Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like this should be the final nail in the coffin but I'm sure a trove of assholes will still continue to blame Zoe Quinn for "making poo poo up."

Considering the entire bullshit excuse for gamergate, that Zoe received positive coverage from a journalist she was sleeping with, literally didn't happen, I'd say you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Right before I got fired from my last job in games media this one reporter was discussing how the Zoe Quinn thing was actually real and it was about ethics in games journalism and suddenly I was really happy to not work there anymore lmao

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Tender Bender posted:

Considering the entire bullshit excuse for gamergate, that Zoe received positive coverage from a journalist she was sleeping with, literally didn't happen, I'd say you're right.

They never have cared about the facts and will continue to not care to justify their sad anger. No amount of evidence is gonna help.

That said, this is motivating me to play another run through the game. Its been a while since I've failed miserably at band songs and I've really wanted to go back and do the Rat Children quest line.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

User0015 posted:

I tried watching this and the person running the LP had a bad habit of just flatly reading text on the screen as he clicked through it. Does that get any better?
I didn't want to do voices for the characters, I'm no YouTube personality. I never changed my approach to it before ending the LP, either.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Reading that article just makes it easier to disassociate Alec from the game. It seems like he basically used his connections to hook some people up with a publisher and loan his name to a KickStarter and disappeared after the blue sky was over.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Craptacular! posted:

Reading that article just makes it easier to disassociate Alec from the game. It seems like he basically used his connections to hook some people up with a publisher and loan his name to a KickStarter and disappeared after the blue sky was over.

Also the part where Scott mentions that, for the most part, Alec didn't really understand the game's writing and themes at all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, by Scott's own admission Alec did quite a bit of the programming and game design, and of course he's composed an entire OST for it. But yeah, when it comes to themes, dialogue and overall narrative, that's mostly Scott and Bethany, so what the game IS feels pretty detached from Holowka.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There was that one part where Scott mentioned that Alex disappeared for an entire year during game development. leaving everything up to Scott and Bethany to do. For the most part Alec was pretty much not involved and enough of a worthless rear end in a top hat that I wouldnt have even wanted him in the credits.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I said come in! posted:

There was that one part where Scott mentioned that Alex disappeared for an entire year during game development. leaving everything up to Scott and Bethany to do. For the most part Alec was pretty much not involved and enough of a worthless rear end in a top hat that I wouldnt have even wanted him in the credits.

The loving hilarious thing about folks wanking about Alec being fired (despite that not how their relationship worked) - is that when he went AWOL during dev, he would have likely been fired with due cause from any company anyway; not everyone is a Paul Reich The 3rd or Fred Ford that their boss is tolerant (and knows they're pretty reliable and will Get The Job Done anyway) enough to put up with a disappearance off to Alaska or whatever.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I said come in! posted:

calling the guy who literally programmed the game and did all the music "not involved" is pretty disingenuous, i get wanting to downplay his involvement in the what makes nitw what it is but you can't just brush him off as a minor contributor or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i didn't download nitw's soundtrack or anything but those songs are pretty much essential to its tone and scene-setting

holowka's influence is inextricably wound up in the game's dna. just pretend you can hear his wailing ghost whenever you boot it up or something

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Oxxidation posted:

holowka's influence is inextricably wound up in the game's dna. just pretend you can hear his wailing ghost whenever you boot it up or something
plugging a tooth into his skull

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There is a small number of people trying to spread the conspiracy theory that Alec is still alive on social media, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There is a small number of people trying to spread the conspiracy theory that Alec is still alive on social media, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

my suspicion is that certain people were expecting this to be the flashpoint of the next big culture war, but benson's post kind of let the air out of the balloon - it would explain why so many were pissed that he spoke up about it as quickly as he did (i saw like two dozen people say "before he's even in the ground" verbatim)

now they're just flailing and trying to keep holowka in the public consciousness in hopes of sparking something off again

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I saw someone claiming to be a tinder match of alec holowka and by virtue of that they were an expert of everything holowka, and thus he was justified to engage in "typical toxic relationship drama" and the accusers are all evil attention seekers which 😐😐😐😐😐

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Alec's sister made another post:

https://medium.com/@eileenholowka/for-alec-thoughts-on-transformative-justice-3e2a264dd891

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
One the one hand, I can understand the difficulty of making sense of a person who, for all we know, very well could have become an entirely different (and much better) person, and yet having to continue to live and contend with the consequences of who that person used to be.

But I'm not so sure I like trying to use Mae as an example of that, as that's a very different story to what kind of life he led. He wasn't some down-and-out misunderstood barely-out-of-highschool kid trying to find their place in the world while struggling with a childhood hometown reputation they could not escape from. He was a well-established artist with plenty of work under his belt (well before NitW came around) who used that clout to manipulate and take advantage of others looking to establish themselves as well.

For someone discussing other people creating their own narratives, it feels disingenuous. But I guess at some point that's all anyone can do. Just try to make sense of it.

Sherry Bahm fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 2, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagine all the people whose dreams he turned into nightmares and who are still bearing the scars of his actions who won't get giant posts eulogizing what they could have been.

And there's literally no statement of what she wants anyone to have done. A victim of her brother felt that he was still a threat to other people and decided to warn people away from him.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, retribution only gives catharsis to bystanders online who have no actual connection to the people actually involved. ill admit there's a cheap sense of moral satisfaction from cheering on the death of a person who did bad things but that doesn't actually help the victims or help stop the same thing from happening to other people in the future.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

imagine all the people whose dreams he turned into nightmares and who are still bearing the scars of his actions who won't get giant posts eulogizing what they could have been.

And there's literally no statement of what she wants anyone to have done. A victim of her brother felt that he was still a threat to other people and decided to warn people away from him.

Imagine being a victim of his and reading some giant screed on how we as a community should allow someone time to 'change and heal.'

IDK, I'd be more interested in seeing the bystanders actually support the victims, up to and including being willing to help with filing a police report, instead of sheltering/enabling a serial abuser, but what the hell do I know.

I'll admit, I checked out midway through that bullshit. All the handwringing at the beginning, I knew I was in for some nonsense. I get she's close to this, I understand that she had a different view, but she'd have been much better off just sitting on it. There's way too much poo poo out there focusing on how to "fix" and "allow to heal" the male perpetrators of abuse, and more empathy is shown to them than their victims. Rebecca Traister wrote a rather poignant article about it, and I feel it applies here.

At the end of the day, people react more strongly to animals being abused than actual, human women, and she was right to think that maybe the article wasn't something that should have been, or even needed to be written, save for her own edification.

Thing she doesn't get is that Holowka didn't need more people empathizing with him. He already had the home court advantage.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 2, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think she's also hurt - obviously - and her pain is also valid, but it's less systemic and confronting it publicly in the current environment isn't productive for her or for victims of abuse. I probably wouldn't have written anything, but sometimes people wanna try and make sense of a terrible situation all around, get something edifying outta it. I don't think you can do that here. There's no solution or alternative.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Why is she's going on about transformative justice for someone who wasn't facing jail time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Old Boot posted:

Thing she doesn't get is that Holowka didn't need more people empathizing with him. He already had the home court advantage.

This. Outside of this forum, I can't recall seeing a single internet stranger that didn't support Alec. I read hundreds of comments from people that stated that they believed with 100% certainty that the accusations against him were completely fabricated. Even Scott Benson was deemed a liar, traitor, and murderer by public opinion. There is absolutely no such thing as cancel /callout culture, vigilante justice, or Twitter hate mobs.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
twitter hate mobs is just twitter

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I read hundreds of comments

why would you ever do this

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I was wondering if the scandal would harm my enjoyment of the game. I started playing it again, and I'm happy to say that im still loving the game just as much. I get so immersed in Possum Springs that all that matters is the game.

Seriously, this game is like a favorite movie of mine that I could enjoy over and over.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I just started a new playthrough myself and it still holds up in spite of recent events, you just kind of have to disassociate yourself from the behind the scenes stuff as much as you can and just enjoy the game on its own merits.

All that aside, I do wish there was a way to skip the dream sequences if you wanted as aside from the first one and Catgod they’re all kind of tedious and repetitive (find x number of musicians in increasingly more complex platforming stages and then make your way back to the start). I have found that you can at least skip the DDR segments entirely simply by pressing whatever passes for the start button on your version though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would really like an entirely new rhythm game based on Night in the Woods, but I know that at this point that is impossible and Night in the Woods as an ongoing IP is dead.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
As someone who loves the NITW soundtrack, I just used MP3Tag to change the artist from Alec to Hatsune Miku and it basically fixed the guilt I was feeling for loving the soundtrack still. Might work for you too!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ill be honest, not really sure how that works

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

mary had a little clam posted:

As someone who loves the NITW soundtrack, I just used MP3Tag to change the artist from Alec to Hatsune Miku and it basically fixed the guilt I was feeling for loving the soundtrack still. Might work for you too!

can't believe the creator of minecraft also wrote the nitw soundtrack, what an inspiration <3

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I think this is the best and most well written (and also not rushed) thing I've read about this whole sorry series of events so far, so thanks for the link.

I love NITW, its soundtrack, its world and characters. It's not all Alex's work of course but a significant part is, and that won't change for me. I also loved Aquaria and its soundtrack. I don't think I've played any other of his games or listened to other stuff he composed. But what I experienced is beautiful work that I'll still listen, guilt free.

I also don't like whatever is happening with twitter (mostly), snap judgments, dismissive terms for groups of people (which unfortunately I've first read in this forum, but I guess that's the forum I read the most, so it was inevitable), extreme polarization of opinions, resulting abusive mobs and harassment campaigns --and I guess that's where modern politics is heading in some parts of the world? Thankfully in my country this is not adopted (not at a scale enough to be brought up, and not as part of politics) so perhaps when it inevitably hits us, a lot of conditions will be mature enough for us to handle it better.

At least without adhering to extreme absolutes and devolving to "discussions" where people are telling each other to go gently caress themselves.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

AbstractNapper posted:

I think this is the best and most well written (and also not rushed) thing I've read about this whole sorry series of events so far, so thanks for the link.

I love NITW, its soundtrack, its world and characters. It's not all Alex's work of course but a significant part is, and that won't change for me. I also loved Aquaria and its soundtrack. I don't think I've played any other of his games or listened to other stuff he composed. But what I experienced is beautiful work that I'll still listen, guilt free.

I also don't like whatever is happening with twitter (mostly), snap judgments, dismissive terms for groups of people (which unfortunately I've first read in this forum, but I guess that's the forum I read the most, so it was inevitable), extreme polarization of opinions, resulting abusive mobs and harassment campaigns --and I guess that's where modern politics is heading in some parts of the world? Thankfully in my country this is not adopted (not at a scale enough to be brought up, and not as part of politics) so perhaps when it inevitably hits us, a lot of conditions will be mature enough for us to handle it better.

At least without adhering to extreme absolutes and devolving to "discussions" where people are telling each other to go gently caress themselves.

go gently caress yourself

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the two sides in this discussion were a victim outing a rapist and a bunch of people who thought she should die for doing that, lol

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

AbstractNapper posted:

Lots of words to say you are “both sides” on the issue of a rapist and an abuser, man.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

an actual dog posted:

go gently caress yourself

Go gently caress yourself!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

both sidesism

i mean these days the two dueling opinions are like "i think it is okay for people to live in the way that is comfortable for them" while the other one is "gays, muslims, and trans people should be killed" so south park centrism is kind of hot bullshit

Endorph posted:

the two sides in this discussion were a victim outing a rapist and a bunch of people who thought she should die for doing that, lol

just gonna quote this to make sure you see it if you actually come back to the thread

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

"I don't make snap judgments" but then implies a snap judgement where you think the accuser is a liar.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Endorph posted:

They weren't though. The victim mentions a rapist in the tweets who they forgave, and then mentions the Alec case which was an abusive relationship.

I am sure there were people who thought they (Zoe) should die for doing that; I'm not one of them. There were also a bunch of people who thought Alec was guilty right off the bat because of said tweets. That's really a very dangerous way of judging things which in this case led to the accused person to take their own life.

That's what I'm pointing out with "snap judgment".

Kazy posted:

"I don't make snap judgments" but then implies a snap judgement where you think the accuser is a liar.
No, I am not. Please, don't do this.

The reason for me commenting here, is that I am reading a chain of comments in this thread, which I have bookmarked because it's for one of my favorite game, and I'm in direct disagreement with.said comments. If anything, I wanted to say my perspective of things; it's not a consensus that NITW soundtrack is now terrible because of what Alec may or may have not done.

I am also not with both sides here, as far as the specific accusation by Zoe for Alec. That is not my intention and that is foolish. I am with nobody's side. I resent that I have to choose a side (accuser or accused), that is not my place, I do not have all the facts, and neither do you as far as I can tell, and I can't change the course that the things took for Alec nor how this situation has affected Zoe in the past and now.

I dislike that twitter (and I guess other social outlets) has become a means of piling up serious accusations against people which are difficult to prove but also to dispute and defend against.
I still love the game and Alec's soundtrack, is the clearer it can get and I am sorry he thought suicide was the way out of this.

Please don't read more to this than what I'm writing. I am not "implying" anything more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

AbstractNapper posted:

stupid idiot bullshit

Except that it was a lot more than "a few tweets" and you're being willfully ignorant here. There's no such thing as "not taking a side", as that in and of itself is a side (that is in favor of the status quo).