Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
No min size limit on flounder over there? Under 15” they’re not worth killing/cleaning IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Small flounder is not hard. Do a quick scale job, cut off head and gills. Scoop out guts. Trim fins and edge of meat off with a pair of shears. Leave tail. Fry in pan. Transfer to plate. Lift by tail and give a shake until the meat falls off the back bone and ribs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

LingcodKilla posted:

Small flounder is not hard. Do a quick scale job, cut off head and gills. Scoop out guts. Trim fins and edge of meat off with a pair of shears. Leave tail. Fry in pan. Transfer to plate. Lift by tail and give a shake until the meat falls off the back bone and ribs.

BONES FOR THE FISH GOD CRISPY FINS FOR THE FISH THRONE

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

tesilential posted:

No min size limit on flounder over there? Under 15” they’re not worth killing/cleaning IMO.

Can't keep 'em at all in NC now due to diminishing stock

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

King of Bees posted:

:drat:
Are you spearing sitting in the kayak? Can you show a pic of your flounder light set up?

Not this time, but I will take a spear with me next time I try and net a few gars from the kayak. With the pedal yak I can hold the light and the spear, and move around at the same time.

I've got this light, it works pretty well but it could be brighter.

https://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/ultra-bright-cree-led-underwater-prawn-light/

tesilential posted:

23cm is the minimum size here, I'm not sure how big they can get here but I can't see much point in trying to catch any that are smaller than that due to the lack of meat. One of the ones I speared would've been pretty close to the limit and next time I go out I'll be a bit more selective now I know a bit more. I also learned that a hand spear with a barb is considered illegal equipment for fishing which I thought was a bit :wtc: If you wanted a law that would see a bunch of badly injured fish get away then that is how you'd do it. Fortunately the threaded rod doesn't count as a barb even though it's almost impossible for a fish to escape once it's been impaled so I'll just use that for the spear point instead.

In other news, I ordered a bunch of squid jigs a while back and they never arrived so I messaged the vendor for a tracking number. He said he was investigating but sent out a new batch a day later. Yesterday both parcels arrived so I scored 6 free squid jigs which was nice.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My first mold came in. 5.5" kicker worm mold from angling AI! I am excite :yayclod:. The machining on it is just loving fantastic and I can't wait to start using it. Now if household stuff would stop breaking I could buy the rest of the stuff to start injecting baits. Hopefully I won't need a vacuum chamber with the plastisol I'll be using, but the humidity here in florida may make it necessary. :saddowns:

And for fun, this mold compared to a rabbit ear joy stick from 13 fishing!

The body of the kicker worm is a bit narrower and its a 1/2" shorter. Perfect for throwing on a little shaky head jig or swimming along with a light (1/8-1/4oz) texas rig. Gonna have to experiment with using floating plastics, salt, etc to figure out a desirable mix for various fishing styles I think.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 3, 2019

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

My first mold came in. 5.5" kicker worm mold from angling AI! I am excite :yayclod:. The machining on it is just loving fantastic and I can't wait to start using it. Now if household stuff would stop breaking I could buy the rest of the stuff to start injecting baits. Hopefully I won't need a vacuum chamber with the plastisol I'll be using, but the humidity here in florida may make it necessary. :saddowns:

And for fun, this mold compared to a rabbit ear joy stick from 13 fishing!

The body of the kicker worm is a bit narrower and its a 1/2" shorter. Perfect for throwing on a little shaky head jig head of swimming along texas style with a light (1/8-1/4oz) texas rig. Gonna have to experiment with using floating plastics, salt, etc to figure out a desirable mix for various fishing styles I think.

This is extremely dope! Post in the tacklecraft thread, my dude!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wait wut? Link me to it good buddy! :D

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Wait wut? Link me to it good buddy! :D

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899268

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’ve had a couple fun trips in the last couple weeks. I was up at lake of the woods last weekend and the wind kept us off the lake for most of the weekend, but we got out for about a half day on Saturday and did really well!

A couple weeks ago I took my boat out on Lake Mille Lacs, a large lake in central MN known for its walleye fishing. However, you bass fishermen in the thread may have heard it gaining some national recognition as it hosted the bassmaster angler of the year tourney since 2016. What makes it special? Well t has a large population of HUGE smallmouth. Leaders were bringing in bags with almost 5 pound average. It’s crazy. I tried it for the first time, fishing sucker minnows under slip bobber and we caught 8 smallies and missed just as many if not more.

Our smallest fish was 18.5”, biggest was 20.75”. It was insane. I’m headed back up this weekend and hopefully can get on some more.

Edit: I’m on mobile and can’t figure out how to link pics from the imgur app.

Double Edit: See post below

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 4, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Get those links fixed I wanna see them smallmouth

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

DoctaFun posted:

Edit: I’m on mobile and can’t figure out how to link pics from the imgur app.

I usually copy the imgue url then open them in chrome tab and copy that image address. Also you have to link it as [img] [/img] or [timg] [/timg] instead of url I think?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

prom candy posted:

Get those links fixed I wanna see them smallmouth

F it, just hopped on my laptop.

LOTW catch:

Some smallie pics, guy is me, girl is friend's fiancee anonymized.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I had my exam on Thursday so this is the first weekend in about 4 months I've had completely to myself without having to feel guilty about not getting any study done. I'll probably just check out a local spot and try for some squid, whiting and flathead.

There's some snapper starting to make their way into the bay as the water warms up, but while they're a cool looking fish they taste like rear end and don't release too well so I won't be trying too hard for one of those.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Pompano are back in the area along with the mullet run. Caught an excellent pomp last weekend along with a few whiting. Made pompano teriyaki out of it. One of my cheap surf reels busted so I upgraded to a huge Penn. It's a cheapish one but I'm sure it's better than the no name it's replacing. Gonna head back out on Sunday.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

King of Bees posted:

Pompano are back in the area along with the mullet run. Caught an excellent pomp last weekend along with a few whiting. Made pompano teriyaki out of it. One of my cheap surf reels busted so I upgraded to a huge Penn. It's a cheapish one but I'm sure it's better than the no name it's replacing. Gonna head back out on Sunday.

I want to try some really fresh mullet some day. You gonna caste net for them?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

DoctaFun posted:

F it, just hopped on my laptop.

LOTW catch:

Some smallie pics, guy is me, girl is friend's fiancee anonymized.

drat those are some fat rear end smallmouth, nice!

This was my best catch last weekend, caught two others like it. I think I could've caught more but I only had about 90 minutes to fish between cottage closing chores and then getting dinner prepped. I went through the exercise of getting a roof rack installed on my car and bringing my kayak home from the cottage so now I really need to take it out somewhere around here before it gets cold or I'm never gonna hear the end of it from my wife.

For you kayakers what's the best way to get into my kayak when the water is really cold? Should I just get some waders, or rubber boots? At the cottage we have a low dock that I get in and out on so I never actually have to step in the water but around here I'm sure I'm going to have to get in on a bank.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

I want to try some really fresh mullet some day. You gonna caste net for them?

I've had smoked mullet dip before and it was....ok I guess. But yeah, we use them (finger mullets) for bait for the reds and other big rear end fish that chase them up and down the beach. My son cast nets for them as my back is too hosed up to do it anymore.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

well I sure had a hell of an evening

Not pictured: one small Spot, two big turtles

Personal best 2.5lb Black Drum, followed by a nearly 6 pounder, followed by a 3.5 pounder that fought like mad bastards. I loving love brackish water.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Cool looking fish!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Today was a bust all things considered. It got windy as gently caress last ngith and the surf was really sloppy and dirty. Ended up with one nice whiting and threw back tons of catfish and a big ray. The guys next to us has started an hour or so earlier and had a cooler full of whiting when we arrived. Then the bite turned off. New reel worked great though, no drag problems with a ten pound ray. It's this one size 8 with 20 pound hybrid braid.

Penn Pursuit II Spinning Fishing Reel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ER7GG1E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_PcLMDbRWX3SXW

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've pretty much dove headfirst into fly fishing, but I overheard some advice about something for my spin rod and couldn't resist following up on it.

I'm considering a stronger spin rod setup so I can start running braid. Apparently these weighted and weedless rigs with this specific worm is the only thing the owner of the local fishing shop uses. I have to admit, it looks pretty tasty when I imagine it sitting on the bottom of the river wiggling in the current.
(Edit: I have no idea why the image got turned sideways)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

I've pretty much dove headfirst into fly fishing, but I overheard some advice about something for my spin rod and couldn't resist following up on it.

I'm considering a stronger spin rod setup so I can start running braid. Apparently these weighted and weedless rigs with this specific worm is the only thing the owner of the local fishing shop uses. I have to admit, it looks pretty tasty when I imagine it sitting on the bottom of the river wiggling in the current.
(Edit: I have no idea why the image got turned sideways)

Oh cool, it's a weedless Ned rig! Bass love those fuckers. You might want to try rethreading your plastic lure on the hook there, though. It should come all the way to the base of the jighead (some people add superglue, too) and the plastic shouldn't bend around the hook; you want it so the whole thing stands straight-vertical on the bottom.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I'll do that, thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ned rig is the loving poo poo. I caught so many bass with that this year. I need to get some of those weedless jigs though, I've lost so many.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Hit up Mille Lacs again this past Sunday for a few hours, got into some more nice smallies! Even had a bonus 27.25" walleye thrown in!

Had a 20.25" and 20.5" smallmouth, my two biggest ever!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Holy gently caress that's smallmouth heaven, nice fish!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DoctaFun posted:

Hit up Mille Lacs again this past Sunday for a few hours, got into some more nice smallies! Even had a bonus 27.25" walleye thrown in!

Had a 20.25" and 20.5" smallmouth, my two biggest ever!

Smallmouth fishing is ridiculously fun. They're hyper aggressive fish that hit just about anything and fight hard. And they're everywhere in that lake. Those are some nice ones, though, and I'm super jealous. 21" smallmouth is getting pretty close to the state record. Nice walleye too, btw.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Smallmouth fishing is ridiculously fun. They're hyper aggressive fish that hit just about anything and fight hard. And they're everywhere in that lake. Those are some nice ones, though, and I'm super jealous. 21" smallmouth is getting pretty close to the state record. Nice walleye too, btw.

Holy poo poo, I thought you had abandoned this thread!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Caught my first catfish today, on a ned rig of course. Just a little guy but it was fun catching something new. Also I really need an anchor trolley and a good retractable anchor system because fishing was so loving hard in the wind today. On the plus side I managed to solo load my kayak without breaking my car or body which were both concerns of mine.

Anyone else fishing this weekend? Starting to get cold in Ontario

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Good Lord the other people on this pier are using spinning reels upside down and it's driving me nuts

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

My kayak is up for sale, will ship to the US at buyers expense lol

https://seasherpa.com.au/collections/used-watercraft/products/stealth-fisha-500

Hopefully the new one isn't too far away. I've never owned a new kayak before (they've all been second hand) and I'm a little bit excited about it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What new one did you get? Or is the new one the one in your link?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

prom candy posted:

What new one did you get? Or is the new one the one in your link?

The new one hasn’t been officially released yet but it looks dope as gently caress

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought you had abandoned this thread!
Lurk a lot, don't post much. My in-laws bought a beach house so I've been doing a lot of surf fishing lately. We got beach revitalization this year to repair the damage Florence did which killed fishing all summer, but Dorian opened up the holes again.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Just ordered the fish finder for the new kayak (I loving hope the transducer fits).

I pulled the trigger early because one of the major retailers had a sale on and the other major retailer always beats that by 10% so I was able to pick up a Garmin EchoMap 65cv for 25% off the normal price. It's hard to come by good deals for marine electronics because the margins are so small so I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself.

I also had a $20 voucher for the same store so I picked up a few kingfish plastics for summer for free.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Crosspost from the hunting thread:

ryanrs posted:

So fishing in Montezuma Slough, I guess? I'm really bad at fishing (and it's boring), but I do have a surf fishing pole and related gear. Anyone fished there before? What's active this time of year?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I didn't know there was a fishing thread!

Montezuma Slough is near Grizzly Island in Suisun Bay (California Bay Area). Streetview.

edit: to clarify the "boring" comment helpfully crossposted above, I think I found it boring because I'm bad at it. None of my friends fish, so I was kinda trying to pick it up on my own from youtube and such, with not-great results.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 23, 2019

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

ryanrs posted:

I didn't know there was a fishing thread!

Montezuma Slough is near Grizzly Island in Suisun Bay (California Bay Area). Streetview.

edit: to clarify the "boring" comment helpfully crossposted above, I think I found it boring because I'm bad at it. None of my friends fish, so I was kinda trying to pick it up on my own from youtube and such, with not-great results.

If you're only having fun if you're catching fish, it might not be for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ghostnuke posted:

If you're only having fun if you're catching fish, it might not be for you.

New thread title