Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

pentyne posted:

Non-competes aren't enforceable in general and some states its been made explicitly clear in case law.

Also, once you fire someone you sever their contract, and then they aren't bound by the stipulations.

In short, this power tripping rear end in a top hat is about to get skull hosed by the law and the free market.

He says he's from Minnesota, so they are apparently legal there. But he also says ex-employees aren't allowed to work for competitors within 500 miles for 2 years, which covers most of the state

Tetramin posted:

I need to believe this is a fakepost. On the other hand I hope he loses all of his best people to this competitor and loses tons of money chasing after them.

God, i hope either OP or the fired employee chronicles this over at r/legaladvice. Speaking of which, some dude at legaladvice posted an update about how his former employer sued him after he left the company, and the judge finally threw the case out.

Virginia – Being sued due to separation from company, their business is now suffering due to my (semi) agreed upon departure.

quote:

Northern Virginia

I have been with a tech company for almost 12 years. The company itself is small, about 15 employees, ~50 on and off independent contractors, family owned by a longtime friend/former coworker, about $27MM/year in annual revenue. For about 6 years I was the only sales guy, I worked with 4 sales engineers, but I was the guy that closed a majority of the business.

In the past 6 years we brought on 3 other sales guys. I am (was) the top sales guy up until my separation from the company. I averaged in the last ~3 years about 60% of the total revenues for the company, 100% for the previous years…my years in the business means that I have a lot of relationships.

Early Fall this year, after a long erosion of the professional and personal relationship with ownership, it was mutually agreed upon that we would go our separate ways. All in all, it was just time to move on. They would be a positive reference for me, I would not file unemployment, done, fine!

I DO NOT HAVE AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT, NON-COMPETE, NOR AN NDA

Since then I jumped into a large, locally known IT based company and am doing just fine.

Being that it is the end of the year, companies/divisions within companies tend to evaluate what they’ve got left in the way of budget and start buying stuff. Many of my customers have software renewals, licensing renewals, and hardware refreshes either happening now, or will be needing them this year.

As a sign of respect to my former employer (and avoiding any possible legal problems), initially I sent my customer’s back to my former employer. Every single time I did this, I emailed my former boss (owner) and he gave my old account to one of the other sales guys. There was often a lot of back and forth between me and the new sales guy as they (in my opinion) are incompetent. Within a couple of weeks my customer would reach out to me directly, often a call to my cell, and ask if I could just help out…they were frustrated!

My current/new boss was aware of what I was doing and applauded my devotion to business ethics.

Not wanting to lose any credibility and trust among my old customers, I took them on at my new employer after their plea for help. My current boss is now very happy as I am bringing in a ton of business that they did not expect.

Now to my former employer, my old boss reached out to me and let lose. He lost his drat mind over Thanksgiving, threatened to sue me if I took any more customers, etc. I retorted back by explaining that this is what you get when you hire incompetent help. I explained the massive back and forth I had with the other sales guys; he was having none of it, did not care, stop talking to your former customers.

Yesterday I got a letter from the company’s lawyer (the note is legit) threatening a lawsuit if I do not stop taking their customers. It goes on to say that my “book of business” is the property of my former employer, and the fact that it represents a significant majority of their income, I am threatening the livelihood of every employee there.

Best and honest guess is that I represent about a total of $13MM/year in current/immediate potential business over the next year, and my total “book of business” among all my contacts over the next ~5 years represents just over $100MM in potential total revenue.

What do I do at this point? I am tempted to involve my boss and our company’s legal department, but I suspect that I run the risk of getting let go out of fear that I am going to cost the company money.

I am not making any more sales this year, I am off until next week, so I have time to find a lawyer if need be, but I do not know where to start.

[UPDATE] - Virginia - Former Employer threatening to sue, no NDA, customers leaving them, coming to me.

quote:

Wow, I still cannot believe that this took 2.5 years to deal with. gently caress me, I am tired. This was all settled a few weeks ago.

So we left off with Old Company threatening to sue me. Your surprised faced when you learn they followed through with a lawsuit against both me and New Employer.

Old Company ended up taking us to court, their demands were that not only I stop selling to former customers for 4 years, but that New Company give them the gross profit as a "finders fee." They also made demands around me never speaking with their new sales people (I cannot help when one calls me), and they pushed for me to exit the industry for 4 years too. Their demands were all over the place.

New Company has a bright, young, and eager corporate lawyer who was itching to get on top of this. First he tried to meet with Old Company's lawyer, that went about as good as you can imagine. He then sent them pages, and pages of documentation as well as a few sworn statements from customers that they never want to do business with Old Company ever again. So they ended up agreeing to drop the suit and pay for New Company's Lawyers time.

Phufff...of course that did NOT happen. They doubled down! This time Old Company leadership apparently started harassing and threatening some "current" (at the time current) and former customers that if they did business with me, that they would be sued too, their services would be suspended, etc. Just a whole poo poo storm was created.

So bringing it all together, Old Company still exists (honestly, I do not know how), and the Judge ended up more or less telling them "tough poo poo" with business coming to me/New Company and it leaving Old Company. Statements by customers were damning and basically lost the case for them. Yelling at customers and threatening to sue them on baseless accusations is not a solid strategy to one's business growth plans. Who knew right?

Judge tossed out the case with, his words "Extreme Prejudice!" and that he did not want to see this case come back to his courtroom ever again.

I am still employed at New Company, and have moved into a Sr. Sales Management role. I am no longer an individual contributor.

My spidey senses are telling me that this is not the last time we are going to have to legally wrangle with Old Company.

After we won, Sr leadership from New Company took the legal team and me out to a very nice dinner, and thanked us all. Especially me for maintaining such professionalism, hence my new role now.

So that's all. I hope to never have to go through this again.

EDIT - They did not agree to drop suit, just realized I forgot the "not"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

WIBTA for telling my friend he can’t bring a pimp to my wedding?

quote:

A group of us went to what was basically a brothel on a lads trip in a nearby city. My friend we’ll call Peter immediately struck up a rapport with the “host” and even stayed behind that night just to talk with him while the rest of us went to a club. Peter only recently came out as gay and this is his first relationship with a man. He is very proud of this and even cut ties with family members who told him they could not accept him over that. I’ve seen the host several times now and while he is friendly and unassuming I can’t get his job out of my head. Peter says host is completely normal, even used to be a chemistry instructor (and I believe it) and it’s hard for people of their country (they’re both immigrants) to get normal jobs here. He plans to bring him as his plus one and I’m completely against it. AITA?

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

How can I [29F] stop my partner [32M] from trying to 'fill' my daily schedule for me?

quote:

We have been together 5 years, have a 4yo kid already and I am currently pregnant with baby number 2.

My partner has always had an annoying little habit where if I have a day off and he's at work, it's like he can't leave the house without leaving me at least one task to complete. It always starts with 'while you're off would you mind...' or 'could you do me a favour while you're off today?'. It ranges from things that actually need completed, to totally innocuous things like asking me to go to the store for something that hasn't even nearly run out yet, asking me to rearrange something random in the house that's fine the way it is, or things he could do himself with his phone at work ("could you message my mom later and ask what my dad's shoe size is?"). I've pointed it out in the past but he denies it's as bad as I say. Just last week he called me from his workplace while I was visiting his sister to ask 'can you do me a favour today while you're off? I have a yogurt in the fridge that's a day past sell-by, can you throw it out?'. Seriously. It was 2 hours before he finished work and could have come home and done it himself. His sister and I laughed but the habit is a little grating sometimes.

I would like to point out as well that I have always been clean and tidy, housework is already a given when either of us is off, and he was not trying to combat laziness which I would understand. I am also sociable enough within reason. I see my friends and family a few times throughout the week, take my daughter to kindergarden and playgrounds, go to lunches and creches etc. I make it to nearly every family party and event, regardless of being pregnant and tired.

Well now for the real crux of the problem. Since I broke off for my maternity leave, this problem has gone through the freaking roof. I took an extra week before my due date so I could relax before baby comes and rest up. Every single day he has basically arranged my schedule. It could be 'oh I told my sister you would stop by around 4 to visit her', or 'today you need to go to the store for x y and z, and then I have a gas engineer scheduled for 11am, and then if you wouldn't mind dropping a bag of clothes off to my dad' ...and the list goes on.

It sometimes isn't even chores. He will turn to our daughter and say 'mommy will take you to visit your cousin today how about that :) and then you guys can maybe bake a cake!'. I've asked him in the past what happens if I don't feel up for family visiting or baking, and he just brushes it off like oh well you have to do something with your day anyway, you're not working so you have all the time in the world to relax afterwards.

I tried an experiment yesterday - I asked for a lie in where he took our daughter to kindergarten. I made sure the house was spotless the night before and nothing needed done. I slept until 10am and then sat on my phone in bed chilling until 11am. Man the reaction I got out of him was unbelievable. He was pacing up and down the stairs, throwing me glowering judgemental looks, and once I did get up (and luxuriously take my time getting a shower and whatnot) he was in such a lovely mood, and couldn't help making snide remarks. Even though my slow morning didn't affect him or his plans whatsoever.

I just don't understand why he cares so much that my day is brimming with activity. He even researched and found a community club and signed me and daughter up without asking me. He came back and told me the club is on every day at 4pm. When I explained that after baby comes I might not want to commit to a club that's on EVERY DAY at a certain time, he flew into a bad mood saying things like 'that's fine, I'll take time off work to do it instead then so our daughter has something to be a part of!'. Its like he doesn't realise that it's going to be so time consuming, tiring and unpredictable to have a newborn again.

How can I combat this when he is so unwilling to concede that he even does it? I've tried giving him a taste of his own medicine, but I feel like when I do it he's on to me and does everything I ask with a smile on his face, like 'yeah this is what I expect you to do'. I just want to have days where I don't have plans, where I can just let the time flow and decide by the hour what I feel like doing. I want to invite visitors to my home at my own behest, and not just because my partner invited them when he's not even home. I feel like I need the time to recharge my batteries, and not just the pre-approved times he sets aside for me once I've completed an adequate amount of activity first.

TL:DR; my partner makes plans on my behalf, invites people over when he's not home, and can't seem to let me have a day that's empty for me to do what I want. How can I make him see I need this empty time before I have a stress meltdown?

from the comments section

quote:

The visitors thing he does really sneakily. He will invite them over for a tea just before he leaves for work. Then he leaves and I'm left with a visitor for an unknown length of time when I just want to sleep lol.

quote:

To be honest, I'm actually pretty headstrong and believe it or not this was my first tactic and instinctive reaction. I just was like hey, stop doing that. It annoys me. No I'm not going to make cupcakes today because I don't feel like it.

But there's just this awful guilt trippy thing he does afterwards where he makes me out to be this antisocial person, or unwilling to engage our daughter, or he will point out all the things he did that day before work and will say 'see I did all that, I'm only asking you to do one thing'. Particularly involving other people in plans, he will do the old switcharoo a lot. So if I say I'm taking daughter to the swing park before dinner he will just go ahead and call his sister and invite her to meet me - he knows this invariably makes the park trip like 3x as long because my niece throws a fit when we try to leave. So if I say man I wish you hadn't done that, I wanted to just go alone with our daughter and make it a small trip. He will say 'cool, whatever. That's fine. I'll just call her and uninvite her then. Didn't realise you were so antisocial and the park was only for you guys'.

When I argue that the problem is the invite in the first place, he just ignores what I'm saying and continues to make me out to be selfish and like I don't like chilling with his sister. There are a lot more examples than this, but it's just to point out that it's not as easy as saying yeah, no I'm not doing that. He always tries to manipulate it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When was the lads trip, this is important because if it was last week or seven years ago there is a difference.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Barudak posted:

When was the lads trip, this is important because if it was last week or seven years ago there is a difference.

We'll never know; the cowardly mods of AITA just closed the pimp thread

Although it can't have been more than a few months at most, if Peter came out of the closet recently

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 3, 2019

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Everyone's thinking I'm an rear end in a top hat! Why is everyone so wrong??

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

How does it prove anything if everyone else was also pretending to be high?

What could it ever prove? HAHA this person really wants to be liked, this'll really show this monster the price to be paid for wanting attention.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

chemtrail huffer posted:

How can I [29F] stop my partner [32M] from trying to 'fill' my daily schedule for me?

I believe if you consult with a divorce lawyer they can put an end to this for you.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

extremely online posted:

If you read the father's comments the kid is literally being radicalized into the same hate groups Elliot Rodgers was (hapa incel poo poo) but seething racism is just normal teenage boy poo poo, right, The White Dragon?

isnt hapa a half asian boy? i know its a derogatory word but its generally self described by angsty asian incels or so i think.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I’ll take a probe for this.

There was a great story on jezebel recently about how a young Asian man was radicalized into the alt right and essentially killed himself over his issues with his height.

https://jezebel.com/stories-about-my-brother-1835651181

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Straight White Shark posted:

I believe if you consult with a divorce lawyer they can put an end to this for you.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

chemtrail huffer posted:

10 bucks says this guy is on redpill forums and is terrified she’s gonna cheat on him and is trying to make it impossible

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

10 bucks says this guy is on redpill forums and is terrified she’s gonna cheat on him and is trying to make it impossible

The thought hadnt even crossed my mind but it seems so obvious now

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

pentyne posted:

Non-competes aren't enforceable in general and some states its been made explicitly clear in case law.

Also, once you fire someone you sever their contract, and then they aren't bound by the stipulations.

In short, this power tripping rear end in a top hat is about to get skull hosed by the law and the free market.

These are not necessarily true statements. While it is true that American common law (and the judges who wield it) are generally opposed to noncompete clauses, seeing them as anticompetitive measures antithetical to the American dream, many “pro-business” state legislatures HAVE enacted statutes that basically give employers carte Blanche. In fact, while the state common law would often say that the entire noncompete clause was invalid if it was overbroad unreasonable, etc., in any manner (eg radius, duration) many state statutes go so far as to include “blue pencil” rules that basically say that the judge is obligated to rewrite the clause to effect its original terms to the greatest extent allowed by law in the event it doesn’t pass judicial muster. Also, enforceability/breadth/etc of the clause is highly variable because there is no “one way” to do write a noncompete, so just cause you won your case doesn’t mean your friend working down the street won’t get cratered by a well written agreement. Also, many times people gently caress this up by taking their customer lists/brochures/etc. and arguably proprietary information from their former employer and get them and their new employer hit or with unfair competition/trade secrets or other common law/statutory tort claims just as a “gently caress it, we may be able to get a preliminary injunction and gently caress up their business and make them look bad” kind of way. Finally, any employment contract worth its salt will say that even if you are fired or otherwise stop working at the employer by no fault of your own, you are still bound by all/part of the remaining terms of the agreement (often called “survival clauses”). Still, a good lawyer may be able to work it out one way or the other.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Quick question, what is the origin of "redpill" in that context?

1redflag posted:

These are not necessarily true statements. While it is true that American common law (and the judges who wield it) are generally opposed to noncompete clauses, seeing them as anticompetitive measures antithetical to the American dream, many “pro-business” state legislatures HAVE enacted statutes that basically give employers carte Blanche. In fact, while the state common law would often say that the entire noncompete clause was invalid if it was overbroad unreasonable, etc., in any manner (eg radius, duration) many state statutes go so far as to include “blue pencil” rules that basically say that the judge is obligated to rewrite the clause to effect its original terms to the greatest extent allowed by law in the event it doesn’t pass judicial muster. Also, enforceability/breadth/etc of the clause is highly variable because there is no “one way” to do write a noncompete, so just cause you won your case doesn’t mean your friend working down the street won’t get cratered by a well written agreement. Also, many times people gently caress this up by taking their customer lists/brochures/etc. and arguably proprietary information from their former employer and get them and their new employer hit or with unfair competition/trade secrets or other common law/statutory tort claims just as a “gently caress it, we may be able to get a preliminary injunction and gently caress up their business and make them look bad” kind of way. Finally, any employment contract worth its salt will say that even if you are fired or otherwise stop working at the employer by no fault of your own, you are still bound by all/part of the remaining terms of the agreement (often called “survival clauses”). Still, a good lawyer may be able to work it out one way or the other.

True, I was thinking in terms of CA, where the non-competes have been gutted in the last few years and huge fines levied. The terms of the contract would be the most important aspect but my tangential awareness is when people have challenged this non-competes they tend to win but after years of prolonged court battles and for many people the biggest hurdle is the financial burden fighting a non compete would impose.

Its the same when firing people for ambiguous reasons (i.e "bad attitude" because a female worker won't gently caress the manager in charge of her) the cost of suing your former employer both financial and social outweighs the need to find a new source of income to avoid homelessness.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not wanting my husband to leave town while I’m pregnant to take mushrooms with his friend?

We’ve been married for two years (together for 13), he’s an awesome husband, we’re both therapists, and I’m two months pregnant. He’s recently gotten into Michael Pollen’s new book on psychedelics as a treatment for a variety of mental health issues, and is inspired to take his private practice in that direction. I’m thrilled to see him so passionate about something and as a therapist myself I fully support that as a treatment modality.

He’s 13 years in recovery from heroin addiction. He rarely drinks, but smokes pot regularly. This scares me given his history, but prior to being pregnant I smoked pot too so I can’t be too hypocritical. He’s struggling to give up the pot since I became pregnant even though it was his idea to be sober with me during the pregnancy.

Given the drug history and the struggle with pot, his recent fascination with taking mushrooms is scaring me, and it peaked when he let me know that he wanted to take them with his friend who lives out of state next weekend.

Maybe it’s the hormones and I’m being overly afraid of abandonment, so I want to make sure I’m not just being some nagging, hormonal wife standing in the way of what he truly believes will be a spiritual experience. I’m totally open to the idea of him taking mushrooms, maybe even trying them myself one day, but I’m struggling with his choice given the timing and context. Am I the rear end in a top hat for feeling lovely and scared about this and asking him not to do it?

EDIT: Yes, I’m aware mushrooms themselves aren’t addictive, this is more about concern the overall pattern of behavior. Yes, we are totally in communication about it, no secret grudges or anything, just needed reddit‘s objective feedback since I can’t see clearly through the blinding hormonal fluctuations!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling a bi man that he’s gross for having sexual fantasies about our straight friend?

I have this friend who is quite secure in his heterosexuality and isnt stereotypically a “guy.” He’s sensitive and open about his feelings, genuine and quite in touch with his feminine side. This does NOT make him gay. But I also have this other friend, who is quite bi and of the mindset that everyone should be like him. He’s very much into the straight guy, I’ll call him Nate, and bi guy, I’ll call him Anthony, always makes such unnecessary comments about this attraction. I’ve been present when Anthony comes on a little too hard and Nate politely puts him in his place and informs he has zero interest in men. Anthony always lays off. But around me, he constantly talks about how Nate should be “more like me” and “open to men.” He’s confided in me that turning Nate bi is his end goal and that sex with Nate is his dream. He sometimes goes into explicit detail of what he’d do to him.

One day, when the flirting was too much for me to endure, I kinda blew up and told Anthony he was sick and told Nate everything he’d been saying. Nate was rightfully upset and awkwardly left. Afterwards, Anthony actually cried and told me I was a “biphobe” and a “homophobe” and it was just harmless fun, that everyone had the potential to be bi and that Nate was deep in denial.

I’m no expert on sexuality, but if a straight man has the potential to be bi, then gay men have the potential to be bi.

Anthony hasn’t talked to me since and Nate refuses to talk about it.

AITA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id like to know her husbands name so I can never go to therapy with him.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

If you take the red pill, you realize that all women are whores who ride Chad's dick, if you take the blue pill you're a beta cuck who wants to believe Stacy loves you even though you're under 6' tall.

That's the basic gist of it anyway.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Females are bad because feminism has infected their brains but their natural instincts and hormones make them all want to be barefoot pregnant traditional wives. They have to be coaxed there by a strong alpha males using weak, henpecking, neurotic bullshit. This is annoying at best, outright emotional abuse at worst.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Araenna posted:

If you take the red pill, you realize that all women are whores who ride Chad's dick, if you take the blue pill you're a beta cuck who wants to believe Stacy loves you even though you're under 6' tall.

That's the basic gist of it anyway.

Please, of course, ignore the transition subtext to the scene, who made the movie, and honestly basically everything involving the film right down to its lead actor.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

cumshitter posted:

Females are bad because feminism has infected their brains but their natural instincts and hormones make them all want to be barefoot pregnant traditional wives. They have to be coaxed there by a strong alpha males using weak, henpecking, neurotic bullshit. This is annoying at best, outright emotional abuse at worst.

What color pill makes you realize that girls are gross and boys are better?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There have been at least a couple of posts where a woman wonders why her partner turned into a weird dickbag all of a sudden, and all of the symptoms were “strategies” straight from the redpill subreddit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im very annoyed that in the bi story the OP went with Anthony and then its own nickname Nate for the two names in the story. Im more annoyed by the serial sexual harasser who I hope internalizes some form of lesson or barring that takes a long walk off a short pier, but still.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Clark Nova posted:

There have been at least a couple of posts where a woman wonders why her partner turned into a weird dickbag all of a sudden, and all of the symptoms were “strategies” straight from the redpill subreddit

Reddit went and banned a tonne of nasty subreddits over the last couple of days.

Mainly racist and incel ones.

So, that's good.

Somehow the misogynist ones remained untouched. Including r/TheRedPill

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Creme filled flesh colour

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Barudak posted:

Im very annoyed that in the bi story the OP went with Anthony and then its own nickname Nate for the two names in the story. Im more annoyed by the serial sexual harasser who I hope internalizes some form of lesson or barring that takes a long walk off a short pier, but still.

Nate is a nickname for Nathan or Nathaniel, not Anthony :eng101:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im gonna need a lie down because Ive known two Nates and they were both Anthonys.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Barudak posted:

Im gonna need a lie down because Ive known two Nates and they were both Anthonys.

:stare: that’s messed up dude

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

We have seen some poo poo in this thread, but Nate being short for Anthony takes the cake.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA if I sleep in on vacation with my future in-laws?

My fiance and I have been dating for over two years, engaged for 6 months. We live far away from our families, so there haven't been many opportunities for us to meet one another's parents, but an issue has arisen.

I work full time, 8 AM-7 PM. My fiance works a flex schedule, but usually doesn't have to be at work until 10 AM

My fiance's mom works in healthcare, and works early shifts, usually getting to work by 5 or 6. My fiance's father works in building management, similar hours as his wife. They go to bed around 8 PM.

Since we're getting married we've made an effort to use our vacation time to spend it with our parents. After we got engaged, I visited my fiance's family for the first time over a 4 day weekend.

Every day of the trip, his parents woke up at 5 AM and woke us up to have breakfast with them at 6. Mind you, since most things don't open until 9, they spend this morning time either reading or watching TV.

This is not how my family works--and not how my fiance and I spend our weekends either. My favorite way to relax is by sleeping in, because I work such long hours.

Because it was my first time visiting them, I went along with it but was *exhausted* the whole trip. I came back more tired and run down than before I left. I'm used to going to bed by 10/11...I just couldn't fall asleep earlier.

I brought it up with my fiance and he said that "That's just how his family works' and it has "never bothered him."

We planned a 4th of July trip all together in California for two weeks. This was almost all of my vacation for the year. I mentioned to my fiance that since this was my year's vacation, I was going to sleep in some days and for him/his parents not to wait up for me every morning. I didn't think it was a big deal.

For the first few days of the trip, I did the "wake up at 5 AM" but mentioned I really needed some sleep and would be sleeping on my schedule for the rest of the trip. They seemed a little put off, but I didn't think much of it. The next couple mornings, I woke up around 8 (still earlier than I usually would and a reasonable time in my opinion), got ready and made myself my own food to be ready by 9/9:30.

The trip seemed fine to me, but when we got home my fiance lit into me about how 'incredibly rude' it was for me to sleep while they were all spending time together, and that I was 'clearly disrespecting' their family traditions and that his parents thought it was really stuck up of me.

I told him that while I enjoyed spending time with his family, I wasn't going to spend my only vacation of the year exhausted and uncomfortable. I went along with everything else they did on the trip.

He said I was being a jerk who only cared about my own needs on a family vacation. In my opinion, I wasn't making anyone else change their schedule or be inconvenienced. We fought about it and simply couldn't agree. We are coming up on Thanksgiving/Xmas trip planning and I'm sure this is going to come up again.

AITA?

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Barudak posted:

This isn’t a thing

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

im the ambassador for waking up at 5am on days off but jfc it's not easy to do if you don't want to do it

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Barudak posted:

Why'd they pick such a weirdo as thread IK?

Also I'm claiming full credit because I mentioned the thread needing one and then BAM you show up!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Kill the whole family of holiday early risers so they are taken out of the gene pool. Think of it as your civic duty.

The only two non-negotiable parts of a relationship are having a basic level of personal hygiene and not interupting sleep.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My fiance and I have been dating for over two years, engaged for 6 months. We live far away from our families, so there haven't been many opportunities for us to meet one another's parents, but an issue has arisen.

I work full time, 8 AM-7 PM. My fiance works a flex schedule, but usually doesn't have to be at work until 10 AM

My fiance's mom works in healthcare, and works early shifts, usually getting to work by 5 or 6. My fiance's father works in building management, similar hours as his wife. They go to bed around 8 PM.

Since we're getting married we've made an effort to use our vacation time to spend it with our parents. After we got engaged, I visited my fiance's family for the first time over a 4 day weekend.

Every day of the trip, his parents woke up at 5 AM and woke us up to have breakfast with them at 6. Mind you, since most things don't open until 9, they spend this morning time either reading or watching TV.

This is not how my family works--and not how my fiance and I spend our weekends either. My favorite way to relax is by sleeping in, because I work such long hours.

Because it was my first time visiting them, I went along with it but was *exhausted* the whole trip. I came back more tired and run down than before I left. I'm used to going to bed by 10/11...I just couldn't fall asleep earlier.

I brought it up with my fiance and he said that "That's just how his family works' and it has "never bothered him."

We planned a 4th of July trip all together in California for two weeks. This was almost all of my vacation for the year. I mentioned to my fiance that since this was my year's vacation, I was going to sleep in some days and for him/his parents not to wait up for me every morning. I didn't think it was a big deal.

For the first few days of the trip, I did the "wake up at 5 AM" but mentioned I really needed some sleep and would be sleeping on my schedule for the rest of the trip. They seemed a little put off, but I didn't think much of it. The next couple mornings, I woke up around 8 (still earlier than I usually would and a reasonable time in my opinion), got ready and made myself my own food to be ready by 9/9:30.

The trip seemed fine to me, but when we got home my fiance lit into me about how 'incredibly rude' it was for me to sleep while they were all spending time together, and that I was 'clearly disrespecting' their family traditions and that his parents thought it was really stuck up of me.

I told him that while I enjoyed spending time with his family, I wasn't going to spend my only vacation of the year exhausted and uncomfortable. I went along with everything else they did on the trip.

He said I was being a jerk who only cared about my own needs on a family vacation. In my opinion, I wasn't making anyone else change their schedule or be inconvenienced. We fought about it and simply couldn't agree. We are coming up on Thanksgiving/Xmas trip planning and I'm sure this is going to come up again.

AITA?

Kill your husband and his entire family. 5am wake ups on vacation is a human rights abuse.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

As bell jar said it's more like a creme filled donut.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Boys are creme filled donuts. Girls are raspberry jelly filled donuts.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Do you guys think my[26/F] boyfriend[28/M] could be a non heterosexual?

quote:

Hi all,

I am guessing that my bf of 3 years is a non binary person. But I am not sure I am just too sensitive or whatever.

Reasons why I am thinking he could be a non binary person

Whenever he plays video games, he chooses curvy female characters. -> I asked him about this, he said that choosing a curvy female character is like watching a porn to him.

He often uses female emojis like🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ When he has male emoji options -> He said he doesnt like the mustache of male emojis.

Recently he’s using female Memojis too.

One time we were traveling, I was wearing a straw hat with ribbon tie, I kinda wanted to take it off but my hands were full of stuff. So I asked him to hold my hat. However, instead of holding my hat, he was just wearing my hat at the airport and even took a selfie of him wearing my hat.🤨🤔

TL;DR! I am suspecting my bf is a non binary person, what do you guys think?

Plays female characters on video games

Using female emoji/memojis

Wearing a hat with ribbon tie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA?

compromise. you get up at 5am with them but they go to bed at midnight with you