Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why even bother with this? It's not like people are going to flip their stance at this point. Seems like a waste of money

Keeping chuds energized, they can get demoralized just like anyone else

And you know a lot of them hate watch CNN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why even bother with this? It's not like people are going to flip their stance at this point. Seems like a waste of money

If you saturate the airwaves with enough garbage, it sneaks into people's brains and starts turning into what they think the truth is.

And in 6 months, you start hearing people ask over and over again, "Hey, I'm not into politics, but didn't Biden, like, get rich from shady stuff in the Ukraine?!?"

This is pretty much how every Hillary Clinton scandal worked out. Most "mainstream" people never knew the actual details but somehow incorporated all the smears and built upon them in their own heads.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Pellisworth posted:

In March 2018 they publish the dirt in Secret Empires but it doesn't get any mainstream attention. The book is about a bunch of other people in addition to the Bidens and it's too early in the campaign cycle.

That was probably the plan working better than expected. If it gets attention early then OK, but the best-case scenario is that it blows up after Biden is nominated. Trump stepped on that land mine early.

Based on polling it may be impacting Biden, but it looks like we may get Warren as the nominee instead. Biden polled best against Trump which is why he got all the attention, but I think that, like last election, it comes down to voter enthusiasm, which Bernie and Warren have more of. So I think this whole thing is going to backfire on them even if impeachment goes nowhere.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, these sorts of things only work when everyone involved is aware that it's all an act that has to follow a script.

Isn't the FEC currently dormant thanks to a lack of board members?

An element of most FEC violation crimes is willfulness - Trump has to be aware that what he's doing is a crime.

Getting him to interact with a tweet from an FEC commissioner is one of the few convincing ways to show that he knew it was wrong

As far as I know there's not a Reasonable President standard where you point out that he has the resources that should be telling him that it's a crime. Being a big stupid baby is actually a defense.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

The two things that strike me about this whole situation are:

1. Our system is absolutely NOT designed to handle someone like trump in a position of power. The cracks are showing.
2. Those of us who are used to the system working for us are getting a taste of what it would be like to be someone who the system is openly hostile towards, i.e. somone of color, LGBTQ+, poor, etc

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Boris Galerkin posted:

Okay so I get that seeing pictures of a cop-murderer crying at her sentencing is good schadenfreude. As is seeing two nazis face beaten in. And celebrating the fact that a republican is dead sure.

But come the gently caress on man, celebrating the fact that someone is being a normal person and looking devastated at the loss of her dad? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

it's funny

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

perry is a corrupt moron but he strikes me as the type who preferes "low level" graft type poo poo instead of you know, out and out treason.

the house GOP are morons. not surprised.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Jesus loving Christ. I told my therapist yesterday that I'd stop looking at all this impeachment poo poo because it looked like things were starting to gain structure and the most insane news ever wouldn't be posted hourly. Then I woke up to Trump DOING IT AGAIN ON TV! AND WITH CHINA! Like, how do I not stay alert for every news article that comes out at this point?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Farking Bastage posted:

I tell myself he died in 2008 when he started exhibiting strange behavior to cope. The economic shitstorm turned him into a different person leading up to all of this. If there was a red flag law in 2017, I would have invoked it on him. He never at any time have that revolver out of arms reach and would indiscriminately shoot at random stuff. I'll go ahead and say it. A red flag law would have saved my mother's life.

Do you mean if you had the ability to call someone and report him? Did your Dad have any mental health problems? I would love to see a red flag law happen. There are so many people that have guns that really shouldn't. I was in group therapy with a guy that had lots of guns and he definitely shouldn't. I keep wondering if I am going to hear about him on the news.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Let's Just Do The Crimes is a bold tactic I guess.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

ManBoyChef posted:

Do you mean if you had the ability to call someone and report him? Did your Dad have any mental health problems? I would love to see a red flag law happen. There are so many people that have guns that really shouldn't. I was in group therapy with a guy that had lots of guns and he definitely shouldn't. I keep wondering if I am going to hear about him on the news.

Pretty much. He had no business with guns in that state of mind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had no idea that gag was a reference to a real deposition, holy poo poo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Boris Galerkin posted:

Okay so I get that seeing pictures of a cop-murderer crying at her sentencing is good schadenfreude. As is seeing two nazis face beaten in. And celebrating the fact that a republican is dead sure.

But come the gently caress on man, celebrating the fact that someone is being a normal person and looking devastated at the loss of her dad? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Lol go gently caress yourself. Her father was a ghoul who gleefully helped gently caress other countless people and she supports him so pathetically she can't even have a conversation without invoking his memory.

Any pain she is in is loving hilarious

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lol go gently caress yourself. Her father was a ghoul who gleefully helped gently caress other countless people and she supports him so pathetically she can't even have a conversation without invoking his memory.

McCain also crashed a few planes. He really wasn't that great of a pilot. reall hotshot they said.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

ManBoyChef posted:

McCain also crashed a few planes. He really wasn't that great of a pilot. reall hotshot they said.

John McCain burned down the U.S.S. Forrestal for kicks. Pass it on.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Let's Just Do The Crimes is a bold tactic I guess.
Fast Crimes At Ridgemont High

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RonWyden/status/1179790277894135808

That about sums it up. Good Dem messaging here.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1179789836317798403

oh my god they don't even have a spin for this

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

John McCain was responsible for the theft of hundreds of thousands of homes through his involvement with the Keating Five which he covered up. His immorality is of legend and his family continues to this day spreading misery and pain so yes, I am glad they are experiencing the universal truth that death comes for us all. I am glad Megan is in pain for aligning herself with feckless fascism. She is a racist, nazi, piece of poo poo and deserves it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Like, how do I not stay alert for every news article that comes out at this point?

I put my phone in my backpack, so it's out of sight and out of mind. Often I'll put it on do not disturb as well. In the past when that hasn't worked, I've made use of the feature in Android (and probably iOS) where you can put strict daily time limits on certain apps. That kept me from spending all day on SA.

More fundamentally, it's important to accept that you don't have a duty to stay informed at the cost of your mental health, and it's fine to tune out for a while if you want to or need to do so. If something that warrants immediate action on your behalf happens, you'll very likely hear about it through offline channels anyways.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

Why would they? Do you think Trump told anybody he was going to go out there and go "YEAH I DID THE CRIMES ALSO CHINA DO SOME MORE CRIMES FOR ME"?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

eke out posted:

They did, Trump keeps loving it up by constantly doing crimes.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

eke out posted:

What you think they plan out Trump saying crazy poo poo? This isn't the Bush admin with Rove and Cheney planning out everything meticulously and feeding it to Bush, this is crazy grandpa going in front of a crowd of reporters and everyone else frantically trying to figure out what the gently caress he just said

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/837509250779918340

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

What you think they plan out Trump saying crazy poo poo? This isn't the Bush admin with Rove and Cheney planning out everything meticulously and feeding it to Bush, this is crazy grandpa going in front of a crowd of reporters and everyone else frantically trying to figure out what the gently caress he just said

Angry_Ed posted:

Why would they? Do you think Trump told anybody he was going to go out there and go "YEAH I DID THE CRIMES ALSO CHINA DO SOME MORE CRIMES FOR ME"?

i actually do think they plan out how to respond to trump saying crazy poo poo or admitting crimes lol it's not like this is their first rodeo

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

eke out posted:

I know this may be super optimistic, but I'm starting to think this may be the thing that breaks the Republicans in the Senate. They've spent so much time making China the enemy, and for Trump to do this, ON TV, is going to be an even bigger deal then Ukraine.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ManBoyChef posted:

OK so

John McCain did a super noble thing during wartime by not going home based on his name alone

BUT then he did terrible things in the Senate again and again, including corrupt dealings, not just bad Republican opinions

BUT every once in a while he voted the right way, such as his thumbs down on repealing Obamacare

BUT that doesn't, on balance, redeem all the terrible things he did, he still did way more bad than good, and he leaves behind a poor legacy with a handful of bright spots (also, y'know, Sarah Palin)

Meghan McCain DID NOT deserve to be mocked when her father died, even monsters have families and she related to him as a father, not a Senator

BUT since his death she has shamelessly used his legacy to her own gain, barely defining herself as her own person rather than her father's daughter

AND she has continued to use that legacy to spout opinions that are terrible, and appears to be to the right even of her lovely dad

SO it's definitely funny to make fun of her now, especially so far from the event

There, now we don't have to have the long back and forth about McCain

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

This tweet except he did it on TV

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1067431464524869633?s=19

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do wish I could see the turtle's face every time some poor intern has to rush in and let him know Trump just did another Zaphod Beeblebrox

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Trump is criming too fast for his crime spinners to keep up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Considering how eagerly Pompeo has gone in on everything for Trump so far, makes me wonder what he asked tillerson to do he said no to.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some interesting polling:

https://twitter.com/cameron_easley/status/1179738267350163458

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1179791404417064960

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I just wish he was doing this stuff off camera so it wouldn't happen.

Gonna stop you right there and just bluntly say that it isnt your place to opine on how a minority making their own decisions is screwing things up for all the other minorities.

Seriously, you seem to be upset that this grieving man isn't considering how racists will willfully misinterpret his actions when he makes his own decisions on how to handle his grief.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 3, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hi, can somebody give me a tldr on the Trump / Ukraine / Biden / Hunter Biden thing?

Like how is Hunter Biden corrupt / what did he do? I know he’s creepy and weird but I’m not sure what he explicitly did that was corrupt or illegal.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

theflyingorc posted:

OK so

John McCain did a super noble thing during wartime by not going home based on his name alone

BUT then he did terrible things in the Senate again and again, including corrupt dealings, not just bad Republican opinions

BUT every once in a while he voted the right way, such as his thumbs down on repealing Obamacare

BUT that doesn't, on balance, redeem all the terrible things he did, he still did way more bad than good, and he leaves behind a poor legacy with a handful of bright spots (also, y'know, Sarah Palin)

Meghan McCain DID NOT deserve to be mocked when her father died, even monsters have families and she related to him as a father, not a Senator

BUT since his death she has shamelessly used his legacy to her own gain, barely defining herself as her own person rather than her father's daughter

AND she has continued to use that legacy to spout opinions that are terrible, and appears to be to the right even of her lovely dad

SO it's definitely funny to make fun of her now, especially so far from the event

There, now we don't have to have the long back and forth about McCain

gently caress the families too unless they outright disavow their monstrous patriarchs

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/RonWyden/status/1179790277894135808

That about sums it up. Good Dem messaging here.

A perfect no pressure call.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Hi, can somebody give me a tldr on the Trump / Ukraine / Biden / Hunter Biden thing?

Like how is Hunter Biden corrupt / what did he do? I know he’s creepy and weird but I’m not sure what he explicitly did that was corrupt or illegal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/opinion/trump-ukraine-republican.html

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I know this may be super optimistic, but I'm starting to think this may be the thing that breaks the Republicans in the Senate. They've spent so much time making China the enemy, and for Trump to do this, ON TV, is going to be an even bigger deal then Ukraine.

Alternatively they just find a new country to cast as the enemy. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Also, unrelated, but if there is any method to Trump's madness, it's that he wants just one country to take this deal. If he can get just one other country on board then he can use it as proof that what he's doing is right. Which is probably why he's hammering that "nah what I'm doing is cool and good LISTEN TO MY PERFECT PHONE CALLS"

someday someone is going to remake the Monty Python "Spam" sketch only it'll be Crimes instead of Spam and Trump's cabinet/other GOP toadies instead of Vikings.

Justin Amash will be the one person who doesn't like spam crimes.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Nothing he did is illegal.

The fact that he got the position at all is probably related to who his dad is, which is scummy, but not illegal.

Here's the order of events for why what Trump believes, that Biden fired a prosecutor for investigating his son, are very stupid.

A prosecutor opens up an investigation into Burisma holdings.
Hunter Biden joins the board of Burisma holdings.
Some time later, the prosecutor drops the case against Burisma.
A year after that, Joe Biden, under direction of the president and with cooperation from multiple countries, pressures Ukraine to fire the prosecutor, because he's not tackling corruption worth a drat. He is fired.

If you can explain how the firing was in response to NOT investigating Hunter Biden and that's corruption, I'd love to hear it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

He got a fancy job most likely because he was related to a politician. It is crappy but not illegal and it's corruption level is Standard Rich People Cronyism which sucks but is noise in the political spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

So Hunter got a do-nothing board job at a company under investigation, presumably to try to influence his dad somehow to protect them.

That turned out to be a total waste of money since no one was going to investigate it anyway.

Later Joe Biden was one of like 50 million people saying that the chief prosecutor who was not investigating anything ought to be fired, along, with, well, everyone who was paying attention and wasn't invested in crimes, crimes, crimes.