Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Meskhenet posted:

But in A3, the company is able to get a ship to that planet in 2 hours once they found out ripley was hosting.

I think space travel in the Alien universe is a lot like the force in sw. You make it up as you go.

My take on that is WY got things in motion way earlier, possibly when Hicks, Newt and Ripley went into hibernation at the end of Aliens. Definitely by the time they evac the Sulaco - the montage over the opening credits in A3 shows an image of a facehugger on someone so I assume the company received the image and put in plans to get their hands on the xeno asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but why don't WY just go back to the crashed ship on LV-426 and grab as many eggs as they want?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ghostnuke posted:

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but why don't WY just go back to the crashed ship on LV-426 and grab as many eggs as they want?

They tried. They sent some colonists from Hadley's Hope to investigate Ripley'a claims after her deposition (in the director's cut it's Newt's family). Remember: while the company knew that there was something on LV-426, they couldn't confirm until Ripley was recovered & she told her story.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Android Apocalypse posted:

They tried. They sent some colonists from Hadley's Hope to investigate Ripley'a claims after her deposition (in the director's cut it's Newt's family). Remember: while the company knew that there was something on LV-426, they couldn't confirm until Ripley was recovered & she told her story.

WY didn't know until after Ripley told them? That seems unlikely... Didn't someone just post recently that the droid on the Nostromo was there specifically to facilitate getting a specimen?

Even if they didn't know, why aren't they sending in drop ships to LV-426 during/after the events of A3?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

WY didn't know until after Ripley told them? That seems unlikely... Didn't someone just post recently that the droid on the Nostromo was there specifically to facilitate getting a specimen?

Even if they didn't know, why aren't they sending in drop ships to LV-426 during/after the events of A3?

Remember, this is a corporation; they can do nothing right.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I took it that in Alien the Nostromo gets diverted due to the distress call on LV-426. They investigate, Ash tells the company of the alien, but the crew gets killed & the ship destroyed. I guess Ash didn't disclose the specific location of the derelict ship, so WY just puts colonists to terraform the planet & hope they find it. Ripley's deposition gives them a more solid location of the ship & the events of Aliens unfold.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ghostnuke posted:

Thermonuclear reaction? maybe the original ship was destroyed in that.

But considering they have had people there for 20? years and no one went exploring for any reason.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah if the crashed ship was within one Nebraska radius of the colony it was destroyed.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Android Apocalypse posted:

I took it that in Alien the Nostromo gets diverted due to the distress call on LV-426. They investigate, Ash tells the company of the alien, but the crew gets killed & the ship destroyed. I guess Ash didn't disclose the specific location of the derelict ship, so WY just puts colonists to terraform the planet & hope they find it. Ripley's deposition gives them a more solid location of the ship & the events of Aliens unfold.

Yeah I got the impression that WY didn't know that something was necessarily out there, but that something could be out there, so they planted Ash with the directives in his programming to handle things. They probably planted other such androids on other ships that never ended up finding anything. Because the Nostromo was lost, they wouldn't have known LV-426 had something on it.

My interpretation beyond that is that the colony being built on LV-426 may have been a coincidence, which is why they didn't act earlier. However, when Burke heard Ripley's story he knew it must have been absolutely true and saw it as his big chance to impress someone, which is why he sent the orders to the colony to check out the ship and arranged the rescue mission after the fact. He was acting alone and had limited resources at his disposal and underestimated how bad things would be which is why it became such a shitshow. Also, even if the ship wasn't destroyed by the exploding atmosphere processor, no one else would know about it.

WY having ships out and about looking for alien poo poo is also probably why they were able to respond so rapidly in Alien 3. Presumably by then they had upgraded things beyond just planting androids among unwitting crews.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
One of the main reasons, presumably, is the retcon that Alien: Isolation added in. Another space tug DID find it, they explored it just like the Nostromo crew, one of them is infected so the leave and on the way out turned off the distress beacon. They head to Sevastopol, all of them die, and now WY presumably only know vaguely where in space the signal was found.

Prior to that I remember a novelization or script I'd read that mentioned the derelict was hit by a lava flow and partially damaged, which presumably also destroyed the distress beacon that was broadcasting the warning.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alien Isolation is really good and I like the retcon idea that the photo and bio for Amanda that Burke showed Ripley was fake and covered up that she died under suspicious circumstances while looking for her mom. It's just too convenient that she died so young (in an advanced society, even as capitalist as it is) and has no next of kin to contradict the story.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Because of this thread I watched Aliens again last night. It was good.

Also Terminator is free on Youtube right now so that's tonight's watch.

e:
Forgot that Bill Paxton was in it:

ee:
and Lance Henrikson

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 3, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Paxton the only actor in Hollywood to have been (presumably) killed onscreen by an Alien, a Predator and a Terminator?

RIP :(

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Super-rare behind-the-scenes pictures of costume trials for the original 'Alien'

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Paxton the only actor in Hollywood to have been (presumably) killed onscreen by an Alien, a Predator and a Terminator?

Hudson is never seen getting killed, last seen getting dragged down through the floorboards by a bunch of Xenos, presumably to get cocooned and facehugged later. He probably died in the explosion caused by the dropship crash.

His death in Terminator is also off-screen (I think the Nightstalker from Cobra is the only one we actually see getting killed), although I think it was confirmed in dialogue.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Him and Lance are the only ones.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Him and Lance are the only ones.

Lance Henriksen is killed by a Terminator and a Predator, but Bishop technically survives his encounter with the Queen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vagabundo posted:

Hudson is never seen getting killed, last seen getting dragged down through the floorboards by a bunch of Xenos, presumably to get cocooned and facehugged later. He probably died in the explosion caused by the dropship crash.

Hudson gets grabbed after the dropship crash, he probably got nuked by the reactor explosion

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Vagabundo posted:

His death in Terminator is also off-screen (I think the Nightstalker from Cobra is the only one we actually see getting killed), although I think it was confirmed in dialogue.

He really seems to get away in Terminator - he gets thrown up against the metal gate, then one of his friends gets a heart massage, and the other friend starts stripping but Paxton isn't in the rest of that scene and T-800 doesn't really show much interest in chasing him and he isn't a threat anymore anyways.

Hudson definitely seemed hosed though, he gets yanked down a hole by a bunch of angry bugs and those aliens weren't going to be kind to him.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Paxton is the Sean Bean of late 20th century action films.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Lance Henriksen also died in AvP as Charles Weyland iirc

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

skasion posted:

Hudson gets grabbed after the dropship crash, he probably got nuked by the reactor explosion

Well, yes. The reactor gets all broken and explodey later on because a USMC dropship smashed into it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I wanna see the alternate cut where the finale is exactly the same, except Ripley goes to the reactor to save Hudson instead of Newt.

I'm imagining him curled around her torso like a Koala while she fights her way out of the hive.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Vagabundo posted:

Well, yes. The reactor gets all broken and explodey later on because a USMC dropship smashed into it.

Wait, what? I don't remember this detail from the dropship crash, I thought the reactor was just on its way out due to nobody around to maintain it plus a bug infestation.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mister Speaker posted:

Wait, what? I don't remember this detail from the dropship crash, I thought the reactor was just on its way out due to nobody around to maintain it plus a bug infestation.

First they shoot up the reactor cooling system just like Gorman wanted them not to, then the plane crashes into it. Bishop blames the crash when he points out the reactor’s gonna explode

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'll take any excuse to watch Aliens again, thanks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Class Warcraft posted:

I wanna see the alternate cut where the finale is exactly the same, except Ripley goes to the reactor to save Hudson instead of Newt.

I'm imagining him curled around her torso like a Koala while she fights her way out of the hive.

If I had an ounce of talent i would do this fan art.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tumble posted:

Super-rare behind-the-scenes pictures of costume trials for the original 'Alien'

That is crazy good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tumble posted:

So I guess I need to have a kid now.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tumble posted:

oh my god that owns

adult size pattern pls

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Code Jockey posted:

oh my god that owns

adult size pattern pls

Just lol if you think there isn’t already this in a range of washable fabrics with anatomically correct genitalia and slime reservoirs.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Regarding the whole "why are they in hypersleep if it only takes a few weeks of FTL travel to get to them?" thing, it has to do with how FTL drives work in the Aliens universe.

According to the Aliens Technical Manual, FTL uses a "tachyon shunt", which uses particles with a negative relativistic mass to allow ships to actually reach superluminal speeds.

The downside of this is time dialation from the traveler's point of view -- those few weeks from an observer's point of view probably feels like months, or possibly years when traveling at FTL. Hence, hypersleep, since you probably don't want to have to provision for years of travel, or deal with your crew climbing the walls out of boredom.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The new licensed RPG also says that there are direct health consequences to superliminal travel without hypersleep, including SPACE MADNESS.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Vagabundo posted:

It warms the cockles of my heart that Hudson's last words were a defiant "gently caress You!" as he fired his pulse rifle wildly into the Xenos trying to drag him down into the floor.
Him and Vasquez/Goreman have the best death scenes.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You find him chest bursted in Colonial Marines :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shoehead posted:

You find him chest bursted in Colonial Marines :(

Let's please never consider gearbox's game they begrudgingly completed while lavishing attention on borderlands to be canon.

IINM it also included Hicks getting woken up and a switcheroo with someone else in his pod making it so in Alien 3 Ripley is mourning a rando merc.. lol

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I thought it was implied that Hicks mercy-killed Hudson. He tries to pull him up, but after the xeno hand goes across his face and pulls him under Hicks fires a burst into the floor before firing on the advancing aliens. He made the same promise to Ripley, remember. "If it comes to that, I'll do us both."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't recall that. As far as I know the aliens take and cocoon him like they did the other Marines who weren't lucky enough to die.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

null_pointer posted:

According to the Aliens Technical Manual, FTL uses a "tachyon shunt", which uses particles with a negative relativistic mass to allow ships to actually reach superluminal speeds.

Interesting. Not sure how I feel about extended canon stuff like this. On the one hand it's cool to get these details, but on the other hand I favor the notion that if we were meant to know the answer, it would have been in the film.

Neither Alien nor Aliens specified the distance to LV-426. We know Ripley traveled for 57 years, but without knowing her speed we can't calculate distance. The guy on LV-426 who says it takes two weeks to get an answer might hold the key. Assuming he meant it takes one week for his signal to reach HQ and another week for the reply to arrive, the distance is roughly 115,068,493,150 miles (using 6 trillion miles as the distance of a light year).

Pluto is roughly 4 billion miles from the sun, so that's a massive distance. I guess this means FTL must exist, unless Hicks' rescue time is based on a source that's practically on the doorstep of LV-426.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Wild T posted:

I thought it was implied that Hicks mercy-killed Hudson. He tries to pull him up, but after the xeno hand goes across his face and pulls him under Hicks fires a burst into the floor before firing on the advancing aliens.

I think the novelization hinted at that.