Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Everyone at the event has devolved into straight up harassing whol, including someone is playing the beginning of Tom Petty's Free Fallin at him, until he finally gave up and went inside. The crowd seemed pretty pleased with the performance.

Unfortunately, I have to report that this event may be a fraudulent attempt to make Warren look cool as hell

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1179833719902760960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wow someone actually polled Ohio for the first time since July

https://twitter.com/ppollingnumbers/status/1179790079675555840?s=21

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Any polls taken before these revelations about Warren are meaningless.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Gripweed posted:

Apparently Elizabeth Warren enjoys BDSM, rough sex, and threesomes with sexually adventurous busty women.

Not sure how the Warren campaign will be able to survive these damning allegations.

By issuing a correction that actually warren is extremely vanilla alongside her test result from the kinsey scale

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I would respect warren if her campaign released a tweet that was just “lol” in response to Wohl.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gripweed posted:

Apparently Elizabeth Warren enjoys BDSM, rough sex, and threesomes with sexually adventurous busty women.

Not sure how the Warren campaign will be able to survive these damning allegations.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1179837892778029057

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Obviously the allegation is phony, but is the phony allegation that she assualted this young man? Or is it simply that she had very cool sex with a rippling pile of muscles? Because the latter hardly sounds bad.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179823638306050053?s=19

I'm sold

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

overmind2000 posted:

Wow someone actually polled Ohio for the first time since July

https://twitter.com/ppollingnumbers/status/1179790079675555840?s=21

If you credit Buttigieg the MoE, he *might* be scraping double digits in the state neighboring his home state.

amazing how big money donors can forestall "when is he going to drop out?" questions.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

joepinetree posted:

What do you think of Stacey Abrams as VP? Buttgieg?

At least Stacey Abrams was the minority leader in Georgia (a position of major responsiblity) and won multiple elections at the local level and took it down to the wire in a gubenatorial race in a large Red state (where the victory was almost surely stolen from her). That's a far better resume, IMO.

I think Buttgieg creates similar problems to Turner.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hellblazer187 posted:

Obviously the allegation is phony, but is the phony allegation that she assualted this young man? Or is it simply that she had very cool sex with a rippling pile of muscles? Because the latter hardly sounds bad.

it's the latter

they're accusing warren of having hot (admittedly extramarital) sex with a hot dude well under half her age

which is a big part of why this is all hilarious

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it's the latter

they're accusing warren of having hot (admittedly extramarital) sex with a hot dude well under half her age

AND a busty 24yo woman. You know, for Phub search optimization.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Oh hey I didn't know periscope links worked after the fact. Imo it gets real good at around the 31 minute mark - https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BdGYeDDwOMGX

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it's the latter

they repeatedly denied that she hired him as a prostitute as well

and then blamed this on woman problems :biotruths:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Warren was horny, but she had a plan for that...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

I regret to inform the thread that Liz Warren is, in fact, a cougar

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1179851099978846209

check the date :lol:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

go cougars!

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
have sanders and warren ever had an adversarial relationship or is it purely an online thing from their supporters

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

check the date :lol:

helluva sub-tweet.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

cargo cult posted:

have sanders and warren ever had an adversarial relationship or is it purely an online thing from their supporters

option b

the heat's ticked up as the Hillary dead-enders who were all in on Harris have slowly shuffled to the next most reasonable compromise that averts the unthinkable

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

cargo cult posted:

It’s mostly supporters throwing elbows because they know only one can win.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

cargo cult posted:

Almost entirely the latter. There was a small bit of shade from Sirota like once implied toward Warren, I think. In general it's been a non aggression pact, which makes any time Bernie + Liz top 50% in a poll a good sign.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nina Turner hasn't even won a statewide election, unlike famously good national candidates Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Pander posted:

Almost entirely the latter. There was a small bit of shade from Sirota like once implied toward Warren, I think. In general it's been a non aggression pact, which makes any time Bernie + Liz top 50% in a poll a good sign.

Theoretically yes but I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that Warren can recover a lot of sanders voters and vice versa. Morning consult’s polling data shows the Sanders voters’ second choice is generally... Biden, which seems odd because ideologically you wouldn’t think that’s the case. The same thing holds true for Warren supporters.

Theoretically their combined support shows broad support for a leftist candidate but if the two camps thoroughly poison support among their opponents base then I don’t know how well they convert post primary. Which doesn’t mean that trump gets the votes in the general as much as you get a deactivated base and voters staying home. Everyone sort of tells themselves that trump is bad enough that people wouldn’t do that but you already see some sentiment bubbling up in this thread about how Warren is straight up unacceptable under any scenario.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

In 2008 Hillary ran a hosed up Southern Strategy that implied Obama was a stealth terrorist lying about his religion and did a bunch of racist rear end dogwhistling about how he wasn't a Real American and he still blew McCain away because it turns out that diehard Clinton fans aren't a significant number of voters.

Same with the Warren brainworms crew, they don't matter at all

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

predicto posted:

At least Stacey Abrams was the minority leader in Georgia (a position of major responsiblity) and won multiple elections at the local level and took it down to the wire in a gubenatorial race in a large Red state (where the victory was almost surely stolen from her). That's a far better resume, IMO.

I think Buttgieg creates similar problems to Turner.

I mean, one was in the state senate for 6 years, the other in the state house (lower chamber) for 10, so it seems like a really bizarre distinction to want to make. Especially the "won multiple elections" part since every single one of Abrams' elections to the lower house were also uncontested.

Of course, my question wasn't really about Abrams. It's about what we really mean by experience. Nina Turner is too inexperienced, but no one ever raised that issue with regards to Abrams, or to Buttgieg now, or a number of other people. Because the who "experience" canard only appears as an excuse.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

VitalSigns posted:

In 2008 Hillary ran a hosed up Southern Strategy that implied Obama was a stealth terrorist lying about his religion and did a bunch of racist rear end dogwhistling about how he wasn't a Real American and he still blew McCain away because it turns out that diehard Clinton fans aren't a significant number of voters.

The Bernie campaign is better without potential warrenist bad influencers seeking to centrist-road the campaign from within anyway

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Has Bernie come around on ending the filibuster yet?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Delthalaz posted:

Has Bernie come around on ending the filibuster yet?

He has a much more convoluted system for accomplishing the same thing (just say that things are legal under reconciliation and then have the VP overrule the parliamentarian when they call bullshit), that I personally feel like violates way more of the norms and rules than just straight up changing the rule

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Glumslinger posted:

He has much more convoluted system for accomplishing the same thing, that I personally feel like violates way more of the norms and rules than just changing the rule

The thing to keep in mind with his idea vs the filibuster is his plan is something his administration (specifically the VP) actually has influence over. Ending the filibuster, by contrast, is something that the Senate would have to do, and that his only influence would be through pressuring senators.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

King of Solomon posted:

The thing to keep in mind with his idea vs the filibuster is his plan is something his administration (specifically the VP) actually has influence over. Ending the filibuster, by contrast, is something that the Senate would have to do, and that his only influence would be through pressuring senators.

A majority of the Senate would still need to agree to bring up the bill under Reconciliation for the process to even begin, so I really don't see how its any better than just getting that majority of Senators to rewrite the rules on filibusters.
Looks like reconciliation is declared by the Budget subcomittees and not the entire chamber. Regardless, if the majority of the Senate wasn't willing to go along with removing the filibuster, I struggle to believe that those "decorum" obssessed jackasses would vote for something that uses this method to get around it.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 3, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Conversely, I don't think the Really Mad bernie or busters in this thread are a particularly representative group / big problem in the general.

And despite the polling about second choices I suspect that if Warren (or Bernie) drops out and endorses Bernie (or Warren), that'll swing an awful lot of their supporters. I would genuinely be surprised if they endorsed anybody else even though Tulsi is to the left of Warren, particularly on climate change, where the ashes of a billion Muslims would increase Earth's albedo

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

A majority of the Senate would still need to agree to bring up the bill under Reconciliation for the process to even begin, so I really don't see how its any better than just getting that majority of Senators to rewrite the rules on filibusters

Senators would actually have to vote against bringing up healthcare for people, instead of getting to go "well you know I voted for healthcare in cloture but blah blah blah tradition my hands are tied"

E: also a lot of them voted for Obamacare in reconciliation

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

The Glumslinger posted:

A majority of the Senate would still need to agree to bring up the bill under Reconciliation for the process to even begin, so I really don't see how its any better than just getting that majority of Senators to rewrite the rules on filibusters
You need 2/3 to change the rules so getting around the filibuster is always going to involve a certain amount of fuckery.
edit:

quote:

"Is it the sense of the Senate that the debate shall be brought to a close?" And if that question shall be decided in the affirmative by three-fifths of the Senators duly chosen and sworn -- except on a measure or motion to amend the Senate rules, in which case the necessary affirmative vote shall be two-thirds of the Senators present and voting -- then said measure, motion, or other matter pending before the Senate, or the unfinished business, shall be the unfinished business to the exclusion of all other business until disposed of.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

You need 2/3 to change the rules so getting around the filibuster is always going to involve a certain amount of fuckery.

Simple majority to change the Senate rules, that's in the Constitution

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

By the same logic, I don't see how it's worse either, though?

The filibuster thing is very obviously something people retroactively come up with when trying to find reasons to justify choosing Warren.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Conversely, I don't think the Really Mad bernie or busters in this thread are a particularly representative group / big problem in the general.

And despite the polling about second choices I suspect that if Warren (or Bernie) drops out and endorses Bernie (or Warren), that'll swing an awful lot of their supporters. I would genuinely be surprised if they endorsed anybody else even though Tulsi is to the left of Warren, particularly on climate change, where the ashes of a billion Muslims would increase Earth's albedo

It only takes a small percent of voters to make a difference, and there's a non-trivial number of Sanders supporters who basically drew a line in the sand this time around after 2016 (while the anti-Sanders types have likely stayed relatively constant). It only needs to be a few percent to be relevant.

Also, you use mocking language, but the people who realize Sanders is the only decent option are still correct. Arguments along the lines of "well other people disagree" are always the last resort when someone realizes they can't actually engage the point on moral or factual merits.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 3, 2019

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

twodot posted:

edit:

You need 2/3rds to change the rules, but only a majority to set a precedent. The filibuster changes that have already happened were done with a majority vote because Senate rules are calvinball and nothing makes sense.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Correct, just like they weren't in 2016 either.

The problem in the general for Warren will be when she tacks to the center, can't explain how she will help a single person but will claim she has a 472-point plan that you can't see right now, and goes to closed door fundraisers with the hated billionaires that Trump will tie to her. Ie the same reasons Hillary had problems turning out ordinary not-online people.

And of course the brainworms crew will blame this all on the people who warned them about it in the first place, and say that the loss was all thanks to BernieBusters who poisoned the electorate back in 2019 by saying corruption is bad and healthcare is good.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Concerned Citizen posted:

You need 2/3rds to change the rules, but only a majority to set a precedent. The filibuster changes that have already happened were done with a majority vote because Senate rules are calvinball and nothing makes sense.
The point is ending the filibuster by saying "The old rules don't apply, here are new rules" or saying "The reconciliation rules don't apply to my bill" involves ignoring the same amount of rules. Like it's not anymore Calvinball to ignore reconciliation rules than it is to ignore cloture rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ytlaya posted:

By the same logic, I don't see how it's worse either, though?

Well, the biggest issue is that there is a pretty good chance it is not legally permissible under the Congressional Budget Act, and would thus leave legislation passed in such a matter in the hands of the courts.