Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Good Times was the saddest sitcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Sitcoms, like most other genres, kinda have the majority pulled along begrudgingly into new ideas by the few that actually do try to do new things. In the nineties you saw sitcoms move from being mostly families to being mostly single people with a common setting, probably spurred on originally by Cheers and then Seinfeld. In the 00s it seemed like the 'standard' shifted from three-camera to single-camera, which was probably thanks to Scrubs and The Office.

You still have three-camera and family-focused sitcoms of course, but they stopped being the majority after a show or two succeeded so hard at something else that the half-assers started seeing them as the thing to emulate instead of the old norm.

So I guess if you still see 'sitcom' as the three-camera, family-focused form, it hasn't existed in its original form in any appreciable way since, like, Everybody Loves Raymond went off the air or something.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Oct 2, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The evolution of sitcoms gave us the "a special Home Improvement followed by the Diet Mug Root Beer Dana Carvey Show" moment

https://youtu.be/NfDjnAdczQI

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

Good Times was the saddest sitcom.

My Mother The Car

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

luxury handset posted:

My Mother The Car

James L. Brooks worked on that show before becoming a super-huge success, but a lot of people didn't know that and would crack MMTC jokes in front of him and he'd get quietly steamed about it

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Sitcoms, like most other genres, kinda have the majority pulled along begrudgingly into new ideas by the few that actually do try to do new things. In the nineties you saw sitcoms move from being mostly families to being mostly single people with a common setting, probably spurred on originally by Cheers and then Seinfeld. In the 00s it seemed like the 'standard' shifted from three-camera to single-camera, which was probably thanks to Scrubs and The Office.

You still have three-camera and family-focused sitcoms of course, but they stopped being the majority after a show or two succeeded so hard at something else that the half-assers started seeing them as the thing to emulate instead of the old norm.

So I guess if you still see 'sitcom' as the three-camera, family-focused form, it hasn't existed in its original form in any appreciable way since, like, Everybody Loves Raymond went off the air or something.

I think a lot of it was social shifts as well; in the 80's things started shifting more heavily into a society that focused on consumerism, careers, and money instead of focusing on family and social ties. Workforce participation peaked in the 90's while the birth rate hit its all time low at that point. More people related to having a lovely job and no children. I mean in the 50's people also didn't move around nearly as much; by the 90's way more people were going to college, sometimes out of state, and then heading to wherever the job that hired them was. Shows shifted to respond to that.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

What was that sitcom that did an actual unironic clip show fairly recently?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything you sometimes get sitcoms that end up changing enough that they become near unrecognisable from their original premise, like with The Big Bang Theory where they all ended up married and having kids, but often with the presentation and marketing not changing at all.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-AQNR93Nc4.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

New Girl is an alright show that falls into the common problem that the main character suuuuccckkksss but everyone else is pretty great.

And there's an episode where Jess gets a restraining order placed against her and she repeatedly and knowingly violates it and gets rewarded for it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Seinfeld had a poly relationship episode in 1997.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gaunab posted:

Seinfeld had a poly relationship episode in 1997.

George: But maybe the two of us, working together at full capacity, could do the job of one normal man.

Jerry: Then each of us would only have be like a half man. That sounds about right!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Scrubs had an episode where the show basically became a Standard Sitcom. Everyone's acting became broad as hell, a laugh track, everything working out for its happy ending, etc.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

What was that sitcom that did an actual unironic clip show fairly recently?

The Office is the most recent one I know of, not sure if there was a more recent one. It was so ridiculous because YouTube was already very much a thing at that point, as well as season sets released on DVD during the summer between seasons. A clip show makes no sense when it's trivial to binge the entire show on DVD or look up "Jim's best pranks" compilations on demand.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Samuringa posted:

And he's in his sixties or close to that too. Veganism works.

Well, vegetarianism at least. By his own admission, he will absolutely help himself dairy if left in the same room with cheese unsupervised.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sir Lemming posted:

The Office is the most recent one I know of, not sure if there was a more recent one. It was so ridiculous because YouTube was already very much a thing at that point, as well as season sets released on DVD during the summer between seasons. A clip show makes no sense when it's trivial to binge the entire show on DVD or look up "Jim's best pranks" compilations on demand.

Weren't clip episodes basically just filler for live-action shows?
Like a bye-week of sorts for the writers?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah clip shows were an excuse for the entire staff to take a week off. You still see them sometimes in Japanese animation since they work their animators to death.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
At some point during the middle of The Simpsons' golden era, the network apparently wanted them to make FOUR clip shows a year, which is insane to think about.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's also often for budget reasons. Which is why you might see a weird forced recap episode crop up right before the big explosive FX-heavy finale.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah clip shows were an excuse for the entire staff to take a week off. You still see them sometimes in Japanese animation since they work their animators to death.

Also they rarely show reruns there, so it's a good way to make sure everyone is on the same page.

(But yes, the way Japanese companies treat their employees is abhorrent and borderline slavery)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

londonarbuckle posted:

At some point during the middle of The Simpsons' golden era, the network apparently wanted them to make FOUR clip shows a year, which is insane to think about.

Wasn’t the second Simpsons clip show, where they all talk about falling in love, an original for syndication?

I remember Home Improvement did an original-for-syndication too, at around the same time. Tim blew something up with a tank. I guess shows moving into syndication was quite a big deal for a while.

EDIT: I guess not: original air date was September 25, 1994. It was rare in those days that I would miss Simpsons without setting the vcr.

I AM GRANDO has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Oct 3, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I guess shows moving into syndication was quite a big deal for a while.

It was sometimes more important than the first run episodes. I’m pretty sure there are multiple instances of a show that should have been canceled staying on life support just to get to 100 episodes.

I have no idea what it’s like now for mid-tier series. It’s still bananas for exclusive streaming rights for hit shows that have been off the air for 20 years.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There was the other Charlie Sheen show that nobody watched which had like a hundred episodes filmed up front.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

There was the other Charlie Sheen show that nobody watched which had like a hundred episodes filmed up front.

It was 10 filmed up front, and if picked up, the agreement was for 90.
It had good ratings on the first episode, got picked up, then everyone quickly forgot it existed.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

John Murdoch posted:

It's also often for budget reasons. Which is why you might see a weird forced recap episode crop up right before the big explosive FX-heavy finale.

Sometimes for industrial reasons too. The example that springs to mind is Star Trek TNG's second season finale, which was a clip show due to the WGA strike at the time.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
When the animated show The Legend of Korra was in production working on the fourth and final season, Nickelodeon informed the creators that they were cutting the budget for the season by an entire episode's worth. They could have just made 12 episodes instead of the planned 13, but they re-worked one of the episodes into a clip show with some recycled animation. They did this specifically so the could keep their entire crew working, rather than have to dismiss some crew weeks earlier than planned.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Clip shows are an unfortunate necessity of the production process, but without them we wouldn't have The Clipshow Wherein Dante and Randal are Locked in the Freezer and Remember Some of the Great Moments in Their Lives.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

MisterBibs posted:

Scrubs had an episode where the show basically became a Standard Sitcom. Everyone's acting became broad as hell, a laugh track, everything working out for its happy ending, etc.

Yeah, My Name is Earle did this too. IMO it is kind of scraping bottom of the barrel to do this with the implicite comedy being "Haha! Isn't our show so much better than these kinds of shows? We'd never be this lame... Except for now, but we're making a point!!!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Didn't that ep of Scrubs end with the sitcom stuff being a fantasy and reality taking over at the end with someone dying?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MariusLecter posted:

Didn't that ep of Scrubs end with the sitcom stuff being a fantasy and reality taking over at the end with someone dying?

Yep! You can tell kind of a pattern with the high-concept or stunt-y Scrubs episodes, they'll almost always end with the conceit being stripped away with someone's death. I remember an episode about a whole day being different because of a butterfly effect crashing down when, no matter what happened in the day, the central patient died. The only one I can think of that definitely avoided that was the musical episode.

That said, the weird stunt episodes were always Scrubs' best, even if the endings were a bit predictable. The second one with Brendan Fraser's character is the only bit of TV that I remember really getting an emotional response out of me as a kid.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I remember that one. It got me out of loving nowhere.

e: I think Dr Perry may age into being an even bigger rear end in a top hat, but that’s yet to be seen :v: Every time I try to rewatch the series, I get stuck around season 3 and abandon the attempt.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Cleretic posted:

Yep! You can tell kind of a pattern with the high-concept or stunt-y Scrubs episodes, they'll almost always end with the conceit being stripped away with someone's death. I remember an episode about a whole day being different because of a butterfly effect crashing down when, no matter what happened in the day, the central patient died. The only one I can think of that definitely avoided that was the musical episode.

That said, the weird stunt episodes were always Scrubs' best, even if the endings were a bit predictable. The second one with Brendan Fraser's character is the only bit of TV that I remember really getting an emotional response out of me as a kid.

Agreed, the Brendan Fraser one was harsh, really good episode. I always liked their stunt episodes best too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I liked the rabies episode. Oof.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

Cleretic posted:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A patients death, that happened fairly regularly on scrubs

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Pick posted:

I liked the rabies episode. Oof.

Legit the saddest piece of television of all time. "My Lunch", season 5 episode 20. It's the reason I cry every time I hear "How to Save a Life" by The Fray.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

A patients death, that happened fairly regularly on scrubs

And killing patience was a huge staple of the later seasons.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

King of Foolians posted:

When the animated show The Legend of Korra was in production working on the fourth and final season, Nickelodeon informed the creators that they were cutting the budget for the season by an entire episode's worth. They could have just made 12 episodes instead of the planned 13, but they re-worked one of the episodes into a clip show with some recycled animation. They did this specifically so the could keep their entire crew working, rather than have to dismiss some crew weeks earlier than planned.

I thought it worked out pretty well all things considered. Plus it provided a good opportunity for everyone to poo poo on the one guy for being a real douchebag to the women he'd been dating.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

DontMockMySmock posted:

Legit the saddest piece of television of all time. "My Lunch", season 5 episode 20. It's the reason I cry every time I hear "How to Save a Life" by The Fray.

I cry when I hear that song because I binged thirteen seasons of Grey's Anatomy a couple years ago for reasons and I can hear a small c-spamesque crack-ping every time it comes on

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TheKennedys posted:

I cry when I hear that song because I binged thirteen seasons of Grey's Anatomy a couple years ago for reasons and I can hear a small c-spamesque crack-ping every time it comes on

My fiancee watched through it twice in under a year. Seasons 1-12 and then 1-13.

How to Save a Life and Chasing Cars are now emotional triggers to remind her of how bad those doctors are.

Holy poo poo they're so bad and people die like all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Jeff and Annie romance in Community will not age well.