Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I really like those unashamedly feminine pastel colours and jewelled frames; I like everything that makes this game less of an adventure in fragile masculinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I know nothing about My Little Pony except that there are/were a lot of creepy dudes who jerked off to them and more or less hijacked a series for little kids.

I don't hate the cards. Unironically don't dislike the purples and pinks and colors you don't usually see in card frames. The "anypony" bit kind of makes me twitch, that's kind of it.

vegetables posted:

I really like those unashamedly feminine pastel colours and jewelled frames; I like everything that makes this game less of an adventure in fragile masculinity

Pretty much this yeah. The fact that it's making people angry is nothing but funny to me. Imagine your fun being ruined by cartoon ponies on your manly man magic cards.

Hell why not: make the next joke set a big Hasbro/WotC collaboration.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 3, 2019

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's made for children but it's also a $50 special edition limited run product of 3 cards. At least the pokemon versions have a toy, a couple pins, and maybe a pokeball.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I will never see those cards in any Magic related context I would care about so print them in a standard set at common

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

It's made for children but it's also a $50 special edition limited run product of 3 cards. At least the pokemon versions have a toy, a couple pins, and maybe a pokeball.

Never mind this is dumb. Not because of the cards, but because it's just even more whalebait with the added cost of not even being playable cards. :v:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Framboise posted:

I know nothing about My Little Pony except that there are/were a lot of creepy dudes who jerked off to them and more or less hijacked a series for little kids.

The words "brony jar" kind of sum up that problem :barf:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The words "brony jar" kind of sum up that problem :barf:

why did i look that up this was a Mistake

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I didnt read the article fully the first time. We will be getting four pony sleeves in arena, $4 each.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I hate about these is that my seven year old never got into My Little Pony, so she can't fully enjoy the cute card design enough for me to buy them for her and support a deserving charity.

I don't know anything about My Little Pony that doesn't come from Patton Oswalt's rant*, but it's cute that "Rarity" cares about card rarity and the Nightmare cares about the time of day.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr6IjOzFJbQ&t=92s

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I read them over multiple times trying to figure out how the "night" mechanic worked.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jfc of course it's $50. I knew it would be even before I looked at it. Why would the three card product for children not be. (The answer is it's not actually for children. I know.) But it would have been nice for it to be halfway reasonably costed. I'd have liked to get one for my daughter.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They should swap the prices so the arena sleeves are $50 and the cards are $4.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

Jfc of course it's $50. I knew it would be even before I looked at it. Why would the three card product for children not be. (The answer is it's not actually for children. I know.) But it would have been nice for it to be halfway reasonably costed. I'd have liked to get one for my daughter.

It’s for charity if you’d like a justification to get something for your “daughter”

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My only complaint is that now we'll never get a card with the extremely metal name "Nightmare Moon"

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I'd totally get the Twilight Sparkle card and build an EDH deck, but that's because I'm a sucker for Tribal lords rather than any strong opinions about MLP.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Haha, I think 5 or 6 of the top 8 for the Fandom decks were all Bant Golos

Hope ya'll ready for Field decks!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

80s James Hetfield posted:

Haha, I think 5 or 6 of the top 8 for the Fandom decks were all Bant Golos

Hope ya'll ready for Field decks!

Got 4 Field of Ruins ready to go!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

suicidesteve posted:

They rotate my dude

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

80s James Hetfield posted:

They rotate my dude

:thejoke:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

oops, my bad.

owned

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
Rehumanize yourself and face to Friendship

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
Anyway I just bought all the ELD brawl decks since I saw them at Walmart. They were $20 a piece. I assume the online prices on these things are about to come screaming back down to earth?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Dom is Here posted:

Anyway I just bought all the ELD brawl decks since I saw them at Walmart. They were $20 a piece. I assume the online prices on these things are about to come screaming back down to earth?

Guess I'm taking a trip to Walmart tonight

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
I got a cool art foil version of the Lovestruck Beast from the fat pack I impulse bought :kimchi:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Nice, I pulled a showcase nonfoil at prerelease and I dig the art.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i'm half convinced they were going to reprint field of ruin in the brawl decks, because it's exactly the sort of fair land destruction that is printable in every format, and just forgot. this would make the eldraine mono-lands less good though. there's still absolutely stone nothing in standard that beats field outside of the wildly narrow Bedazzle.

we got sorcerous spyglass back though :confuoot:

e: also the pony cards are cute and the text "everypony wins the game" is amazing, you're all haters

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

quote:

e: also the pony cards are cute and the text "everypony wins the game" is amazing, you're all haters

I know (through friends of friends) bronies who were deep enough into the series to be hired to work directly on the trading card game.

I've been over to their place due to said friends wanting to hang out with both circles.

I'VE SEEN SOME poo poo. :negative: :barf:

The cards are neat, though, if you're into that sort of thing. And it's for a good charity, no less. Only thing is, how are you gonna win with that ability, considering the other ponies don't exist as cards? ;)

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 4, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ungulateman posted:

I'm assuming that this is like a Floral Spuzzem thing where the pony cards win the game but the players don't.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

Guess I'm taking a trip to Walmart tonight

Checked, Walmart close to my place doesn't seem to have them yet. The Target close to me has Eldraine products out, but no brawl decks. Will have to check later.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

every single answer to field of the dead rotated out lol

stump collector
May 28, 2007
When do your area Walmarts stock new MTG sets, typically? I never see anything but the deck builder boxes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

little munchkin posted:

between assassin's trophy and casualties of war being viable land destruction and the general quality of both colors in eldraine i'm surprised there hasn't been a golgari ramp deck going around or something

probably because people are still trying to wedge in blue to run oko as well tbh

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

reprint armageddon you cowards

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Silhouette posted:

reprint ravages of war you cowards

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Oh hey, stormfist crusader reliably triggers spectacle.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm stupid and got Vraska JP art sleeves and planning to get the JP art playmat. But haven't found a standard Golgari deck I'd like to play because none of them have a Vraska in them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

little munchkin posted:

Trophy I guess.

Time to bring standard faithful Demolish back into sideboards

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
I went back to walmart and bought a collector's booster out of curiosity and it was pretty good. Another foil Beast, extended art robber of the rich, and story book Rider and Stompy Giant and then a bunch of foils and other storybook cards. Felt pretty good about it.

So I bought two more, and folks, I'm really dumb. If you like whiffing on boosters, imagine how good whiffing on $23 boosters feels.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dom is Here posted:

So I bought two more, and folks, I'm really dumb. If you like whiffing on boosters, imagine how good whiffing on $23 boosters feels.

remember this feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Trophy I guess.

Time to bring standard faithful Demolish back into sideboards

Trophy doesn't really solve the problem, there's 3 more copies of field and 4 copies of golos to help find them, so they're still present a late game that you can't possibly compete with.