Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

I would hope that £400/month includes bills which seems a touch more reasonable but the article doesn't spell that out (other than a mention that they're losing their single person discount on council tax)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

I cannot _believe_ he is seemingly getting away with this. Absolutely disgusting.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Anyone who abuses power imbalances is obviously wrong but that's hardly unique to a lodger/landlord situation. Lodgers have statutory rights so they would be sensible to know what they are too.

But in exercising their statutory rights, lodgers have to have escalating disputes with, and eventually take legal action against, the person they live with.

I'm pretty sure most people here who live alone wouldn't take in a stranger for free.

Yeah it's either 92% of your mortgage or nothing, no wiggle room there.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Noxville posted:

https://twitter.com/richardburgon/status/1179712281627766784?s=21

Literally what Thomas Mair shouted before he killed Jo Cox. I don’t see how they can maintain plausible deniability about what they’re saying any more but I’m sure the press will cover for them anyway

These people are loving deranged psychos and they shouldn't be within a hundred miles of the levers of power

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Wachter posted:

But in exercising their statutory rights, lodgers have to have escalating disputes with, and eventually take legal action against, the person they live with.

By this logic nobody should live with anyone ever pretty much. If your landlord (or flatmate, or spouse,...) is acting lovely you're probably going to want to get out of that situation as soon as is reasonably possible; knowing your rights is obvious an important part of that.

Wachter posted:

Yeah it's either 92% of your mortgage or nothing, no wiggle room there.

Well the article sort of implies it includes bills and it's hard to make a subjective judgement on the price without knowing what normal rents are in that area. I just think it's ridiculous to dogpile on this and act as if it's exactly the same as BTL landlordism and it therefore unadulterated a priori evil when it's not.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
buying a house with more rooms than you need just to have lodgers is bad

offering out spare rooms in the house you happen to have is unambiguously good and more people should do it

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

that money article posted:

Thankfully tonight was a cheap night as there were only two of us. Although I only spent £7.95 this week, I would say my average is about £20 per week - and around £30 if I was going "out out".

what the gently caress sort of 'out out' night are you getting for £30? imagine having a net accommodation cost of £36 a month and still nickel and dime your way through the week eating microwaved carrots like a miserly boomer

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

By this logic nobody should live with anyone ever pretty much. If your landlord (or flatmate, or spouse,...) is acting lovely you're probably going to want to get out of that situation as soon as is reasonably possible; knowing your rights is obvious an important part of that.

Well the article sort of implies it includes bills and it's hard to make a subjective judgement on the price without knowing what normal rents are in that area. I just think it's ridiculous to dogpile on this and act as if it's exactly the same as BTL landlordism and it therefore unadulterated a priori evil when it's not.

I'll give you that it's not as awful as BTL landlordism, but charging someone money in order for them to have a place to live is a priori evil imo

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

i mean what you should do is sell your house and move into a smaller house, but people get weird about their houses

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Torygraph premium article (I'm getting them free for now - unasked - as they try to entice me to pay).

quote:

When the EU crushes Boris's chaotic Brexit plan, his only way out is no-deal

So, is the PM's 'delusional' offer deliberately designed to fail?

The strength of the Conservative Party is that it doesn’t know its own weakness. After three years spent on life support, the Government is almost supernaturally resurrecting: Theresa May’s botch-up has become an establishment stitch-up. An extension no longer necessarily spells Boris Johnson’s extinction. And the ease with which the Tories have swapped the sallow benevolence of austerity for the warm glow of Brexit populism has left Corbynistas incredulous.

Still, the natural party of government seems dangerously close to squandering its recovery in a fit of typical Tory complacency. No 10’s mindboggling proposal for a divorce deal is already a serious communications problem. The PM’s vow in his speech closing Conservative Party conference to deliver Brexit “come what may” has now been lost in the maelstrom of debate about checks on animals and customs borders. His quips comparing Parliament to the pizza wheel of doom were submerged beneath vaporous claptrap about ensuring “renewable democratic consent” in Northern Ireland.

Boris Johnson thrives on cutting through the Brexit pandemonium with the clarion cry: “the people versus Parliament”. But the very process of seeking a deal with the EU complicates this devillishly simple message. And the PM’s proposal – which involves two borders, and Northern Ireland leaving the customs union, but staying in the single market for agriculture and industrial goods for a period – is monstrously complicated.

It may well be possible to negotiate a free trade agreement on the basis of the divorce deal that No 10 has proposed. But three years of Tory lies and Brussels doublespeak have bred distrust. The public have acquired a sophisticated sixth sense for can-kicking measures disguised as clever solutions (like keeping Northern Ireland in the single market for four more years).

The Government’s silence on other problematic aspects of the Withdrawal Agreement has only heightened suspicion. (On thorny issues like fishing and European Investment Bank contributions, we are still none the wiser about its plans.) Nigel Farage was quick to suggest yesterday that Johnson is readying to “reheat” Mrs May’s “dreadful deal”. Many Brexiteers will be minded to agree.

Let us hope there is an intriguing twist to this story. It is rumoured that the PM has designed his proposal to be rejected by Europe after a few days of phoney talks, because he knows that no deal is his only route to a majority. Johnson understands all too well that if the narrative swings back from establishment conspiracy to Conservative catastrophe, his party will be eviscerated. He also no doubt senses that the Opposition is aching to deploy Brexiteer language against him, with accusations of “betraying” the union.

And the PM is not the only player in this game who thrives on chaos. Like all bureaucracies, the EU derives its power from never-ending problems, rather than neat solutions. It also exists in a fifth logical dimension where things don't necessarily work in theory, even if they work in practice. It will therefore almost certainly throw out the PM’s proposal over the next few days, and opt for an extension. Negotiating with the EU is like being waterboarded by a librarian. Its decision to entertain talks with Britain is driven by the box-ticker’s disdain for rule breakers and weakness for passive-agressive vengeance. It will delight in dragging Johnson to Brussels in order to, demolish Britain’s offer with slow, pedantic viciousness.

As Johnson has said himself, if (or rather when) Brussels refuses to budge, no deal is the only alternative. No doubt, the Prime Minister’s 287 colleagues will try to cajole and flatter him into sticking lipstick on the existing Withdrawal Agreement. A lazy hypothesis has also taken root in Westminster that the amorphous grey human matter known as “public opinion” just wants “Brexit done”. Politicians have clearly forgotten how disastrously Theresa May’s deal polled. They also wrongly calculate that they can gaslight Leavers with the small print, deluging debate with arid detail to confuse the public’s gut instinct. It won’t work. Voters know that Brexit should smell like Brexit, not the exhumed Withdrawal Agreement.

Bogged down by their own dastardly brilliance, “centrist” Tories are blind to the bottom line. Most still do not grasp that they cannot win a majority with the promise of a half-baked Brexit compromise. They can, however, bring about a Leave landslide by signing up to a WTO exit, and agreeing a pact with Nigel Farage. This is not just because exasperated Eurosceptic Tories have one foot out of the door. Life-long Labour voters who want Brexit will never switch sides for the sake of a dubious Tory plan, but they could well rally to the anti-establishment rhetoric of no-deal.

And then there is the small point that it may well be later rather than sooner that Labour grants Mr Johnson his election. The PM must at all costs avoid being left both neutered by Parliament and clutching an unpopular deal. His popularity may defy the political odds, but he does not so much walk on water as on quicksand.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

The only acceptable mushroom foraging is for magic mushrooms

this is SO dangerous in this country iirc, liberty caps look way too much like another mushroom- i want to say death caps - that will kill you loving dead. i got curious and looked into it years ago and there were entire loving forums of people going "is this going to get me high or am i going to die". i'd do smack first.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

No you see social inferiors *should* feel guilt over enjoying luxuries (returns to furiously typing proposal to reinstate sumptuary laws).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In an ideal world you wouldn't charge a lodger for anything other than an equal share of the bills and council tax, but given the housing market and the restrictions that work places on where you can buy, I'm not gonna blame anyone for not being quite that generous.

Edit: obviously not giving a pass to people trying to get some poor fucker to pay off their entire mortgage for them.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 3, 2019

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

coffeetable posted:

i mean what you should do is sell your house and move into a smaller house, but people get weird about their houses

That's pure Tory 'bedroom tax' type nonsense. You're saying nobody should ever have a spare room? And also one of the key points of failure of the stated purpose of the bedroom tax is that there isn't actually a huge supply of these vacant 1 bedroom houses/flats for these people to move in to. I also don't think it's "weird" to have an emotional attachment to the place you live.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm pretty sure most people here who live alone wouldn't take in a stranger for free.

Perhaps you should charge them proportional to the space you are selling them, minus some more because they don't have any autonomy over the space, like you do.

Rather than, say, nearly the entire value of the property per month.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

LMAO this is a truly excellent description for the EU.

quote:

Like all bureaucracies, the EU derives its power from never-ending problems, rather than neat solutions. It also exists in a fifth logical dimension where things don't necessarily work in theory, even if they work in practice. It will therefore almost certainly throw out the PM’s proposal over the next few days, and opt for an extension. Negotiating with the EU is like being waterboarded by a librarian. Its decision to entertain talks with Britain is driven by the box-ticker’s disdain for rule breakers and weakness for passive-agressive vengeance. It will delight in dragging Johnson to Brussels in order to, demolish Britain’s offer with slow, pedantic viciousness.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

CoolCab posted:

this is SO dangerous in this country iirc, liberty caps look way too much like another mushroom- i want to say death caps - that will kill you loving dead. i got curious and looked into it years ago and there were entire loving forums of people going "is this going to get me high or am i going to die". i'd do smack first.

Always go with someone who's picked em before of course. I think most will have been snaffled up by now, but growing mushrooms at home is a fun hobby.

I accidentally smoked spice the other week, speaking of getting high/die. Ropey stuff that.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Barry Foster posted:

Chicken thighs are way, way tastier than breast and getting more fat is always good, but they're inconvenient as heck when you're trying to restrict calories while getting in the protein.

Dry chicken breast in perpetuity. Yum yum

I agree chicken thighs are the bomb, but if you invest in a food thermometer you'll never have dry chicken breasts again. Just season and bake them, take them out when they reach the right temp and they're always juicy as hell, without fail.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps you should charge them proportional to the space you are selling them, minus some more because they don't have any autonomy over the space, like you do.

Rather than, say, nearly the entire value of the property per month.

We don't know how reasonable or unreasonably the £400 a month is. The £436 payment on a 30 year term suggests a mortgage of around £90,000 which may or may not be a large proportion of the value. And as already stated it's possible that includes bills too. I just don't agree with the "it would be morally superior to leave the spare room empty than ever rent it out" logic going on here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

That would only make it harder for me to tell the difference.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The logic is she's leveraging her capital to get her mortgage paid for her, which is textbook lovely landlord behaviour.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

That's pure Tory 'bedroom tax' type nonsense. You're saying nobody should ever have a spare room? And also one of the key points of failure of the stated purpose of the bedroom tax is that there isn't actually a huge supply of these vacant 1 bedroom houses/flats for these people to move in to. I also don't think it's "weird" to have an emotional attachment to the place you live.
there are sixteen million unoccupied bedrooms in the uk. i would absolutely support a bedroom tax if it applied to everyoneand was proportional to home value and only applied over a certain threshold that reflected the costs of moving house

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 3, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

We don't know how reasonable or unreasonably the £400 a month is. The £436 payment on a 30 year term suggests a mortgage of around £90,000 which may or may not be a large proportion of the value. And as already stated it's possible that includes bills too. I just don't agree with the "it would be morally superior to leave the spare room empty than ever rent it out" logic going on here.

Even then she's still profiting from the wealth equity gain on the house as it increases in value.

Not sure why 'profiting off another human's basic need for shelter' is such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Oh come on. The lodger/landlord relationship is totally different to those between flatmates or spouses. The landlord both owns and occupies the lodger's home; the lodger must co-exist alongside someone who views them as a source of income. I used to work in Housing Benefit and heard first hand the egregious poo poo that comes out of these dynamics.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

justcola posted:

I accidentally smoked spice the other week, speaking of getting high/die. Ropey stuff that.

I'd definitely rather do smack than that. Some of the stories I've heard about spice are properly harrowing, and the potential for long term effects is pretty scary too. The fact that a lot of people think they're better off using spice than weed because weed is illegal is testament to how stupendously moronic and irresponsible drug prohibition is

Aphex- posted:

I agree chicken thighs are the bomb, but if you invest in a food thermometer you'll never have dry chicken breasts again. Just season and bake them, take them out when they reach the right temp and they're always juicy as hell, without fail.

Yeah, I was being a bit whingy there, but it does still wear thin. Luckily I also get to choke down tins of tuna for variety too, lol

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Boris Johnson knows that the EU will take no deal of his, because he's promised no deal to a lot of very wealthy disaster capitalists. The addendum to this is that if Brexit gets called off, the last thing anyone will see of him is a pair of clown shoes floating down the Thames November 1st.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I think very few, if any, people are saying to leave it empty, comrade.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

coffeetable posted:

there are sixteen million unoccupied bedrooms in the uk. i would absolutely support a bedroom tax if it applied to everyoneand was proportional to home value and only applied over a certain threshold that reflected the costs of moving house

Of course there are lots of spare rooms because in general we don't build many one bedroom properties. I looked on Rightmove for properties for sale in Leicester (where the author is stated to be from) and we can see the following:

1 Bedrooms: 144
2 Bedrooms: 519
3 Bedrooms: 845
4+ Bedrooms: 723

So only 6.5% of the properties for sale are 1 bedroom properties so good luck with your genius policy initiative.

Rarity posted:

Even then she's still profiting from the wealth equity gain on the house as it increases in value.

Not sure why 'profiting off another human's basic need for shelter' is such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

Ok so she should just evict her lodger and Rarity will be happier.

Wachter posted:

Oh come on. The lodger/landlord relationship is totally different to those between flatmates or spouses. The landlord both owns and occupies the lodger's home; the lodger must co-exist alongside someone who views them as a source of income. I used to work in Housing Benefit and heard first hand the egregious poo poo that comes out of these dynamics.

Substantial power imbalances can exist in all of those situations. Sometimes one flatmate might be the principal on the lease. Sometimes a boyfriend/girlfriend will move into their partners home they already own. Sometimes one person in a relationship/marriage will earn significantly more than the other.

Miftan posted:

I think very few, if any, people are saying to leave it empty, comrade.

They want to force everyone like her to move into a supply of 1 bedroom apartments that don't actually exist in those numbers?

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 3, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

baka kaba posted:

it does feel like something's up, they keep doing this "we will not ask for an extension" and "yes of course we will act in accordance with the law :agesilaus:" which makes them seem like some smartass kid who's thought of some technicality to get out of doing their homework tonight. Like it doesn't just come across like bluffing until he's forced to get the extension, they're extremely bad at that kind of thing
It reminds me of that defence minister in the 2nd Iraq invasion. "Don't be ridiculous, the American tanks are nowhere near the capital, and even if they were they're no match for our mighty army! Everything is fine!" As the city loving explodes behind him. And then when the US army hits Baghdad, he just loving disappears. Everything's fine until it isn't, and then they just disappear so they don't have to face the music.

[cameron-humming.mp4]

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Bercow has just complimented the house on the tone of the debate today. He has to be completely unaware of the comments from Jake Berry, right? :psyduck:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Of course there are lots of spare rooms because in general we don't build many one bedroom properties. I looked on Rightmove for properties for sale in Leicester (where the author is stated to be from) and we can see the following:

1 Bedrooms: 144
2 Bedrooms: 519
3 Bedrooms: 845
4+ Bedrooms: 723

So only 6.5% of the properties for sale are 1 bedroom properties so good luck with your genius policy initiative.
weird how developers don't think there's any reason to build one-beds. i wonder how that could be encouraged

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What part of "if her mortgage is £400 a month and she sees all the benefits of paying it, she shouldn't be charging her lodger £400 a month for a room" is escaping you?

If the house is worth that much then the room is worth far less than that. But because she has the capital she can dictate the terms of the rent, and has chosen to fob off the costs of her own enrichment on her lodger, that is landlording, and it is bad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

You should hear some of the egregious poo poo that comes out of the power dynamics of families.

(That's not excusing the landlord, it's saying that the concept of the nuclear family as it exists under capitalism leads to some really hosed up power dynamics, and while our long term goal should be abolition, our more immediate requirement is providing shelter and support for people trying to get away from both families and landlords.)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

coffeetable posted:

weird how developers don't think there's any reason to build one-beds. i wonder how that could be encouraged

Don't bother and just let people have 2 bedrooms as a minimum.

OwlFancier posted:

What part of "if her mortgage is £400 a month and she sees all the benefits of paying it, she shouldn't be charging her lodger £400 a month for a room" is escaping you?

If the house is worth that much then the room is worth far less than that. But because she has the capital she can dictate the terms of the rent, and has chosen to fob off the costs of her own enrichment on her lodger, that is landlording, and it is bad.

She's presumably charging that because its the going rate in the area for a room.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

good point, i would be very happy with freeing up just the eight million homes with two spare bedrooms

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

coffeetable posted:

Indeed. But we have to deal with the situation we have right now not the one you think we can have in the future.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm saying we *don't know* the full facts of the situation. I'm not saying that it's possible or even likely she should be charging less to be fairer at all. I also don't think you should be completely ignoring the having a complete stranger living with you thing either. I've yet to see any comrade piping up and saying they allow someone they don't know to live with them for free because they had a spare room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't see a reason to give landlords the benefit of the doubt.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

She's presumably charging that because its the going rate in the area for a room.

Other people profiting by being shitbirds does not give you a free pass to do the same.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, that is not necessarily true.

A house in the countryside outside of a large city is probably worth X while a room in London may be worth nX. Not saying this is the case here, but someone could be currently living in a city and wanting to move out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Barry Foster posted:

I'd definitely rather do smack than that. Some of the stories I've heard about spice are properly harrowing, and the potential for long term effects is pretty scary too. The fact that a lot of people think they're better off using spice than weed because weed is illegal is testament to how stupendously moronic and irresponsible drug prohibition i

Aye, it's loving awful, like being on a rollercoaster whilst having a whitey. I couldn't talk, when I tried to leave I ended up walking backwards, by the time I got home I was in cold sweats vomiting on my kitchen floor. Day after felt like a comedown without being able to get cosy. There's nothing enjoyable about it at all - I've done a lot of drugs and that was one of the strongest and dirtiest.

It's a loving disgrace how it's running rampant in cities, substance abuse should be a health issue rather than crime.