Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aurora posted:

lmao, jerma was playing your game today on stream 4g

It's amazing how well it went, I was really worried chat'd eat him/the game alive but he managed to make it fun to watch a guy watch a number. That's like the third time Jerma's done that, I should stop doubting him.

It was also neat to see the pacing at the start of the game again. It's a nice, steady stream of new stuff before the forest -> caves boss grind slows the pace down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Yeah , I popped in the stream and was chatting/tossing a bunch of gift subs in there! Was worried about the negativity at first but they warmed up a little bit by the end :unsmith:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Have you hit top sellers yet? You were on new and trending yesterday I saw.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
The game doesn't appear anywhere on the top sellers listing even if i search - i wonder if they only count direct game sales for that list?

something fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 4, 2019

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Arcanum, how can I increase my soul cap? I got the uh ossuary or whatever home upgrade gives +20, which leaves me at a 23 cap, and I need like 50 or so.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Arcanum, how can I increase my soul cap? I got the uh ossuary or whatever home upgrade gives +20, which leaves me at a 23 cap, and I need like 50 or so.

trapping souls gives you half a soul cap each time.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
In NGU, is there something you have to do to get Macguffin Fragments above level 100? The game and wiki tell me there's no cap but they're still stopping at 100 for me and not going higher. My Energy Power Fragment has been sat there for ages now and I just noticed it's stopped because the Blood Alpha spell gave it a bunch of levels and it... did nothing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dragonatrix posted:

In NGU, is there something you have to do to get Macguffin Fragments above level 100? The game and wiki tell me there's no cap but they're still stopping at 100 for me and not going higher. My Energy Power Fragment has been sat there for ages now and I just noticed it's stopped because the Blood Alpha spell gave it a bunch of levels and it... did nothing.

This is probably a dumb question but you've "equipped" the fragments into a MacGuffin slot right? They can merge indefinitely but only when in one of the dedicated MacGuffin slots. If you're still holding the stack in your inventory those get capped at 100.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 4, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

explosivo posted:

This is probably a dumb question but you've "equipped" the fragments into a MacGuffin slot right? They can merge indefinitely but only when in one of the dedicated MacGuffin slots. If you're still holding the stack in your inventory those get capped at 100.

I merge all the time in inventory past 100, or does it let you do that if it's already over 100?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, it's equipped in a Macguffin Slot. That's why I took so long to notice, I think. It was at level 100 yesterday (I checked specifically because it kept being the one to get the levels every time so I was curious where it was at) and it's still there now despite the Blood Macguffin spell giving it more. I was sorta expecting that maybe the display just stopped at 100 and it kept going internally but that's clearly not it. :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pixaal posted:

I merge all the time in inventory past 100, or does it let you do that if it's already over 100?

Oh you know what I never actually tried to merge over 100 in the inventory, I just assumed it worked like a normal inventory item until you equipped it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm trying NGU again and I once again got to the point where I drop it every time, trying to get all the cheese equipment. The inventory starts to feel way too small at this point and I'm way too much of a cheapskate to buy even the newbie pack, so it just feels awful as even auto merge doesn't help, since you need your maxed out forest poo poo to survive in Caves, but auto merge only merges poo poo you're equipped with. You also end up needing to spend an annoying amount of EXP to get your energy speed to a cap without boosts since the cheese poo poo doesn't boost e-speed. I know this is all probably hilarious to you multi-year players, but it's a seriously annoying point as a newbie. Especially since the forest stuff is just BARELY not good enough to really idle in caves.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm trying NGU again and I once again got to the point where I drop it every time, trying to get all the cheese equipment. The inventory starts to feel way too small at this point and I'm way too much of a cheapskate to buy even the newbie pack, so it just feels awful as even auto merge doesn't help, since you need your maxed out forest poo poo to survive in Caves, but auto merge only merges poo poo you're equipped with. You also end up needing to spend an annoying amount of EXP to get your energy speed to a cap without boosts since the cheese poo poo doesn't boost e-speed. I know this is all probably hilarious to you multi-year players, but it's a seriously annoying point as a newbie. Especially since the forest stuff is just BARELY not good enough to really idle in caves.

This is really good input and I still remember some of my early comments about the beginning. Those special offers for discounted speed at the beginning got added based on one of my suggestions.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The inventory stuff was definitely one of the early bottlenecks of the game for me as well. You're doing a lot more active management of gear since you only have a handful of slots to work with which does suck because you need to babysit it closely to make sure your stuff is merging ASAP to open up new accessory slots. There's not a lot of advice I can give but once you're able to start picking up inventory slots through perks it's kinda just like this. There's also new merge slots for your inventory spaces but it's 250 PP or AP and I think at that point you probably haven't even unlocked PP yet. I think this is definitely around when I purchased the first newbie pack.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think my big problem with NGU, at least in this early stage which is as far as I ever get, is that it's an idle game that refuses to actually let you idle, while not actually having any interesting decisions to make while looking at it. It just requires so much babysitting at this stage...

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think my big problem with NGU, at least in this early stage which is as far as I ever get, is that it's an idle game that refuses to actually let you idle, while not actually having any interesting decisions to make while looking at it. It just requires so much babysitting at this stage...

The interesting decisions opens up after early game when you start getting more options of stuff to do. Likewise, the time scale increases, to where you eventually end up at the "check once every 24 hours" stage if that's your style.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the game definitely does have you doing more hands on stuff towards the beginning but as more mechanics unlock you are doing less active runs. Like Enigma said at the mid to late stage of the game it's letting things run for a full day and poking it a few times to switch loadouts or spend some EXP along the way. You do have to get through that early stage to get there though so I can see how that would be frustrating, especially coming back for a second time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Player retention on idle games that are too idle out of the gate is terrible. It's boring you ask yourself "am I doing this right? There has to be something more". This doesn't mean it shouldn't be made easier to idle (larger base inventory or something) if that's actually a problem. It does mean you shouldn't expect it to be 24h runs out of the gate. It also might take too long to get to the 24h sweet spot. I started doing 24h runs very late and stuck with 30 minute long runs so I'm not too clear when the transition is.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Arcanum, Build#175: We have four elemental ring enchantments now. Recharge your fire/earth/air/water faster and get a boosted lorecap while you have 'em on. Handy.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

pixaal posted:

Player retention on idle games that are too idle out of the gate is terrible. It's boring you ask yourself "am I doing this right? There has to be something more". This doesn't mean it shouldn't be made easier to idle (larger base inventory or something) if that's actually a problem. It does mean you shouldn't expect it to be 24h runs out of the gate. It also might take too long to get to the 24h sweet spot. I started doing 24h runs very late and stuck with 30 minute long runs so I'm not too clear when the transition is.

I think it's around the beard wall of I'm remembering discord chat right. Even then you're up to 10h as fruits become important to progress

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Has anyone done joyless in evolve? What's the reward for finishing it

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Eldercain posted:

I'm doing a run right now. Looks like the challenge modes double the mastery gain for that run. So if I got that right I'd get 2.5% mastery for this gold star human instead of 1.25%.

Guess we'll find out soon.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Eldercain posted:

I think it's around the beard wall of I'm remembering discord chat right. Even then you're up to 10h as fruits become important to progress

24h rebirths started being really useful for me right around the time I was able to autokill Jake. I feel like that's where the scales tipped in exp gain from titans vs bosses. Prior to that I was doing regular 1h rebirths.

e: I just got my first uug kill last week for reference

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

dis astranagant posted:

trapping souls gives you half a soul cap each time.

Ah, stupid of me. Thanks!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arcanuse posted:

Arcanum, Build#175: We have four elemental ring enchantments now. Recharge your fire/earth/air/water faster and get a boosted lorecap while you have 'em on. Handy.
sure, but that means you're not wearing +1 mana which is never leaving my fingers because gotta focus fast

(also there's a spellcraft mechanic which uh... doesn't really do anything you can't do manually?)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Eldercain posted:

You get a challenge achievement that's worth more mastery than a regular one.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Feelin' like shitposting today.

Pigbuster posted:

It's amazing how well it went, I was really worried chat'd eat him/the game alive but he managed to make it fun to watch a guy watch a number. That's like the third time Jerma's done that, I should stop doubting him.

It was also neat to see the pacing at the start of the game again. It's a nice, steady stream of new stuff before the forest -> caves boss grind slows the pace down.

I'm glad both the stream and the streamer got a laugh of that pic lol. I should've animated it with the player number going down.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
NGU first CONSUMABLES JACKPOT in over a year playing!

(which doesn't give me Resource 3 potion beta for..some reason? and possibly others but that's harder to tell)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Ghostlight posted:

You get a challenge achievement that's worth more mastery than a regular one.

100% not worth it

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy
Been playing NGU the last couple days, really nice lil background game. Are there any must-haves to invest EXP in? I've hit 100k energy so i've just been saving up to raise the limit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

jorty posted:

Been playing NGU the last couple days, really nice lil background game. Are there any must-haves to invest EXP in? I've hit 100k energy so i've just been saving up to raise the limit.

You'll want to make sure to get your E/M up to the speed cap of 50, that way you're gaining the most possible resources per second. Don't spend the XP on Adventure Stats or the Attack/Defense boosts. Inventory spaces & Loot Filter are def good non-E/M purchases too.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In arcanum. I still have The Craft and Oracle open as a t1 job. Will it add to what i have or does it replace my t1 job i took?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Musluk posted:

Feelin' like shitposting today.

I'm glad both the stream and the streamer got a laugh of that pic lol. I should've animated it with the player number going down.

You wouldn't happen to know when in the VOD that happened?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lmao the steam reviews for that god one; all these people with literally tens of thousands of hours played. Like multiple years of presumably having the game on constantly, I guess.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Meskhenet posted:

In arcanum. I still have The Craft and Oracle open as a t1 job. Will it add to what i have or does it replace my t1 job i took?
based on when it was previously bugged, it just lets you get multiple and adds, but I don't know if that's been fixed by nerfing the outcomes even if the bugs still exist

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Arcanum, Build#17?: More spells, so earth mages have something to do. Other elements also get spells such as air getting dust devils to go faster, but c'mon earth only had the one spell before.
Arcanum, Build#206: The plague of whiffing hits is at an end! Even more spells, with spirit and water getting ones to lower stress, nature for damage over time, and a set-three of spirit spells to hit things more often. Also a skill to raise your stress cap, so you can get even more stressed before going home to sleep it off/eat children/what-have-you.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 6, 2019

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Really enjoying NGU, great work 4G!

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Tortolia posted:

Really enjoying NGU, great work 4G!

Thanks!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

started happening after the Steam release if I have the blood digger active - not really a Big Deal

also I thought evilverse pants drop rates had been broken somehow and I'm glad I held off on posting about it; just got my second drop while my boots, axe, amulet, etc. are all around level 50. statistics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Well I stuck with it and things are stabilizing despite my complaining... And then I think I made a bad decision going into the Basic Challenge as soon as it unlocked. Whoops.