Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1179695245627445250

antisemite corbyn

cat tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Weetman posted an incredible galaxy brain take and I resisted linking it.

One day at a time. Recovery is a slow process.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

CoolCab posted:

this is SO dangerous in this country iirc, liberty caps look way too much like another mushroom- i want to say death caps - that will kill you loving dead. i got curious and looked into it years ago and there were entire loving forums of people going "is this going to get me high or am i going to die". i'd do smack first.

I don't see how being off your tits on smack would help you pick the right mushrooms :confused:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tesseraction posted:

Every house needs 2 toilets. The only kind of place that should have one toilet is one where you literally have zero friends or family and will never have anyone ever come to your house.

:popeye:

The cheapest 2 bathroom apartment in Dublin for Rent at the moment is 1800€/month, according to Daft.ie.
EDIT: the second cheapest is €2,156 per month.
EDIT2: if you move almost to another county at 1.5h from the city during peak hour you can find a 2 bathroom apartment for 1300€/month, though.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 3, 2019

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ThomasPaine posted:

what about takes from weedman :420:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Corbyn hates the Jews, so I got high.
He wants to hard leave the EU, so I got high.
Now I'm typing utter poo poo, and I know why.
Because I got high, because I got high, because I got high.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

My house does have only one toilet and you have to go through my bedroom to get to it, but it's not because I have no friends, it's because British housing.

Like there's a few thousand houses in the country that look like this:

where only the back bit has water pipes.

Where would you put a second toilet in that? In the kitchen? Run a soil pipe through to the reception room so you can greet guests on it?

I am considering a second toilet, but it would have to go in the brick shithouse that housed the original Victorian outside toilet, so it's have to have a macerator or something.

Ah yes, one of these. I used one in university and it was the most miserable house I ever lived in. Although in our case the toilet was on the ground floor just behind the kitchen. Which meant that sometimes I would be making lunch and have to hold my breath because a housemate decided that LUNCHTIME was the perfect time to clog the shitter with foul smelling turds.

baka kaba posted:

what the heck

I have (actual, diagnosed) OCD. Toilets are hell for me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

The cheapest 2 bathroom apartment in Dublin for Rent at the moment is 1800€/month, according to Daft.ie.
EDIT2: if you move almost to another county at 1.5h from the city during peak hour you can find a 2 bathroom apartment for 1300€/month, though.

It's Dublin. Every house has a second toilet: the street.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
idk if its the home office or whatever lovely private company theyve outsourced productoin to but it appears that they havent even printed my new visa card let alone mailed it to me lol

lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ThomasPaine posted:

We're all here to support you, bud. You're doing great :unsmith:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

If you're in Dublin and this offended you, don't worry I meant the other side of Dublin.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tesseraction posted:

I have (actual, diagnosed) OCD. Toilets are hell for me.

you can't just have your own toilet in everyone's house though, what if you never even visit

bump_fn posted:

idk if its the home office or whatever lovely private company theyve outsourced productoin to but it appears that they havent even printed my new visa card let alone mailed it to me lol

lol

what's on it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You know whenever you feel the urge to post a Tweetman here, you can call us any time of the day to talk about it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

baka kaba posted:

what's on it

the combinations of numbers and letters that tell people im allowed to live here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

bump_fn posted:

the combinations of numbers and letters that tell people im allowed to live here

ohhhhh I see what you did there

hope you get it soon though🎃

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why the gently caress would I need two bathrooms just to have some friends over

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

spoilers are BROKEN

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Andrast posted:

ones for shittin and ones for hard drugs

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

maybe your friends are wizards? that's how they travel in harry potter right

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ThomasPaine posted:

thanks for doing what's good for us. now do what's good for you and log off twitter

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
One is for colonic prorogation and the other is for tweeting.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bump_fn posted:

ones for shittin and ones for hard drugs

I hope they're close by so you can get from the latter to the former at a moment's notice

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/tezilyas/status/1179663683967950848

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That Italian Guy posted:

My 2 bath apartment in central Dublin is €1500, due to aforementioned historical weirdness (multiple receiverships and some creative lying on my part).

Tesseraction posted:

I would argue, but then I remembered that one of the heroin enthusiasts who rough sleeps outside my block likes to seaside loaf directly outside our front door. I have not invited him the use of our spare room, I'm ashamed to say

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

coffeetable posted:

thanks for doing what's good for us. now do what's good for you and log off twitter

Let me get through stage 1 first god

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

coffeetable posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Andrast posted:

to prevent operation stack

look clearly I am against the thread zeitgeist here, but I stand by my toilet extremism, and those who disagree with me I am firmly putting onto this list I'm writing on toilet paper

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'd be happy to pay the entire monthly mortgage payment for my landlord if it meant I got that percentage of the equity in the property

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

coffeetable posted:

there are sixteen million unoccupied bedrooms in the uk. i would absolutely support a bedroom tax if it applied to everyoneand was proportional to home value and only applied over a certain threshold that reflected the costs of moving house

Lots of bedrooms in modern housing are too small, or the rest of the house is otherwise unsuitable to have lodgers in. I owned a 2-bed house before I left the UK and the 2nd bedroom was just big enough to get a standard double bed in, a small side table and a wardrobe, and after that you had barely any floor space left. Then apart from the master bedroom (which still didn't have that much space left after a bed and a dresser), the hall and the bathroom it only had one other actual room which was the open-plan kitchen and lounge.

So yeah technically I could've had a lodger but it would've been pretty poo poo for the lodger and also for me and my wife - we'd have been living in each other's pockets.

I'd imagine a fairly large proportion of those 16m unoccupied bedrooms are rooms that are, or are in houses that are, fairly unsuited to having lodgers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I hope they're close by so you can get from the latter to the former at a moment's notice

if TCC has taught me anything it's that the latter makes the former unnecessary for long periods of time

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

baka kaba posted:

maybe your friends are wizards? that's how they travel in harry potter right

Still don't know what possessed JK Rowling to tell everyone that her wizards used to poo poo themselves and then magic it away, because the concept of a toilet was beyond them.

Lie awake at night in quiet horror at the thought.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 3, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tsaedje posted:

I'd be happy to pay the entire monthly mortgage payment for my landlord if it meant I got that percentage of the equity in the property
Right to Buy for private tenants sounds like a great idea, but only combined with getting rid of inheritance for land and fixed property.

WhatEvil posted:

Lots of bedrooms in modern housing are too small, or the rest of the house is otherwise unsuitable to have lodgers in. I owned a 2-bed house before I left the UK and the 2nd bedroom was just big enough to get a standard double bed in, a small side table and a wardrobe, and after that you had barely any floor space left. Then apart from the master bedroom (which still didn't have that much space left after a bed and a dresser), the hall and the bathroom it only had one other actual room which was the open-plan kitchen and lounge.

So yeah technically I could've had a lodger but it would've been pretty poo poo for the lodger and also for me and my wife - we'd have been living in each other's pockets.

I'd imagine a fairly large proportion of those 16m unoccupied bedrooms are rooms that are, or are in houses that are, fairly unsuited to having lodgers.
Or are being used for other things that would make them unsuitable for lodgers. Mine was full of tools (my own and borrowed) and building supplies while I was spending every weekend fixing poo poo with the house.

I do like the idea of a bedroom tax only applicable to people earning over a certain amount with unused bedrooms unless they could prove they were being used for something on paper, although it might result in the rich just inventing limited companies to office themselves there. A land value tax with relief if you take in lodgers from a public service agency might work better.

Julio Cruz posted:

if TCC has taught me anything it's that the latter makes the former unnecessary for long periods of time
And then suddenly very necessary.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah same.
In a '2 bedroom' apartment in Cork City. But its really a 1 bedroom as the one toilet, and both beds are within 6 foot from each other. And flimsy walls.
Maybe ideal for a couple and 1 kid, but not for two strangers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Still don't know what possessed JK Rowling to tell everyone that her wizards used to poo poo themselves and then magic it away, because the concept of a toilet was beyond them.

They didn't magic it away. They turned it invisible. They lived amongst gigantic, terrifying mounds of invisible manure.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

They didn't magic it away. They turned it invisible. They lived amongst gigantic, terrifying mounds of invisible manure.

tbf that just reflects rowling's perception of poor people

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tesseraction posted:

look clearly I am against the thread zeitgeist here, but I stand by my toilet extremism, and those who disagree with me I am firmly putting onto this list I'm writing on toilet paper

While you're doing that, I'm in your other bathroom. Shitposting.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pesky Splinter posted:

Lie awake at night in quiet horror at the thought.

even weirder that people go around identifying with the house whose members don't bother magicking it away, you'd think that'd be a dealbreaker

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I mean also the shorthand is that any room in a house that is not a bathroom, kitchen or lounge is called a "bedroom".

If there was a "bedroom tax" then it means you're not allowed to have rooms used for anything else. There are plenty of legit uses for other rooms in your house - office being the main one of course but I don't think it's unreasonable to e.g. have a "play room" if you've got kids, especially if the kids' bedrooms are small in the first place (which they likely are).

When I was growing up we lived in a house built in 1912 - lovely, horribly built thing, but at least my childhood bedroom had some actual floor space.

A land value tax like Guav said seems more reasonable. You could make it progressive and apply not just on a "per house" basis but a "per person" basis, and have it also apply to 2nd homes/buy-to-let, so the more total land you own the steeper the tax gets, and then you solve landlords too.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Ugh feeling rapidly more sick and weak and shivery as the day goes on. loving students (no that's not how I got sick)

I hate this time of year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

While you're doing that, I'm in your other bathroom. Shitposting.

That's why it's there. :c00lbutt: