Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I don't take bloody mess because I like looting stuff from bodies and some bodies get very, very hard to find with that on.

Yeah, I 100%'d FO3 a couple of years back (heavily modded of course) and I specifically avoided that perk for this reason, the joke wears a bit thin in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I never finished this game because it consistently crashed on a certain late-game plot mission that I guess spawned too many things or something. Second buggiest Bethesda game I ever played (the prize goes to daggerfall obvs which was essentially unplayable)

Will be fun to watch someone break it intentionally

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kanfy posted:

the joke wears a bit thin in the long run.

This could be the thread title.

Also the joke usually wasn't funny initially, either.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Hey, new OFS LP? Sign me up for some... oh no

oh no

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DiggleWrath posted:

Hey, new OFS LP? Sign me up for some... oh no

oh no

The only fitting response.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

But we haven’t even gotten to eating babies yet!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I finished Fallout 3, Anchorage, The Pitt, Broken Steel(Maybe?) and partway through Mothership: Zeta before I gave up. I played through Oblivion at least 3 times, there was something way less satisfying with Fallout 3.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Well Point Lookout was far and away the best DLC for FO3. Seems like Far Harbor for FO4 riffs on Point Lookout somewhat. ("Seems like" because I'm still waiting to get certain mods in place before I play FO4 again, so I haven't played the DLC yet.)

Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta are both linear dungeon crawls essentially, and Mothership Zeta in particular is awful. The Pitt was... alright? Great atmosphere, but especially dumb writing as I recall, even by FO3's standards.

Broken Steel infamously changed the ending of FO3 (because everyone hated it), and overall it was okay I guess but felt unfocussed.

Come to think of it, I only played each of the FO3 DLCs through once, even though I played the main game a number of times.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Antistar01 posted:

Well Point Lookout was far and away the best DLC for FO3. Seems like Far Harbor for FO4 riffs on Point Lookout somewhat. ("Seems like" because I'm still waiting to get certain mods in place before I play FO4 again, so I haven't played the DLC yet.)

Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta are both linear dungeon crawls essentially, and Mothership Zeta in particular is awful. The Pitt was... alright? Great atmosphere, but especially dumb writing as I recall, even by FO3's standards.

Broken Steel infamously changed the ending of FO3 (because everyone hated it), and overall it was okay I guess but felt unfocussed.

Come to think of it, I only played each of the FO3 DLCs through once, even though I played the main game a number of times.

The best thing about Point Lookout was that one of the shopkeepers could be glitched into having max repair skill and fix guns up to 100%.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The Pitt is actually the best Fallout 3 DLC because it's the only one where they don't give 75% of the enemies giant unblockable damage bonuses and half a million HP.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

StandardVC10 posted:

The Pitt is actually the best Fallout 3 DLC because it's the only one where they don't give 75% of the enemies giant unblockable damage bonuses and half a million HP.

Yeah but then you got the whole "collect 100 ingots" part to it too, however. Other than that The Pitt is probably my favourite one too because it looked even more like a hellworld than the capital wasteland.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The map you do the ingot collecting in is one of the better ones Bethesda's made, IMO

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Oof, yeah. BGS decided that certain enemies/areas needed to be super-extra aimed at high-level player characters for whatever reason, but didn't seem to want to go to any effort to achieve that, so... We ended up with stuff like weapons that had hidden bonus damage when in the hands of certain enemies. Often quite a lot of bonus damage that would also just ignore armour. Just flat extra damage no matter what.

Fortunately that sort of thing is easy to fix via mods. Mods to the rescue as usual.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Azza Bamboo posted:

I love the spoilers we can see in the title image

:perfect:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I really REALLY want to play FO3/NV again, maybe even try to fully do all the achievements...but A: PC is a laptop based potato and can barely handle flash games these days, let alone something like a buggy gently caress filled buthesdur game.
And B: the only other way I could play this is on PS3. And holy gently caress the last time I played it on PS3 I had over a 10 gig file post-game and it was barely holding together as is.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I love the spoilers we can see in the title image

So...what do you wish in exchange for this masterpiece? I hear souls are pretty expensive and worth a pretty penny in today’s lovely economy. Not mine though. I’m actually a ginger.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Sorites posted:

I miss when Shamus did deep dives into major games.

I missed when Shamus hadn't made everyone else on Spoiler Warning leave it by saying any exploration of LGBT content is inherently political and thus is bad.

TheNamedSavior fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 5, 2019

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

TheNamedSavior posted:

I missed when Shamus hadn't made everyone else on Spoiler Warning leave it by saying any exploration of LGBT content is inherently political and thus is bad.

That wasn't the reason for their split:

https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=38217
https://www.patreon.com/posts/9299827

And in any event, if someone doesn't want their little corner of the internet being dragged into the culture wars that's entirely reasonable (I hope OFS will take the same policy here). There's plenty of other places online to discuss that stuff.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DGM_2 posted:

And in any event, if someone doesn't want their little corner of the internet being dragged into the culture wars that's entirely reasonable (I hope OFS will take the same policy here). There's plenty of other places online to discuss that stuff.

I'm going to criticize or praise Fallout 3 where it deserves it on this topic. The fact that NPC races are fairly random in distribution? That's good. The part where the only homosexual thing my character can say nets a response of "gross"? That's not good.

Fallout 3 is a janky mess and that's more than just Albino Radscorpions waving way too much HP. If I can't point out how weird it is that Post-Nuclear Beth's mom died to give Liam Neeson some manpain then why the gently caress am I even here?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Post-Nuclear Beth steps out of the darkness and into the light. She doesn't age rapidly this time, she stays 19.

...And into the Capitol Wasteland. The fury of atmoic war and decades of exposure to the elements have left the landscape ruined.

Longtime Fallout 3 fans may have noticed it's not green. I have one mod installed at the moment, the lighting and landscape overhaul Fellout. It's the only mod for the main playthrough because it makes things not green.

In the distance, the Capitol dome and Washington Monument still stand, though the Monument seems like it's seen better days.

Completing the quest Escape! by, well, escaping earns Beth 200 XP. This launches her into level 2.

Beth gains 10 more HP from her 5 endurance and 19 skill points, base 10 with +9 from her intelligence. I get Explosives up a little for an important check, launch Lockpick closer to 50, and help out Science and Sneak some.

Every level, Beth gets a new Perk, which range from further skill bonuses to passive bonuses. Daddy's Girl, Gun Nut, Little Leaguer, and Thief give five points to two skills each, but since Beth is so smart, I don't really need the boost. Swift Learner gives an extra 10% to gained XP, an unnecessary bonus when Beth will be leveling up too fast anyway. Intense Training gives +1 to any SPECIAL attribute, but that's not a thing to consider yet.

So since the game won't let Beth be gay, she'll become so heterosexual it's weaponized. Black Widow increases damage against dudes by 10% and most of the human beings Beth wishes to destroy are men. I don't know if Bethesda's devs did this subconsciously, since they'd suffer from invisible systemic biases like most of us, or if it was a deliberate choice so I'd be bludgeoning fewer women with baseball bats, or what. But human enemies tend towards dudes on average.

This, incidentally, is why playing as a girl is the correct choice. Men get a mirror perk, Lady Killer. New Vegas would expand with homosexual perks but in Fallout 3 you only get straight ones.

The dialogue choices for Black Widow are fairly few and far between, Beth will say something vaguely horny and the dudes will abandon their entire philosophies because of this hot teen.

Walls of sheet metal with a crazy jet decoration? Must be that town the Overseer's logs mentioned.

Because this has all five DLC installed, they all take turns announcing themselves with these text boxes that pause the game.

Some of them have radio signals too, why not?

Drugs and grenades, completely normal things to put into the mail, yes.

Nuka-Cola vending machines!

Nuka-Cola, it's twice as healthy as roach meat.

Nuka-Cola, stays fresh for centuries.

Nuka-Cola, the best to drink for gun wounds.

Wow, what a lovely safe. The ruins of Springvale are oddly rich for how close it is to a settlement. I thought it'd be picked clean by now.

Guns, drugs, caps from soda pop bottles, sounds about right.

Ok this may be an even weirder thing to put in the mail. How did you fit a vacuum cleaner into it anyway?

A tiny spherical robot covered in antannae floats by, broadcasting Dixie at high volumes. Its purpose is esoteric but it doesn't seem to care about Beth.

Helpful signs point in the direction of Megaton. It's hard to go as the crow flies, sometimes.

Oh no! Beth has too much stuff in her pockets!

While overencumbered, Beth walks at a snail's pace and cannot jump! Woe betide me, all because I had to have the vacuum cleaner!

I need to get the weight of carried items below her maximum carrying capacity of 200 unknowable weight units. Luckily, Repairing batons with other batons both reduces the load and makes the repaired batons better!

Repair has a cap based on Beth's skill, and since she's kinda bad at it I can't repair these batons very well.

I could also eat some of this stuff sitting around like the roach meat and this bizarre thing, but, eh.

There's a wandering caravan merchant just down the road a bit!

"You bear the look of one who is haunted, but I am proud to say that my wares can protect you from even the cruel claws of death itself. Have a look."

>I'm here to buy.

"If the clothes make the man, then here are the means to re-make yourself."

Welcome to bartering. Beth's inventory is on the left, and Crow's on the right. I want this Raider Blastmaster Helmet, so I click on it to add it to the deal we're constructing.

He charges 4 caps for it.

Caps? Bottlecaps. Nuka-Cola bottlecaps are the standard currency of the Capital Wasteland for pretty simple reasons, the presses the Nuka-Cola company used to make them are long since out of commission, but the caps themselves are extremely distinct and durable.

I sell a bunch of the stuff gathered during the escape to get some caps in Beth's pockets.

Items in batches of fewer than six are moved one at a time, while ones in batches of six or more get this how many prompt.

Anyway, Beth makes 99 caps and a helmet with a nice explosives boost on this deal. We can always oversell things past how many caps the merchant has, but it's not a really good idea unless you just wanna get rid of poo poo or what we're selling is so valuable we can't really broker the deal otherwise.

I experiment with colors for the menus and Pip-Boy a little.

Doesn't really change much.

As the gates to Megaton open, the robot standing outside, Deputy Weld, insists Beth stops worrying about the bomb.

...What bomb?

Megaton is situated around the crater formed by the impact of an undetonated atomic bomb.

That's why they call it Megaton, after the bomb.

Who's this guy in a leather coat walking this way, anyway?

Lucas Simms is the leader of Megaton, a town stable enough to have elections for the position.

Beth has Good karma from punching Butch into a heap.

We can react politely per usual, be silent which Simms takes neutrally, or mock his hat, a train of dialogue that ends in the entire town attempting to murder Beth on the spot.

>Nice town you got here, sheriff. It's a pleasure to meet you.

"Friendly AND well-mannered? I think we're gonna get along just fine. You treat my people nice, and you're welcome to stay as long as you'd like."

>I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?

"Nope, sorry. I got enough fires to put out in this place that I don't have time to keep tabs on every visitor. I'd ask around town."

Well, there is a pressing topic I'd like to resolve.

>Let's discuss this bomb.

"What about it?"

why is the undetonated atomic weapon the centerpiece of town

"It's not like the place was put up over night. Megaton's been here for decades, been growing and growing ever since. Started out as a small settlement of people trying to get into Vault 101. When they were denied, they stuck around here. Some of 'em started worshipping the thing like a god. Now we've got a whole goddamn Church. They're nuts, no doubt, but mostly harmless. By now, most people don't give a poo poo. They figure if it ain't gone off by now, it never will. I respectfully disagree."

>I can see about disarming that bomb for you.

"Oh, all right. Fine. But listen here. Just take a look at it first. Go easy. If you get the job done, there'll be 100 caps in it for you."

>I don't need a reward. I couldn't sleep at night knowing you could all die.

This forfeits the caps for some karma. It's a lot easier to lose karma than gain it.

The Power of the Atom is one of the game's 17 named sidequests, and I intend to complete all 17 one way or another. It's one of the more important ones to complete for... reasons.

It must be by that model bomb with the word "supply" sticking out of it. Far side of town is a saloon, too.

Next to the bomb is a man preaching to anyone who will listen. It's composed of 16 individual dialog chunks that loop. The full thing is:

"Let those who dwell here in his favored land attend now to the words of the Prophet of Atom! Come forth and drink the waters of the Glow, for this ancient weapon of war is our salvation, it is the very symbol of Atom's glory! Let it serve as a reminder of the Division that has occurred in the past and the resplendence of the promise of our division in the times to come! Give your bodies to Atom, my friends. Release yourself to his power, feel his Glow, and be Divided. There shall be no tears, no sorrow, no suffering, for in the Division, we shall see our release from the pain and hardships of this world. Yea, your suffering shall exist no longer; it shall be washed away in Atom's Glow, burned from you in the fire of his brilliance. Each of us shall give birth to a billion stars formed from the mass of our wretched and filthy bodies. Each of us shall be mother and father to a trillion civilizations. Each of us shall know peace, shall know an end to pain, and shall know Atom in his glory. I urge you, my friends come, drink with me and pray... Glorious Atom, I give unto you these feeble bones. I present to your will this frail body. I beg of you to use me as your vessel, guide me to your brilliance, divide each particle and give relief to this rotten flesh. Cast the fragile form of this ephemeral body into new life in the forge of your Glow. Atom, come bestow your presence on your unworthy servant. We stay true, until the Day of Division until the dawn of your return to His humble world. Behold! He is coming with the clouds! And every eye shall be blind with his glory! Every ear shall be stricken deaf to hear the thunder of his voice!"

And repeat. He's a proto-Heimskr.

Might as well get the axioms from the source.

>What do you believe?

"When that atomic mass is split, a single universe divides and becomes two thus signifying the single greatest act of Atom's creation. Occasionally, a divine event occurs and trillions upon trillions of new universes are created. The last such event took place here, 200 years ago. Where most of the lost children of Atom see that event as simple war and devastation, we see creation and unification in Atom's Glow."

A post-nuclear religion for a post-nuclear age.

Beth is slightly too bad at grenades to disarm an atomic warhead. If only I wand a way to boost it by exactly 5 points...

The water pooling around the bomb is radioactive. Irradiation is a slow but silent killer. Getting a small dose like this isn't a problem, but it doesn't go away on its own and it can build up fast.

Beth is the only creature in the entire wasteland that gets radiation poisoning, by the way. Cromwell spends most of his day standing in the radioactive pool with no effect, something that'd kill Beth in under 17 in-game hours.

The general store, Craterside Supply, has an eccentric clerk.

"Good to meet you! I'm Moira Brown. I run Craterside Supply, but what I really do is mostly tinkering and research."

Quite a variety. Offscreen are "How do you people live out here? I haven't found a food dispenser anywhere!" and "It was cramped, dark, and the food sucked. Good riddance."

>It was paradise down there. No fear, no worries, no fighting... Until Dad left.

"A runaway dad, huh? I've seen plenty of them before. But none with a big "101" on their back. Good luck finding him. Maybe the Armored Vault Suit will help you out there, huh? That'll be good for the book. In fact, want to help me with the research? I can pay you, and it'll be fun!"

>Sounds good. Tell me more.

"For that, I need an assistant to test my theories. I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt because of a mistake. Nobody's ever happy when that happens. No... Then they just yell a lot. At me. With mean, mean words."

>Sounds like a great idea! I can't wait to help!

"Good enthusiasm! Now, I think the first chapter will have to be about surviving day-to-day dangers. Things like where it is and isn't safe to find food, the dangers of radiation, and how to avoid and even profit from dangerous landmines. Ooh, sounds like fun, doesn't it? Which do you want to do first?"

Wasteland Survival Guide is another of the 17 named sidequests, and it's the longest, most involved, and most intricate, made of three sets of three tasks each. I take radiation as it's the least involved of chapter 1's tasks.

"Well, that's what I need your help for, isn't it? I know lots about it from books, but I never seem to get a live example. Not for long, anyway. So I need you to get a bit of radiation poisoning so I can study its effects. Oh, not a deadly dose, of course - I can fix you up before that!"

>Okay, I'll get irradiated. Just be ready to fix me up when I get back.

"Now, 200 rads should be enough for basic sickness, but if you can get 600 or more rads, my tests will be even more accurate. Just make sure you can get back here, and I'll see to it that you're well taken care of!"

Each task has a main goal and an optional goal. The main goals are all we need to accomplish but we get more rewards for getting the optional ones as well, naturally.

Moira is the town's main merchant so let's get to that too.

Moira's randomized stock happened to hit the basic energy weapon the AEP7 Laser Pistol. 12 damage per shot, 1.5 times critical hit multiplier, 6 shots a second, 30 shots per battery of Energy Cells.

The issue is that energy cells ain't exactly growing on trees, and this laser pistol is almost broken, losing a lot of the potential it could've had.

Moira also sells a lot of junk, like basketballs. This game has a lot of odd clutter.

Dammit, I need to get rich and/or good at haggling really fast.

This town's been so good to Beth, of course she's gonna do a little breaking and entering on the nice sheriff.

Ah, but the door is above her skill? How can she possibly pick the lock!?

The utility jumpsuit gets her from 40 to 45. Almost there...!

Drugs solve a lot, huh? The +5 Perception from Mentats puts her at 55. The Intelligence bonus is capped because her base is already so high, a mere +1, so it doesn't do much for her there. Oh well, not what I'm here for.

It's tougher than the locks she's been dealing with before but not much.

Lucas Simms keeps some nice stuff on his shelves. Sledgehammers have a meaty 20 damage and a long reach, but a slow attack speed and high AP cost. They're relatively common melee weapons at least.

This stuff is marked owned, which is why it's red. If Beth is caught stealing it the owner will be upset! Like, draw guns and shoot her upset.

Even if she's doing it in secret, it's still objectively evil and her soul is tainted. 5 points worth of tainted.

Not owned in Lucas Simms's house however, is another bobblehead.

This one is for an attribute, and there's one for each SPECIAL attribute. They permanently increase their attribute by 1.

And so, Beth will begin her arbitrary odyssey to the mouth of the Patomic River.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I knew I was right to sub to this thread despite knowing gently caress-all about the game. Never change, OFS. :respek:

Also despite knowing gently caress-all about the game I'm really enjoying this, there's something wonderfully charming about how dumb a lot of this update is. "Eh, I guess you could disarm the nuclear bomb that could kill most of us and poison and maim the rest at any time, if you really insist. No rush."

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
You know, even as someone who enjoys roasting this game, I could have sworn there were more than 17 named sidequests. Might just be getting confused and thinking about areas that aren't actually linked to sidequests, though.

One thing I feel is worth bringing up after getting a look at Nuka-Cola: food and drink. It... adds variety, certainly, but since in Fallout 3 they all restore a tiny, flat amount of HP, and most come with a bit of rads, and they have weight, and there's no survival system in terms of needing to eat or drink introduced at this point, the existence of these items has the small problem of not actually accomplishing much of anything for the player. Nuka-Cola weighs the same as 2 frag grenades, and grants you a whopping +2 rads for +10 HP. The only thing stopping Post-Nuclear Beth from switching to an all stimpack diet and being incredibly better off for it in every way is obtaining enough of said stimpacks.

Sci-fi health potions being effective isn't a bad thing, mind you. It's just a little silly when you can collect plenty of food and drink all over the place, put it in your inventory, and then only eat 10 or 20 things at a time to clear out room in your pockets when the potions take up no space.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Black Robe posted:

Also despite knowing gently caress-all about the game I'm really enjoying this, there's something wonderfully charming about how dumb a lot of this update is. "Eh, I guess you could disarm the nuclear bomb that could kill most of us and poison and maim the rest at any time, if you really insist. No rush."

It's not even that hard to disarm. Only 25 in explosives, and you too can disarm a WMD. It's not like nukes are all that important to the world of Fallout anyways, they're just some random set dressing that the developers though looked cool. Definitely don't need to make that skill check really high, even if nuclear bombs are actually that easy to disarm.

DiggleWrath fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 8, 2019

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Moira's one of the characters that really benefit from voice acting. I can see why some people would consider her annoying, but she's one of my favorite characters in this game.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

DiggleWrath posted:

It's not like nukes are all that important to the world of Fallout anyways, they're just some random set dressing that the developers though looked cool.

For all of Bethesda's sins, I think this isn't little more than a reference to that one Planet of the Apes movie. They worship a friggin ICBM in that one, if I remember correctly.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

quote:

The ruins of Springvale are oddly rich for how close it is to a settlement. I thought it'd be picked clean by now.

Two hundred years!

Still the stupidest element of the setting.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...Could a grenade even feasibly be functional after spending 200-something years semi-exposed to the elements?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The TNT would still work but the mechanisms could be rusted to heck. You'd probably need to pull the whole plug mechanism out and idk light the fusewire with a match or something?

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

LashLightning posted:

For all of Bethesda's sins, I think this isn't little more than a reference to that one Planet of the Apes movie. They worship a friggin ICBM in that one, if I remember correctly.

Are you suggesting that Bethesda put in a live nuclear weapon, the thing that irrevocably changed the world of Fallout and [s]what should be[/i] a grim reminder of the wastelander's mortality, in a major population center, not as some symbol of the damages wrought by the old war or any number of things, but instead as a cheap reference to a contemporary movie?

Because if that were true, it might imply that Bethesda is bad at writing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm surprised you're grabbing that bobblehead. Not gonna wait till 30?

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

DGM_2 posted:

That's literally what I am criticizing here. Life Is Strange is a game VERY strongly themed around identity politics you can't just ignore that stuff because you refuse to talk about "politics" and remain neutral about everything. Shamus ALSO wrote an idiotic piece on the New Colossus review where said dumbass claimed part of the reasons why critics enjoyed the game unlike him (apparently Shamus' opinions are objectively true) is because of the current "anti-nazi craze" that the rear end in a top hat compared DIRECTLY to the anti-communist craze during the 80's and 90's, completely IGNORING the awful rise of fascism that's getting worse every day that passes, what a load of crap. Also, In that post, Shamus seems to see no problem with "FOX news-watching Trump supporters" as being friends what so ever...clearly, racial violence towards Mexicans is just another opinion, and people who try to fight against it are "worse" than people who believe that all mexicans are murderous rapists and thus need to be all lined up and murdered. Clearly.

Except, no, it isn't.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SSNeoman posted:

I'm surprised you're grabbing that bobblehead. Not gonna wait till 30?

If I hit 30 at all it'll be a miracle.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'd expected the playthrough to be slightly more sociopathic. They usually are.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd expected the playthrough to be slightly more sociopathic. They usually are.

For lack of any other options to be bad?

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Regalingualius posted:

For lack of any other options to be bad?

Hey, you don't have to be a sociopath in Fallout 3. Bethesda also gives you the option of being a saint, if that's more your speed.

What, you want more nuanced options other than either being the worst thing to happen to the wasteland since the war or becoming wasteland Jesus? Nah, that sounds boring.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
You can also be the robber saint, the only thing to match your kindness being your kleptomania.

That's how I played it, at least.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I do have one question about the food.

Where did Beth find an iguana?

Gnoman posted:

Moira's one of the characters that really benefit from voice acting. I can see why some people would consider her annoying, but she's one of my favorite characters in this game.

She's also charmingly dumb from a clueless newbie point of view. "Go get radiation poisoning so I can study it! I'm pretty sure I can probably cure you afterwards, maybe!" Though since OFS said Beth's the only one who even can get radiation poisoning I'm not sure how Moira even knows it's a thing that can be studied.

Dance Officer posted:

You can also be the robber saint, the only thing to match your kindness being your kleptomania.

That's how I played it, at least.

That's how I play every video game. Yes, I will gladly and nobly save the world, but I will also stuff my pockets with everything not nailed down, and a lot of the stuff that was nailed down as well. It's the Hero Tax. And people object less if you're nice to them while yoinking their poo poo.

As for Shamus, he was already on my sad list of people I used to like before I knew they were assholes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’d probably make for a somewhat funny gag if every few days, the current High Priest of Atom succumbed to massive radiation sickness, and you’d have to go through introducing yourself to the newest one whenever you need them. Maybe even include some speech check where you can attempt to bullshit them by claiming that one of their predecessors made out an IOU from the church’s coffers to you.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm a little confused, why did Beth even collect 10 bottle caps right off the bat? She's lived inside the vault all her life, so she wouldn't even know that bottle caps have become wasteland currency. As far as she knows, that's just worthless trash. You'd think Bethesda would have had a helpful NPC be the first thing she sees to explain this bit of world building or something.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Beth is slightly too bad at grenades to disarm an atomic warhead. If only I wand a way to boost it by exactly 5 points...

I'm hoping that saying it requires 25 Explosives means this sidequest would be more involved than that? Because if all you need to disarm this nuclear bomb is 25 Explosives then :psyduck:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

amigolupus posted:

I'm hoping that saying it requires 25 Explosives means this sidequest would be more involved than that? Because if all you need to disarm this nuclear bomb is 25 Explosives then :psyduck:

You'd have thought if it was that easy then someone might have done something about it in the 200 years since the bombs fell, right? Alas, this is Fallout 3 and everything is still covered in debris and nothing can be done without the main character's help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

TheNamedSavior posted:

That's literally what I am criticizing here.

You strike me as the sort who's out to shove his politics down everyone else's throats. I'll be blunt - if this were my thread I'd be warning you to knock it off before I called the mods.

But as it's OFS's thread, I suggest we both just drop it rather than start a fight here. Agreed?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)