Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Starks posted:

They are Syrian refugees so it’s really not difficult to see why PPC represents an existential threat. Also they own a tiny restaurant on queen street, the profits of which are likely eaten up by rent, not exactly talking about robber barons here.

I didn't see anything about them being refugees, just that they came here from Syria. The restaurant looks super good and I'd like to go grab a bite there. The owner seems like a great guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Québec/Windsor corridor is 20 million people with the population density of France, let's not tell ourselves stories about how well we're doing considering our population.

I didn’t?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Entropic posted:

Is there a more charitable way to translate “ressemble” that doesn’t connote “looks like” in a visual way? Cause that line looks pretty yikes to me but I’m hoping it’s just my bad French.

The best you can do is "are like you" or "are similar to you". FWIW, I heard it as "looks like you", and I was texting a friend immediately as it happened who also had the same reaction.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Hey Rime, you single? Might want to plan a slightly bigger log cabbin so you'll have some space for the future Ms Rime:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Helsing posted:

Hey Rime, you single? Might want to plan a slightly bigger log cabbin so you'll have some space for the future Ms Rime:

Is that one of the women that attacked that pipeline?

They’re doing god’s loving work and I’m sorry that they’re going to be made an example of.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Entropic posted:

Is there a more charitable way to translate “ressemble” that doesn’t connote “looks like” in a visual way? Cause that line looks pretty yikes to me but I’m hoping it’s just my bad French.

I'm pretty sure the meaning is effectively unchanged no matter how literally you translate that line.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is that one of the women that attacked that pipeline?

They’re doing god’s loving work and I’m sorry that they’re going to be made an example of.

It's a woman who started screaming about having to eat babies to avoid the climate crisis.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Postess with the Mostest posted:

They could join China then lecture us about our emissions per capita.

Emissions per capita is still the actual metric. You don't solve china's emissions problem by dividing it up in to a bunch of smaller states. The fact is that a canadian uses 125 pounds of CO2 equivalent emissions to live for a day, and a chinese person uses 50. Now, china's rapid growth is troubling, but if china's doing poorly, then what are we doing?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
He's trying to dance around the phrase "Vote for white (francophoneQuebecois) people". This timeline is poo poo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

infernal machines posted:

I'm pretty sure the meaning is effectively unchanged no matter how literally you translate that line.

It's a woman who started screaming about having to eat babies to avoid the climate crisis.

It’s a somewhat immodest proposal but I’m willing to hear her out on it

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If we’re talking about the screaming lady at the AOC event didn’t she turn out to be a plant from some pro-Trump org?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Entropic posted:

If we’re talking about the screaming lady at the AOC event didn’t she turn out to be a plant from some pro-Trump org?

Yeah.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Entropic posted:

Yup. A follower of the fabulous Lyndon LaRouche.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Avoid facebook if you live in Ontario today. Holy gently caress are there a lot of idiots that 1 - think its the teachers on strike and 2 - are super loving ignorant about what support staff does and why its important. Also had some fuckface I promptly deleted who thinks we need to go back to the 1950s model of not even trying to support or teach special needs kids.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MA-Horus posted:

Yup. A follower of the fabulous Lyndon LaRouche.

lol, not just loony, old-school loony

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://www.lapresse.ca/elections-federales/201910/03/01-5243931-une-declaration-dyves-francois-blanchet-percue-comme-raciste.php

:dogwhistle: Yves-François Blanchet racheting up the heat, flanking CPC/PPC from the right.

e: this is straight up Old Stock Canadian language

Naw, it's just the same old Quebec nationalist stance, "us vs them", where "them" is the ROC. It just sounds even more sinister now that there's a significant political presence of "us vs them" against immigrants and minorities now.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Dr. Stab posted:

Emissions per capita is still the actual metric. You don't solve china's emissions problem by dividing it up in to a bunch of smaller states. The fact is that a canadian uses 125 pounds of CO2 equivalent emissions to live for a day, and a chinese person uses 50. Now, china's rapid growth is troubling, but if china's doing poorly, then what are we doing?

Disagree. Mother Nature doesn't care about per capita, just total.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Canada is 40 million people spread across a land mass the size of Russia so looking at population density and the impact travel distances have on the expulsion of carbon we’re doing a pretty good job punching well above our weight in terms of pollution

Canada is ~58% the size of Russia. :eng101:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Disagree. Mother Nature doesn't care about per capita, just total.

Mother nature also doesn't care about where the country borders are. If you want to look at the globe as a whole, you want to ask "who are outputting the most?" If you're just looking at total output for whatever region, depending on how you divide the map, you get different answers about who the worst offenders are. If you look at per capita, you get more precise answers depending on how finely you divide the map.

If we just look at emissions per country and not per capita we get insane answers like "kuwait is outrageously better that India for ghg emissions"

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I know capitalism is evil because 50 years ago Rime would be preaching on a street corner but instead he has affordable internet and a forum account.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

just another posted:

I know capitalism is evil because 50 years ago Rime would be preaching on a street corner but instead he has affordable internet and a forum account.

30 years ago Manic Street Preachers were a very successful band. :colbert:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Based on the recent discussions about climate change I’ll try and personally make some adjustments to my situation.

My family home is already pretty energy efficient. We don’t spend very much on electricity or gas because a small freehold 2BR townhouse with good insulation is pretty cheap to own and run. I don’t really buy new clothes because I’m fine with the ones I got. I go as fair as repairing damage to existing clothing where I can.

I don’t really replace my phone unless I need to and I usually build a new PC every 6-7 years and take the old one to a recycler. With my savings I can probably replace whatever car I own now with either a hybrid or an EV if I stretch my budget. That should significantly slash my long term contributions.

My parents hate cruises but if I know anyone who likes them I’ll talk them out of it. My mom and dad fly once a year to spend 6 months in Eastern Europe where their living costs are lower and despite the flight it’s cheaper for them to do that while I look after their house in their absence than it is to stay here for the full 12 months.

I’ll start donating and volunteering for climate action groups. Does anyone know of any good ones?

I realize all of this is meaningless if everyone else is driving GMC Sierra Denalis around and constantly buying random poo poo but it’s better than nothing. I lack the skills to revert to an agrarian lifestyle without help and quitting my job to live off the land will plunge me into destitution. It’s easier to my community agreed to do this as a whole but that’s not happening.

If Rime is right nothing I do individually is going to matter. But at least if I do something rather than nothing it could encourage more sustainable habits in my community. If I simply give up and live off the land I feel that’s the same as pulling a terminal patient out of hospice care and leaving them to die on the street.

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

just another posted:

I suspect that Rime is the only poster in this thread who has done any research at all on climate change and the degredation of the environment in this entire thread in the last few years. He's most likely literally the only person here posting with an informed opinion.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

vincentpricesboner posted:

Avoid facebook if you live in Ontario today. Holy gently caress are there a lot of idiots that 1 - think its the teachers on strike and 2 - are super loving ignorant about what support staff does and why its important. Also had some fuckface I promptly deleted who thinks we need to go back to the 1950s model of not even trying to support or teach special needs kids.

Yeah I’ve seen more than a few comments about ‘union brainwashing’ already

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

The Rubberband Man posted:

I suspect that Rime is the only poster in this thread who has done any research at all on climate change and the degredation of the environment in this entire thread in the last few years. He's most likely literally the only person here posting with an informed opinion.

Rime is also known to be incredibly pessimistic on the best of days so the Doom Prophet metaphor is pretty apt.

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sage Grimm posted:

Rime is also known to be incredibly pessimistic on the best of days so the Doom Prophet metaphor is pretty apt.

I guess if you think that the entirely of modern science can be discounted if it points in a direction you don't like then that is a fair thing to say?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
While I haven't spent as much time looking at the scientific arguments I think that Rime is completely correct that our society is incapable of facing the level of disruption that would be required to even try and address the challenges we're facing. He's also likely right that the tepid moves we take toward addressing even part of the problem will trigger intense and possibly violent civil conflicts that will likely consume any remaining attention and energy we might have put into mitigating the disaster.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

eXXon posted:

Cutting down rainforests doesn't actually help Brazil achieve a higher standard of living in any way. You could argue more or less the same about clear-cutting old growth forests but that's also a bad idea and kind of a moot point since they're almost all gone.

This misses the forests for the trees, don't take my word for it, watch the original interview.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Helsing posted:

While I haven't spent as much time looking at the scientific arguments I think that Rime is completely correct that our society is incapable of facing the level of disruption that would be required to even try and address the challenges we're facing. He's also likely right that the tepid moves we take toward addressing even part of the problem will trigger intense and possibly violent civil conflicts that will likely consume any remaining attention and energy we might have put into mitigating the disaster.

Man I didn’t survive cancer, beat mental health issues, overcome a really bad hand with my career challenges and finally eke out a peaceful life just to lose it all to climate change.

Can’t we do something? Anything? I really don’t wanna have to go back into crippling anxious depression because of climate change. . I don’t want it. I fought too drat hard to get out of it just to go back there. There has to be some kind of hope. It can’t all just end. If it’s so guaranteed why aren’t we all just committing mass suicide? Like what’s the point in even living and continuing our lives if it’s just going to end with zero recourse?
Surely we can all at least join some kind of pressure group or launch some kind of movement? If people are truly given a choice between extinction and business as usual won’t there be enough people on our side who can gather the strength needed to make the changes necessary? By force if necessary?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

TheKingofSprings posted:

A friend was asking me about who to vote for in Brandon so I started looking into the recent local politics, and my god there are a lot of people on the ballot, two independents, one PPC (lol), one Christian Heritage (???), then the usual suspects.

The NDP nominee has lived in the city for 2 years and the Liberal has never lived there at all and is a Provincial election washout.

Guess I know what the winner’s victory music is going to be: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tgSG6U4jJTY :sigh:

Rob Eastcott, one of the independents, is insane and in 2016 was found guilty of mischef because he blow up his shed trying to make shatter

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kraftwerk posted:

Can’t we do something? Anything?

Yes. You can ignore it and live your life until it ends, just like everyone else. Go outside, eat something good, climb rocks, get laid, do whatever it is that you would do if the planet weren't dying, the only difference is that you shouldn't have kids.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Yes. You can ignore it and live your life until it ends, just like everyone else. Go outside, eat something good, climb rocks, get laid, do whatever it is that you would do if the planet weren't dying, the only difference is that you shouldn't have kids.

What’s the magic year? 2050? 2030? Like how much time do we have left?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

I'm sure Rime is right about a lot, I just think that it's vitally important we reject the language of defeatism even if it is objectively too late avert disaster.

But I think it's absurd to believe that humanity will go extinct because of anthropocentric climate change. We'll still be wandering the Earth in a thousand years, even if only as hunter-gatherer bands and loosely knit agrarian societies. At worst, we'll revert to the way we lived for the majority of our existence, which is why anyone who thinks that what's happening now is a reason to not have children -- your ancestors weep for you and turn their heads in shame.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

Yeah. While I appreciate the effort people are putting into these big posts of 10-20 point plans detailing the global systemic and radical economic changes that would be required, it just strikes me as fantasy.

The majority of people the world over are simply not willing to reduce their standard of living or stop striving towards a higher standard of living.

Me first/my family unit first is simply human nature. We are naturally lazy. Given the option we will always opt for the most comfortable life possible.

Capitalism isn't going anywhere, which means the only possible solution is going to be one compatible with capitalism more or less as we know it.

Really the only hope I see is large scale geoengineering projects, or breakthrough advances in distributed carbon capture tech. And yes I see the irony of mentioning fantasy before.

But it literally seems more feasible to me that as a species we would rather attempt some potentially incredibly dangerous techofuckery rather than significantly changing our lifestyles.

Our collective back is going to need to get much further to the wall before the risk and cost of such projects start being talked about more seriously though.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2019

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

There isn't one, it'll be different for different areas.

But truth be told there's no point to sadbrain thinking, even if we can't avert collapse totally there's things that can be done to prolong humans/certain ecosystems for long after you and I are dead.

Also have kids. Teach them to fight. Overthrow the bourgeoisie and let the streets run... well clean because there rich will have been eaten.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://election.ctvnews.ca/feds-to-appeal-ruling-ordering-compensation-for-first-nations-children-denied-welfare-services-1.4624397

The feds are appealing the court order that would force them to pay reparations to First Nations people who have been denied welfare services.

For fucks sake.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Liberals gonna lib.

Remember this day when you strategically vote for them.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kraftwerk posted:

Projections are for temperature rise by the year 2100 which, odds are, a few of us might live to even barring medical advances leading to extended longevity. Odds favour kids of anyone posting here making it, if born now or later.

Anyway, barring a catastrophic feedback loop (or a cataclysmic asteroid strike, etc), a couple degrees change by 2100 will lead to a few low-lying places being inundated, coral reefs dying, and maybe limited availability of a few foods... but in practice food will just be slightly more expensive, we're not talking mass starvation because you can substitute crops that are more adapted to higher temperatures, and also as we all know, food waste is rampant and famines are entirely political. We have some slack here.

Unlike the road warrior segment and certain other pessimists, I'm pretty sure that democratic societies can gradually adapt to reduce carbon consumption. Not urgently enough to be net zero any time soon or hit +1.5 or +2.0 targets, but long before we're actually threatened. Witness things like recycling - objectively a lot (not all) of it is a complete waste of time, but people begrudgingly do it because they think they should.

Long story short, the negative effects are hardly going to touch us during our lifetime unless some poo poo we can't actually avoid happens, so don't sweat it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

There is no magic year. Like all other global phenomena, it affects different places in different ways and at different times. It's already happened to some places, and we're adding more every year. Tens of thousands of people are fleeing Central America for the USA because their fields have dried up due to chronic drought. A major cause of the Syrian Civil War and the wave of migration into Europe was drought. Puerto Rico still hasn't been rebuilt since Hurricane Maria, and you can add Grand Bahama and the Abaco Islands to that list from this year's Hurricane Dorian. Wildfires are already wiping out settlements in places like Alberta, BC, and California. As time goes on more places will be added to that list with their wealth destroyed and their population dying or trying to emigrate. Other places will see seasonal or varying effects, like massive heat waves in summer that cause blackouts and kill tens of thousands of people, but then end after two weeks and life returns to relative normalcy. Once rapid climate change really gets going, once we have a blue Arctic and methane releasing from melting permafrost and so on, that list of effects and affected places is just going to keep growing faster than we can rebuild or mitigate its effects, and the result will be a steady grinding down of our wealth and quality of life.

But there's always a chance that the specific place where any one person is living will be relatively untouched. Maybe no hurricane will come and wipe out Hamilton, maybe we'll still be able to grow food in the prairies, and so maybe some of us will get to keep living lives close to what we're used to in developed countries, even as global supply chains collapse and millions of migrants get shot at our borders and we abandon the rest of the world to die for our sins. Or maybe our abandoning the rest of the world means India runs out of water and gets in a nuclear exchange with Pakistan and we all die that way.

Climate change is a giant roll of the dice where some people have already died because of it, other people are currently dying because of it, and many of us will die from it in the future, but what that looks like for each person or each city or each country, and when you reach the tipping point where you give up all hope of ever living a normal life again, is more random and circumstantial, with a heavy bias towards "the more years have passed, the worse things will get for more people" and "the poorer and more marginalized you are now, the more likely you are to be among the earlier victims".

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

since we "love" talking about amber alerts itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Ek1nWndTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

Projections are for temperature rise by the year 2100 which, odds are, a few of us might live to even barring medical advances leading to extended longevity. Odds favour kids of anyone posting here making it, if born now or later.

Anyway, barring a catastrophic feedback loop (or a cataclysmic asteroid strike, etc), a couple degrees change by 2100 will lead to a few low-lying places being inundated, coral reefs dying, and maybe limited availability of a few foods... but in practice food will just be slightly more expensive, we're not talking mass starvation because you can substitute crops that are more adapted to higher temperatures, and also as we all know, food waste is rampant and famines are entirely political. We have some slack here.

Unlike the road warrior segment and certain other pessimists, I'm pretty sure that democratic societies can gradually adapt to reduce carbon consumption. Not urgently enough to be net zero any time soon or hit +1.5 or +2.0 targets, but long before we're actually threatened. Witness things like recycling - objectively a lot (not all) of it is a complete waste of time, but people begrudgingly do it because they think they should.

Long story short, the negative effects are hardly going to touch us during our lifetime unless some poo poo we can't actually avoid happens, so don't sweat it.

You don't know what you're talking about. New projections from last month that take into account feedback loops that weren't included in older IPCC projections have us hitting 2C by 2030, 4C by mid-century, and 7C by 2100, without drastic action starting yesterday. At 4C projections say the Earth can support 1 billion people, so what do you think is going to happen to the other 7 billion?