Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Otteration posted:

Look it, or Biden, up then please. :)

what do you mean?

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Cloaked posted:

I think/fear that Trump's rhetoric today about "I have every right and power to chase down corruption even if it involves people who are running for elections and even if it involves foreign nations" represents what they're going to land on. I think that will stick better with the populace than milquetoast democratic "Well, actually..." statements about legality and give the GOP enough cover to avoid a rout.

Any success of all this hinges on democratic leadership's ability to convey a narrative that is just as emotionally grounded as Trump's response is and that is exactly the kind of stuff the democratic party has been bad at for years now.

My only hope is the many, many people who've said this is loving insane won't look at him doing it again and will suddenly go, "Oh, he's doing it MORE? Well that makes it fine."

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

What an unbelievably unnecessary amount of energy focused taking out Joe Biden, they could have just waited like 3 weeks

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Trump is trying to make it like jaywalking — technically a crime, sure, but everyone does it all the time

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Delthalaz posted:

Trump is trying to make it like jaywalking — technically a crime, sure, but everyone does it all the time

Jaywalking is necessary to stop other Jaywalkers!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
This exchange on The News Hour today was nuts. Defending Trump is Michael Mukasey, who replaced Alberto Gonzalez as Bush's AG. He attempts to paint Trump's behavior as just standard operating procedure for presidents, but the interviewer actually calls him on it and he flinches hard.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/trump-is-suggesting-foreign-leaders-investigate-the-bidens-is-that-illegal

quote:

Michael Mukasey:

That, as I said, is a matter for the voters.

Presidents have been engaging with foreign leaders in aid of their reelection campaigns for decades. They may be explicit about it. They may be implicit about it.

If he's saying that he's going to use the power of his office against the interests of the United States in order to bring about a result, that's a wholly different thing. That's a misuse of his office. It may not be a violation of law, but it may be something to be considered by an impeachment inquiry.

But, once again, simply using or asking for a foreign — a foreign country to conduct an investigation that may — that may be warranted is not unlawful. It may be something that people find distasteful, but it is not unlawful.

Judy Woodruff:

Are you saying that President George W. Bush did that when he was running for reelection, and, if so, how?

Michael Mukasey:

I'm not — oh, come on. I'm not saying anything of the sort.

He — that president — when I say presidents conduct foreign relations, I don't mean that they — that they — that they necessarily ask in this way for this kind of thing. That's why I said it may be distasteful.

But the principle about presidents being able to conduct foreign relations in their interests, so long as it serves the country's interests, is the same character.

Judy Woodruff:

Carrie Cordero?

Carrie Cordero:

Yes, I just — I just fundamentally disagree with the with the position that the former attorney general is positing, that a legitimate exercise of the president's foreign affairs power includes asking a foreign government to interfere in our elections when it comes to China.

I mean, it's basically an open invitation for foreign intelligence services now to do whatever activity they want to do if they think that it will dig up political information that Donald Trump wants.

And that's not that — that's not an appropriate use of the president's foreign affairs policy. It undermines national security. It means that when foreign governments are dealing with the American president on issues of tariffs, on issues of foreign aid, on issues of defense, they are now in a position where they have to calculate whether or not they should be providing information that assists the president in his political ambitions, vs. what is actually a legitimate exchange between two countries.

And so there is a difference between a public official acting in their personal interests and potentially holding out leverage of what the U.S. government might be able to provide to them vs. an appropriate exercise of constitutional presidential authority.

Judy Woodruff:

Well, we're going to be…

Michael Mukasey:

That's…

Judy Woodruff:

You — a very quick response, Mr. Mukasey.

Michael Mukasey:

No, I mean, that — there's — there's a lot of syllables in there, but not a — not a lot of substance.

The fact is, as I said, that presidents engage in activities that help their reelection. If this activity is offensive, then the voters can reflect that at the ballot box. That's all I'm saying.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 4, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
sometimes i click on twitter links to read the comments and decide nah, even bots aside we deserve this

smh humanity

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
His defense is that he’s the president and he can do whatever he wants. It’s been his defense since the beginning and it will be his defense until the end.

The republicans are going to successfully turn this into a partisan issue because we live in the hell-timeline and the democrats are terrible on messaging. I’m already seeing it with Trump people coming on CNN and talking about how there’s nothing wrong with what Trump did and what about Joe Biden...it’s gonna be hillary’s Emails all over again..

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i know these came out late but were the networks airing them?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
If they keep tying themselves to him his inevitable mental breakdown will drag them down. There is no way out of this for them and even with how stupid most of America is I think there will be enough people scared away by his increasing instability.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

abelwingnut posted:

i know these came out late but were the networks airing them?

I think the Democrats may have done a smart thing and waited until after the talking head shows were done. That's probably too much credit for them

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Mooseontheloose posted:

With a 2/7 off suit. And board is AKQ...and is playing open handed and trying to tell the dealer the game is blackjack.
Just clarifying:
In hearts you get a point for every heart that's in a hand you win, and 13 for the queen of spades. The goal of the game is to have the least amount of points.
There is one strategy though called "shoot the moon": if you get all the hearts and the Queen of spades, you get to deduct points from your total and everyone else adds 30 to theirs.
So by running the board on crimes, trump will force everyone else to play ball because otherwise the whole system falls apart.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Rime posted:

The problem with leftist events is that they do not adequately screen the mentally ill out of the crowds and often happily provide them a platform under the banner of "inclusion". The problem with rightwing events is that these types blend right the gently caress in with everyone else in attendance and nobody there bats a loving eye anymore because their rhetoric is that far from reality anyways.

god drat y'all, she is clearly mocking Greta Thunberg, she's wearing a loving T-shirt that says EAT THE BABIES :chloe:

Ryan Saavedra is a turbo chud and if he's signal boosting anything it's going to be bullshit. C'MON SON

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Is there a time limit for when Republicans can decide to run for president in 2020? Cause if it's already passed, Trump and Pence get impeached and removed, and Pelosi's interim president...

Wouldn't that mean that the Democratic Nominee WOULD HAVE NOBODY TO RUN AGAINST AND GET ELECTED BY DEFAULT!?!? :psyboom:

The Republican Convention is still ages away, even if there was no time for primaries they would work out something there.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

I skipped the trumpyears of what happened politically today, as hard as it was, to point out that the Godspeed You! Black Emperor thread title has hit me harder this week than any news any could. These threads have been so much more informative than what the Internet now provides.

This shitshow, and GY!BE hits too close to home. Too close to the end. I am ever optimistic, but so very pissed that something will go wrong soon. I listened to that doom on the school bus as soon as I could pull MP3s from Napster in order to make sense of what seemed back then a "crazy" timeline. In 1999 without political context. This guy is a real gently caress and I will retain my hope that this timeline is not beyond all reproach. Jeez Louise.

All I have is strong faith in my goons in the USPOL thread. Thank you all. <3 stay strong friends! :dance:

PS BBFIII is a far better Godspeed song :)

hellotoothpaste fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 4, 2019

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Drunk Theory posted:

That 5 loving hours between texts. It's so obvious they went and asked Trump what they should do.

I get that it’s suspicious and obviously you can do presidential crimes at any hour, but the time stamps were 12:45am -> 5:20am. Yeah the NYT article says the response came after speaking to Trump, but I can’t find anything attributing that to a text elsewhere or Volker’s testimony. I’d hope the NYT has some way to back that up.

Edit: I screwed up the times

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 4, 2019

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Flesh Forge posted:

god drat y'all, she is clearly mocking Greta Thunberg, she's wearing a loving T-shirt that says EAT THE BABIES :chloe:

Ryan Saavedra is a turbo chud and if he's signal boosting anything it's going to be bullshit. C'MON SON

Whether the audience member was bullshitting or not, I liked Representative Ocasio-Cortez's response.

hellotoothpaste posted:

I skipped the trumpyears of what happened politically today, as hard as it was, to point out that the Godspeed You! Black Emperor thread title has hit me harder this week than any news any could. These threads have been so much more informative than what the Internet now provides.

This shitshow, and GY!BE hits too close to home. To close to the end. I am ever optimistic, but so very pissed that something will go wrong soon. I listened to that doom on the school bus as soon as I could pull MP3s from Napster in order to make sense of back then a "crazy" timeline. In 1999 without political context. This guy is a real gently caress and I will retain my hope that this timeline is not beyond all reproach. Jeez Louise.

All I have is strong faith in my goons in the USPOL thread. Thank you all. <3 stay strong friends! :dance:

PS BBFIII is a far better Godspeed song :)

And to you as well, hellotoothpaste!

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Rabble posted:

His defense is that he’s the president and he can do whatever he wants. It’s been his defense since the beginning and it will be his defense until the end.

The republicans are going to successfully turn this into a partisan issue because we live in the hell-timeline and the democrats are terrible on messaging. I’m already seeing it with Trump people coming on CNN and talking about how there’s nothing wrong with what Trump did and what about Joe Biden...it’s gonna be hillary’s Emails all over again..

Yeah this really seems to be it. Asking foreign countries to involve themselves in US domestic politics is just what the president does now. And if only like 20% of republicans oppose it... uh, I guess it’s going to be a brutal slog until November 2020 if every intelligence agency in the world is digging up poo poo against Biden, Warren, Bernie, whoever. How can you fight back against that?

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Dinosaurs! posted:

I get that it’s suspicious and obviously you can do presidential crimes at any hour, but the time stamps were 12:45am -> 1:20am. Yeah the NYT article says the response came after speaking to Trump, but I can’t find anything attributing that to a text elsewhere or Volker’s testimony. I’d hope the NYT has some way to back that up.

This is really what gets me with this Presidency. Like, everyone ever reporting/investigating Trump and his crimes needs to be exact and have all their eyes dotted and t's crossed. Yet, Trump doesn't maintain that same responsibility. I mean it is obvious as gently caress that he did what he did. He's admitted to as loving much. Yet, hoping that NYT or an investigator is super thorough with their poo poo is a concern for people. I mean you have multiple witnesses/whistleblowers corroborating what went down and the accused is a known liar and charlatan, but the focus needs to be on the thoroughness of the people reporting on this poo poo.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah this really seems to be it. Asking foreign countries to involve themselves in US domestic politics is just what the president does now. And if only like 20% of republicans oppose it... uh, I guess it’s going to be a brutal slog until November 2020 if every intelligence agency in the world is digging up poo poo against Biden, Warren, Bernie, whoever. How can you fight back against that?

Offer them better stuff? I mean if this is where we are at and Trump says its not a crime, then it should apply to all. Instead of simply targetting Trump, target his congressional allies and do it openly, preferably near the election.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

pkay posted:

Offer them better stuff? I mean if this is where we are at and Trump says its not a crime, then it should apply to all. Instead of simply targetting Trump, target his congressional allies and do it openly, preferably near the election.

Except Trump isn't asking for actual dirt or investigations he's asking foreign powers to fabricate poo poo on his opponents.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It should tell you something when he gets the head of the Department of Justice to travel around the world convincing other countries to perform a "criminal investigation" on an American citizen, instead of just, y'know, actually investigating said American citizen with the massive legal authority of the Department of Justice.

e:

pkay posted:

yeah this is going to become standard unless trump metaphorically gets his strictly metaphorical dick metaphorically cut off with something rusty and dull.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

pkay posted:

This is really what gets me with this Presidency. Like, everyone ever reporting/investigating Trump and his crimes needs to be exact and have all their eyes dotted and t's crossed. Yet, Trump doesn't maintain that same responsibility. I mean it is obvious as gently caress that he did what he did. He's admitted to as loving much. Yet, hoping that NYT or an investigator is super thorough with their poo poo is a concern for people. I mean you have multiple witnesses/whistleblowers corroborating what went down and the accused is a known liar and charlatan, but the focus needs to be on the thoroughness of the people reporting on this poo poo.

Chill dude. I think it’s pretty clear, besides Trump directly saying it himself, that he did it. I was just curious where the reporting about consulting Trump in the middle of the night came from. I don’t think a little scrutiny here is unwarranted when “he was asleep!” (For this one instance among many, sure) isn’t an implausible explanation for the gap.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Evilweasel broke it down pretty well upthread:

When Joe Biden made those threats, he was literally trying to get the corrupt prosecutor to investigate all Ukrainian companies, including the one his son got appointed to the board of.

There was literally an intercept article saying the same thing and I’m p sure they’re not in the tank for Biden.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rabble posted:

It might keep Trump in office, but having a plurality think the president should be impeached is not how you win an election.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

maybe this is the timeline where the sportz men kneel during the supa patriot song.

(it isnt)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1179857984920403968

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1179944485758918656

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1179945346400694273

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

It might keep Trump in office, but having a plurality think the president should be impeached is not how you win an election.

What if he gets a foreign country to rig the vote in the election? What do you do then?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

pkay posted:

What if he gets a foreign country to rig the vote in the election? What do you do then?
Good luck changing paper ballots on non-networked machines in Ohio or wherever, I guess?

This isn't as easy as it sounds.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Good luck changing paper ballots on non-networked machines in Ohio or wherever, I guess?

This isn't as easy as it sounds.

Stuffing a ballot box and obstructing any attempt at an audit is a time-tested method that has proven to work .They just were caught rigging the election in GA and nothing was done about it. The person serving the longest sentence in regards to election interference in 2016 is the person who basically told the public that voting software manufacturers were hacked and they were sending phishing e-mails from their accounts to local election officials.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

pkay posted:

Stuffing a ballot box and obstructing any attempt at an audit is a time-tested method that has proven to work .They just were caught rigging the election in GA and nothing was done about it. The person serving the longest sentence in regards to election interference in 2016 is the person who basically told the public that voting software manufacturers were hacked and they were sending phishing e-mails from their accounts to local election officials.

They weren't caught, though there is reason to be suspicious.

Nobody has raised serious concerns on a statewide level EXCEPT for Georgia. We should absolutely get rid of purely electronic voting, but there has been little-to-no evidence of anything even approaching feasibility on the presidential election level.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
At least this bought peace for Ukraine, if somewhat underhanded and sketchy--

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1179975204564557827

Welp.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

They weren't caught, though there is reason to be suspicious.

Nobody has raised serious concerns on a statewide level EXCEPT for Georgia. We should absolutely get rid of purely electronic voting, but there has been little-to-no evidence of anything even approaching feasibility on the presidential election level.

"Suspicious" "Concerns" .

Get real my dude, they are literally falling in line behind a guy that has admitted to multiple felonies on national television multiple times. But, rigging voting machines in select precincts in select states is beyond the pale and isn't feasible when you consider state actors? Whatever im going to sleep.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

pkay posted:

"Suspicious" "Concerns" .

Get real my dude, they are literally falling in line behind a guy that has admitted to multiple felonies on national television multiple times. But, rigging voting machines in select precincts in select states is beyond the pale and isn't feasible when you consider state actors? Whatever im going to sleep.

It's not about Trump's desire to do so, it's about what it would take to pull it off most places

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I understand the need to be concerned and vigilant, and I would certainly agree, but I doubt many countries are going to bend over backwards and use all their resources to keep Trump in office. He's already easy to manipulate, and I'm sure many countries have no desire to get the Democrats on their bad side, even if Trump were to win in 2020. It's too risky. Even the full effort of the Russian intelligence community couldn't get Trump the popular vote in an election with considerable absence from the opposing party, where he was an unknown entity. He has none of those advantages now, except maybe Russia, but who even knows with them. Countries will, at most, wait it out to see if he's reelected, and maybe throw him an inconsequential bone that doesn't upset things. They're not going to send spies into polling stations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
That’s what makes the entreaties to the Chinese so dumb to me. Why would they help him as opposed to hastening his departure so the next president can just drop the tariffs.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179949923833384960

lol they shook as gently caress

also levin's eyes are being eaten by his own skull

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179949923833384960

lol they shook as gently caress

also levin's eyes are being eaten by his own skull

Wait a sec, is this a full show on fox news? Boy howdy

Edit: I was so distracted didn't even realize it was a big boy tweet :butt:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, that's seriously clown government territory --- president's personal attorney(??) editing foreign policy documents?

I mean, in all those correspondence packages, you have state dept officials and diplomats all treading on eggshells and making sure they clear things with Giuliani before taking action. So the president's buddy / personal pro-bono attorney is also a key gatekeeper of foreign policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yiggy posted:

That’s what makes the entreaties to the Chinese so dumb to me. Why would they help him as opposed to hastening his departure so the next president can just drop the tariffs.

It cannot be overstated how weirdly and badly Trump's brain assesses risk and outcomes. Like, he is playing 4 dimensional chess but the board is made out of vaporized cow poo poo and the pieces are tiny flying gnomes playing kazoos