Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Yep time for the Gorsuch/Kavanaugh fuckery to pay off. :smithcloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Funny, I though the regressive's would be fine with that message considering that they've been all about 'Save my planet, gently caress over the children' and that's only a step or two further.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Where in the constitution does it say I can’t eat babies? That’s inflicting on my freedoms as an American citizen

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Surprise, surprise, 86-year-old woman who is given a lifetime appointment and makes friends of conservative justices is not, in fact, a leftist crusader.

The Supreme Court doesn't lend itself well to radicalization; the judges on it have absolutely nothing to fear in terms of political pressure.

You guys needs some better goddamn reasons to throw Ginsburg under the bus as not pure enough

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i guess you missed her takes on black lives matter and athletes kneeling.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

You guys needs some better goddamn reasons to throw Ginsburg under the bus as not pure enough

...I wasn't? I don't dislike Ginsburg; I just don't think lionizing her as some sort of leftist crusader was ever grounded in reality. She's old, and with age comes certain brain poisons.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tired: Pack the court because of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.

Wired: pack the court because of RBG and Kagan.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

i guess you missed her takes on black lives matter and athletes kneeling.

She's done more to make the world a better place than anyone in this thread ever will, but her opinions aren't always right, which is the endgame of morality

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Slowpoke! posted:

Yeah they expected 145,000 and no change to unemployment. 136,000 isn’t going to ease fears of recession.

We are long past the point of caring about the government’s unemployment figures. I would suggest anyone who doesn’t know about the difference between U-3 and U-6 unemployment rates to read up on why using U3 data misrepresents what is really happening out there, especially with the rise of the gig economy.

For the lazy, here's a link to a primer in this topic. I'm not versed in the subject so I can't vouch for the completeness of their writing or any biases in the article, but it seems like a good start.

https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-the-real-unemployment-rate-3306198

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

theflyingorc posted:

She's done more to make the world a better place than anyone in this thread ever will, but her opinions aren't always right, which is the endgame of morality

And she’s so sassy!

Notorious RBG!!!!!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I just don't think lionizing her as some sort of leftist crusader was ever grounded in reality.

Even this is out of touch and incorrect. Her written opinions routinely spit fire at the opposition, and you are mad at her for not saying enough mean things in public about conservative justices.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and she could've retired and ensured a younger and even better justice than her was on the court for most of the rest of our lives and didn't.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
To be fair I don't think the default progressive strategy has been "well conservatives are gonna outright cheat and block any progressive court appointees so I better do THIS"

although yes it should be going forward

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

and she could've retired and ensured a younger and even better justice than her was on the court for most of the rest of our lives and didn't.

this was inexcusable and even if it doesn't wind up being an issue, it was a risk that should not have been run

Flesh Forge posted:

To be fair I don't think the default progressive strategy has been "well conservatives are gonna outright cheat and block any progressive court appointees so I better do THIS"

although yes it should be going forward

People wanted her to retire after 2012 precisely out of fear of a Republican senate doing exactly what Mitch did with Garland (the worry was 2014-2016, or in the future). It was eminently forseeable Mitch would do that with a vacancy and she'd had health scares before.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, it was a mistake. Everything might still work out fine with that, let's see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why do you think Obama would have nominated a better judge rather than just a younger one?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

evilweasel posted:

this was inexcusable and even if it doesn't wind up being an issue, it was a risk that should not have been run

People wanted her to retire after 2012 precisely out of fear of a Republican senate doing exactly what Mitch did with Garland. It was eminently forseeable.

Agreed. She was in her 80s when Obama's last term started and had had two cancer scares already. Retire and write some books or something.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is wishful thinking. Obama was so obsessed with pleasing Conservatives that even if she had stepped down on his inauguration day in 2009 (when Dems held both houses of Congress AND the White House), he would've nominated some milquetoast center-left justice.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rigel posted:

Even this is out of touch and incorrect. Her written opinions routinely spit fire at the opposition, and you are mad at her for not saying enough mean things in public about conservative justices.

Hillary Clinton routinely spits fire at conservatives.

That doesn't make her a good representative or guardian of leftist causes.

Again: this isn't me saying I dislike Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I think she is, overall, very good at her job and she was an excellent choice for the Court. But her age carries with it certain prejudices and predilections for thought patterns that don't lend themselves well to modern leftist thought in a lot of ways.

Mahoning posted:

This is wishful thinking. Obama was so obsessed with pleasing Conservatives that even if she had stepped down on his inauguration day in 2009, he would've nominated some milquetoast center-left justice.

...except we got Sonia Sotomayor, who is really not that?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
There are a lot of people who have a basically saint-like image of Ginsburg, which runs the risk of them internalizing her sometimes genuinely bad ideas. This is the case with a lot of liberal heroes! It's good to disabuse people of those images lest they adopt those poo poo opinions themselves.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

"And we'd like you to continue to do the same for us by not saying anything about Hong Kong. Thanks, byyyyeeeee!"

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

You could have said that about a lot of justices in recent times. Thurgood Marshall and Brennan come to mind.

If you actually like the law, being a SCOTUS justice is a dream job. I can’t blame anyone for resisting letting go of it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Why do you think Obama would have nominated a better judge rather than just a younger one?

Saying "better" was probably a mistake, but the reality is that the difference between her and a likely Obama appointee (while he had a Democratic senate) would have been miniscule compared to the risk of a conservative.

Mahoning posted:

This is wishful thinking. Obama was so obsessed with pleasing Conservatives that even if she had stepped down on his inauguration day in 2009 (when Dems held both houses of Congress AND the White House), he would've nominated some milquetoast center-left justice.

how do you come up with some idiot take like this without remembering that obama appointed two supreme court justices with a democratic senate

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Edit: nm

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Republicans were even musing about never confirming Hillary's judge's anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

because he put by far the best justice on the court:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Sotomayor

also kagan isn't right of ginsburg.

Brony Car posted:

You could have said that about a lot of justices in recent times. Thurgood Marshall and Brennan come to mind.

If you actually like the law, being a SCOTUS justice is a dream job. I can’t blame anyone for resisting letting go of it.

marshall retired under a democratic senate it's not his fault enough voted for thomas. he also would've had to retire under carter.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 4, 2019

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
We shouldn’t have lifetime appointments because of weird poo poo like what we are discussing.

We shouldn’t be asking judges to time their retirements based on a formula of how likely they are to die before the next conservative or liberal president is elected. That is just weird and it undermines the independence of the Supreme Court.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1180127236957052930 hillary... is right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Hillary Clinton routinely spits fire at conservatives.

That doesn't make her a good representative or guardian of leftist causes.

Again: this isn't me saying I dislike Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I think she is, overall, very good at her job and she was an excellent choice for the Court. But her age carries with it certain prejudices and predilections for thought patterns that don't lend themselves well to modern leftist thought in a lot of ways.

...except we got Sonia Sotomayor, who is really not that?

Hillary has literally never “spit fire”

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

how do you come up with some idiot take like this without remembering that obama appointed two supreme court justices with a democratic senate

Neither Kagan or Sotomayer are "better" than RBG, which was the claim I had an issue with. They are both to the right of RBG.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The real question is can AOC be a supreme court justice, Senator, and President all at the same time?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

A) his judges pre Garland were actually both pretty solid

B) literally anyone on the lib side of things who doesn't give the nation constant panic attacks when they sneeze would be 'better' with the way the court actually works

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BREAKING: Hillary Clinton spotted at National Archives attempting to shred US constitution.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

hmm, not a hillary quote, so no

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mahoning posted:

Neither Kagan or Sotomayer are "better" than RBG, which was the claim I had an issue with. They are both to the right of RBG.

neither Kagan or Sotomayor are "some milquetoast center-left justice" so we can toss the "durr obummer wanted to please republicans so much" in the garbage with other stupid takes that forgot the existence of observable reality.

edit: you can quibble around the edges with either of them on a handful of decisions but sotomayor, in particular, is as left or more left than ginsburg. kagan is a little to the right but, in the context of the current supreme court, not enough to matter much

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 4, 2019

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Gore Vidal had many bad ideas, but he often said that our country needed to engage in more constitutional reforms or amendments and I think he was right in that respect. The fact that originalist thinkers have such massive influence on the application of our laws is ridiculous. It’s a built-in limit on the adaptability of our government.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fallom posted:

Hillary has literally never “spit fire”

:psyduck: the one thing Hillary Clinton was ever good at was attacking conservatives, at least when she put effort into it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

bobjr posted:

Where in the constitution does it say I can’t eat babies? That’s inflicting on my freedoms as an American citizen

This baby's onesie has yellow fringe, which denotes that it is subject maritime law which has no explicit restrictions on eating babies, ergo I am allowed to eat it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Slowpoke! posted:

We shouldn’t have lifetime appointments because of weird poo poo like what we are discussing.

We shouldn’t be asking judges to time their retirements based on a formula of how likely they are to die before the next conservative or liberal president is elected. That is just weird and it undermines the independence of the Supreme Court.

Yeah. Should be an easy thing to tweak to work better...

...wait, no, I'm being told it's literally impossible to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Brony Car posted:

Gore Vidal had many bad ideas, but he often said that our country needed to engage in more constitutional reforms or amendments and I think he was right in that respect. The fact that originalist thinkers have such massive influence on the application of our laws is ridiculous. It’s a built-in limit on the adaptability of our government.

the major problem with originalism is that it isn't. it's just reactionaries wanting to give their opinions a veneer of objectively even if their decisions actually clash with original intent. look at how scalia voted on heller for a stark example of that.