Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cubone posted:

from what I remember of the X-Men cartoon, he can make his arms longer

In Evolution he could just move his hand and you lose.
https://youtu.be/A_ootjPzTN4?t=928

I wish he had that ethereal pharaoh look more. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Egyptian theme. Timeless. Is Apocalypse Vandal Savage?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

LadyPictureShow posted:

Anybody else have the early 90s Apocalypse action figure? If you rotated his arm (I think that's how you did it) his torso extended like, a quarter of an inch. I remember thinking 'This guy sucks. What a terrible power.' I eventually got to read X-Cutioner's Song and realized he was way cooler than 'gets a little taller'.

Speaking of really long story lines, but not a crossover in this case, the whole Legacy Virus thing started with X-Cutioner's Song and finally resolved about nine years later, right?

Yep. The virus was released in the last issue of that one (Sinister's reward for turning Scott and Jean over to Stryfe). Right before Morrison came on, Beast developed a cure that would require a mutant to sacrifice themself, and Colossus stepped up. (That move in turn got us Emma Frost's diamond form, because until then Morrison had been planning to use Colossus and now needed someone who could get strong and punch stuff.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't remember Emma Frost doing much punching in Morrison's X-Men, or lifting heavy thing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

SonicRulez posted:

Egyptian theme. Timeless. Is Apocalypse Vandal Savage?
Has Vandal Savage really done an Egyptian theme? He's literally a Cro Magnon, and his general modern dress/behavior jumps between hiding out as a modern man and doing the same sort of "old timey" that people who aren't thinking too hard set Shakespeare or Dickens adaptations in.

I looked it up, I guess they gave him a more Egypt-centric backstory in the CW shows. I guess that's a similarity, though Apocalypse having Egyptian roots pre-dates those shows by at least twenty years.

Also Morrison did call for Colossus to be part of his X-Men team in his initial pitch for New X-Men and was told that he couldn't use him. He also later added in Emma Frost, but the idea that it's a direct find/replace is misleading, since his initial pitch for the first 6-12 issues of his book called for other things like most of the Special Class showing up in the first arc as Black Kross U-Men henchmen, or some sort of storyline where either Rogue gets killed on Genosha and is replaced by a goth teenager with the same powers, or a storyline where Gambit gets killed on Genosha but lives on as a psychic ghost who really can't touch Rogue. There are a lot of things that get thrown out in pitches.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 1, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, they gave Vandal Savage an Egyptian background in the Arrowverse because they also tied his story to the Hawkpeople.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They kind of merged Vandal with that weird Hawkman villain, Hath Set?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Also Morrison did call for Colossus to be part of his X-Men team in his initial pitch for New X-Men and was told that he couldn't use him. He also later added in Emma Frost, but the idea that it's a direct find/replace is misleading,
Are you sure? Because the Cyclops/Colossus romance would have been a very new direction!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, they gave Vandal Savage an Egyptian background in the Arrowverse because they also tied his story to the Hawkpeople.

Ooooooh. My exposure to that character is the Justice League cartoon and him harassing Hawkgirl on the CW. I realize now that even those two characters had little in common, but comics. I have been warned against ever trying to comprehend Hawkpeople continuity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Are you sure? Because the Cyclops/Colossus romance would have been a very new direction!

That almost makes sense, only because when Kitty was first introduced it was the perfect era for later finding out your first boyfriend was gay.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has there been any word/rumor as to when NK Jemisin's Green Lantern series is supposed to come out?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’ve started reading Green Lantern Corps New 52.

Why does Guy not know Martian Man Hunter?

Can’t remember my DC event history like I can my Marvel.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Too many blows to the head?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

hadji murad posted:

At the start of the New 52, MM was on Stormwatch, which was mostly the Authority plus J'onn, and they were supposed to be like some Men in Black-esque shadow team of the DCU that would deal with huge threats to the universe without the Justice League or anyone knowing.

At some point, MM just decided he was done, wiped everyone's memories of him from their minds, and bounced. Then later popped up in Justice League where everyone acts like he's always been there.

As for Green Lantern, it's one of those awkward consequences of the GL books not really rebooting when the rest of the universe did.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

TwoPair posted:

At some point, MM just decided he was done, wiped everyone's memories of him from their minds, and bounced. Then later popped up in Justice League where everyone acts like he's always been there.
and that's why Batman got all paranoid and created a spy satellite!

wait

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Failed a friend of mine who comes to me for comic knowledge, so if anyone can succeed where I failed, he linked this page.

Who's the guy in the bottom right, in the blue and white jumpsuit with the ringed planet on his chest? I thought Starfox at first because of the hair, but I'm pretty sure he never fought Mar-vell or had an outfit like that...

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cornwind Evil posted:

Failed a friend of mine who comes to me for comic knowledge, so if anyone can succeed where I failed, he linked this page.

Who's the guy in the bottom right, in the blue and white jumpsuit with the ringed planet on his chest? I thought Starfox at first because of the hair, but I'm pretty sure he never fought Mar-vell or had an outfit like that...

That's a Kree military uniform (Mar-Vell's uniform was like that, only green, before he adopted his more iconic look), and so a bit of Googling tells me it's likely Yon-Rogg. Mar-Vell's first real foe and also his superior in the Kree military.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Cornwind Evil posted:

Yon-Rogg, the guy Jude Law played in Captain Marvel.

Most of the images in that link have him in newer costumes, but here's a panel from the original Captain Marvel run:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Who is Korvac and why is he important?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Who is Korvac and why is he important?

Korvac was originally a villain from the 31st century who messed with the Defenders via time travel. He was kind of just a generic Kang figure with computer powers until he tried to interface with the computer on Galactus' ship, which turned him into a godlike ascendant being who tried to remake the universe to rid it of all injustice and suffering, along with this random lady he also turned into a godlike being. The Avengers didn't trust him because the Guardians of the Galaxy told them about his criminal past, so they punched him in the face, but it didn't work. But it made his lady doubt him, which made him very sad so he died.

This story took an entire year to unfold and was a big deal because the Avengers might've been completely in the wrong on it. Korvac's popped up here and there since, but never for long. The main thing with him now is that his powers are cosmic in nature and dwarf that of most other characters, so him even throwing a mild temper tantrum can endanger all life on earth.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So it's like the Kree Skrull War where there's kind of interesting story threads to reference and build up on but the actual comic arc is super boring and goes on for too long?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah, it’s like every other Marvel event.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah, it’s like every other Marvel event.

It's one of those events where the Wikipedia summary of it makes it sound better and more important than reading the actual story does.

The best thing to do with the Korvac saga is read the issue where the Avengers and Guardians fight him and get their asses kicked.
That's an amazing fight.

There was also a hood Korvac story in Waids run on Captain America (after Heroes reborn.) But in that run, the story clearly was written with Kang in mind and had to be changed midway because Kang was showing up in Avengers Forever, and no one thought that a time travelling super villain could show up in two different stories at once.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wasn't there a mini about a world where heroes only existed in comics and it turns out it was Korvac dreaming/creating a new dimension or something?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Scaramouche posted:

Wasn't there a mini about a world where heroes only existed in comics and it turns out it was Korvac dreaming/creating a new dimension or something?
I think you're thinking of Marvel 1985, which had a reality-warping character named Clyde Wycham, not Michael Korvac.

Part of the reason people talk about the "Korvac Saga" as such a big deal is that it pre-dates a lot of things that make it seem uninteresting/cliche. In the same way that having a storyline that jumped between two comic books and pulled in plot threads from other ongoing titles was seen as an audacious and dangerously complex storytelling device in 1973 when Englehart did it for the Avengers/Defenders War, in the late 1970s no one had really done a long-ish story about a Would Be World Conqueror actually getting ultimate power and killing a bunch of heroes and taking over the world, only for almost everything to be put back at the end of it. It's old hat and not done as well as a ton of stories that came after it, but for 1978 -- before Dark Phoenix, before Secret Wars or Infinity Gauntlet or any of the sequels to either of those or Zero Hour or Emperor Joker or etc. etc. etc. it was fresh and new and exciting.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

There was also a classic issue of What If? -- "What If the Avengers Had Become Pawns of Korvac?" that explored what might happen if he had won and gets into some truly cosmic-level ridiculousness. He kills, banishes, and/or absorbs most of Marvel's cosmic characters, and ends up destroying the universe with the Ultimate Nullifier. Seriously, just look at this page.

You can read more here.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 7, 2019

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Selachian posted:

There was also a classic issue of What If? -- "What If the Avengers Had Become Pawns of Korvac?" that explored what might happen if he had won and gets into some truly cosmic-level ridiculousness. He kills, banishes, and/or absorbs most of Marvel's cosmic characters, and ends up destroying the universe with the Ultimate Nullifier. Seriously, just look at this page.

You can read more here.

He’s apparently a shower, not a grower.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Edge & Christian posted:

I think you're thinking of Marvel 1985, which had a reality-warping character named Clyde Wycham, not Michael Korvac.

That's the one, not sure how I conflated Korvac into there other than thinking "I bet it's Korvac" for some reason in the early goings. Thanks!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Selachian posted:

You can read more here.

Missing in that picture: Quasar trying to get out of that universe because he gets nullified and getting blasted into the New Universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Post HoM the Avengers thought the guy who absorbed all the mutant power might be Korvac as well for like 2 panels.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Selachian posted:

You can read more here.

There was a weird sequel to this in the pages of a later What If issue. Dr. Strange came back from a dimension-hopping adventure to find reality is just a big, white void. Silver Surfer and Phoenix are still around for reasons. They just kind of chill out for a bit and talk about the situation until deciding what they're each going to do now that there's no universe left.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gavok posted:

There was a weird sequel to this in the pages of a later What If issue. Dr. Strange came back from a dimension-hopping adventure to find reality is just a big, white void. Silver Surfer and Phoenix are still around for reasons. They just kind of chill out for a bit and talk about the situation until deciding what they're each going to do now that there's no universe left.

gently caress?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

gently caress?

I know that the Silver Surfer looks like he has the genitals of an Oscar statue, but I know there is at least one story where he uses his Power Cosmic to give himself an 8-Bit Mega-wang before he got bizy with a lady.

So in answer to your question, probably.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
drat, I hate the colouring on that, he looks too smooth there :D

This is how it looks on paper:

(Also it would make for a killer reveal in a story if someone came across the giant-size ultimate nullifier that scaled up with Korvac/Michael :) )

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 9, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Was any version of the names Arthur Fleck or Penny Fleck ever associated with The Joker before the movie? (This isn't a spoiler, they say his name early and often in the film)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Was any version of the names Arthur Fleck or Penny Fleck ever associated with The Joker before the movie? (This isn't a spoiler, they say his name early and often in the film)

As far as I know, no.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Skwirl posted:

A. Fleck?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Beerdeer posted:

A. Fleck?

P.N. Guin?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Beerdeer posted:

A. Fleck?

He's Joker AF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So a friend of mine was asking me about the Living Corpse comic series/new issues. I go look around, and he asks about a series called "Relics" (ie Living Corpse: Relics) that was funded on Kickstarter in 2016. I tried finding this series: nothing. Information about it is all based on the Kickstarter in 2016 and a Youtube 'trailer' in 2017 that has no comments. What happened to this new miniseries? Kickstarter nonsense? Did the author pass away or something?