to be angry. However I can’t help but think they intentionally didn’t tell us about my neighbor’s past because they were worried we’d move and they’d lose the rent checks coming in. How TF did it not occur to them after he left the angry note and had already been to prison for arson that he might lash out? We could’ve sent the storage units to the company’s property and installed security measures.

Whenever I think about it I’m absolutely seething. Couple all this with the fact they have been basically MIA and haven’t even offered to help us sort out the remains for insurance. Am I wrong to blame them for not warning us?

TLDR: my uncle was quarreling with my neighbor so my neighbor set my storage units on fire. Am I wrong to be pissed my uncle never told me my neighbor had been to prison for arson so I could prepare?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA For Being Pissed My Uncle/Aunt Never Warned Me My Neighbor Might Set Everything I Own on Fire? (Spoiler: He Did)

If the uncle told her BEFORE this happened about the dude vandalizing his garage and stuff then he did as much as anyone could expect. It's not like the uncle would've KNOWN that the guy was coming back for revenge in a big way, all he can do is tell them what had happened so far

I know she's mad about losing all her stuff, but I think she's misplacing the blame a little bit from the guy who started the fire to her uncle

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for being upset because my son didn’t talk to me, but talked to my wife?

I’m 40M, my wife is 39F, son in 15.

Yesterday when it was dinner time I called him to come downstairs few times. He didn’t answer me so I assumed that he didn’t hear me. I went upstairs and knocked on his door, he said he’d come downstairs in few minutes. After 15 minutes he still didn’t come downstairs so I walked in his room. I knocked first. He was obviously crying. I asked him what was wrong but he didn’t answer me so I didn’t push him more.

I went downstairs and told my wife about it. She went upstairs to talk to him and stayed there for half an hour. She came back and brought him food upstairs. When I asked her what was wrong she said that it wasn’t anything important and told me to drop it. I got kind of upset because I want to know what was wrong and I’m his parent as well.

I haven’t been fully ignoring them but I’ve been acting kinda distant since yesterday. My wife got mad at said that I was acting extremely immature.

This reminds me of my dad, only this guy is actually better because he doesn't seem to be trying to guilt-trip his son about it. My dad has some massive insecurity complex about me talking with my mom and feeling "neglected" and it is extremely obnoxious. He is under the impression that I like talking to mom more because she is more educated or something. Not so! It is because, unlike my dad, my mom is not a bundle of insecurity constantly trying to win my approval, so I can actually expect honest feedback from her about things.

Any time I am trying to talk with my mom in person and dad is around I have to keep my voice low or he'll waltz in all "WHAT AM I MISSING OUT ON" and jesus christ it is obnoxious.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I don't have any sympathy for the guy that ran off to start a second family with the neighbor but drat man that poo poo is stone cold. :capitalism: I guess

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

"You've betrayed me!" he says to the kid he abandoned so that he could start a new family

Tell him that you'll give him and your step-brother full-time jobs if your father divorces his new wife. If he refuses, that's when you use your construction skills to seal up your father behind a brick wall

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Xik posted:

I don't have any sympathy for the guy that ran off to start a second family with the neighbor but drat man that poo poo is stone cold. :capitalism: I guess

The guy has more cool than I would. I hope he keeps it until his dad has no choice but to accept the buyout or go bankrupt. Pay the old man a reasonable hourly for the rest of his life, and let him and the homewrecker retire on his little 401K.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"Sorry your business went under, dad, I can give you and my idiot step-brother a good wage and benefits if you both castrate yourselves in front of me and my mom"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Foreman of Monte Cristo should keep going offering worse and worse deals to his father as his fathers finances falter saying "you should compromise for family"

DemoneeHo posted:

Some good ones this week, especially Q6(except for Q2; that one is depressing)

I know what a project girl actually is but I seriously cant help but Imagine that being said by Dr. Frankenstein as hes tooling around with a half finished monster in his garage thats sitting on cinderblocks he keeps telling his wife hes gonna finish someday.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

nta also you owned your dad super hard.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"I'm just trying to help, father. Okay how about this, no castrations, you both get jobs, but step-mother takes your place in this chamber" *lays another brick*

“My son! Ha-ha. This is a very good joke, indeed. Many times will we laugh about it — ha-ha — as we drink our wine together — ha-ha.”

“Of course. As we drink the Amontillado.”

“But is it not late? Should we not be going back? They will be expecting us. Let us go.”

“Yes. Let us go.”

As I said this I lifted the last stone from the ground.

“My son ! For the love of God!!”

“Yes. For the love of God!”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know people always say theyre writing a great american novel but its garbage about some boring author stand-in sleeping with a young woman. Usurping your fathers moulding business in a decades long revenge, now thats a novel.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Play posted:

If the uncle told her BEFORE this happened about the dude vandalizing his garage and stuff then he did as much as anyone could expect. It's not like the uncle would've KNOWN that the guy was coming back for revenge in a big way, all he can do is tell them what had happened so far

I know she's mad about losing all her stuff, but I think she's misplacing the blame a little bit from the guy who started the fire to her uncle

But he didn't tell them before, that's why they're mad.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

My girlfriend's father wants to get an investigator/law worker on me

quote:

[US;TX] I have been secretly dating my girlfriend for nearly three years. She was recently diagnosed first with UTI and then later as a diabetic person. While she was in the hospital, she gave me her dog so that I can take care of the doggy. Her parents knew I was taking care of the dog. (Been suspicious of me dating her.) They found out I’ve been living at her place thru the dog as I stayed there instead of my place (no backyard for potty). A random number calls me randomly twice and it turns out to be her father (he invaded his daughters personal belongings to find out my number.) he claims that I caused his daughter to be admitted into the hospital thru sleeping with her. He said he’ll get investigators/law workers to find out. While I find all this is nonsense. Would I be able to win a case of where sleeping with a recently diagnosed diabetic daughter can cause diabetes ? OR even winning at all ?...….

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

Me, desperately searching for ages, oh no oh no oh no

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Pinecone Sample posted:

WTF. I think the dad is right to be worried, an extremely, completely, massively stupid man is dating his daughter.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Barudak posted:

Or the father is white and the OP is very not.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, there has to be a reason they've been secretly dating. If it's not race or religion, could be the daughter is mildly autistic or something. There are posts on r/legaladvice sometimes where parents use an autism or depression/other mental illness diagnosis to attempt to keep their kids from leaving home and control them. Sometimes they have/try to get guardianship, but a lot of the time it's just using pressure or vague legal threats.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I took my car back from repossession lot in Texas

This is pages ago but in Texas most of the impound lots don't follow the law in taking your car in the first place. It's actually like they're just stealing cars so good for this guy. He should just keep his car and play dumb if the cops ever ask about it. "my cars never been towed. Sorry"

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Barudak posted:

He claims both he and his girlfriend are 20 years old, so that's one possibility to scratch off the bad situations check list

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Bah gawd he killed him

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA For trying to enforce a non-compete contract my employee signed

quote:

I own my own company. It's a small business, only 7 employees. It's also a fairly niche business but we do have a few direct competitors in our metropolitan area. Because of the somewhat unique nature of the type of work we do, I have all of my employees sign a non-compete contract when they are hired. I am very up front about it and I've had the contract looked at by a couple lawyers to make sure it's on the up and up.

So early last week, one of my employees came in to my office and asked to talk. He has been working for me for about 6 years and is my go-to guy in the area that he works in. He started by thanking me for giving him the opportunity to start he career with my company and that he appreciated all that I had done for him. Then he told me that he has received a job offer and asked if I would waive the non-compete contract so that he could take this new job with no strings attached. I asked him if he was going to work for one of our competitors and he wouldn't tell me. He said he simply wanted to be released from the non-compete contract so that he wouldn't have to worry about me trying to enforce it against him later on as the terms of the contract are for 2-years after leaving my company. I told him that there is no way that I am going to release him from the contract. I could see he was frustrated by this, but I was also pissed off. I'm losing one of my best employees, why should I do anything for him at this point? He said he was sorry to hear that, but that he will be accepting the job offer, so consider this his two-week notice, and he is prepared to take legal action if necessary to get released from the non-compete. I told him to get out of my office and leave for the day and I would talk to him in the morning.

I told my wife the story that night, and she said I should just release him from the contract and let him go. She asked why I would want to try and hurt his career when he had done so much for our company. My answer is that he signed a contract and he needs to honor it. So the next day he comes in and I call him into my office. I tell him he is fired and that the non-compete contract will stand. He leaves, but the rest of my employees are all looking at me like I'm a huge rear end in a top hat. My #2 guy tells me it's because now they think that if any of them want to get a new job that I will just fire them and then possibly sue them. The way I look at it, they all signed contracts and I didn't force them to do that. Yesterday morning we were setting up a huge demo with one of our major clients and just as we are getting started, a messenger comes in and serves me with a notice that I am being sued by my former employee to get released from his non-compete. It was very embarrassing, especially because the guy I fired was very well liked by this client and now they think I'm an rear end in a top hat too.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
At no point did he ask what the offer was or if he could match it, now all of his employees want to jump ship. What a dipshit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

snergle posted:

nta also you owned your dad super hard.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Oh no! My direct competition in an incredibly niche field is attempting to sweet talk my leadership out from underneath me! well, time to squeeze them even tighter to remind them that contractually, i own their whole fuckin deal. that'll work. what a clever businesser i am.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Non-competes aren't for rank-and-file employees, this guy's probably going to end up paying a settlement not to have to pay a law firm to lose in court. And that's on top of already losing the confidence of basically his whole staff.

Small business owners are all trash until proven otherwise.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Non-competes aren't for rank-and-file employees, this guy's probably going to end up paying a settlement not to have to pay a law firm to lose in court. And that's on top of already losing the confidence of basically his whole staff.

Small business owners are all trash until proven otherwise.

Non-competes aren't enforceable in general and some states its been made explicitly clear in case law.

Also, once you fire someone you sever their contract, and then they aren't bound by the stipulations.

In short, this power tripping rear end in a top hat is about to get skull hosed by the law and the free market.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
rear end in a top hat: your honor i was attempting to hamper the working class
judge: oh! oh. well, my mistake, baliff, fellate this job creator immediately.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

ad090 posted:

I need to believe this is a fakepost. On the other hand I hope he loses all of his best people to this competitor and loses tons of money chasing after them.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

ad090 posted:

You fired him, idiot.

"Oh you want out of your no-compete? Well I'll just make it real loving easy for you while I paint myself a dickbag in view of my employees and clients! That'll show ya!"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ad090 posted:

I'm losing one of my best employees, why should I do anything for him at this point?

aside from it being the thing a reasonable human being would do, it's a good thing to have someone who likes you personally working at one of your competitors. have dinner with the guy a couple times a year to keep in professional touch, you may learn something interesting about rival firms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Had a coworker who worked for mcdonalds corporate, who had a noncompete, jumped ship to KFC who was a direct competitor, then signed their non-compete, then left them to join Wendy's who also had a noncompete and I assume each time he signs one he has to hold his hand over his mouth to stifle laughter