Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Irritated Goat posted:

Users can reopen\create new tickets by replying to an email so I delete at least one "Thanks!" ticket a day. :sigh:

Speaking of that, gently caress TrackIT for not following its own configuration when I've told it to ignore "Automatic Reply:" emails.

I gotta admit, TrackIT is probably one of the least-worst ticketing systems I’ve used/admined. Basic interface, queues for teams, get in, close the ticket, get out. Then again we were only using the ticket functionality and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

incoherent posted:

MAHHHMAAAAA I JUST rm -rf A MANNNNNNN

drat.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

devmd01 posted:

I gotta admit, TrackIT is probably one of the least-worst ticketing systems I’ve used/admined. Basic interface, queues for teams, get in, close the ticket, get out. Then again we were only using the ticket functionality and nothing else.

We use it strictly for ticketing via email\manual entry but the configuration pages are a mess. I have to go into like 2 to 3 different spots to make sure one of our teams doesn't see a member of another team cause they whine a lot. It allows for multiple users of the same name with no way to merge to boot :(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

devmd01 posted:

BMC? We purchased it when it was owned by Numera. They have abandoned our platform and are switching to an all web one (good), but have been moving features over at a snails pace, so we still can't upgrade after multiple years.

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/trackit2019/en/track-it-11-x-vs-track-it-20xx-852580873.html

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, this was a while ago so I think it was version 7.5. So far in my career I’ve used that, spice works (lol), ServiceNow, and one other godawful mess that I can’t recall the name of. Not a huge fan of servicenow either, all I use it for is timesheets, ticketing, and change control thankfully.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Bob Morales posted:

rm -rf'd a server on accident today

More later

all the other kids with the pumped up kicks better run better run outrun my rm -rf

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

servicenow should be some kind of infrastructure acid test. It makes every system involved, from the client browser to the back end database, chug hard trying to process anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wanted to share this gem:

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Bob Morales posted:

Finally, a reason to use my minidisc player!

bred
Oct 24, 2008
No one, accept the IS programmer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Heh what list of school rules from the 90s did you copy that from

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

Bob Morales posted:

Goddrat this is a perfect illustration of one of my favorite quotes about business.

From Rework by Jason Fried:

quote:

Many policies are organizational scar tissue — codified overreactions to situations that are unlikely to happen again.

The second something goes wrong, the natural tendency is to create a policy. “Someone’s wearing shorts!? We need a dress code!” No, you don’t. You just need to tell John not to wear shorts again.

Policies are organizational scar tissue. They are codified overreactions to situations that are unlikely to happen again. They are collective punishment for the misdeeds of an individual.

This is how bureaucracies are born. No one sets out to create a bureaucracy. They sneak up on companies slowly. They are created one policy — one scar — at a time.

So don’t scar on the first cut. Don’t create a policy because one person did something wrong once. Policies are only meant for situations that come up over and over again.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Need a printer recommendation... Maybe someone here has one!

We need a new printer for printing customer statements. It is a large job that happens once a month. We go through about 9-11 reams of paper for each run. Most important aspect of a new printer is duplexing speed. Every page is printed duplex.

Current printer for this task is a HP 600 m602. It has about a million pages on the clock and is just wore the gently caress out. I am done throwing parts at it to keep it going.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like the perfect job to outsource to a third party that can also handle mailing the statements for you

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

rm -rf'd a server on accident today

More later

Otay here it goes.

Back when I first interviewed and got to see one of the server rooms, my first comments to my now-boss were:

So...you guys don't like patch panels or what? (200 wire bundle just jammed in the front of a cabinet)
Please don't tell me you use those 2.5" USB hard drives that are plugged into every server for backups...

Which was met with:

"We don't find them useful"
"We know our backups are a problem and that's something we want a more experienced person to give us advice on (meaning me)"

Fast forward to yesterday.

I was asked to create a backup program that used hashes (boss loves him some hashes), basically some Python scripts (server and client) to store files on the server in 4MB chunks blah blah. This works but it's not really the kind of program you'd want to run backups with nightly (it could be, but needs some more work), and I also got to write a client in Visual Basic 6!

Anyway, I was testing that stuff out on a server named DEVEL. We added some drives to it and at some point we were going to back up shop floor machines to it. We can run a Python script or VB app on those but we can't install backup agents etc because of the way they work and the machines they interact with. We basically want to back up the programs the machine operators load on for different parts etc becuase those things blow up all the time.

I was going to make some changes to my backup system that would invalidate my existing test data (like 60GB worth), so I ssh'd into the server at 8:00am before I had enough coffee, and thinking I was in /BackupProgram/Files/, I did an rm -rf *

I was in /

:D

Fuckballs. After few seconds I got errors and realized what I did so I hit CTRL-C-Assembly-CB-Creative
code:
rm: cannot remove `proc/248/task/248/ns/user': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot remove `proc/248/task/248/ns/mnt': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot remove `proc/248/task/248/net/arp': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot remove `proc/248/task/248/net/dev'^C: Operation not permitted
[bmorales@devel /]$ ls -l
-bash: /usr/bin/ls: /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
gently caress.

"Hey, I broke the gently caress out of devel. I'm going to restore from backup, alright?"

This server is really just a nagios/cacti box. Nobody uses it for devel. So it's about the least important server we have and it's not a big deal that's down or we can't get the data back, if that's what it ends up as.

So my boss and I hopped on a common area PC. He had a desktop guy run up to the server room with a Knoppix USB and insert it into the server. We started a session with the DRAC so we could remote in (I said let's just go to the server...). Here's where it got interesting.

It didn't boot it. No big deal, we can boot an ISO over the network using DRAC, so I told him to just download a CentOS ISO, because we're probably going to have to re-install anyway.

He starts downloading centos7-amd64-every-loving-thing.iso, like 8GB

Dude....just get the minimal CD. "Well I like to install from the full version, but okay"

The mirrors were all slow. 45 minutes....I said cancel that poo poo and just get the torrent.

"I've never had much luck with torrents." :haw:

Give me the drat keybaord. Installed utorrent, pulled the minimal image down in 3 minutes and we booted from there.

Weird. Can't see the USB devices. Like nothing shows up except a mouse, keyboard, and storage device (our ISO from the DRAC all virtual devices)

He types:

fdisk /dev/sda
fdisk /dev/sdb
fdisk /dev/sdc

Dude...just look at lsusb or dmesg | grep 'USB'

They aint't there.

"Let's try knoppix"

Knock yourself out man.

Same thing happens.

Nothing USB shows up. He starts trying to fdisk or mount poo poo that's not there. I rolled my eyes.

Now he starts talking about going down there, pulling the server drives out, putting them in another machine...I question why can't we just mount them from the live cd? Why the hell would we pull the drives?

So he starts tying to mount the drive. It's LVM and he's just mount - error mount - error

I said you're never going to mount it like that, it's LVM

"Well, not to say that I couldn't figure it out, but you'll have to do it because I'd have to look it up"

Fair enough. I mounted the volume group and saw it had some files, but no /etc and other poo poo that would be useful to us. gently caress it let's re-install.

I had a theory that maybe the DRAC was doing some goofy USB trickery that was blocking real USB devices from being shown. We booted into our fresh install of CentOS and still no USB devices.

I said are you sure that USB stick is in the right server? He runs to the server room and comes back reporting that it was plugged in, and so was the USB hard drive that the backups would be on.

After about 15 more mintues of reboots and futzing around, I said "Are you sure, that that stuff is plugged in the right server?"

I walk up to the server room to check it out myself. I start a terminal session on the PC that's in there, and walk over to the server and plug a USB mouse in. I can see dmesg showing the device being recognized...Nothing else is plugged into the USB ports on the rear of the server (Dell R740)

I walk around to the front of the server rack. The brother label on the front of server says DEVELV4. Nothing is plugged into the front USB ports either. Weird.

I notice at the bottom of the same rack there's an old Dell 710 with a DEVEL sticker on it.

Flashback: When I first started this job about a year ago, one of my first tasks was migrating Nagios from the 710 to the new 740. I installed Cacti on it afterwards. The 710 was going to be some backup server for something. However, it was disconnected from the network but never powered off.

Someone had also been swapping the backup drive on it THE WHOLE PAST YEAR. This also means nobody had every checked the backup logs, data on the USB hard drive, nobody ever connected a backup drive to the R740....Our 'backup program' is just a script that runs tar btw. It doesn't even check to see if the drive is an actual device and not just a mount (in which case if happily backs itself up, to itself, filling the HD and crashing the server. I had a deskotp guy fix that on at least one server and told him he should probably do that for all of them)

Worst of all, this meant we had no backup. I did still have a copy of the config files for Nagios from last year, plus we could still remote into the old server if we really needed to. It wasn't a huge deal to get it going again (I had Nagios running that afternoon) but a bunch of hosts/checks that have been modified/removed/added in the last year needed to be taken care of.

So basically, I tried to explain to my boss 3 things I have been repeating since I got here:

Quit naming servers the same loving names
Quit leaving poo poo we don't use running and in the racks
We need real backups. Veaam? Hello!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't know how you can stand reinventing the wheel so much while you work in an IT role.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also, my argument for why we should be using virtualization:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Sounds like the perfect job to outsource to a third party that can also handle mailing the statements for you

Yeah thats not going to happen.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Since you aren't using it, can I have that hardware? :v:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

Yeah thats not going to happen.

Convert to eStatements?

Like, I hate to harp, but you really should get a quote for outsourcing it. Bulk postage and printing is way cheaper, you may save both money and trouble.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Convert to eStatements?

We have already converted a few hundred customers to emailed statements. But some just don't want to. Hell we still have to FAX a handful of them! Our industry is full of a lot of old timers still. We also have a lot of local government agencies as customers, those nearly universally only accept paper.

If it means the customer is going to pay their bill in full and on time, we are going to give them their statement/invoices in whatever format they prefer.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I hate the IEC power connector.... It can appear to be plugged in...but not actually plugged in! I feel like I get several calls a month about them working loose, generally from monitors since the cords are usually vertical on those. Had 2 today.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stevewm posted:

Need a printer recommendation... Maybe someone here has one!

We need a new printer for printing customer statements. It is a large job that happens once a month. We go through about 9-11 reams of paper for each run. Most important aspect of a new printer is duplexing speed. Every page is printed duplex.

Current printer for this task is a HP 600 m602. It has about a million pages on the clock and is just wore the gently caress out. I am done throwing parts at it to keep it going.

I worked at a place that would print statements, then scan them back in to save so they could prove they printed them....

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The most recent manager-speak buzzword that pisses me off: "double-click" as a synonym for reviewing finer details on something. Manager shows a slide with three main topics. "What's First Topic all about? Well, let's double-click on that..."

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I worked at a place that would print statements, then scan them back in to save so they could prove they printed them....

WTF? Why did they need to prove that they printed them?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

stevewm posted:

WTF? Why did they need to prove that they printed them?

paper mafia

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

I hate the IEC power connector.... It can appear to be plugged in...but not actually plugged in! I feel like I get several calls a month about them working loose, generally from monitors since the cords are usually vertical on those. Had 2 today.

PYF power connector

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Actuarial Fables posted:

:confused:

Windows Hello is biometrics/facial recognition/alternate authentication, not voice activation.

Are you thinking of Cortana?

I had it described to me like it was a full-on suite enhancement, with the facial recognition stuff, for Cortana. If it's really just improved code for unlocking with facial recognition and relocking with proximity, and it doesn't involve the insipid pretend computer personality stuff, I guess that's not as gross as I thought.

I'm not a person that tapes over cameras or blocks them up, but I am not going to indulge in facial recognition tech. Fingerprint biometrics on my phone are as far as I'll go in that direction.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Windows Hello for Business is a lot of technologies, with the end goal of removing passwords entirely. It's good and it's a really interesting journey to follow MS on.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

PYF power connector

All monitors should be equipped with this.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Someone had some bsod problems a while ago and a helpful goon posted some tools/process, but I'm phone posting and can't find the deets. Can someone else dig them up? I've already confirmed it's been three times this month via Reliability Report, and have gotten BlueScreenView going to dig into dumps bit I swear there was another thing they had them do to narrow down what was causing it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Windows Hello for Business is a lot of technologies, with the end goal of removing passwords entirely. It's good and it's a really interesting journey to follow MS on.

I’m in the process of rolling out an internal pilot program for HfB Hybrid. The number of moving parts in the thing is pretty impressive, but the final user experience when it is all done should be pretty compelling.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PancakeTransmission posted:

Re:re:re: resolution of issue X
>>>Good work, appreciate your efforts

Yes I love seeing one email being replied to for each person up the chain to the CIO.

Is there an outlook rule that can let you hide them?

Subject contains "re:re:", body contains "thanks", from boss/boss's boss/his boss?

Just press the 'Ignore' button on the ribbon and Outlook will automatically delete all further replies in the thread as they come in. I discovered it a few weeks ago and it's amazing.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

less than three posted:

Just press the 'Ignore' button on the ribbon and Outlook will automatically delete all further replies in the thread as they come in. I discovered it a few weeks ago and it's amazing.

Oh my god I can't wait to try this

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We have a secure file transfer program at work, it is mainly used to push/pull automated file transfers. It is ancient hardware, according to Dell, the hardware was purchased in June, 2009. Went out of warranty in 2012. Recently, there have been 2 major projects coming down the pipeline that will require this server. I've been trying to get it replaced for years, and figured now is my chance. First plan was to just replace the hardware appliances with new ones, vendor says they aren't doing that anymore. Cool I thought, its time to get them virtualized. This company has a cloud service, but I'm told that isn't acceptable as Infosec said no. Ok, how about we put them in our Azure environment, stick a firewall on the outside and again them out of our network. Infosec said no, since they aren't ready to deploy a firewall there.
Ok, well, how about we get a server, and put some virtual servers on it. Hell, I'll even put each VM on its own network port. Also told no, since security says we can't have hosts that have VMs that span certain DMZs. Even though both would be behind their firewall, and the communication between the inside and edge is limited to specific ports.
The solution? One server for each piece. So 4 brand new servers in TYOOL 2019.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Lol you have security analysts not security engineers. Fire them into the sun.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

slartibartfast posted:

Goddrat this is a perfect illustration of one of my favorite quotes about business.

From Rework by Jason Fried:

My industry is mandated by federal law to have a minimum of policies in place that run a minimum of 600 pages.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Someone had some bsod problems a while ago and a helpful goon posted some tools/process, but I'm phone posting and can't find the deets. Can someone else dig them up? I've already confirmed it's been three times this month via Reliability Report, and have gotten BlueScreenView going to dig into dumps bit I swear there was another thing they had them do to narrow down what was causing it.

That was me, search for my posts ITT and you'll find the helpful advice I got.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

BlueScreenView is a big one... It will generally show the actual module that the BSOD occurred in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone here work at the FOX network?

I propose a "Kitchen Nightmares-esque" show, where I go to a struggling small business and inspect their IT departments in a Gordon Ramsey style

gently caress OFF OUT OF MY SERVER ROOM

The backups haven't run in a week, are you taking a piss?

THIS SERVER IS RAWWW