Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
"I am important and powerful for reasons above their opinion."

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So are we going to see an official response to the Companies House filing or to the Sunk Cost video? Are they going to rouse Ortwin from his coffin? Is Sandi going to tearfully pretend to leave social media again? #istranglewithsandi

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Want to try mining? That'll be $150 for the mining ship.

thought that was just a funny little exaggeration until i remembered that i cant do deliver the box missions because my ship isn't a trading ship so it has 0 cargo space
and no you can't put the box behind your chair gently caress you give us mONEY

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

zebedy posted:

I actually like a lot of lore/world building nerd poo poo, which makes SC all the more interesting. obviously it is juvenile and derivative, but the psychology behind it is fascinating - out of everything they could have come up with, what defines their escapist fantasy? militarism, consumerism and corporatism. hierarchy and domination. it even seeps out to how the game is marketed and how the shitizens relate to each other.

to me the iconography in that youtube video i posted signals "dystopia". its creepy and authoritarian. but as far i can tell its played totally straight? i dont think christmas roberts is making a point about the dangers of corporatism run amok, probably the opposite (unconsciously, because hes a hack). similar imagery was used in Star Wars - one of his """""""""inspirations""""""""" - but for the BAD GUYS.

ok ill stop posting weird poo poo now

Chris Roberts' target audience is guys who watched Starship Troopers and didn't realise it was a satire.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inacio posted:

thought that was just a funny little exaggeration until i remembered that i cant do deliver the box missions because my ship isn't a trading ship so it has 0 cargo space

I bet there is some way to clip int your ship so that the box gets stuck somewhere in there and you can do your mission 1/100 of the time. :gitgud:

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Chris Roberts' target audience is guys who watched Starship Troopers and didn't realise it was a satire.

To be fair that's a huge audience.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
btw where did the chris-roberts-as-a-bear thing come from i must have missed that part

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

yeah i was really close to bringing up starship troopers, its a real litmus test for GAMER types

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The government in star citizen is a universe-spanning megacorp/empire.

They're the good guys in SQ42.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Inacio posted:

My favorite part of having a lovely starter ship (seriously I have considered upgrading to an Avenger for the sole purpose of making my lovely unfunny videos easier to make, which is insane) is that my ship (much like yours, I assume) DOES have a designated cargo space but you can't put the grabby hands boxes into that cargo space so uhhhhh as far as CIG is concerned I can go gently caress myself if I want to try 90% of their missions lol

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The movie was a satire, the novel has a pages long diatribe smack in the middle as to how it's the only way to have a proper society.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

zebedy posted:

to me the iconography in that youtube video i posted signals "dystopia". its creepy and authoritarian. but as far i can tell its played totally straight?

Yep. Lorville looks like the movie Brazil, down to the ubiquitous billboards and the giant pipes spilling sewage, but it’s supposed to be a fun place to visit :shrug:

The plastic bag helmets also creep me the gently caress out, because all I can think of is Heaven’s Gate. :sandance:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

ItBreathes posted:

The movie was a satire, the novel has a pages long diatribe smack in the middle as to how it's the only way to have a proper society.

I really need to read the novel. I've read most stuff by Asimov, Clark, PKD, but I never read anything by Heinlein. I have seen Dallos which is allegedly based on The Moon is Harsh Mistress, but that's about it.

The movie is unbelievably good. It's got that knife's edge subtly. I might actually watch it later tonight. :)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

The movie is unbelievably good. It's got that knife's edge subtly.
We've talked about it before here, it's uh, not that subtle.

Dougie Howser is walking around in an actual SS uniform for half the film.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

zebedy posted:

I actually like a lot of lore/world building nerd poo poo, which makes SC all the more interesting. obviously it is juvenile and derivative, but the psychology behind it is fascinating - out of everything they could have come up with, what defines their escapist fantasy? militarism, consumerism and corporatism. hierarchy and domination. it even seeps out to how the game is marketed and how the shitizens relate to each other.

to me the iconography in that youtube video i posted signals "dystopia". its creepy and authoritarian. but as far i can tell its played totally straight? i dont think christmas roberts is making a point about the dangers of corporatism run amok, probably the opposite (unconsciously, because hes a hack). similar imagery was used in Star Wars - one of his """""""""inspirations""""""""" - but for the BAD GUYS.

ok ill stop posting weird poo poo now

The problem isn't that it's juvenile and derivative, the problem with SC lore is how amazingly bland it all is. CIG dogmatically copies sci-fi settings and tropes but at the same time they somehow suck all of the life and fun out of it. I've read awful sci-fi/fantasy vanity press published books filled with Mary-Sues that still have more compelling lore and setting then Star Citizen.

I'm one of the guys who scans everything in Metroid Prime or collects every scrap of lore in Mass Effect but I can't slog though the bland crap CIG spews out. I found the Fourth Stimpire insanity easier reading then that stupid RSI lore dump.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1179878897405423616

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1179897772851351552

Alpha 3.7: We're getting closer to NMS at release.

Keep pledging!

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

tooterfish posted:

We've talked about it before here, it's uh, not that subtle.

Oh subtly in the sense you don't know if it's "for real" or if Verhoeven is making a subtle criticism of the whole concept. Although to be fair, back when I first watched it (on VHS no less), I thought of it as an action movie with lots of alien rear end getting kicked. But then again I was pretty young. :)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

"Grown" "men" lining up to fellate a corporation that steals from them, while viciously attacking anyone who thinks there's anything odd about that, is pretty much the dictionary definition of spooky. I'm gonna have to give CIG the win on this one by default.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/oct/02/revealed-global-video-games-giants-avoiding-millions-in-uk-tax-sony-sega

yeah, you can find CIGs/F42s stuff through that website they listed

https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/competition/transparency/public?lang=en

roberts just found another tax haven scam after the germany movie scam stuff got a little illegal and I think the program isn't long for this world (this is the 3rd major report on it in 6 weeks)

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
Introducing Chris Roberts' Zombo Com: The Game, a Chris Roberts game.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like to think the Stimperor is doing a facepalm.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

tooterfish posted:

huh, apparently ive never watched the whole movie. or even half of the movie i guess.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
dont ever post on reddit lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The redditors are revolting

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

:psyboom:

Like, way to justify one of the scummiest practices in Hollywood.

He ain’t sayin’ she a gold digger, but she ain’t with some broke urban gentleman.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

skeletors_condom posted:

That's some loving insane poo poo.

Yeah, agony_aunt has much higher standards.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I wonder what Ben Lesnick, Star Citizen Community Manager(?) has to say about the financials

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1179229390846214144

huh....
:actually: Ben, I think you will find that is a VHS copy of "Wings of Courage".

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

dont ever post on reddit lol

Words to live by.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Iron sky.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Awesome! posted:

huh, apparently ive never watched the whole movie. or even half of the movie i guess.
Here is a picture of Neil Patrick Harris in the hit movie Starship Troopers:

Here is a picture of some Nazi gently caress:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Ever since this thread moved to games there's been a lot of rolling around in the poop.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

tooterfish posted:

Here is a picture of Neil Patrick Harris in the hit movie Starship Troopers:

Here is a picture of some Nazi gently caress:

i think what happened is ive seen the last ~20 minutes of the movie multiple times so i assumed i had seen the whole thing when clearly i have not

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ah but you see he was the most decorated fighter pilot in the war!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yes, Neil Patrick Harris has had a long and varied career.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Star Citizen = [(Chris Roberts)/0 * (Sandi)] - 300,000,000

That has me wondering... can you safely divide 0 by 0 or would you still get a divide by zero error? I'm thinking the latter, but I'm not sure.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

0/0 = 0⁰ = 1.
Let's fight.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nothing is certain but death and pledges.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

That has me wondering... can you safely divide 0 by 0 or would you still get a divide by zero error? I'm thinking the latter, but I'm not sure.

You get an error, as long as that zero rear end in a top hat is a the bottom part it ruins the party for everyone, even itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bofast posted:

Depends.

Some systems will give you undefined. Some NaN. Some will hard lock and have to be reset.

Fortran resets the universe. This is why no one uses Fortran any more.