Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Wasabi the J posted:

Yes, apparently, but they don't look like that.

Female condoms look like that, though.

It hadn't occurred to me to Google 'horse condoms', but I'm glad you did so I don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pyrotoad posted:

According to the twitter comments she was giving herself a homemade chemical peel which became a full on burn by the look of it. Which is slightly better than my assumption that she was like trying to make a permanent contour effect or something.

I assumed a self chemical peel, but then why just the cheeks? That isn't an area that gets a lot of wrinkles. It can get acne scars, but if her whole cheek had scars I'd expect her chin, nose, and forehead to also have scars. Other kinds of scars would be unlikely to be on both cheeks. Just a very odd area to choose for resurfacing.

It's possible she was trying a relatively harmless area first, so she doesn't accidently blind herself trying to get at the crows feet or melt her nose or something. But if you're doing it just to see how it works, it would be better to do just one side so you can compare -- that would even make better content for her channel.

None of this makes any sense!

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

The Ape of Naples posted:

[cries in corner]

I, too, am crying in the corner. Mostly because that link is 404-ing now.

I definitely am not their target audience. :rip:

Pyrotoad posted:

According to the twitter comments she was giving herself a homemade chemical peel which became a full on burn by the look of it. Which is slightly better than my assumption that she was like trying to make a permanent contour effect or something.

Seriously, I'm mostly wondering what the gently caress is in that vial. Like, did she just put some kind of awful acid on her face for internet points or something?

Like, it seems like that "chemical peel" would be better used in a home-made ceviche recipe video.

pseudorandom has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Sep 27, 2019

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pseudorandom posted:

I, too, am crying in the corner. Mostly because that link is 404-ing now.

I definitely am not their target audience. :rip:

Seriously, I'm mostly wondering what the gently caress is in that vial. Like, did she just put some kind of awful acid on her face for internet points or something?

Like, it seems like that "chemical peel" would be better used in a home-made ceviche recipe video.

Faceviche.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

I was afraid she was holding a horse condom and readied myself for a different kind of horror.

Bigger than before!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

It was an at home procedure to give herself a chemical burn in a specific area of her face to mimic the contouring effect usually acquired through the use of cosmetics. She self harmed in a situation without medical advice or assistance because of immense pressure from society to be constantly presenting a particular appearance and standard of female beauty. I hope with this explanation people understand that this is not funny or amusing at all. Its horrifying.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

value-brand cereal posted:

It was an at home procedure to give herself a chemical burn in a specific area of her face to mimic the contouring effect usually acquired through the use of cosmetics.

How was that even supposed to work? Was she hoping to actually eat away the flesh, leaving concave areas in her cheeks? Or was it supposed to leave some kind of dark, non-puffy scarring? I feel like for a contoured look you'd want something more like a stain than a freaking burn.

I'm uncomfortably reminded of myself, several years ago, when I became obsessed with some dumb little mark on my leg and hacked at it with a knife because "the scar will cover it up." :downs:

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

artsy fartsy posted:

How was that even supposed to work? Was she hoping to actually eat away the flesh, leaving concave areas in her cheeks? Or was it supposed to leave some kind of dark, non-puffy scarring? I feel like for a contoured look you'd want something more like a stain than a freaking burn.

Neither, chemical exfoliation is for... exfoliating. Removing dead, dry skin. You should never do it DIY and she's an idiot for trying, but this idea of exfoliating yourself into permanent contouring is not a thing. It's like how men constantly tell each other that women shave their eyebrows off just to draw them back on. It's just making poo poo up because you have too much disdain for women to learn anything about makeup and skincare.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

extremely online posted:

It's like how men constantly tell each other that women shave their eyebrows off just to draw them back on. It's just making poo poo up because you have too much disdain for women to learn anything about makeup and skincare.

Then why do women pluck out all their eyebrows?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ianmacdo posted:

Pica. They pluck them out to eat them.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ianmacdo posted:

I feel like you could figure out the answer from context if the context wasn't women

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

extremely online posted:

I feel like you could figure out the answer from context if the context wasn't women

Nah, it's just weird if you haven't been inducted into the beauty mysteries. I, a woman, have dark hair and pretty bushy eyebrows. Felt bad about it for decades, because in the 70s, 80s, and 90s thin eyebrows were the thing, unless you were Brooke Shields. I never learned to pluck them to a fashionable thinness because one eye is just slightly higher, but my eyebrows are the same height, and staring into the mirror trying to resolve this conundrum caused the image to start distorting until I looked like the hunchback of notre dam, so I ignored it. (Also plucking eyebrows really hurt the few times I tried and I'm a wimp).

With the result that I assumed every woman had thick prominent eyebrows, and many plucked them into pencil lines or entirely removed them on purpose. It wasn't until my 40s that I realized many women had naturally much finer and sparser eyebrows than me, just like they had finer less visible leg hair than me. Some have wee eyebrows that look like they only go half way. Some have pale hair causing nearly invisible eyebrows.

Sometimes you just don't notice the ways other people are different than you. :shrug:

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nah, it's just weird if you haven't been inducted into the beauty mysteries. I, a woman, have dark hair and pretty bushy eyebrows. Felt bad about it for decades, because in the 70s, 80s, and 90s thin eyebrows were the thing, unless you were Brooke Shields. I never learned to pluck them to a fashionable thinness because one eye is just slightly higher, but my eyebrows are the same height, and staring into the mirror trying to resolve this conundrum caused the image to start distorting until I looked like the hunchback of notre dam, so I ignored it. (Also plucking eyebrows really hurt the few times I tried and I'm a wimp).

With the result that I assumed every woman had thick prominent eyebrows, and many plucked them into pencil lines or entirely removed them on purpose. It wasn't until my 40s that I realized many women had naturally much finer and sparser eyebrows than me, just like they had finer less visible leg hair than me. Some have wee eyebrows that look like they only go half way. Some have pale hair causing nearly invisible eyebrows.

Sometimes you just don't notice the ways other people are different than you. :shrug:

I also have the kind of eyebrows that I joke about with that line from Princess Diaries about "we shall call them Frida and Kahlo" - I learned to keep them relatively tame with tweezers and pretty high self-inflicted pain tolerance but yeah, it took me a long time to accept I just looked different than the tiny dainty-featured women and I'd have to work with what I had.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I have really fair hair and invisible eyebrows, and am also pretty hairy. The current fashion of emphasizing your eyebrows baffles me because what the hell colour do I use. Can I draw them in blue. Can I have a different colour eyebrow every day. This is not any more outlandish on me than drawing them in brown. I do pluck the middle because i have a bit of a unibrow though.

To Do: next time I'm just loving around with makeup, try multicoloured eyebrows and see how that works.

That said, there's a couple regulars at work who are old ladies with no eyebrows (could be thinning hair, a quirk of genetics, or overplucked to the point they don't grow back, who knows) who draw them on, but draw them on in this incredibly unnatural perfect semi-circle shape in a place where you can clearly see their natural brows would not be, and I've always wondered what that deal is. Was it a fashion at some point in their youth, and they've never stopped doing it that way? Is it a product of deteriorating vision and/or motor control? I have no idea.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Okay I've been wondering the same thing-- like when did the "draw eyebrows on where they obviously don't go" trend start? Why does it persist?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Scathach posted:

Okay I've been wondering the same thing-- like when did the "draw eyebrows on where they obviously don't go" trend start? Why does it persist?

Start? Heian-period Japan (At least, that's the earliest I'm aware of). Persist? :iiam:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

big black eyeliner wings aren't natural either but we do it bc it's fun and cute

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only realised recently what eyebrows actually do because I started going to the gym and they finally served their purpose - sweat barriers. They prevent sweat getting into your eyes - my bushy brows at their default were barely doing it too, so it seems like plucking is kind of counterintuitive. Certainly it can look nice, but your making your face work less well doing it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BioEnchanted posted:

I only realised recently what eyebrows actually do because I started going to the gym and they finally served their purpose - sweat barriers. They prevent sweat getting into your eyes - my bushy brows at their default were barely doing it too, so it seems like plucking is kind of counterintuitive. Certainly it can look nice, but your making your face work less well doing it.

They are also a communication tool that makes it easier for others to read facial expressions. Unless you're one of those sad-sack blonds with invisible eyebrows. In which case maybe drawing them on in black marker is a #lifehack

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Scathach posted:

white women were doing it in the 1920s and latina women were doing it in the 1990s and those two data points are all ive got outside the heian

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Scathach posted:

Why make-up? Why tattoos? Why anime shirts?

We just don't know :shrug:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
drawing eyebrows on my nipples to fool the deep state

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

InediblePenguin posted:

white women were doing it in the 1920s and latina women were doing it in the 1990s and those two data points are all ive got outside the heian

yeah, that specific brand of post-Selena Hispanic women in the 90s are my automatic reference point when I see obviously drawn/tattooed eyebrows and I just can't take them seriously

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why make-up? Why tattoos? Why anime shirts?

We just don't know :shrug:

Okay but the start of this was about men being confused that women would shave off their eyebrows to draw them back on, the poster seems to imply that women don't do this, but they do?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TheMaskedUgly posted:

ʙɪɢɢᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ ʙᴇꜰᴏʀᴇ

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
My step mom has been shaving her eyebrows and drawing them back on for years. She does draw them in natural color and a natural shape mostly over her where her normal eyebrows would go, so I'm honestly confused as to why she does it as she has brown hair. You'd think she could just let them grow and shape them but whatever. She does a decent job, it's not instantly noticeable unless you're looking for it or she's drawn them very thin.

I have big, shameless eyebrows so I just mildly shape and trim so they are even with no unibrow.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Being a woman is nightmare.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paladinus posted:

That's why we need so many lifehacks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Paladinus posted:

I wish the men's personal grooming industry was more like the women's industry, just for equality purposes. All a man really needs to deal with is "Your cheeks are not smoother than a baby's rear end," "Your hair looks as old as you actually are," and "You do not smell like the right kind of horny animal." Eyebrows only get dealt with if we have an inch-thick monobrow, and usually not even then.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dareon posted:

I wish the men's personal grooming industry was more like the women's industry, just for equality purposes.

I don't really think equality of suffering should be the goal, let's make the women's grooming industry more like the men's instead.

I wanna smell like an iceberg :(

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Taking bets on which company will be the first to put out a "gun" smelling bodywash or some other stupid smell.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Zipperelli. posted:

Taking bets on which company will be the first to put out a "gun" smelling bodywash or some other stupid smell.

Well, there's the Xbox bodywash, and I used to use an axe shampoo called 'anarchy'

Anarchy smells like mint chocolate btw

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Zipperelli. posted:

...such as, ahem, 'GRENADE SOAP CO™ - GRENADE SOAP™ in GUNSMOKE'? Or 'Gunsmoke Fragrance, Perfume & Body Oil : The notorious smell after a gun has been shot -- metallic, dry and ominous'?

There's several results from smaller companies on the first page of google results alone, though I'll admit most are perfumes or soaps rather than bodywashes, for whatever reason.

...also explicitly by name 'perfume' rather than 'cologne', at that, for whatever reason.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You have to move your eyebrows up now so you can do a really intense cutcrease and wear 5 colours of eyeshadow. Also thick eyebrows are in thanks to the Kardashians. They dictate beauty trends now and have for several years.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Paladinus posted:

Whoever first invents a way to add pockets to women's clothing shall be hailed as a hero for all time.

Someday, if the future is bright enough, the ladies shall join us in knowing the joy of cargo pants. You too shall look everywhere for your laptop's power adapter only to laughingly discover you've been carrying it in your outside thigh pocket all day and didn't even know it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Powered Descent posted:

Whoever first invents a way to add pockets to women's clothing shall be hailed as a hero for all time.

Someday, if the future is bright enough, the ladies shall join us in knowing the joy of cargo pants. You too shall look everywhere for your laptop's power adapter only to laughingly discover you've been carrying it in your outside thigh pocket all day and didn't even know it.

A friend of mine used to shop at the boys section to have pockets on her clothes. It kind of worked. Another option is to become a cybergoth.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

just go full LARP and have like a dozen pouches hanging from your belt (sold separately)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Paladinus posted:

A friend of mine used to shop at the boys section to have pockets on her clothes. It kind of worked. Another option is to become a cybergoth.

My girlfriend accidentally wore a pair of my slightly slimfit jeans one day, and she was confused all day about when she got a pair of jeans with decent pockets and where she could get more.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

See this is why when I wear pants, they're men's. For some reason my dresses have reasonable pockets. Also steal men's bodywash.

So I guess I'm saying, lifehack!!1! Take men's poo poo and use it as your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
MISANDRY MISANDRY MISANDRY