Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Holy poo poo, "I know it's dumb and racist but I agree with it anyway why are you mad?" is a hell of a take

https://twitter.com/abcpoppins/status/1180093463221723141

EDIT: Cat tax

Niric fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You're just too classic to understand.

Might be a bit lovely joke to make but nvm, it's TERFs

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

This is pretty crazy, I guess the shopping centres will just try and charge their other tenants( in weaker negotiating positions) more.

A new variety of lib dem chart:
https://twitter.com/FoxDefeated/status/1180098926592086017?s=19

0/10 posadism is missing

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Niric posted:

Holy poo poo, "I know it's dumb and racist but I agree with it anyway why are you mad?" is a hell of a take

https://twitter.com/abcpoppins/status/1180093463221723141

Clearly you don't understand politics niric and are resorting to tribalism please refer to this jpg I made that says "the left are the real racists".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

0/10 posadism is missing

Obviously posadism goes in the center of the ring, being the perfect and final synthesis of political thought.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XNa1mx5dQw

John McDonnell on Rory Stewart

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Niric posted:

This is pretty interesting. I know John Lewis's situation isn't at all comparable to the UK housing market, but if some housing charity are quick and canny they could jump in here to wrangle a bit of PR/funding from them on a All Landlords are Bastards platform.

John Lewis to withhold 20% of service fees to some landlords

So they’ve decided they don’t want to pay their fair share of the costs incurred by the shopping centres to maintain and run said shopping centres? A shopping centres lights don’t just stay on by magic and the staff (security, cleaning, maintenance, marketing, HR etc) don’t work for the love of the job.

I’ve decided I’m a bit broke this month so I’m not paying my council tax. But I still want my bins emptied. I wonder what my council will make of that.....

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Also postmodernism is something only the fash care about and just means Jews

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Crystal Feminism, New Feminism, Diet Feminism, Feminism Zero.

I’m the short-lived Feminism Life.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Bit late, but:

More-or-less the American rght to work except only for two years.

e: And it's since 2012.

A small point but right-to-work is a raft of anti-union measures (including no closed shops, non-members get the benefits of collective bargaining agreements, etc). For some reason (possibly the wonderfully Orwellian name) this often gets confused with "at-will employment", which is the "you can be fired at any time for any reason or no reason" thing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Also postmodernism is something only the fash care about and just means Jews

no it's a real identifiable school of thought op

when the fash say postmodernism they actually mean 'all critical theory'

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

This is pretty crazy, I guess the shopping centres will just try and charge their other tenants( in weaker negotiating positions) more.

A new variety of lib dem chart:
https://twitter.com/FoxDefeated/status/1180098926592086017?s=19

I'm confused. Where the heck did Islamism come from in that?

E: Wait what, male chauvinism? What the heck is going on here

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TheRat posted:

That's the incel/MRA strand of the alt-right

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A small point but right-to-work is a raft of anti-union measures (including no closed shops, non-members get the benefits of collective bargaining agreements, etc). For some reason (possibly the wonderfully Orwellian name) this often gets confused with "at-will employment", which is the "you can be fired at any time for any reason or no reason" thing.
'Will' in the Nietzschean sense of the word.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TheRat posted:

Didn't you know? All muslims are far-right terrorists, obviously

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

TheRat posted:

It's great cause on top of being transphobic, islamophobic and antisemitic it completely undermines its own point.
Anarchism and islamism are entirely different ideologies and don't really even approach each other so even in the insane world of that diagrams creator its better expressed as two directions moving away from each other. Same with male chauvinism and third wave feminism.

ThomasPaine posted:

I've never seen a fash have any idea what critical theory is, I've only ever seen them use postmodernism to mean cultural Marxism to mean judeo bolshivism

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

which they use to mean Jews

it always comes back to anti-Semitism with these cunts

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

which they use to mean Jews

it always comes back to anti-Semitism with these cunts

now now, sometimes they mean other minorities that they hate

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh I didn't know that! You often hear "right-to-work state" and such even in American discussions about at-will employment, so it never occurred to me that the two are different.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ms Fuchi posted:

Yes, in fact I've recently seen someone say that Sadiq Khan isn't actually a Labour bod but is only pretending to be progressive and is backed by shadowy & Conservative Muslims!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

duckmaster posted:

So they’ve decided they don’t want to pay their fair share of the costs incurred by the shopping centres to maintain and run said shopping centres? A shopping centres lights don’t just stay on by magic and the staff (security, cleaning, maintenance, marketing, HR etc) don’t work for the love of the job.

I’ve decided I’m a bit broke this month so I’m not paying my council tax. But I still want my bins emptied. I wonder what my council will make of that.....

It's a 20% rise in three years, it is absolute naked greed and they are right to fight it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I agree. What I'm saying is that postmodernism is a real thing (though postmodernists would probably disagree because they're like that), but that when fash use the word it's completely divorced from the reality of the tradition and, yes, is used as a dog whistle.

Also you don't need to know what critical theory is to instinctively dismiss it, hence the populist right's consistent anti-intellectualism, particularly towards the humanities and social sciences

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Fuchi posted:

tbf there's a difference between Islam and Islamism. There's lots of Muslims, especially in the West, who keep full separation of their faith and their politics, and to not differentiate Islam and Islamism plays into the whole "when they hit 15% we get sharia law" poo poo.

otoh there's a huge variety of different strains of Islamism. Islamic democracy is a type of Islamism, often with a focus on Shura (nothing about us without us). Sticking it all to the right of conservatism or whatever is usually Islamophobic and always really dumb, and putting it to the right of fascism is lol.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I agree. What I'm saying is that postmodernism is a real thing (though postmodernists would probably disagree because they're like that), but that when fash use the word it's completely divorced from the reality of the tradition and, yes, is used as a dog whistle.

Also you don't need to know what critical theory is to instinctively dismiss it, hence the populist right's consistent anti-intellectualism, particularly towards the humanities and social sciences

Sure, but in relation to that diagram it's pretty clearly done by someone who is using it as a dog whistle since like half of the labels and their placement are dogwhistles.

As an aside it is v v funny that the lady who posted that is so ill informed about modern politics that I doubt she has any idea at all what it tells an informed person about the politics of the author. I.e. Theyr a transphobic right wing racist.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Puntification posted:

Clearly you don't understand politics niric and are resorting to tribalism please refer to this jpg I made that says "the left are the real racists".

Take it up with the resource that produced my post :smuggo:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Sure I was responding to the statement 'postmodernism is something only the fash care about', we're on the same page.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Sure I was responding to the statement 'postmodernism is something only the fash care about', we're on the same page.

[extremely marxist voice] we should reject post-modernism regardless

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
[extremely post modern neo marxist voice] lobsters are the chaos dragons of the sea

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

duckmaster posted:

what if the charges aren't fair though :thunk:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

duckmaster posted:

It probably didn’t get 20% more expensive to do all that stuff in the last couple of months what with the economy being in the shitter though. And John Lewis is an actual business and does things, instead of just owning land and sucking up other people’s money as a result.

Like, honestly, a lot of the most pressing problems with capitalism are specifically problems of land ownership and rent.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Oh I didn't know that! You often hear "right-to-work state" and such even in American discussions about at-will employment, so it never occurred to me that the two are different.

TBF they often go hand-in-hand, because any state with legislators dickish enough to do one is likely to do the other.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Who does care about it these days other than fash? Genuinely only ever heard them talk about it or possibly in an art context. Academics?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

LMAO Liz Webster actually has brainspiders in her username

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

duckmaster posted:

You are assuming the charges are fair and the landlords aren't millionaires wanting more profit for themselves which is a far more likely prospect than them giving a poo poo about their minimum wage security guards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Who does care about it these days other than fash? Genuinely only ever heard them talk about it or possibly in an art context. Academics?

"Intellectual" wanks who are way too invested in classic literature.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Wachter posted:

LMAO Liz Webster actually has brainspiders in her username

I thought this was a pun on being a webster for a sec and I really liked it :dadjoke:

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

The point is the fash don't really care about it at all. For them its just something bad smelly academics refuting Freud, objectivity and cohesion came up with. There's still plenty of academics using it, but the fash's inherent anti-intellectualism just sees it as bad for being intellectual, but doubly bad as it freed a lot of things from constraints.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

njsykora posted:

classic literature
Is that like classic feminism?

Does that mean that postmodern feminism is feminism with an unreliable narrator and then halfway through you find out that it's you who is the female?

No wonder Jordan Penistone is so terrified of it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

willie_dee posted:

You are assuming the charges are fair and the landlords aren't millionaires wanting more profit for themselves which is a far more likely prospect than them giving a poo poo about their minimum wage security guards.

Specifically big commercial leases will tend to have rent increases heavily capped, so commercial landlords will jack the service charges up instead because they think they deserve the same profit margins as residential landlords. This, and not the internet, is what's killing high streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

He never describes himself as a postmodernist but Foucault basically was and is still super influential in history and is extremely bad

So yes, academics basically.