Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Love seeing everyone's submissions.

Day 2! Need a mind flayer? Why not Zoidberg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Figured I might as well jump back in for the Inktober festivities!

No theme or anything, but will probably mostly end up being portrait and figure studies. Playing around with different ink brushes and stuff.

Day 1

Day 2

also a bonus doggo becuase he's a good boy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Inktober Day 2 - "Mindless"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

heavy liquid posted:

No theme or anything, but will probably mostly end up being portrait and figure studies. Playing around with different ink brushes and stuff.

Day 1

Day 2

These are excellent. I really like the first one.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

fishdinner posted:

I really love this.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This does it, I gotta tell that Inktober dude that next year all the prompts gotta have skulls and skeletons in them.

Skulls are just fun as heck to draw.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

heavy liquid posted:

Day 1

Day 2

Rad

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Let me start by saying, I love all you guys, but the first prompt was ring, and I saw no goatse ink. A total lost opportunity you guys.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
None of my inktober drawings are going to be "finished" drawings this year thanks to time constraints, but I am really enjoying prototyping ideas that I want to expand on later.

https://twitter.com/McThrill/status/1179466327943196672?s=20

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

These are excellent. I really like the first one.

Thanks guys! Yeah I think the first one is best, too.

Day 3

fishdinner
Jul 26, 2019

$5.99 Chips Extra

Sharpest Crayon posted:

This does it, I gotta tell that Inktober dude that next year all the prompts gotta have skulls and skeletons in them.

Did you say, skeleton?
https://twitter.com/NelsBenson/status/1179762452717813760

Tomorrow's "official" prompt is "Freezing." What are your best tips on drawing ice, or things in ice, in only black and white?
Googling about and mostly getting only colour tutorials.

fishdinner fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 3, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Bones bones bones bones...

This isn’t a profound statement on smoking and death. I’m just practicing my skeleton hands.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Streaming some more character design drawing now:

https://stream.shinmera.com

Would appreciate some feedback!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Inktober number 3, this one cost more time than anticipated but lucky for me, I had some more time. Prompt is "Bait". All done with India Inkt and a #1 kolinski brush and oh boy, is that some next level poo poo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

Inktober number 3, this one cost more time than anticipated but lucky for me, I had some more time. Prompt is "Bait". All done with India Inkt and a #1 kolinski brush and oh boy, is that some next level poo poo.

This is great. In the future, maybe consider using a white ink pen or some masking fluid for the light on the surface of the water.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

This is great. In the future, maybe consider using a white ink pen or some masking fluid for the light on the surface of the water.

Completely forgot about that, I used to do that when using copics, but you can be sure to see some white gelpen further in the month, will put it in my inktober pile of materials.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

Completely forgot about that, I used to do that when using copics, but you can be sure to see some white gelpen further in the month, will put it in my inktober pile of materials.

I used to outline bright spots like you did in that post, and I reluctantly added white gel pens to my toolkit, and I'm much happier with the results. I really like the shading you did on your figures.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Alright, more designs out.

Would appreciate some feedback on these, I can't seem to figure out something good myself. Still trying to somehow combine the triangle motif with a detective/cop/uniform and a futuristic feel. All while avoiding too much detail so that it won't be too busy for the low resolution sprite form.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shinmera posted:

Would appreciate some feedback on these, I can't seem to figure out something good myself. Still trying to somehow combine the triangle motif with a detective/cop/uniform and a futuristic feel. All while avoiding too much detail so that it won't be too busy for the low resolution sprite form.

1. D
2. D
3. D
4. D
5. C

In the future we won't have shoe laces. Slip-on's all the way.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Right, starting to feel a bit less poo poo, time to start Inktobering! I'm planning to do costume studies for this year, I've been feeling like it's an area I'm pretty weak on compared to drawing naked peeps.

lofi fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 3, 2019

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

Shinmera posted:

Nice drawings!

I would say that generally, sleeker reads futuristic. With that in mind, the billowiness of the skirt looks more like something from the past to me.

For what you're going for, option D is the best choice, but you could probably dress it up a bit by adding higher boots, and leggings.
Maybe a buttoned up version of the jacket?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

Right, starting to feel a bit less poo poo, time to start Inktobering! I'm planning to do costume studies for this year, I've been feeling like it's an area I'm pretty weak on compared to drawing naked peeps.

I love this. Lots of cool textures and shading styles without feeling disjointed or busy.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Inktober train continues.

https://twitter.com/McThrill/status/1179865919725735941?s=20

E: Uh, not sure why it's posting the parent tweet as well. Anyone who's more tech-savvy than me who wants to enlighten me, I would be grateful.

lofi posted:

This is fantastic.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 3, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Congrats! Has it really been 3 years already? It feels like you just started yesterday. Post the first pic you did for comparison!

Thank you! Here's the first drawing I did for comparison (the later versions are linked in that tweet)!

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/782428215516233728

Also I started doing a monster prompt list because it sounded fun and pretty happy with how it's coming out so far.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1179846779556237313
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1179872215963242498

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Hi everyone, long time lurker and have now finally worked up the courage to post something. I went to art school, but years of working corporate after not being able to find work in a creative field drained my motivation to actually make anything for far too long. I would have creative spurts that would lead to maybe one or two pieces before the grind wore me down again. It's been super inspiring looking at all of the art in this thread, so last night made this drawing:

No planning or sketching, just going for it with a pen was so liberating! I'm looking forward to my next one.

heavy liquid posted:

Day 1

Day 2

Love these! Portraiture has always been one of my favorites.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Anyone else got trouble seeing twitter links on firefox? For the past week, I've been seeing a lot of posts with just .. nothing in them and I need to quote the post to see that actually, there's a twitter url link there but also sometimes copy & pasting it doesn't work because twitter hates me and the feeling is mutual. However, this does not mean all twitter links are invisible, just most of them and I don't know what the gently caress.
I obviously thought about this 'cause I was copy-pasting your links, Superfly. The improvement in your dog-art is very visible, looking at the first pic. :3:

At least I got bait done today.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Get dat fish! Day 3 - Bait

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Catching up on inktober. Hopefully this is the impetus I need to make me create more consistently, been in a real create slump lately..
I'm still a day behind, but should get myself all caught up tomorrow.

Day 1

Day 2

Bonus quick pencil sketch at work today:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Day 3 - "Bait"

I tried mixed media paper this time and my brush pen still bled. Gonna try watercolor paper next.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Day 3 - "Bait"

I tried mixed media paper this time and my brush pen still bled. Gonna try watercolor paper next.

I would advise to use bristol board or some other sort of smooth, compressed paper. Watercolor paper is design to soak up the water so you can expect it to bleed as by design.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

I would advise to use bristol board or some other sort of smooth, compressed paper. Watercolor paper is design to soak up the water so you can expect it to bleed as by design.

I used Strathmore Bristol smooth on Day 2 and it still had a bleeding problem with my brush pen.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Franchescanado posted:

I used Strathmore Bristol smooth on Day 2 and it still had a bleeding problem with my brush pen.
What series? Different prices of Strathmore Bristol have wildly different quality.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Keetron posted:

Water color paper is pretty much the gold-standard for wet media papers. A heavier weight (200lb-ish) hot-press water color paper is great for simple ink washes, and really doesn't bleed much. Cold and rough press work fine as well, but they have some texture and some artists don't like it. Really all papers bleed to some degree, it's the nature of the material. Smooth Bristol is actually generally not super great for wet media. It tends to distort easily and the water tends to pool on the surface. Vellum Bristol is decent with wet media to some degree, unless you get a very heavy multiple ply version. At that point though watercolor paper or illustration board are also highly recommended alternatives.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Keetron posted:

Watercolor paper is design to soak up the water so you can expect it to bleed as by design.
Good* watercolor paper has gelatin sizing. A good piece of watercolor paper will allow the water to sit in place or to flow, depending on whether you pre-wet the surface. It shouldn't bleed.

*good watercolor paper is 100% cotton, bad watercolor paper has varying levels of cellulose content that make it swell and do other crappy things.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I started inktober a day late but I'm not gonna let that stop me:

(And sorry for the terrible phone pictures, I don't have a working scanner at the moment)

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
If all you're doing is ink pen, cheap bulk printer paper is actually great 'cause it's super smooth. You're very much limited with your pens though, the bigger marker-kind will still bleed on printer paper (I don't know if this has something to do with whether or not the ink is alcohol-based? some pens are just made to bleed :shrug: ) but if you stick to small pens or classic dip pens, it's great. Oh, also you can't do like any washes and also no big areas of ink or the paper will curl up in pain.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Sharpest Crayon posted:

If all you're doing is ink pen, cheap bulk printer paper is actually great 'cause it's super smooth. You're very much limited with your pens though, the bigger marker-kind will still bleed on printer paper (I don't know if this has something to do with whether or not the ink is alcohol-based? some pens are just made to bleed :shrug: ) but if you stick to small pens or classic dip pens, it's great. Oh, also you can't do like any washes and also no big areas of ink or the paper will curl up in pain.

Yeah if it's an alcohol ink you can pretty much guarantee it's going to bleed through

fishdinner
Jul 26, 2019

$5.99 Chips Extra

Ahahaha holy poo poo that's amazing and horrible and I love it.

Today's theme is Freeze.
https://twitter.com/NelsBenson/status/1180123832763506688

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

dog nougat posted:

Water color paper is pretty much the gold-standard for wet media papers. A heavier weight (200lb-ish) hot-press water color paper is great for simple ink washes, and really doesn't bleed much. Cold and rough press work fine as well, but they have some texture and some artists don't like it. Really all papers bleed to some degree, it's the nature of the material. Smooth Bristol is actually generally not super great for wet media. It tends to distort easily and the water tends to pool on the surface. Vellum Bristol is decent with wet media to some degree, unless you get a very heavy multiple ply version. At that point though watercolor paper or illustration board are also highly recommended alternatives.

Neon Noodle posted:

Good* watercolor paper has gelatin sizing. A good piece of watercolor paper will allow the water to sit in place or to flow, depending on whether you pre-wet the surface. It shouldn't bleed.

*good watercolor paper is 100% cotton, bad watercolor paper has varying levels of cellulose content that make it swell and do other crappy things.

Huh, seems I know less than I thought I did. I will try all this after inktober is over.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Neon Noodle posted:

What series? Different prices of Strathmore Bristol have wildly different quality.

Yeah this seems weird. All of my ink drawings are on 300 series (the cheapest, yellow cover) and I've never had bleed like that, even with my brush pen (though I don't do wet-on-wet, maybe that makes a difference)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah this seems weird. All of my ink drawings are on 300 series (the cheapest, yellow cover) and I've never had bleed like that, even with my brush pen (though I don't do wet-on-wet, maybe that makes a difference)

That's what I used for Day 3 - "Bait". My Pentel Arts Pocket Brush pen bled when I did the outline of the worm. I pretty much only used it for that outline and then did the rest with my UniPens and did the wash with Yasutomo Sumi Ink diluted with water. The latter were fine, but the Pentel brush pen bled.

Look how fuzzy it looks from the bleeding.

Keetron posted:

Huh, seems I know less than I thought I did. I will try all this after inktober is over.

Yeah, I use ink most of my pieces on watercolor and have never had an issue with bleeding like I have with these pieces. I never use Bristol paper because it buckles immediately with wet media, but this pad of Strathmore Bristol 300 series has been sitting on my shelf for over a year now unused, which is why I wanted to try it with these ink pieces.