Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Suicide Squad failed at being Guardians of the Galaxy, so Harley Quinn is going to be Deadpool.

Hoping the best for it. All the characters (or what you can see of them) look pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Suicide Squad is a staggering achievement in not trusting the intelligence of the audience and also in unbelievably terrible writing, editing, pacing, and tone setting.

Suicide Squad is The Room level bad, in that it not only fails at being a movie, it fails in a way that exposes a fascinating and perplexing underlying skeleton made of terrible decisions. Most bad movies are just boring, but Suicide Squad is bad in a way that forces the audience to ask questions, such as "Why does this movie have three first acts?" and "Why is one of the first acts repeated nearly verbatim twice in fifteen minutes, as if the audience were the guy from Memento?" and "Did the movie literally just forget that some of its characters existed for half an hour at a time?"

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

That is probably the best explanation of this film I've read yet

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Suicide Squad is a massive disappointment on top of just being an awful movie, because at its heart, the concept is perfect for an action movie franchise. A team of imprisoned supervillains, often accompanied by a few very damaged good guys, are conscripted to go on dangerous black-ops missions for the government, where they are all expendable. If they survive enough times, they might get suspended sentences, but if they try to escape or don't follow orders, they'll be killed by bombs in their heads detonating. So characters undertake these badass missions: impossible heists, undercover operations, huge fights, and more. Some of them find redemption along the way, some die, and some are just so far gone that they work against the team achieving its goals.

That's box office gold right there, especially now that the general public is more accepting of superhero/supervillain dynamics. Take bad and broken people and put them up against far worse threats. John Ostrander had the formula perfected back in 1987. I generally enjoy David Ayer's movies, but man, did he (and those WB suits) miss the point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/HeatVisionBlog/status/1179464197077209088?s=19

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My favorite part of Venom will forever be Tom Hardy's hair varying wildly from jet black to a bit dark I guess from scene to scene. Occasionally from cut to cut in the same scene. It's mesmerizing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Back from Joker, which was much rougher than I was expecting.
It only got an R16 rating here (rather than the top R18) My boss at work today was wondering if he should give his 17 year old kid the okay to go. I'm gonna tell him, probably not.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

SonicRulez posted:

My favorite part of Venom will forever be Tom Hardy's hair varying wildly from jet black to a bit dark I guess from scene to scene. Occasionally from cut to cut in the same scene. It's mesmerizing.

I didn’t notice this when I watched it. Do you think it was an intentional representation of the symbiote, or a technical issue with the color grade and your TV/projector? Or a continuity flub due to reshoots (did they do reshoots on this?)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fsmhunk posted:

This is some of the worst writing I've ever heard in a movir, incredible lol.

The thing bout Suicide Squad is it's a cinematic Frankenstein. They pushed the script out in a month, Ayer had never done a movie that big before, did reshoots without involving the director and then re-edited it with a company that did movie trailers which is why everybody has their little introduction spiel and also the movie starts twice. I don't know if Ayers flick would have been better but it might have been coherent. (Certainly I don't want to claim every bad line of dialogue isn't Ayer's fault, because I'm sure some are.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SonicRulez posted:

My hair's like that in real life tbh

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If you used the symbiote as hair gel I bet you'd get some killer hold.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Chill Penguin posted:

I didn’t notice this when I watched it. Do you think it was an intentional representation of the symbiote, or a technical issue with the color grade and your TV/projector? Or a continuity flub due to reshoots (did they do reshoots on this?)

They did reshoots. It wasn't intentional and it wasn't the projector lmao.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

The thing bout Suicide Squad is it's a cinematic Frankenstein.

Great way to describe it. There's like 2-3 cuts of the movie just kind of jammed together. And then on top of that, Juggalo Joker is added.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Great way to describe it. There's like 2-3 cuts of the movie just kind of jammed together. And then on top of that, Juggalo Joker is added.

According to Leto and Ayer, they shot enough Joker poo poo to cut his own full length film.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Leto... Joker... full length film.

I'm good.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

The thing bout Suicide Squad is it's a cinematic Frankenstein. They pushed the script out in a month, Ayer had never done a movie that big before, did reshoots without involving the director and then re-edited it with a company that did movie trailers which is why everybody has their little introduction spiel and also the movie starts twice. I don't know if Ayers flick would have been better but it might have been coherent. (Certainly I don't want to claim every bad line of dialogue isn't Ayer's fault, because I'm sure some are.)

#ReleaseTheAyerCut

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Listen if there's a cut out there without "Here comes Slipknot, the man who can climb anything" in it then I don't acknowledge its existence.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He just loving gets out of a car after everyone else has already been introduced, it's so goddamn funny

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 3, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

According to Leto and Ayer, they shot enough Joker poo poo to cut his own full length film.

Delete the Leto cut.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

He just loving gets out of a car after everyone else has already been introduced, it's so goddamn funny

Then he dies before he can climb anything.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

X-O posted:

Listen if there's a cut out there without "Here comes Slipknot, the man who can climb anything" in it then I don't acknowledge its existence.

I love that in a world with literal gods fly around and destroying cities being able to climb poo poo is supposed to be impressive.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JT Smiley posted:

I love that in a world with literal gods fly around and destroying cities being able to climb poo poo is supposed to be impressive.

He can climb anything

He could climb a earthquake
He can climb a bear
He could climb a society

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He could climb Batman. Just think about that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jamesman posted:

#ReleaseTheAyerCut

No, I think that would mean more Leto Joker and isn't there enough suffering in the world?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Endless Mike posted:

He could climb Batman. Just think about that.

To be honest, not a day goes by that I don't think about climbing Batman

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SonicRulez posted:

I didn't notice that either but only watched a montage review or two. I can see myself going with it unless it happens before he gets Venomed.

So, which film gets the award for giving the least amount of shits regarding basic film making? Venom, The Predator or Suicide Squad?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Arist posted:

I still say they missed a golden opportunity to later in the film have the bad guy be able to be easily beaten if only they had a guy who could climb anything and make super knots.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
One major problem with Suicide Squad is the big mission being to take care of a problem from within. The Villian should have been external, or they had to eliminate The Riddler because he had figured out how to disable the bombs like in the animated movie.

Someone thinks Cara D should be a huge star when she's, like okay I guess?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

Then he dies before he can climb anything.

It would have been really, really funny if his skill was essential to completing their mission.

"We gotta disable the bomb before it blows us all up!"
-"Where is it?!"
"All the way up there..."
-"Awww f-"

Credits roll.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

One major problem with Suicide Squad is the big mission being to take care of a problem from within. The Villian should have been external, or they had to eliminate The Riddler because he had figured out how to disable the bombs like in the animated movie.

I think that's fine in theory because the suicide squad is ultimately a terrible idea by people who don't trust superheroes and think enslaved psychopaths doing illegal black ops is more acceptable. The very concept is a parody of US conservative foreign policy and grossly violates human rights, so having it blow up in their face almost immediately is fine. The problem was with the horrible execution.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lurdiak posted:

I think that's fine in theory because the suicide squad is ultimately a terrible idea by people who don't trust superheroes and think enslaved psychopaths doing illegal black ops is more acceptable. The very concept is a parody of US conservative foreign policy and grossly violates human rights, so having it blow up in their face almost immediately is fine. The problem was with the horrible execution.

it would have been fine if the plot was about Task Force X being sent in to clean up one of Waller's past messes, but when the villain only becomes a potentially world-ending threat in the first place because of Waller's attempts to enlist her for the team, it completely undercuts the premise of the film, as well as Waller's character by making her look completely incompetent. It doesn't help that Enchantress is horribly generic and uninteresting even by 2010s live-action supervillain standards, and that nothing about her (aside from being unleashed as a result of Waller's incompetence) plays to the black-ops nature of the Squad in any way.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The new one should have Slipknot come back as The Spectre

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Retro Futurist posted:

The new one should have Slipknot come back as The Spectre

I get the feeling that Waller doesn't really escape an encounter with Spectre unscathed

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Part of the problem with the premise is that the requirement for SS to fit into a shared universe undercuts it. If it was just a black ops team full of criminals that Waller creates because no one will miss them if they get got, then that would be fine.

But, instead, in order to fit in with the DCEU it's shown that the team is made to potentially respond to a Superman level threat, which is a lot harder to buy. None of the Squad seem to be equipped to deal with someone who could decimate a skyscraper by sneezing too hard. I mean what's Captain Boomerang gonna do?

But, plenty of films have got by with dodgy central conceits before and blasted through with strong execution. As discussed though, the film-making of Suicide Squad is so catastrophically misjudged that it's hard to point to any single element that survives the process. Margot Robbie's performance maybe?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kryptonite boomerang.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Suicide Squad being kinda underpowered is in line with the comics, though. They generally don't have any heavy hitters because you'd need a pretty big bomb to make Black Adam thug for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Karloff posted:

Part of the problem with the premise is that the requirement for SS to fit into a shared universe undercuts it. If it was just a black ops team full of criminals that Waller creates because no one will miss them if they get got, then that would be fine.

But, instead, in order to fit in with the DCEU it's shown that the team is made to potentially respond to a Superman level threat, which is a lot harder to buy. None of the Squad seem to be equipped to deal with someone who could decimate a skyscraper by sneezing too hard. I mean what's Captain Boomerang gonna do?

But, plenty of films have got by with dodgy central conceits before and blasted through with strong execution. As discussed though, the film-making of Suicide Squad is so catastrophically misjudged that it's hard to point to any single element that survives the process. Margot Robbie's performance maybe?

Look at this guy not thinking Slipknot, the man who can climb anything, being able to climb Superman isn't enough to stop him.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I mean....has anyone tried climbing him?

We don't know it wouldn't work.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Suicide Squad being kinda underpowered is in line with the comics, though. They generally don't have any heavy hitters because you'd need a pretty big bomb to make Black Adam thug for you.

In the comics their entire existence isn't justified by someone saying "What if we have to kill Superman?" though.

Also I saw Joker. It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The 12th greatest film of all time according to the infallible polling of Internet Movie Database dot com can't simply be "fine".

Who are you kidding?