Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I think jetpacks worked fine for flight in PO3, even in the flight-neutered areas, except the jetpacks had really, really short flight times :v:

Jetpacks got rebalanced to not be so obscene on rf usage when you upgrade them. The resonant jetpack is only like 8k RF/t now instead of 80k RF/t, so with Holding IV on a flux capacitor you can get more than enough flight time to do all of Twilight Forest or The Erebus.

Not like either of those two flight restricted dimensions actually add anything and unless you don't know how to get decent weapons they're utter jokes difficulty wise. I still find it somewhat surprising that flux weapons are still super easy to make compared to the armor that is part of that dumb chain. Why yes, Twilight bosses sure are hard when you have an empowered Flux-Bow with Power V and Multishot, they only die nearly instantly.

Also PO3 has two of its planned 3 "difficulty" settings out now, but Titan really doesn't change much besides make you sieve for longer before you can swap to mystical agriculture crops.

Sometimes I wonder if the big expert modpack authors are scared to not include mods that all end up doing the same thing? Do you really need Thermal, Industrial Foregoing, EnderIO, IC2, Mekanism, and Immersive in a single pack? While they don't all cover exactly the same things, how many people use EnderIO's inventory system when AE2 or RS (or RFTools) are also in the pack?

I'm certainly tired of the Immersive -> Something else progression we usually end up getting over and over again. If you want to do progression just increase the difference between Thermal tiers and gate the kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maguoob posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the big expert modpack authors are scared to not include mods that all end up doing the same thing? Do you really need Thermal, Industrial Foregoing, EnderIO, IC2, Mekanism, and Immersive in a single pack? While they don't all cover exactly the same things, how many people use EnderIO's inventory system when AE2 or RS (or RFTools) are also in the pack?

If it means shutting up all the players complaining about their favorite mod not being in the pack, it might just be worth it. Not that it’s the right thing to do or anything.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
In case you've never tried hooked before, I was able to move so fast with it that if I used it at full speed exploring new areas, I could easily crash the server by making it try to process too many new chunks at once. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I gave FTB Academy another try and wow it is an amazing rabbit hole to get even a single magma crucible made. What is this hardened glass poo poo?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Pollyanna posted:

Also a simplified version of grout that doesn’t require me to (possibly manually) dig out an entire riverbed. If I ever have to make another loving smelter I will lose my poo poo, what a time waster.

If you can get a 2x2 smeltery going from grout, you can just melt out cobblestone to make blocks for the bulk of the rest of the work. You can do bricks too but it's usually a pain to cast a bunch of bricks that early on in the process. My one regret in this post-1.7.10 is that the smeltery doesn't take compressed cobblestone any more. Otherwise, it was easy enough to press down a bunch of cobblestone in one hit and just pour it off to get a megasmeltery's materials in one large operation.

Edit: Yeah, you can also do it with a 1x1 setup but you might as well just kill me.

I also generally thought clay has gotten more accessible post-1.7.10. I think there's more than one mod throwing it around outside of river beds.

My own issue has been with packs that don't let me quickly mine gravel and sand but let me pull up clay in one hint.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I generally add Veinminer to a pack and then add Tinkers pick/axe/shovel and other things like Botania wood/stone.
And then restart and because i forgot to turn down Pams gardens spread to 5 and inevitably discover a mountainside nearby covered in the fuckers.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eh, honestly, I'm kinda burned out now. I barely got much farther than Tinkers, modded Minecraft just has too much poo poo in it.

EDIT: I think my problem is that I just don't really want to build. I want to explore and mine poo poo up. I dunno if this is the right game for me.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 3, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

I shouldn’t need autocrafting at all in a pack, since the entire point of its existence is tedium and repetition. If you’re playing a game and find yourself having to autocraft on a regular basis, something has gone wrong.

yeah I agree. just saying, if you need to craft poo poo multiple times, a modpack should give you quick and easy access to a factory that can do that for you while you do whatever else.

i was gonna play some modded minecraft this fall/winter (i usually get into minecraft mood around this time), but i think i'll just play some factorio instead lol

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Light Gun Man posted:

Every modpack should come with Hooked for transportation / building purposes. :colbert:
Hooked is an incredibly good mod, it's true. Even just the starter hooks for stuff like climbing difficult terrain without building a janky stairway, or getting your way out of ditches/on top of trees is surprisingly convenient.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

To expedite melting of stone, make a shitload of cobblestone large plates in the part builder and melt those.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

Eh, honestly, I'm kinda burned out now. I barely got much farther than Tinkers, modded Minecraft just has too much poo poo in it.

EDIT: I think my problem is that I just don't really want to build. I want to explore and mine poo poo up. I dunno if this is the right game for me.

If you have not done so previously, I highly recommend Terraria!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bann posted:

If you have not done so previously, I highly recommend Terraria!

I am even more burned out on Terraria than I am Minecraft!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pollyanna posted:

I'm sure I recommended it before to you, but have you given the Life In The Woods Renaissance pack a go? It's an old version of minecraft but it focuses mostly on exploration and less on building. Though there is a whole shitload of cooking stuff, you can largely carry all the cooking implements with you in a backpack. Just keep the toomanyitems interface on so you can actually get Large Backpacks because I think they became uncraftable in that version for some reason, but I always have 3 on me; one for blocks, one for plants and flowers(the plant megapack adds like 1000 different plants) and one for tools, food, accessories, treasure, loot, etc.

I then have a home base I bring it all back to that I'm gradually connecting to all my exterior bases, but I'm thinking of having a "walk in a straight line" save where I...walk in a straight line and never build an actual base, just carry everything with me and leave a trail as I go.

Really my only complaint with LITWR is that it lacks much underground stuff, but that goes for a lot of mods.

edit: also there's a lot of specially-designed stuff inserted into the worldgen, like I found an abandoned multiplayer home built to look like a big log turned into a house. Also found a coliseum, an underwater wrecked ship, and Basically Atlantis(with motherfucking shark spawners everywhere to make trying to get the treasure a huge PITA)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Are there any mods that gently caress with the End with anywhere near the level that mods gently caress with the Nether?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Patware posted:

Are there any mods that gently caress with the End with anywhere near the level that mods gently caress with the Nether?

I was just thinking the other day that I'm surprised that there aren't mods that let you build/move an end portal. Mostly because I found the stronghold and it's all hosed up with railcraft rock domes and poo poo and I can't seem to find the portal.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Spanish Matlock posted:

I was just thinking the other day that I'm surprised that there aren't mods that let you build/move an end portal. Mostly because I found the stronghold and it's all hosed up with railcraft rock domes and poo poo and I can't seem to find the portal.

There are mods that have ender cake.
but I think its only 1.7.10

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm less thinking about "portals" and more "new biomes/mobs" like NetherEx

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Patware posted:

I’ve seen some End expansion mods in the past but IIRC not only did I not think they were very good I think they all died with 1.7.10. I don’t think any of the mods that altered the End ever got updated, and I’m not sure anyone’s made any new ones.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I will say - and hopefully my memory isn't betraying me - that if you do want "sandbox + quests + make a cool lego base," that I recall Energetics 2 being real good at it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm sure I recommended it before to you, but have you given the Life In The Woods Renaissance pack a go? It's an old version of minecraft but it focuses mostly on exploration and less on building. Though there is a whole shitload of cooking stuff, you can largely carry all the cooking implements with you in a backpack. Just keep the toomanyitems interface on so you can actually get Large Backpacks because I think they became uncraftable in that version for some reason, but I always have 3 on me; one for blocks, one for plants and flowers(the plant megapack adds like 1000 different plants) and one for tools, food, accessories, treasure, loot, etc.

I then have a home base I bring it all back to that I'm gradually connecting to all my exterior bases, but I'm thinking of having a "walk in a straight line" save where I...walk in a straight line and never build an actual base, just carry everything with me and leave a trail as I go.

Really my only complaint with LITWR is that it lacks much underground stuff, but that goes for a lot of mods.

edit: also there's a lot of specially-designed stuff inserted into the worldgen, like I found an abandoned multiplayer home built to look like a big log turned into a house. Also found a coliseum, an underwater wrecked ship, and Basically Atlantis(with motherfucking shark spawners everywhere to make trying to get the treasure a huge PITA)

Oh yeah, I still need to spin that up. I’ll check it out.

If there was a mod besides Prefab that let me care only about material procurement and shove the building work onto it, that’d be super dope. The more variety the better.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I will say - and hopefully my memory isn't betraying me - that if you do want "sandbox + quests + make a cool lego base," that I recall Energetics 2 being real good at it.

You mean Applied Energistics 2? The storage mod?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There is no possible good reason for why Project Ozone 3 has 300 mods. It's a skyblock!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I weep for your RAM.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also I really wish mods didn’t require so many drat ender pearls. Those are like 10 times as hard to get as diamonds. I’m considering cheating in a stack of them with every new save.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

There is no possible good reason for why Project Ozone 3 has 300 mods. It's a skyblock!

Speaking of skyblocks with a ton of mods, SevTech is getting a skyblock mode. Well sky islands and not just an entirely empty void.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's the difference between this Life in the village pack and the 1.7 one?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pollyanna posted:

Oh yeah, I still need to spin that up. I’ll check it out.
Just always make sure to have cheats enabled and the too many items UI on. Having the option to enable magnet mode (makes all dropped items fly to you, flailing around obstacles until they get past them to you) makes things so much nicer, plus being able to disable certain times of day so you can have it be noon at all times and just focus on building if you want to is nice. The extreme shaders are really good too, only thing I'd say is disable it in the nether. It does give it a MUCH creepier atmosphere with all the new nether biomes and darkness, but it also makes it a lot harder to do much in the nether without putting torches literally everywhere.

Oh, and should I put up my minecraft music playlist? I've built up a pretty substantial 24+ hour playlist of music I put on while playing. It's mostly atmospheric stuff with some outliers mixed in, lotta starbound/robot science/minecraft type music.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I will give skyblocks one point of approval -- playing a skyblock means not having to fight monsters. Sometimes. They usually involve killing them, but in controlled situations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So PO3 took about 35 minutes of loading and eventually just hung, so I had to force-close it.
Then I removed the mods that gives it an animated loading screen that you can play PONG on and it loaded in 6 minutes.

Maguoob posted:

Speaking of skyblocks with a ton of mods, SevTech is getting a skyblock mode. Well sky islands and not just an entirely empty void.
With the heavy emphasis on exploration and ore deposits, I wonder how that's gonna work?
Also Seablock: Rustic Waters should be out tomorrow so that'll be a nice distraction.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain Invictus posted:

Just always make sure to have cheats enabled and the too many items UI on. Having the option to enable magnet mode (makes all dropped items fly to you, flailing around obstacles until they get past them to you) makes things so much nicer, plus being able to disable certain times of day so you can have it be noon at all times and just focus on building if you want to is nice. The extreme shaders are really good too, only thing I'd say is disable it in the nether. It does give it a MUCH creepier atmosphere with all the new nether biomes and darkness, but it also makes it a lot harder to do much in the nether without putting torches literally everywhere.

Oh, and should I put up my minecraft music playlist? I've built up a pretty substantial 24+ hour playlist of music I put on while playing. It's mostly atmospheric stuff with some outliers mixed in, lotta starbound/robot science/minecraft type music.

I like Life in the village! But I can't play it for very long at a time, cause my burnout means I lose attention real quickly. :smith: I dunno, maybe I'm just tired.

The pack I'm playing has a magnet item and JEI. Is that not the same thing?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

So PO3 took about 35 minutes of loading and eventually just hung, so I had to force-close it.
Then I removed the mods that gives it an animated loading screen that you can play PONG on and it loaded in 6 minutes.

christ in heaven which mods do i delete for that

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Patware posted:

christ in heaven which mods do i delete for that
"Waiting Time" is the mod that adds playable PONG to the loading screen, and it's abjectly terrible for load times, apparently force-refreshing the loader on every single increment of progress. This is the biggest change, but most modpacks don't have it to begin with (for good reason).
Additionally, any modpack with an animated loading screen can be sped up (though not as dramatically) by going into the config folder, editing the file "splash.properties", and setting "enabled=false".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't get why someone looked at modpack booting times and thought 'hey let's gently caress with that'

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wish removing mods was easier in general. I like kitchen sink stuff but I'm way, way over certain mods that are always in there and every time I try to pull them out I get errors.

like I'll play 300 mods packs happily but I also never really wanna see thaumcraft, newer energistics, project red clones, or ic2/tech reborn (why do they keep having both??) again. I never use Steve's carts either.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Pollyanna posted:

You mean Applied Energistics 2? The storage mod?

No, my brain did several backflips and somehow mangled the holy hell out of "Enigmatica 2"

EDIT:

Maguoob posted:

Vib Rib posted:

With the heavy emphasis on exploration and ore deposits, I wonder how that's gonna work?

My question exactly. Maybe it's going to try to force you to move between the sky islands? Could end up being potentially weirdly good, could be another goddamn skyblock.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 4, 2019

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't get why someone looked at modpack booting times and thought 'hey let's gently caress with that'
I think the idea was to give you something to do while it loaded but it was just so loving poorly made that it sabotaged the loader itself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pollyanna posted:

I like Life in the village! But I can't play it for very long at a time, cause my burnout means I lose attention real quickly. :smith: I dunno, maybe I'm just tired.

The pack I'm playing has a magnet item and JEI. Is that not the same thing?

I'm not sure honestly, but the stuff in LITWR is all UI toggles visible on the inventory screen including the magnet option. The block inventory of TMI is to the right of your inventory and you can just click a block and it'll plop a stack in your backpack, or shift-click to put an infinite stack in. You can also find recipes for every item this way by hovering over it and hitting R. Not sure if the one you're using is the same or not.

Also definitely grab xaero's map/minimap, but you probably know that already.

I definitely know what you mean by burnout, I generally pop in for 20 minutes at a time myself, I pick one thing to do during that short stint and then stop after that until I get the itch again. This has dramatically helped me not COMPLETELY lose interest in the game for ages like I used to

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
It could be an interesting twist on the skyblock format if certain ores can only be mined on certain islands/in certain chunks, similar to the way Immersive Engineering's excavator works.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Vib Rib posted:

Or minimize the launch window and also have it load really fast. Just wait for the menu music to reopen it. Works for all modpacks, by the way. Something about doing window refreshes to update what it's doing slows the load way down.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Being a bit tired of skyblocks myself, I'm trying to roll my own small modpack on the Twitch app with the Biome Bundle for the OTG+ mod, but I'm running into a compatibility problem: the terrain generation seems to go nuts when combined with Thermal Expansion mods (I think CoFH World specifically).

I couldn't find anything on how to resolve this on a short Google search. Will I have to dive into the OTG+ wiki to find a solution? Or, alternatively, can anyone recommend a worldgen mod they enjoy that won't have these issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

No, my brain did several backflips and somehow mangled the holy hell out of "Enigmatica 2"

EDIT:

My question exactly. Maybe it's going to try to force you to move between the sky islands? Could end up being potentially weirdly good, could be another goddamn skyblock.

Yes you will have to move between the various islands, so if you play it I hope you like building dirt bridges. There is a glider thing you can make, but it doesn’t go up. Though that may change as it is still being worked on and obviously no eta for release.

I’d imagine the astral sorcery perk for flight is going to be rather popular for anyone that actually plays and knows how astral sorcery works, but iirc AS was an age 3 thing.