Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

Bill Taylor, unfortunately for them, clearly stated how bad he thought this was in writing in these texts

Holy lol that's bad.

And everyone around trump knew it was a prod pro quo and it was illegal so they kept saying it wasn't one.

Tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Rosalind posted:

Either this woman was making a very over-the-top and poorly executed Modest Proposal reference or else she's in crisis and needs mental health care and the fact that every conservative in the country right now including loving Trump is mocking her and tying her to AOC is disgraceful.

The problem with leftist events is that they do not adequately screen the mentally ill out of the crowds and often happily provide them a platform under the banner of "inclusion". The problem with rightwing events is that these types blend right the gently caress in with everyone else in attendance and nobody there bats a loving eye anymore because their rhetoric is that far from reality anyways.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

teacup posted:

Did I read right that he made two calls to China, and one of them was in front of journalists where he said he’d keep quiet on Hong Kong if China investigated election meddling?

Surely that’s wrong

No, this morning in front of reporters he called on Ukraine and China to investigate Biden. Then later, we found out that in the secret transcript of a call with China, he promised to not mention Hong Kong if they didn't immediately tell his trade delegation to gently caress off. This was shortly after he asked them to investigate Biden and Liz Warren

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Look at that fuckin forehead

The chin setting in Skyrim doesn't go that small

pacerhimself fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 4, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Hobo Erotica posted:

Ok when you say 'manufacture'... Hunter Biden did get a job he wasn't really qualified for with a Ukrainan energy company right? That must have been in exchange for some form of influence?

And there is that clip of Joe Biden saying "If the prosecutor is not fired, you're not getting the money" - can anyone provide context for that?

If the Biden's did hinky things they need to be prosecuted, as should trump. Go for it. Find the Biden dirt. We're all counting on you!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

eke out posted:

Bill Taylor, unfortunately for them, clearly stated how bad he thought this was in writing in these texts

holy poo poo, the way every time bill taylor starts touching this issue of quid pro quo and the next line is "let's continue this discussion in a way that doesn't leave a paper trail"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

eke out posted:

Also, I hate to break it to Ambassador Taylor, but Ukrainians have lost faith in the US in about 2014. This is more about not moving it from skeptical to gutter.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1179952727121641472

Both of those convos on the second tweet are loving insane

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1179954327877799937?s=20

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...so is the GOP really just bussing around the same 10 brain damaged boomers now to every state to harass dems?

10 dorks? That's your massive "let em hear it!"?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

pacerhimself posted:

Why did I have a screenshot of this page in one of my dreams months ago? Do my dreams predict the future? I'm scared.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

eke out posted:

That 5 loving hours between texts. It's so obvious they went and asked Trump what they should do.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1179948053924651008?s=19

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Evilweasel broke it down pretty well upthread:

When Joe Biden made those threats, he was literally trying to get the corrupt prosecutor to investigate all Ukrainian companies, including the one his son got appointed to the board of.

Great, thank you. I still find it weird that people would do that - tell lies, on the internet.

Otteration posted:

If the Biden's did hinky things they need to be prosecuted, as should trump. Go for it. Find the Biden dirt. We're all counting on you!

I am neither a lawyer nor American (nor Ukrainian, or Chinese) so don't think I'll be much help sorry, I'm just curious about what's going on.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Drunk Theory posted:

That 5 loving hours between texts. It's so obvious they went and asked Trump what they should do.

The NYT literally reported that he did

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1179896431957684225

quote:

Mr. Volker spent Thursday on Capitol Hill being questioned by House investigators as Democrats pursued their impeachment inquiry into Mr. Trump’s actions. He disclosed a set of texts in September in which William B. Taylor Jr., the top American diplomat in Ukraine, alluded to Mr. Trump’s decision earlier in the summer to freeze a military aid package to the country. He told Mr. Sondland and Mr. Volker: “I think it’s crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign.”

After speaking with Mr. Trump, Mr. Sondland texted back that there was no quid pro quo, adding, “I suggest we stop the back and forth by text.”

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/kphextwin/status/1179953341343907841?s=20

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't Trump have some horrifying panic attack several eons ago about Obama spying on him or something?

He thought Obama was spying on him through a microwave oven, because I think Michelle Malkin said so?

:lol: yes really

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

TyrantWD posted:

Nothing is going to turn Republicans. Trump could be making deals with Iran and Hezbollah to manufacture dirt on Bernie, and we could have audio and video confirmation, and they would still back him.

Siding with Trump is an all or nothing deal. You get no credit or support for walking it back since you have supported so many indefensible things already, so your only choice is to ride it out to whatever end (unless you are willing to give up politics and retire).

Some may change their mind. I think every new scandal or episode may shake a few people loose but it's unlikely to crumble the Republican party. The Republican body is insane and corrupt. It isn't rationale, and Trump can't really do anything wrong or corrupt to his base. Any call to investigate Warren will be seen as the Democrats and Leftists are ACTUALLY this corrupt, it will validate what they say loudly and what some of them quietly think, that they are righteous in their beliefs and anyone who challenges their ideals or is in opposition to them are part of a deep, evil, widespread conspiracy.

Rex-Goliath posted:

in hearts they call this strategy, 'shooting the moon'

Yeah, also this. They're going all in.

e: To talk about this more, this worries me. I'm worried this narrative may have found some footing after signaling to China what he wants and China responding. He's basically opened the door for corrupt governments and foreign powers to fabricate evidence against Americans which he will then use as justification for... whatever he wants and this could, actually create a fracture that we can't solve with anything but violence.

If China laughs it off it could burn out quickly but who knows if another Government will see an opportunity in giving Trump what he wants without any prompting.

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 4, 2019

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Goddamn, that might be the densest gathering of lovely people ever assembled

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1179952727121641472

Both of those convos on the second tweet are loving insane

god i love when bureaucrats do the bureaucratic equivalent of reaching for the barstools and glass bottles

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
friday's gonna be cool

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Alan Dershowitz: My sex abuse accuser has hurt the 'Me Too' movement
'Famed defense attorney Alan Dershowitz on Tuesday forcefully denied that he had sex with an underage girl provided to him by Jeffrey Epstein.

Standing outside a New York City courthouse, Dershowitz pushed back against the claims by accuser Virginia Roberts Giuffre.

"I've never met Virginia Giuffre. I've never had sex with her. And the reason I'm saying it is because it's true," Dershowitz said to a gathering of reporters after a hearing related to a defamation lawsuit filed against him.'

Edit: just for your bingo cards.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 4, 2019

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Soon to be the site of the world's first preemptive amber alert

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Strange Poon posted:

Yeah, also this. They're going all in.

With a 2/7 off suit. And board is AKQ...and is playing open handed and trying to tell the dealer the game is blackjack.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

I'm going to just make the brave move and say it: Donald Trump being elected president is the stupidest thing to ever happen in human history.

Pretty good bet honestly, Britain's impending political/ economic suicide comes close

It's like this fucker and Brexit were so goddamn stupid they actually broke reality, like the time space continuum could not handle this much batshit stupidity

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dave Grool posted:

Goddamn, that might be the densest gathering of lovely people ever assembled

well, yeah, it is a Yankees game

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

milk-fed, kept in cages, breaded, deep-fried, on a roll the real american way

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Hobo Erotica posted:

Great, thank you. I still find it weird that people would do that - tell lies, on the internet.

I am neither a lawyer nor American (nor Ukrainian, or Chinese) so don't think I'll be much help sorry, I'm just curious about what's going on.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Ok when you say 'manufacture'... Hunter Biden did get a job he wasn't really qualified for with a Ukrainan energy company right? That must have been in exchange for some form of influence?

And there is that clip of Joe Biden saying "If the prosecutor is not fired, you're not getting the money" - can anyone provide context for that?

Look it, or Biden, up then please. :)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Me reading those texts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

pacerhimself posted:

I am so sick of that koopa troopa looking hack

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

So what made Volker turn this over? He wasn't just placating Rudy he was all in on this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guze posted:

So what made Volker turn this over? He wasn't just placating Rudy he was all in on this.

he's a functionally unknown but long serving guy who does have a fairly bipartisan rep as someone who knows the region well, he's saving himself.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Rosalind posted:

Either this woman was making a very over-the-top and poorly executed Modest Proposal reference or else she's in crisis and needs mental health care and the fact that every conservative in the country right now including loving Trump is mocking her and tying her to AOC is disgraceful.

Either way, it doesn't look like she frightened or hurt anybody there, and Representative Ocasio-Cortez responded about as well as she could have.

That, and crazy stuff happens at town halls sometimes. We had somebody back in my home town try to declare war (???) on a power company for cutting him off in as many words once, it's important to always respond as respectfully and rationally as possible.

EDIT: I'm sorry, upon further reflection, I've realized that this is something I'm going to maybe take a little too personally. Sometimes people express their fears and concerns in hyperbolic, incendiary, and fearful ways, because they aren't comfortable in a certain situation, because they want to stress how they feel, whatever their reason might be. The best thing to do is to try to address their underlying concerns, underneath the manner of rhetoric they use, because they still need you to help them. Good on her for responding like she did, and shame on anybody trying to tie her to endorsements of panic or violence over our need to address climate change.

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 4, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Guze posted:

Probably realized the only way to save his rear end was to flip

He is also literally the head of the McCain institute, so its not hard to imagine that he doesn't have a ton of love for Trump

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

eke out posted:

jesus that's the presidential version of texting a weed dealer that you want THREE SLICES OF PIZZA how much will that be 60 bucks? okay 60 bucks

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 4, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Probably realized the only way to save his rear end was to flip

He is also literally the head of the McCain institute, so its not hard to imagine that he doesn't have a ton of love for Trump

also, the head of the "McCain Institute" knows he's going to be treated like a hero by "bipartisan" fucks

they'll ignore him completely participating in this and laud him for flipping (even though it's transparently self-interested and only happened after it became clear how hosed he was)

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

well, yeah, it is a Yankees game

I wanted to post this :mad:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
e: wrong thread

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
I think/fear that Trump's rhetoric today about "I have every right and power to chase down corruption even if it involves people who are running for elections and even if it involves foreign nations" represents what they're going to land on. I think that will stick better with the populace than milquetoast democratic "Well, actually..." statements about legality and give the GOP enough cover to avoid a rout.

Any success of all this hinges on democratic leadership's ability to convey a narrative that is just as emotionally grounded as Trump's response is and that is exactly the kind of stuff the democratic party has been bad at for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Cloaked posted:

I think/fear that Trump's rhetoric today about "I have every right and power to chase down corruption even if it involves people who are running for elections and even if it involves foreign nations" represents what they're going to land on. I think that will stick better with the populace than milquetoast democratic "Well, actually..." statements about legality and give the GOP enough cover to avoid a rout.

Any success of all this hinges on democratic leadership's ability to convey a narrative that is just as emotionally grounded as Trump's response is and that is exactly the kind of stuff the democratic party has been bad at for years now.

I mean, its all they have. THey cant say he didn't do it becuase there is a ton of evidence he did it

So all they can do is have him say he had the right to do it and see if it lands outside of the megachuds