Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Go chu Gary

Eat up Martha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Ok, actually opened up the bag to transfer into a jar for storage and it definitely seems coarser and flakier than I thought. Not too hot either, but pretty nice

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm always amazed that they sell 5 pound bags of the pepper powder at the Asian market. Is there a use for that much pepper for home cooks, or are those bags more for restaurants?

If you're making kimchi regularly at home you'll go through one of those bags in no time. In Korea they come in even larger sizes.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've got some Bulgarian feta which is too tangy and salty for straight snacking. What can I do with it?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Happiness Commando posted:

I've got some Bulgarian feta which is too tangy and salty for straight snacking. What can I do with it?

Bon appetit has a saag feta recipe that looks interesting if you can't come up with something better.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Veritek83 posted:

Ok, actually opened up the bag to transfer into a jar for storage and it definitely seems coarser and flakier than I thought. Not too hot either, but pretty nice

Put some in a heat-proof bowl, heat up some oil, pour it over the peppers and smell that delicious.

Not too hot or the pepper will burn. I usually throw a couple flakes in the oil as it's warming to check the temp.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

shakshuka! post in the current cook or die when you make it for internet points

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I bought a refrigerated blob of whole wheat pizza dough, in an airtight pack. How long is it good for in the refrigerator? I'm going to make a pizza with it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

PRADA SLUT posted:

I bought a refrigerated blob of whole wheat pizza dough, in an airtight pack. How long is it good for in the refrigerator? I'm going to make a pizza with it.

3-4 days from date of manufacture. Take it out and open the ball about an hour before you want to bake, maybe longer. Whole wheat dough is less extensible than white.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Shopska salad would be the traditional thing to make with it. It's awesome :)

This recipe looks okay: https://www.thespruceeats.com/bulgarian-salad-recipe-shopska-salata-1137345

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So are these tariffs going to hit Kerrygold? Because if so, time to fill up the freezer.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Nephzinho posted:

So are these tariffs going to hit Kerrygold? Because if so, time to fill up the freezer.
All EU butter and yoghurt is what I read, so yes. Also all EU Swiss cheese, Gruyère, Pecorino, Romano, Reggiano, Parmesan, Provolone, Stilton, and Edam and Gouda made in Germany, the UK, France, and Spain.

E: is there any decent way to freeze cheese :ohdear:? Or is vacuum sealer and fridge the best bet? Can I vacuum seal Stilton?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 3, 2019

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I feel obligated to give these guys a plug, since my distillery is literally right across the street from them:

https://www.vermontcreamery.com/products/cultured-butter/

If you're worried about getting quality butter due to tariffs, talk to your local grocery about picking up VT Creamery's cultured butter. They've got nationwide distribution now, and the stuff they put out is amazing. Also - their soft cheeses are loving amazing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Weltlich posted:

So I feel obligated to give these guys a plug, since my distillery is literally right across the street from them:

https://www.vermontcreamery.com/products/cultured-butter/

If you're worried about getting quality butter due to tariffs, talk to your local grocery about picking up VT Creamery's cultured butter. They've got nationwide distribution now, and the stuff they put out is amazing. Also - their soft cheeses are loving amazing.

Their cultured butter is amazing. I may use Kerrygold for cooking and baking, but the cultured butter is what hits the table with bread.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Banitsa

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Suggest for me some more good slop foods, things that are easy to batch cook and will freeze well in quart delitainers. So far I have:

Curries
Beef stew
Etouffee
Shakshuka

What else can I make

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Suggest for me some more good slop foods, things that are easy to batch cook and will freeze well in quart delitainers. So far I have:

Curries
Beef stew
Etouffee
Shakshuka

What else can I make

Chili

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Soup.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What exactly changes when you cure a meat? Like if I had a bunch of fresh jowl bacon and made guanciale out of it, what's going on with the flavor and when would I want one over the other?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Enzymes and salt (and maybe water?) have time to break down protein into new products which make the meat more savory and sweet

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

Curries
Beef stew
Etouffee
Shakshuka

What else can I make

beans

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Spaghetti sauce. Noodles take a few minutes to cook, and in that time you can defrost your sauce cube.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

Curries
Beef stew
Etouffee
Shakshuka

What else can I make

coddle / stovies

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

E: is there any decent way to freeze cheese :ohdear:? Or is vacuum sealer and fridge the best bet? Can I vacuum seal Stilton?

I used to freeze a lot of cheese in Asia. I'd wrap it tightly in plastic and stick it in a bag that I sucked the air out of. Works okay? I wouldn't do it in a place with regular access to cheese but it didn't gently caress it up much.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
On Saturday I'm going to be cooking steaks for my extended family. I usually do one or two steaks when I cook for myself or for a date but the plan is 10 steaks for dinner. What should I do to keep the first ones warm while I cook the last ones? Warm oven? (That may not work unless I decide not to do twice baked sweet potatoes)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

How are you cooking them in the first place?

If you don't yet have a SV dildo, this is a great excuse to get one. Cook em all and 90-120 seconds to sear.

Ambitious option: sear two at a time with a variety of spice rubs or sauces and slice them so everyone gets a bite of each kind, progreasionally, kind of like a churrascaria

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

captkirk posted:

On Saturday I'm going to be cooking steaks for my extended family. I usually do one or two steaks when I cook for myself or for a date but the plan is 10 steaks for dinner. What should I do to keep the first ones warm while I cook the last ones? Warm oven? (That may not work unless I decide not to do twice baked sweet potatoes)
I have the same problem of scaling steaks, and my solution has usually been to cook a whole roast. It's not quite the same crusty sear to meat ratio, but it's pretty damned good. If you have a big grill you could fit them all on that works. Holding them in a very low (125F?) oven while the others cook is okay. Or do a big roast (whole strip loin or ribeye roast or whole tenderloin-you can get them at Sams/Costsco, they take a little cleaning up and trimming) in the oven and carve off steak sized slices. That way you get juices and and gravy and sauce (Bordelaise was just made for beef omg and it is so easy) etc and the house smells like wonderful roasted beef dripping when your guests arrive.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

DasNeonLicht posted:

coddle / stovies

What

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

How are you cooking them in the first place?

If you don't yet have a SV dildo, this is a great excuse to get one. Cook em all and 90-120 seconds to sear.

Ambitious option: sear two at a time with a variety of spice rubs or sauces and slice them so everyone gets a bite of each kind, progreasionally, kind of like a churrascaria

I normally just salt and pepper, into a hot cast iron, 3 ish minutes aside, add butter and thyme and spoon it over the steaks for a bit.

This would be an awesome time to get an SV dildo if I the occasion for the dinner wasn't "I'm about to jump on a plane to start a new job across the country". The second idea also sounds awesome but I would only try it in my own kitchen. I spend too much time hunting for spices and equipment in my parent's kitchen already.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

this is not a recommended usage and will void your warranty btw

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

this is not a recommended usage and will void your warranty btw

Of the SV dildo or my colon?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPsnCIa5QPM

coddle's kind of the same idea but Irish and with sausages

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

captkirk posted:

Of the SV dildo or my colon?

How'd you get SquareTrade to warrant your colon?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
If you're cooking at your parents' place and they have a yard or garden, you could rent a really big grill. My next door neighbors do this a couple of times each year. The local rental places around here all seem to have them, ranging from super elaborate propane ones to a huge but simple charcoal-fired Big John.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

DasNeonLicht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPsnCIa5QPM

coddle's kind of the same idea but Irish and with sausages

Holy gently caress, this looks so bad. Lean ground beef, bigass chunks of potato, and mirepoix but with turnip instead of celery for some reason, boiled for two hours with what looks like less than a tablespoon of salt as the only seasoning.

And it's called "stovies", as it's notable that it's a meal cooked on the stove, versus the deep fryer to which Scots are generally accustomed.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

prayer group posted:

Holy gently caress, this looks so bad. Lean ground beef, bigass chunks of potato, and mirepoix but with turnip instead of celery for some reason, boiled for two hours with what looks like less than a tablespoon of salt as the only seasoning.

And it's called "stovies", as it's notable that it's a meal cooked on the stove, versus the deep fryer to which Scots are generally accustomed.

yeah this made me feel bad for the woman in the video talking about how delicious it is. not even some herbs to break up the brown. looked like literal poo poo on the plate. I'd like to know what she considers a bad meal.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

fart store posted:

I'd like to know what she considers a bad meal.

what do you mean, no meat?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Let’s all mock poor Scottish people for cooking something hearty and warming, lol who doesn’t have time after slaving away on the moors all day to brown their meat and use paprika?

Not to say the recipe couldn’t be improved, but when you’ve been outdoors in loving Scotland all day, you care more that your food is hot and filling than anything else. I’ve had stovies just like that quite a few times, and I’ve enjoyed them every time because I’ve been knackered and frozen and they’ve filled/warmed me up.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Scientastic posted:

Let’s all mock poor Scottish people for cooking something hearty and warming, lol who doesn’t have time after slaving away on the moors all day to brown their meat and use paprika?

Not to say the recipe couldn’t be improved, but when you’ve been outdoors in loving Scotland all day, you care more that your food is hot and filling than anything else. I’ve had stovies just like that quite a few times, and I’ve enjoyed them every time because I’ve been knackered and frozen and they’ve filled/warmed me up.

Let's see... a one-pot dish that lets the flavor of the ingredients shine through without a lot of spice or fuss? Yes please. I like my curries and herbs as well as the next person, but this looks amazing.

Would move to Scotland in a heartbeat if I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Scientastic posted:

wasn't mocking the scot, my ending question was in earnest. And i understand that the recipe is probably traditional and familiar to a lot of people but imo it still looks very bland and unappealing.