Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
has any dev ever discussed the pantaloons thing? was the plan all along the big metal unit, was it just a joke for bg1 that they decided to continue with? was it an in-joke reference to something that occurred in the office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Hey just stopping in to say whoever it was that suggested Icewind Dale really nailed it. So far it's been the perfect dungeon crawl, and the addition of some random loot has been a cool change from what I'm used to. Now that I can scratch this itch I can go back to BG2 and use my previous BG1 party as an a la cart list for who I want the Bhaalspawn to be. Certainly makes multiple play throughs easier to do.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

pentyne posted:

That was one of the slides Josh Sawyer had in his presentation of the PoE stat system. A stat of 15 was considered "good" by Ad&D standards but if you have a wizard with 15 int everything is great until level 16 and you can't cast 8th level or higher spells, which makes continued play of the PC useless.

There are a million stat boosting items and as long as your DM isn't an rear end in a top hat you can always find a wizard who will make you one if you never find one in the wild.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I bought Planescape: Torment on GoG some years ago and have just now finally started to play it. But it occurs to me that I should probably now just spring for the EE instead of slogging through the old one. What do y'all think?

I only found BG in 2016 or so, and I've played 1 and 2 on my phone, so playing with a mouse and keyboard as god intended is a nice change already.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Definitely get the EE. It’s the better experience by far. I wish Icewind Dale 2 had an EE. :)

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Definitely get the EE. It’s the better experience by far. I wish Icewind Dale 2 had an EE. :)

Agree with all statements here. Sadly, the source code for IWD2 was lost. Beamdog would have to completely recreate it, making it far less economically viable.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the source code is on a forgotten harddrive in rope kid’s basement

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

THS posted:

the source code is on a forgotten harddrive in rope kid’s basement

Along with the actually compete version of Van Buren.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

chaosapiant posted:

I wish Icewind Dale 2 had an EE. :)

Wanted to give IWD2 a shot again but compared to the EEs it was nigh unplayable for me. :(

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Suspicious posted:

Start with 18 in wisdom, no matter what. Charisma isn't super necessary because most dialogues offer high wisdom and high charisma paths, though there are a couple of nice charisma-only resolutions (silent king for one.) Also the game usually checks for either high intelligence OR wisdom for the smart answers so intelligence is also not super necessary unless you're going mage (you are going mage.) That said, unlocking Dak'kon's past requires both high intelligence and wisdom.
Old post but the min-max other reason to go Wisdom first in Torment is that it gives you bonus xp.

Also part of Torment's thing is to invert existing D&D/RPG tropes, so: there are hardly any longswords, the rats in the basement are really dangerous, the mental stats are better than the physical ones, etc

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

HoboTech posted:

Hey just stopping in to say whoever it was that suggested Icewind Dale really nailed it. So far it's been the perfect dungeon crawl, and the addition of some random loot has been a cool change from what I'm used to. Now that I can scratch this itch I can go back to BG2 and use my previous BG1 party as an a la cart list for who I want the Bhaalspawn to be. Certainly makes multiple play throughs easier to do.

Glad I could help! Icewind Dale is great but I admittedly have never been able to make it past the first few dungeons because I can never commit to a party makeup. Granted this was also pre-EE where there's even less class choice. Can't imagine how indecisive I'd be playing it now :allears:

I've always been curious as to what the least effective but technically useable party would be. Like whatever the "Resident Evil (PSX) Knife-Only Run" equivalent is for these IE games

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think it's generally a single-character solo run for these games.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Solo Wizard Slayer or similar

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Solo single-class thief

THS
Sep 15, 2017

6 jesters

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I've always been curious as to what the least effective but technically useable party would be. Like whatever the "Resident Evil (PSX) Knife-Only Run" equivalent is for these IE games

Oh this would be fun. It should also be a "first roll" or a "best of 3 rolls" for attributes party. Max impairment would be "first roll without shuffling attribute numbers"

My nominees for least effective party of 6 (with traditional party roles):

1) Beast Master (ranger)
2) Barbarian or Monk
3) Melee thief (dwarf, assassin or swashbukler)
4) Melee jester
5) Shaman
6) Elf Diviner or Wild mage

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 3, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Glimpse posted:

Solo single-class thief

Not too bad, actually. You suck at combat, but BG1 lets you stealth past or backstab just about anything, and in BG2 you get the absurdly powerful Rogue HLAs.

THS posted:

6 jesters

Never tried it, but considering even a solo Bard does very well if you play your cards right, I imagine six of them makes the game fairly trivial.

I think sebzilla is correct and solo Wizard Slayer would be the absolute worst you can do. Maybe solo Druid is worse in ToB.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Having multiple bards/jesters would be worse than trying to solo with a bard in IWD just because of scroll scarcity.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Some years ago on these very forums I remember seeing someone beat the game with a minimum (as in all 3 score) stat solo Bard.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

mitochondritom posted:

Some years ago on these very forums I remember seeing someone beat the game with a minimum (as in all 3 score) stat solo Bard.

Not that hard with potions and wands. Not being able to read scrolls is a real pain though.

rocketrobot posted:

My nominees for least effective party of 6 (with traditional party roles):

1) Beast Master (ranger)
2) Barbarian
3) Melee dwarf swashbuckler
4) Melee jester
5) Shaman
6) Wild mage

I made this over lunch and played for a bit. I went with "first roll only" stats and didn't modify any stat below 9 or above 14 unless it was a prime requisite, then not above 17.

It's surprisingly fun because it makes the game challenging again. I just rampage through it otherwise.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 3, 2019

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Beastmaster is a completely playable class, and in BG1 has a massive early advantage due to their bonus hit points. Also helps that a +1 quarterstaff is one of the earliest obtainable magic weapons, that bows are very powerful, and that every BG game has tons of good leather armour.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I did an ironman playthrough with a beastmaster. BG1 went fine but no metal weapons or armor quickly became crippling.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think a solo monk would be the hardest BG1 playthrough. They're just so useless and weak at low levels.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

jBrereton posted:

Beastmaster is a completely playable class, and in BG1 has a massive early advantage due to their bonus hit points. Also helps that a +1 quarterstaff is one of the earliest obtainable magic weapons, that bows are very powerful, and that every BG game has tons of good leather armour.

Yeah but he died first. Then the barbarian.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Has anyone tried the recent console versions of these? How are they?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Have they already released for console?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

They were delayed to October 15th.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

drat so i finally got around to playing BG2 and it turns out this game is really good?? who knew. it has a really strong atmosphere and sense of, i dunno, 'mise en scene' i guess. I'm still pretty early though, just got to the copper coronet and farted around the city a bit. Now i'm gonna rock over to the cemetery and see what's up with this magic book bullshit keldorn (kaldorn? kordorn? the rear end in a top hat dwarf) is on about

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Lant gulpin' dirt chute is still one of my favorite insults of all time.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I saw the boxes in store, and it didn't look like a prerelease. I was surprised it even got a physical release, really.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fuligin posted:

drat so i finally got around to playing BG2 and it turns out this game is really good?? who knew. it has a really strong atmosphere and sense of, i dunno, 'mise en scene' i guess. I'm still pretty early though, just got to the copper coronet and farted around the city a bit. Now i'm gonna rock over to the cemetery and see what's up with this magic book bullshit keldorn (kaldorn? kordorn? the rear end in a top hat dwarf) is on about

That's Korgan. Keldorn is... well, not a dwarf at least.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of the things I love about the Baldur's Gate series is everything.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

sebzilla posted:

That's Korgan. Keldorn is... well, not a dwarf at least.

I have a newfound respect for him after he tanked through several hundred spider bites and several liters of spider venom.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I know I've said this before, but I'm always jealous of anyone getting to play through Baldur's Gate 2 for the first time.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

One of the things I love about the Baldur's Gate series is everything except TOB.

ftfy

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

hmm progress through the crypt has been stymied by a bug which causes the party to get stuck on one another in a kind of quantum superposition. Unfortunately this rare physical anomaly is stopping them from leaving the correct exit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fuligin posted:

hmm progress through the crypt has been stymied by a bug which causes the party to get stuck on one another in a kind of quantum superposition. Unfortunately this rare physical anomaly is stopping them from leaving the correct exit

Change the ini to allow cheats and ctrl j the offending party members a couple feet away.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nah, I like Throne of Bhaal. It could be better but I enjoy the high level stuff.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Skwirl posted:

Change the ini to allow cheats and ctrl j the offending party members a couple feet away.

so, it turned out the reason I couldn't leave was that Jaheira was somehow trapped in the Irenicus dream. I remedied the problem by accidentally teleporting her to a town of ghouls who promptly ripped her apart, rip. Anyway we're free to continue, with the prospect of perhaps one day stumbling upon her corpse and the loot it carried. Hexxat will take her place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Fuligin posted:

ive been having this happen on my run through. what i have been doing is having them form up away from the exit to seperate and then try again.