Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It's the day they're supposed to work everything out, so we should know soon if anything else need to be handed down by the judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If they work things out, if not the judge does at which case he'll have to pay up much worse.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's a good day in Dallas to sweep big court news under the rug, what with the ex-police officer getting 10 years.

I'm genuinely curious to see if Vic admits defeat here, though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can't wait for Vic to also get a bible reading from the judge and a promise of a study bible for prison.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Nobody is going to prison, he's just gonna be out of a bunch of money at some point

e: unsurprisingly

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1179585361439318016?s=21

Ignis fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 3, 2019

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Expected.

Friday the Judge will put the smackdown on them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, there was no way either party was going to budge an inch there. The Defendants because of how strong their case is, and the Plaintiffs because they're dumb.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

their one ticket out of this, can't wait to see that ruling. how long before the confidentiality of the details of mediation falls apart?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The Spider's Thread IRL.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

their one ticket out of this, can't wait to see that ruling. how long before the confidentiality of the details of mediation falls apart?

I give it Monday at the latest, because one of them will want to rant about how they totally owned those stupid accusers by refusing to mediate and will win this handily on their own terms if they could only get enough money, hint-hint.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ignis posted:

Nobody is going to prison, he's just gonna be out of a bunch of money at some point

:yeshaha:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm shocked that they're willing to risk it all on this awful case instead of settling and grifting their base some more. Vic's gotta be the one who won't take no for an answer right? Ty's folded in front of the judge every time but Vic's been so totally removed from the process that he probably only knows as much as his lawyers tell him.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

TheHan posted:

I'm shocked that they're willing to risk it all on this awful case instead of settling and grifting their base some more. Vic's gotta be the one who won't take no for an answer right? Ty's folded in front of the judge every time but Vic's been so totally removed from the process that he probably only knows as much as his lawyers tell him.

You got to remember two things.

1. They're that inept.

2. They likely actually believe they're winning due to being so inept.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Would a lawyer letting their client reject mediation without warning him he's going to waste his money get them in trouble with the bar? Or would the consequences be limited to a malpractice suit by the client?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the mediator should have made all of that very clear. vic finding out his money is on the line was the major chance of a change in tactics, but alas

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Keltar posted:

You got to remember two things.

1. They're that inept.

2. They likely actually believe they're winning due to being so inept.

A live performance of Dunning-Kruger in court!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
God bless america

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
This isn’t at all like Phoenix Wright ace attorney!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Alan Smithee posted:

This isn’t at all like Phoenix Wright ace attorney!

Well, the defense is clearly going to win, that's one similarity.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ignis posted:

This could go on for over two more years? Sounds expensive.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

bessantj posted:

This could go on for over two more years? Sounds expensive.

I think most of that time is just, like...waiting. The courts are already packed full of poo poo that needs taking care of.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It could go on for two years if Vic appeals.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Slick Vic! Can't lose!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I'm a little murky on the details; this is bad for Vic, right?

Summary of my understanding:
Vic accused of sexual assault publicly
Vic tries to prosecute his detractors
Lawyers (Screech??) Try to make case on batshit claims
Judge dismisses most charges, indicating most of the claims were inadmissable on their face
Judge urges Vic and Co to reconsider working this out *HINT*
Vic and Co refuse to budge

... But 2 years from now, we'll find out how badly Vic and Co hosed up.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

we'll find out tomorrow that all claims are dismissed and ty will push an appeal not caring that he's just setting more of his client's money on fire

or comedy option a single claim makes it past tcpa adding more time to the process raking up more billable hours as an appeal can't get lodged until the rest of the case is settled

as far as the appeal ty can't add facts to his case and can only work off of what's been submitted to the court. so uh, good luck

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
You missed my favorite part where Vic's lawyers forgot to do the bare minimum basic legal legwork in obtaining affidavits that would bolster Vic's claims of losing work over the #metoo claims. And that the inevitable appeal cannot include new information such as those missing affidavits so many of his claims are now malformed and poorly supported.

Plus there was some possible notary public fraud in there for the affidavits they did have, which could possibly come up in an appeal.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Merrill Grinch posted:

You missed my favorite part where Vic's lawyers forgot to do the bare minimum basic legal legwork in obtaining affidavits that would bolster Vic's claims of losing work over the #metoo claims. And that the inevitable appeal cannot include new information such as those missing affidavits so many of his claims are now malformed and poorly supported.

Plus there was some possible notary public fraud in there for the affidavits they did have, which could possibly come up in an appeal.

Oh I'm just focusing on the anime rapist not the dipshits representing him.

Can someone so a quick dossier of who his lawyers are and their thread nicknames?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Nick is mad as hell on Twitter right now. Calling people cucks and whatnot

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Can someone so a quick dossier of who his lawyers are and their thread nicknames?

Mignogna's actual lawyer is named Ty Beard. I can understand why you'd mistake that for a nickname. Beard is an estate lawyer, and he's quite out of his depth here.

He got this lawyer on the recommendation of Nick Rekieta, a "free speech" lawyer and right-wing Youtube grifter.

There's also Greg Doucette, who is a lawyer but isn't involved in this at all except as someone who's been making fun of Rekieta/Mignogna/Beard on Twitter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shame Greg isn’t on the other side. Be easy to make fun of his name. All we have is ty neckbeard and nick wrecktieta

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cease to Hope posted:

Mignogna's actual lawyer is named Ty Beard. I can understand why you'd mistake that for a nickname. Beard is an estate lawyer, and he's quite out of his depth here.

He got this lawyer on the recommendation of Nick Rekieta, a "free speech" lawyer and right-wing Youtube grifter.

There's also Greg Doucette, who is a lawyer but isn't involved in this at all except as someone who's been making fun of Rekieta/Mignogna/Beard on Twitter.

Who's Screech then??

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Wasabi the J posted:

Who's Screech then??

Screech is Nick Rikieta.

Ty is also known as Blackface Lawyer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

If he were any more a Gimmick lawyer he’d run into court in blackface going “is this the black ty event?!?”

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Adnor posted:

Screech is Nick Rikieta.

Ty is also known as Blackface Lawyer.

No, Rekieta is Blackface Lawyer because he wore blackface

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RubberLuffy posted:

Nick is mad as hell on Twitter right now. Calling people cucks and whatnot

I mean that is pretty much how he normally conducts himself on Twitter

Piell posted:

Ty’s nickname is “Percy” but that is not so much a ‘nickname’ as it is ‘his actual name’

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Piell posted:

Oh I got confused then, thanks for the correction.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

TheHan posted:

...Vic's gotta be the one who won't take no for an answer right?

Well....yeah that's how this whole thing really started.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

If he were any more a Gimmick lawyer he’d run into court in blackface going “is this the black ty event?!?”

lmao

codenameFANGIO posted:

I mean that is pretty much how he normally conducts himself on Twitter

He's definitely more agitated since everyone found out that Ty is is sugar daddy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
....so when is this happening today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dwarf74 posted:

....so when is this happening today?

The judge will give the dismissals tomorrow.