Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It reminds me of that defence minister in the 2nd Iraq invasion. "Don't be ridiculous, the American tanks are nowhere near the capital, and even if they were they're no match for our mighty army! Everything is fine!" As the city loving explodes behind him. And then when the US army hits Baghdad, he just loving disappears. Everything's fine until it isn't, and then they just disappear so they don't have to face the music.

[cameron-humming.mp4]

Here in the UK he was "Comical Ali" (after Chemical Ali), in America he was known as Baghdad Bob, and "Baghdad Bobbing" is the action of doing this style of denial in the face of overwhelming evidence of your downfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Would it be ethical to rent a room at 1/2 the price of the average in your area if you have a two bedroom apartment and you only need one to sleep? Or would the only UKMT acceptable solution be to host someone for free? Maybe bills?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

That Italian Guy posted:

Would it be ethical to rent a room at 1/2 the price of the average in your area if you have a two bedroom apartment and you only need one to sleep? Or would the only UKMT acceptable solution be to host someone for free? Maybe bills?

Their share of bills/council tax is generally considered the ethical option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whole lotta people making the "but what about the market rate??" argument as if, as noted, everyone else being a piece of poo poo excuses you.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Here's some mushrooms I saw growing on the pavement earlier. I looked at them for a minute and then decided to leave well alone.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

An equal share of bills and council tax, yes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I use my second bedroom as a study/office. My living room isn't big enough for both a computer and my bookshelves, and gently caress having a second person living here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angrymog posted:

I use my second bedroom as a study/office. My living room isn't big enough for both a computer and my bookshelves, and gently caress having a second person living here.

Read this as second bathroom.

Was rather horrified.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

Whole lotta people making the "but what about the market rate??" argument as if, as noted, everyone else being a piece of poo poo excuses you.

Whose making that argument?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Angrymog posted:

We bought a cottage which has 4 bedrooms so we made one into a piano room and one into a home office. We do plan on using them as bedrooms but not just now. If you buy a house outside of the city you'll struggle to get one with just 1 bedroom.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

You should hear some of the egregious poo poo that comes out of the power dynamics of families.

(That's not excusing the landlord, it's saying that the concept of the nuclear family as it exists under capitalism leads to some really hosed up power dynamics, and while our long term goal should be abolition, our more immediate requirement is providing shelter and support for people trying to get away from both families and landlords.)

I hear you, and my job experience has exposed me to just as much family-related poo poo, but I'd argue the landlord/lodger dynamics are still unique due to the financial obligation to and dependence on a cohabitant. The closest parallel in a family would be an abusive relationship in which one partner demands money from the other under the threat of separation. Of course the latter example does happen, but is a dysfunctional relationship, unlike the landlord/lodger, which is like that by design and default.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nettle Soup posted:

Here's some mushrooms I saw growing on the pavement earlier. I looked at them for a minute and then decided to leave well alone.

I like to believe there's a post/username combo here

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

We lived in our rented flat in London for 7 years. The management wasn't too bad, compared to some of the stuff you hear, but most years we'd get a letter that boiled down to "the rent is going up because everybody else is doing it!"

Remember, if there's such a thing as a "fair price" for accommodation, then it's fair in the absolute (or maybe relative to wages?), not relative to the ~~market~~

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobstar posted:

We lived in our rented flat in London for 7 years. The management wasn't too bad, compared to some of the stuff you hear, but most years we'd get a letter that boiled down to "the rent is going up because everybody else is doing it!"

Remember, if there's such a thing as a "fair price" for accommodation, then it's fair in the absolute (or maybe relative to wages?), not relative to the ~~market~~

...are there places where that doesn't happen?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Substantial power imbalances can exist in all of those situations. Sometimes one flatmate might be the principal on the lease. Sometimes a boyfriend/girlfriend will move into their partners home they already own. Sometimes one person in a relationship/marriage will earn significantly more than the other.

Bane of my life in my twenties living in HMOs. We were 7 in a flat - kitchen was a cooker on the landing and a fridge in the living room, and another time 6 in a shared terrace in the back end of Clapham Junction (which in the late 1970s was not Yummy Mummy central the way it is now).
People would move their b/f or g/f in and They would decide they were Mummy and Daddy of the house and try to insist on 'family meals' on Sundays which we would naturally all take turns to cook (my b/f did shifts, we weren't spending our weekends cooking a f*ing Sunday Roast - I have never cooked a Sunday Roast since I left home aged 18).
And of course, they only counted as 1 person for the chores rota. So if you suddenly had 8 people instead of 7 and redrafted the rota accordingly, Mummy & Daddy Of The House would get their knickers in a twist and say it wasn't fair because they should only for some reason be counted as 1 person.

Sharing your home with someone who is not your romantic partner can be a major trial (and can be even if they're not).

A lot of the 'second bedrooms' available are very small, approx 2.4m x 2.4m - only big enough for a bed and a tiny cupboard. Not big enough for private rental sector.

quote:

In a separate move in December 2017, the government announced they were putting rogue landlords 'on notice', with the introduction of new measures to stamp out overcrowding and improve standards for those renting in the private sector. This includes new rules setting minimum size requirements for bedrooms in houses of multiple occupation:

Room used for sleeping by 1 adult: No smaller than 6.51 sq. m.
Room used for sleeping by 2 adults: No smaller than 10.22 sq. m.
Room used for sleeping by children of 10 years and younger: No smaller than 4.64 sq. m.
source: https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Minimum_space_standards

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 3, 2019

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/DreamboatSlim/status/1179730855327080448?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or at the very least, having the capital up front should not grant you access to a better market that also doubles as a ridiculous savings account.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

...are there places where that doesn't happen?

Previous places I'd lived normally had some bullshit justification about costs or something. Never quite that blatant.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao how is that not firebombed instantly?

E: Ireland introduced Rent Pressure Zones, including all of the Dublin metro area, where 4% increase per year is not only allowed, it's pretty much mandated. I mean, it's better than the previous rental market with its huge unregulated jumps in "fair market value", but there's something very neolib about the state solving a crisis of housing undersupply by... encouraging landlords to raise rents on an annual basis.

Wonder if it's anything to do with all those landlords sitting in the Dáil :thunk:

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 3, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord grant me a golf club and no witnesses

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

Aye, it's loving awful, like being on a rollercoaster whilst having a whitey. I couldn't talk, when I tried to leave I ended up walking backwards, by the time I got home I was in cold sweats vomiting on my kitchen floor. Day after felt like a comedown without being able to get cosy. There's nothing enjoyable about it at all - I've done a lot of drugs and that was one of the strongest and dirtiest.

It's a loving disgrace how it's running rampant in cities, substance abuse should be a health issue rather than crime.
The worst thing about that whole shitshow is that a lot of the first generations of spice were developed entirely for research for people like John W. Huffman to study cannabinoid receptors in the lab, because legal weed was a huge loving pain to get licensing for. The whole thing is prohibition's fault all the way down.

The other worst thing is that we know this would happen, because it's been happening ever since nicomorphine and dibenzoylmorphine flooding the market the day after heroin was prohibited.

The only way around it is either dumb blanket bans like the PSA which don't work, or accepting that "some substances are so dangerous that only armed gangs should be entrusted with their supply" is dumb as poo poo and ending prohibition plus addressing the social atomization that causes addiction in the first place.

Tesseraction posted:

Read this as second bathroom.

Was rather horrified.
Horrified because you thought he was living in a booj house with two bathrooms or horrified because you thought he was making GBS threads in his office?

Wachter posted:

I hear you, and my job experience has exposed me to just as much family-related poo poo, but I'd argue the landlord/lodger dynamics are still unique due to the financial obligation to and dependence on a cohabitant. The closest parallel in a family would be an abusive relationship in which one partner demands money from the other under the threat of separation. Of course the latter example does happen, but is a dysfunctional relationship, unlike the landlord/lodger, which is like that by design and default.
Yeah, plus there's a lot of blurred lines like charging kids board and stuff, and the idea from a Marxist Feminist or AnFem perspective that the the concept of the nuclear family as it exists under capitalism is itself violent, but along gender lines rather than class lines. Which (as Marx said of the bourgeoisie) doesn't mean that every nuclear family is bad just for being a nuclear family, but that it perpetuates this.

The solution to this for AnFem's wouldn't be to destroy that through violence and oppression, but through offering other parallel options that some people might prefer. Shelter for domestic abuse survivors is an urgent care version of that, but like treating friend groups to be as important as family is also an example (which is why domestic abusers hate that).

I'm not sure what the lodger equivalent of that is, maybe letting your mates couch surf while helping with their paperwork for housing help.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Lord grant me a golf club and no witnesses

Two cameras on the top left and right of the storefront. I'm sorry.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I'm actually intrigued by the moral ramification of this thing and where the line in the sand gets drawn to the point where someone becomes bad. All these are hypothetical questions w/o a real case in mind.

1) Let's say: you have inherited wealth in the form of an apartment because your parents/grandparents/relatives generation was wealthier, but are now living with a minimum wage job and have no other forms of income. You decide to rent the second room in this apartment to someone to make sure you/your family are able to get to the end of the month. Are you a "landlord" (in the sense of "all landlords are bad")?

At what point in the slider scale you go from being "bad" to being "good" in this scenario?
2) What if you need some life saving medication and the only way you could afford it is by renting (aka: you are leveraging your capital to meet an unavoidable need)?
3) Would making your room available at X£ to someone who would otherwise be renting a room somewhere else at nX£ be ok (aka: you are making someone happy, but you could make someone happier)?
4) All form of private property is theft, but we live in a world where 99% of what goes on is based around private property. Where do you draw the line between "be the change you want to see in the world" and "there is only X I can do to change the world?"

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 3, 2019

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

2) What if you need some life saving medication and the only way you could afford it is by renting (aka: you are leveraging your capital to meet an unavoidable need)?

Are you a bad enough dude to rent your apartment?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man, I wish Chris Morris was more prolific.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1179419540939268097

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm actually intrigued by the moral ramification of this thing and where the line in the sand gets drawn to the point where someone becomes bad. All these are hypothetical questions w/o a real case in mind.

1) Let's say: you have inherited wealth in the form of an apartment because your parents/grandparents/relatives generation was wealthier, but are now living with a minimum wage job and have no other forms of income. You decide to rent the second room in this apartment to someone to make sure you/your family are able to get to the end of the month. Are you a "landlord" (in the sense of "all landlords are bad")?

At what point in the slider scale you go from being "bad" to being "good" in this scenario?
3) Would making your room available at X£ to someone who would otherwise be renting a room somewhere else at nX£ be ok (aka: you are making someone happy, but you could make someone happier)?
4) All form of private property is theft, but we live in a world where 99% of what goes on is based around private property. Where do you draw the line between "be the change you want to see in the world" and "there is only X I can do change the world?"

1. No
2. Yes
3. No (unless n<1)
4. The line does not exist

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 3, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Horrified because you thought he was living in a booj house with two bathrooms or horrified because you thought he was making GBS threads in his office?

I assuming they just meant toilet and no house should have just one toilet. Every house needs 2 toilets. The only kind of place that should have one toilet is one where you literally have zero friends or family and will never have anyone ever come to your house.

So you know, goons.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

4) All form of private property is theft, but we live in a world where 99% of what goes on is based around private property. Where do you draw the line between "be the change you want to see in the world" and "there is only X I can do change the world?"

I'm not going to poo poo on someone for using the resources they have, in this system, to make sure their/their family's needs are met because we all do this. We all benefit from others having a lovely time (especially wrt the third world) but that doesn't mean that it's 100% ethical. On the other hand if you don't need that money to live and are just making a profit/making someone else pay your mortgage then you're an rear end in a top hat, yeah.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

what if a baby swallows the nuclear codes and the only way to get them back is by renting

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Junior G-man posted:

Two cameras on the top left and right of the storefront. I'm sorry.

A paintball gun will solve that. You could either target the cameras and clear the way for the golf club, or just shoot the jag directly, artillery-style

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
My reading of that money article is that her mortgage is ~£800 and half of that is being covered by the lodger, and she got that place as a first house by being frugal.

Which basically means that she saved a lot to get a house with more bedrooms than she needed or felt she could personally afford, so she’s become a landlord in order to support her capital growth. While panicking about spending £1.50 on lunch when her monthly wealth increases by far more than that due to the lodger alone.

It’s firmly in the “as a landlord who gets hundreds of pounds of money from my tenant, I, too, am unable to afford anything” camp.

If her total mortgage payment on a 2 bed starter home is actually just ~£400, then that’s worse, and I really have to wonder what sort of deposit she got, and how.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I assuming they just meant toilet and no house should have just one toilet. Every house needs 2 toilets. The only kind of place that should have one toilet is one where you literally have zero friends or family and will never have anyone ever come to your house.

So you know, goons.
My house does have only one toilet and you have to go through my bedroom to get to it, but it's not because I have no friends, it's because British housing.

Like there's a few thousand houses in the country that look like this:

where only the back bit has water pipes.

Where would you put a second toilet in that? In the kitchen? Run a soil pipe through to the reception room so you can greet guests on it?

I am considering a second toilet, but it would have to go in the brick shithouse that housed the original Victorian outside toilet, so it's have to have a macerator or something.

Miftan posted:

I'm not going to poo poo on someone for using the resources they have, in this system, to make sure their/their family's needs are met because we all do this. We all benefit from others having a lovely time (especially wrt the third world) but that doesn't mean that it's 100% ethical. On the other hand if you don't need that money to live and are just making a profit/making someone else pay your mortgage then you're an rear end in a top hat, yeah.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Lt. Danger posted:

what if a baby swallows the nuclear codes and the only way to get them back is by renting

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A paintball gun will solve that. You could either target the cameras and clear the way for the golf club, or just shoot the jag directly, artillery-style

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

4) All form of private property is theft, but we live in a world where 99% of what goes on is based around private property. Where do you draw the line between "be the change you want to see in the world" and "there is only X I can do to change the world?"

This is going to be reality for a huge amount of people. A generation hoping their boomer parents don't live to 110 and pay their accumulated wealth into nursing home costs rather than allowing for their kids to inherit a house that'll be their only ever chance of home ownership.

If there was actually viable social housing for people, locked in where you wouldn't have to worry about having a place to live, then there wouldn't be people in their forties hoping their parents go out nice and quietly and give them the one nice taste of capitalism (to offset the whole parent dying thing) they'll ever get in their life.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mrenda posted:

If there was actually viable social housing for people, locked in where you wouldn't have to worry about having a place to live, then there wouldn't be people in their forties hoping their parents go out nice and quietly and give them the one nice taste of capitalism (to offset the whole parent dying thing) they'll ever get in their life.
Is that why Labour won't support assisted dying? :v:

Seriously though Labour should support assisted dying, and while their commitment to better health and social care is laudable, using that to duck the assisted dying issue sucks for people who are terminally ill right now and can't afford the £10k for Dignitas.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/OnePlus_UK/status/1179735559725555712?s=19

Just how easy is it to get a second hand fire engine?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tesseraction posted:

So you know, goons.

what the heck

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

But that's not to say we shouldn't try

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rarity posted:

Their share of bills/council tax is generally considered the ethical option.

Honestly just half the mortgage + bills is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Is that why Labour won't support assisted dying? :v:

Seriously though Labour should support assisted dying, and while their commitment to better health and social care is laudable, using that to duck the assisted dying issue sucks for people who are terminally ill right now and can't afford the £10k for Dignitas.

But if we have assisted dying you'll have kids encouraging their happy but wasting parents to die so they won't be a burden?
*points at 100% inheritance tax*