Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I don't get the hate for federations. You get a free endlessly reinforcing fleet that doesn't cost upkeep or fleet capacity. That seems pretty cool to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

And Tyler Too! posted:

I don't get the hate for federations. You get a free endlessly reinforcing fleet that doesn't cost upkeep or fleet capacity. That seems pretty cool to me.

Also kind of a crapshoot whether that fleet obeys your orders or not

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

And Tyler Too! posted:

And incessant demands you get into wars the AI cannot win without you slitting your throat for them, that they keep repeating every year after you say no, and every time you say no everyone hates you more to the point where your diplomacy modifier gets into the negative hundreds because shut the gently caress up Space Parrots I'm not going to declare war on both my best trade partner and the military juggernaut directly next to me and none of the rest of you.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

GunnerJ posted:

Also kind of a crapshoot whether that fleet obeys your orders or not

As long as you're the strongest empire in the Federation, you command the fleet. So it's not a crapshoot. Just pick your fellow Federation members carefully.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

No I mean that when I'm technically supposed to be in charge of it, it sometimes just fucks off and does whatever it wants. (Is this a bug they fixed recently though?)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Every time I'm in a federation my fleet list just gets flooded with dozens of single ship fleets that the AI endlessly rebuilds if I delete them. gently caress federations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Epicurius posted:

(The mod also has espionage systems for some of the empires, which pets you assassinate an enemy ruler, sabotage a ship
Nononononononono

Epicurius posted:

or hurt relationships between two empires).
Yes

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So, what are the best quality of life mods out there?

Tiny Outliner looked good but it doesn't sound like it has been updated recently.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gort posted:

Tiny Outliner looked good but it doesn't sound like it has been updated recently.

Automatic Pop Migration: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617534169
Back to the Drawing Board: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1609723873
Better Faction Info: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1320900875
Habitats & Megastructure QoL: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1811403399
Improved Planet/Sector Automation: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1764704051
Less Demotion Time: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1584571997

I'm sure there are others, these have been great though.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Daeren posted:

And incessant demands you get into wars the AI cannot win without you slitting your throat for them, that they keep repeating every year after you say no, and every time you say no everyone hates you more to the point where your diplomacy modifier gets into the negative hundreds because shut the gently caress up Space Parrots I'm not going to declare war on both my best trade partner and the military juggernaut directly next to me and none of the rest of you.

Nice to see you here, Finland.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Oh my god why isnt this in the base game?!?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gort posted:

Yeah the original person that made it stopped updating, so it got picked up by others. You want Tiny Outliner v2.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The expanded top bar mod is great, it lets you see more resources on the top.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What UI mod are you using? It's so clean. Also I'm pretty sure that many people can't physically fit in your habitat

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

What UI mod are you using? It's so clean. Also I'm pretty sure that many people can't physically fit in your habitat

Depending on the number of fridges and sawblades employed, it may work out.

And looking at that food production, that's a lot of fridges and sawblades

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Depending on the number of fridges and sawblades employed, it may work out.

And looking at that food production, that's a lot of fridges and sawblades
At that pressure I'm pretty sure they're just being extruded as a thick paste.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

What UI mod are you using? It's so clean.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1623423360

Splicer posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that many people can't physically fit in your habitat

Who said anything about keeping them inside. There's plenty of room outside too. I don't think my drones will mind if their food will come to them pre-frozen.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Feast. Consume.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Jack Trades posted:

Who said anything about keeping them inside. There's plenty of room outside too. I don't think my drones will mind if their food will come to them pre-frozen.

I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream. But in space, no one can hear ice cream.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cynic Jester posted:

I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream. But in space, no one can hear ice cream.
Will this fit as a thread title? Mods?!?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

Every time I'm in a federation my fleet list just gets flooded with dozens of single ship fleets that the AI endlessly rebuilds if I delete them. gently caress federations.

Yeah this is really annoying. It would be nice if you could just use the fleet designer to design a federation fleet (which you can already do), and then the AI will only build ships to fill that fleet up to the quota, rather than building more corvettes you won't use, forever.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just use them as ablative armour so your actual fleet doesn't take damage.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't like the federation fleet, but I do like the federation fleet designer. I think there's value in that, in being able to build ships using the best of all federation members' tech so long as you're in the federation. But maybe they could just be part of your fleet. (In this case, if you leave, you can't build more of them but they stick around.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

I don't like the federation fleet, but I do like the federation fleet designer. I think there's value in that, in being able to build ships using the best of all federation members' tech so long as you're in the federation. But maybe they could just be part of your fleet. (In this case, if you leave, you can't build more of them but they stick around.)
This would be good. You don't have the tech but you know people who do. Maybe gain a tiny amount (like 0.1% for a corvette) of tech progress toward the techs every time you build one.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

dogstile posted:

Just use them as ablative armour so your actual fleet doesn't take damage.

Yeah, this. If an enemy perdition beam gets fired at a corvette, it's a huge win for you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that would be great if it didn't take like 4 years for them to actually make their way over to my territory to form up with the rest of my fleet.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

After having not touched Stellaris in years I decided to try out the Star Trek TC at the recommendation of the OP and...how is this free? This is possibly the best trek game I've ever played. It's a bit wonky of course but somehow less wonky than most vanilla Paradox runs I've had. The only real annoyance is the AI was so expansion happy the whole alpha/beta quadrant is explored 20 years in.

PrinceofNessus
Jan 9, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

After having not touched Stellaris in years I decided to try out the Star Trek TC at the recommendation of the OP and...how is this free? This is possibly the best trek game I've ever played. It's a bit wonky of course but somehow less wonky than most vanilla Paradox runs I've had. The only real annoyance is the AI was so expansion happy the whole alpha/beta quadrant is explored 20 years in.

That's awesome. I've recently come back as well, I tried the Trek mod a couple of years back, does it work well with the updated Stellaris?

Does anyone know of a good AI mod ?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

GunnerJ posted:

Right now the biggest problem with Federations is that they're not optimised around the new UI elements. The ship designer is hard to access for example and doesn't always work.
The game should hand more power to human Federation players and let you design the ships first before the AI starts spamming billions out and it should also have a proper limit on the fed fleet that it sticks to instead of it having 500 corvettes in it and a 200k strength when everyone else is on 60k.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I know federations have already had some work done on them but it just seems like the sort of thing where they should really go back to the drawing board on them entirely. There's a lot of interesting stuff that could be there but it would require a more detailed diplomatic game to get any use out of it. The way federations work right now are really dull, basically just fancy military alliances, but that's kind of the only meaningful diplomatic relationship that exists in the game so what else could they be?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a good tutorial or guide on how to build fleets, especially in the endgame? I've got apparently everything researched (my research options are just thing++ now) but my fleets that are Titans, Battleships, and Cruisers are capping out at like 85k power when I'm up against like 200k fleets. So I'm running multiple fleets together but that doesn't seem effective.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Late game like that I would do just Titan + BS fleets. I do 3x kinetic artillery, and 3x neutron launchers. 50/50 shields/armor, line computers, and usually double afterburners so they aren't quite so slow. The titans are a mix of +tracking, +repair, and -shields for the auras. I do 4x kinetic artillery and 2x neutron launchers on them, since the titan beam is mostly armor/hull damage.

Having decent admirals helps too, I usually roll with aggressive ones, and they usually pick up scout at some point from jumping around so much.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I roll 40 corvettes with whatever,
(theyre just cannon fodder) 10 destroyers with kinetic artillery and flak, and the rest battleships with whatever big gun. Sometimes I'll keep a fleet of 10 cruisers with torpedoes and use them to clear stations while my death stack holds a choke point.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a good tutorial or guide on how to build fleets, especially in the endgame? I've got apparently everything researched (my research options are just thing++ now) but my fleets that are Titans, Battleships, and Cruisers are capping out at like 85k power when I'm up against like 200k fleets. So I'm running multiple fleets together but that doesn't seem effective.
Build habitats full of fortresses.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I haven't played in a few updates, but I liked to use a huge swarm of torpedo corvettes in a separate fleet from a larger, mixed fleet mostly composed of BS. The corvette fleet I'd order in first to soak up a bunch of the damage, then send in the mixed fleet immediately after.

Seemed effective against most enemy empire targets, though was obviously not useful against some of the crisis fleets.

Might have changed since then.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just built 1/2/4/8 ratio fleets of whatever the Auto-Designer gives and it seemed to work fine.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

binge crotching posted:

Late game like that I would do just Titan + BS fleets. I do 3x kinetic artillery, and 3x neutron launchers. 50/50 shields/armor, line computers, and usually double afterburners so they aren't quite so slow. The titans are a mix of +tracking, +repair, and -shields for the auras. I do 4x kinetic artillery and 2x neutron launchers on them, since the titan beam is mostly armor/hull damage.

Having decent admirals helps too, I usually roll with aggressive ones, and they usually pick up scout at some point from jumping around so much.

I basically just copied this and have been rolling crisis fleets without taking damage but there's just. So. Many. Of them.

Splicer posted:

Build habitats full of fortresses.

Need to try this, too.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Echoing all the other Battleship advice but I also want to throw in my "not a void cloud" gimmick ship which is all Cloud Lightning + Arc Emitter, it goes straight for hull damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

And Tyler Too! posted:

Echoing all the other Battleship advice but I also want to throw in my "not a void cloud" gimmick ship which is all Cloud Lightning + Arc Emitter, it goes straight for hull damage.
If you're going to do this gimmick you need to go all in. Splashing a few direct hull damage weapons is throwing away damage.