Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

IGgy IGsen posted:

Please tell me this is real this is all I ever wanted.

It was fun sort of and an interesting concept, but it was also way too difficult and infuriating. It was based around battle royal style eliminations, except off platforms and oil rigs, so you had to wear everyone down and then toss them. Like the no mercy handicap matches x100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Brokenogre posted:

might be nostalgia glasses but i remember DoR being super fun to play, Especially after the 2 gamecube games that came prior to it, Wrestlemania X8 and Wrestlemania XIX were both trash and the story was a masterpeice after Wrestlemania XIX's "destroy the world so wrestlemania doesn't happen and you get your contract back" storyline

the actual gameplay is pretty fun, but the way finishers work is really weird. If your finishing move is quick enough, you can hit them with it three times before time runs out, it makes it really hard to actually lose. and tag matches take loving forever because whoever's on the outside always recovers in time to break the count unless you play for 15 minutes and beat them up even more than the legal opponent just so they'll stay down long enough for the three count

i unlocked Brutus Beefcake though so it's cool

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eggplant Ronin posted:

It was. You murder all of WWE's road crew and security then Goldberg makes Stephanie McMahon explode into a cascade of dollar bills. There was some light platforming elements, too.

This sounds more like River City Ransom than WWE.

remusclaw posted:

People always compared DOR to the AKI games and they had similar feel in some ways, but I dont really feel like they played as well. In the story mode, the 4 man cage match could go to time limit draw over and over again if you didnt get lucky. The ability for moves to interrupt other moves was cool, but what ended up happening was every body was falling down all the time in multi mans. There was also way too much button mash for a game on what I generally found to be a hard controller to use for button mashing.

I had to stop playing the DoR 2 story mode because I couldn't get past a cage match because my opponent wouldn't sell anything long enough for me to climb out. poo poo was broken.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

IGgy IGsen posted:

Please tell me this is real this is all I ever wanted.

here's the NL boiz playing XIX revenge mode as Test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtdwpZxmGYs

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Angry_Ed posted:

This sounds more like River City Ransom than WWE.

I had to stop playing the DoR 2 story mode because I couldn't get past a cage match because my opponent wouldn't sell anything long enough for me to climb out. poo poo was broken.

As much as the 2k games suck, I do appreciate them fixing the Triple Threats, 4 way matches, etc, so the computer AIs will actually fight each other, instead of them becoming non stop handicap matches against the human player.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

Low Desert Punk posted:

the actual gameplay is pretty fun, but the way finishers work is really weird. If your finishing move is quick enough, you can hit them with it three times before time runs out, it makes it really hard to actually lose. and tag matches take loving forever because whoever's on the outside always recovers in time to break the count unless you play for 15 minutes and beat them up even more than the legal opponent just so they'll stay down long enough for the three count

i unlocked Brutus Beefcake though so it's cool

Didnt DoR 1 (maybe 2 as well) work the same way as far as finishers go, you hit the buttons you go into special state and then you hit it over and over until the timer ran out, it was alot like the AKI games in that sense

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Fauxhawk Express posted:

here's the NL boiz playing XIX revenge mode as Test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtdwpZxmGYs

Thank you! I'm trying to fix my severely hosed up sleep schedule by just not sleeping and this tided me over until the stores were back open again so I can restock and subsist on energy drinks for the rest of my life.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://twitter.com/WWEgames/status/1179758001294643201

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

it took them 1000 hours to find clips that weren't janky, lol

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why do the games max out at looking like they are all early ps3 assets

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

at least seeing some of the superstars in there that i wasnt expecting was exciting, Ciampa, King and Xpac are nice

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the iOS version is shaping up nicely

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John McCain's ghost as the referee.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

coconono posted:

the iOS version is shaping up nicely

Honestly graphically the game hit its peak 2 years ago i want to assume its an engine limitation at this point and we wont see change till next gen consoles

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Just fuckin make a modern roster No Mercy port cowards

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Brokenogre posted:

Honestly graphically the game hit its peak 2 years ago i want to assume its an engine limitation at this point and we wont see change till next gen consoles

people have been saying this for 20 years now.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Every 3 or 4 years they'll make real graphical improvements while also loving up half the game. It owns

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono posted:

people have been saying this for 20 years now.

I absolutely remember the exact same argument, word for word, during the PS3 era

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As technology has improved the dev time hasn't changed (and the budget probably hasn't either, or gone down). They literally cannot fix the old problems and the new at the same time because there's no time, especially in years when they have to make a new engine and that's why you get the barebones as gently caress versions at the start of almost every console generation.

They really have to just go to an every-other-year release schedule, do a DLC pack for a roster/arena update for the off years.

EDIT: this of course assumes they actually want to make a good game instead of just something people will buy regardless.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cavauro posted:

why do the games max out at looking like they are all early ps3 assets

Time. And resources.
People are probably putting in crunch time to launch this stuff out the door every drat year.
And I doubt this has half of Madden's manpower. And budget.
Also Madden doesn't have to animate 720s and sunslip flip powerbombs.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Isn't this the last Yukes developed game anyway? Is 2k just going to keep the code and assets and keep this bloated corpse shambling along?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

Isn't this the last Yukes developed game anyway? Is 2k just going to keep the code and assets and keep this bloated corpse shambling along?

Short of traveling back in time and saving the AKI team after Def Jam: Fight for NY, yes.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I thought 2k20 was partially developed by the new team?

Also
After last week's show, Dacula is the number one contender to the World Ultraweight championship and a training robot attained sentience. I'm sure both of these things will work out fine. As for this week, Sherman Cooper makes his return after almost two months against Molly Malefic in the main event, and Otome Lin also makes her return(after being possessed by a mysterious, trans-dimensional entity) against Pat Rosscup, who's wrestling her first match after ditching her brother/tag partner. Speaking of singles debuts, Keith and Lance Washington have their first solo matches after their recent break up against Reighleigh Wilson and Saturno. I'm not sure which one is fighting which because I honestly can't tell them apart. There's all this and more, so come and see!

https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Angry_Ed posted:

As technology has improved the dev time hasn't changed (and the budget probably hasn't either, or gone down). They literally cannot fix the old problems and the new at the same time because there's no time, especially in years when they have to make a new engine and that's why you get the barebones as gently caress versions at the start of almost every console generation.

They really have to just go to an every-other-year release schedule, do a DLC pack for a roster/arena update for the off years.

EDIT: this of course assumes they actually want to make a good game instead of just something people will buy regardless.

Haven't they not made a new engine since 2003? What they've got together is like this weird Ship of Theseus cobbled together from 16 years of adjustment to the HCTP engine.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Haven't they not made a new engine since 2003? What they've got together is like this weird Ship of Theseus cobbled together from 16 years of adjustment to the HCTP engine.

I remember still being able to see move animations from the first two Smackdown games up until the mid 2000s, and moves from HCTP up until like 2011 or so

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Aesop Poprock posted:

I remember still being able to see move animations from the first two Smackdown games up until the mid 2000s, and moves from HCTP up until like 2011 or so

The game still can't pause idle animations after dialog or story beats so you get the all the blinks and wiggly fingers and mouths moving while the rest of the scene is at a dead stop from the PS2 games.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's probably the case, yes, I was meaning more every time they have to "upgrade" it for next-gen and all the features mysteriously vanish for a year.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Osaka Street Cutter from Smackdown 1 is still in the game.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
My personal favourite weird finisher is in the THQ games that the double dragon screw was an S tier finisher alongside the Stunner.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

My personal favourite weird finisher is in the THQ games that the double dragon screw was an S tier finisher alongside the Stunner.

I mean, it fits the constant use of Tanahashi as a template for the default CAW moveset?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Lid posted:

Simmed a match where the finish was the Double Dragon Screw on top of the cheese head. Absolutely devastating looking.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The best moves that may or may not still be in the game are the It series like It Bites Head and It Thrusts Down. I don't know why they were all named like that in the HCTP/early SVR games and i never want to find out.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

projecthalaxy posted:

The best moves that may or may not still be in the game are the It series like It Bites Head and It Thrusts Down. I don't know why they were all named like that in the HCTP/early SVR games and i never want to find out.

losing Buffalo Bill from the dev team is why the series is trash now. probably just iffy Japanese to English translation

I liked SYM dropping when loving everyone on the indies was doing the shining wizard, and the game had literally almost 20 variations

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 4, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Just fuckin make a modern roster No Mercy port cowards
AKI haven't made a wrestling game in over a decade, I'd be pretty surprised if the brain trust behind those games (or the code that drove them) are still around.

Tato posted:

Yes, although Yukes will, and I quote, "continue providing support to 2K with regard to the game engine", so you won't be able to escape the all-consuming gravitational pull of PS1-era jank.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Fauxhawk Express posted:

losing Buffalo Bill from the dev team is why the series is trash now. probably just iffy Japanese to English translation

I liked SYM dropping when loving everyone on the indies was doing the shining wizard, and the game had literally almost 20 variations

Either that one or the next pretty much had the definitive old man Mutoh moveset. Not even King of Colosseum 2 catered to him as much as those two games did.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

remusclaw posted:

Either that one or the next pretty much had the definitive old man Mutoh moveset. Not even King of Colosseum 2 catered to him as much as those two games did.
I want to say both SYM and HCTP had his moveset. Back when SYM came out, I wasn't familiar with Mutoh so I ended up putting his fighting stance (remember when the games had different fighting stances for wrestlers?) a lot of his moves on one of my CAWs because I thought they looked really cool. Hell, I'm pretty sure put Mutoh tights on that CAW by complete coincidence because those games also had all the attires for famous Japanese guys.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

AKI haven't made a wrestling game in over a decade, I'd be pretty surprised if the brain trust behind those games (or the code that drove them) are still around.

Also the modding scene around AKI engine games is so robust now that people could (and have been) make a modern No Mercy port themselves.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I get the feeling that Yukes going wackier in an attempt to appeal to the newlegacy viewership crowd is a big part of what got them kicked off the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
what got them kicked off was probably saying the games suck and they're getting burned out making the same boring ones so they're gonna make a competitor to WWE's game in house too