Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

a guy who can't crack double digits outraising the frontrunner is hilarious.

It's an investment in someone they expect to be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Shbobdb posted:

$48.33 per donor, which is more important.

Looks like Sanders didn't release a donor count, just a donation count (bullshit metric). So unfortunately, can't compare this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Wow Anand is really upset he was in that video and on an extended Twitter rant. To be fair he shouldn't be in that video, he talks about much the same things as Bernie and in that interview clip was actually defending him, but he's super mad about it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Wow Anand is really upset he was in that video and on an extended Twitter rant. To be fair he shouldn't be in that video, he talks about much the same things as Bernie and in that interview clip was actually defending him, but he's super mad about it

i did think it was odd he was in there.

Oh Snapple! posted:

pete is 5'8". he will never be president.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Looks like Sanders didn't release a donor count, just a donation count (bullshit metric). So unfortunately, can't compare this.

Bernie is backed by Soros and other ultra-wealthy globalists. Sure, he averages $27/donation but it's just a small circle jerk of the party's leftmost rump and a few wealthy backers. Buttman probably has more individual donors.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

E: nm

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Oh Snapple! posted:

Even if he eats poo poo, we're talking what? A percentage of a percent of your income to back someone who, though unlikely, will return that investment a thousandfold at least. It's not a bad place to put your money if you're rich.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZhkKATtqtU

Just set up a recurring monthly donation to Bernie.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KingNastidon posted:

third place in likely voters for democratic primary behind two candidates ppl consider irredeemable centrist ghouls doesn't seem to be building a popular movement

Psssst - that's not what a "movement candidate" means.:ssh:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
why would they give this to virgin and not literally anyone else?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cargo cult posted:

Because Virgil is the best non-Amber Chapo, duh.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

cargo cult posted:

he's the one who owns a blazer

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Berke Negri posted:

that bernie can elicit such devoted support is definitely a strong political point of his that most outlets don't give enough credit to (instead framing it as a downside)

that is if his heart can keep up

lord knows i have my doubts if my own can during this election cycle
We’ll stuff you full of sawdust and shove a hand up your rear end like a muppet, too. We need all the posts we can get.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

will's the best interviewer but they've had virgil do several (or maybe all?) of the candidate interviews.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Right. Bernie SuperPacs actually pay individuals to donate repeatedly in small amounts, to artificially drive down the average donation

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

will's the best interviewer but they've had virgil do several (or maybe all?) of the candidate interviews.

virgil has a case of wonk-brain. if they're interviewing anyone from the commentarysphere will's the better choice, but the second you take politics past new yorkers gossiping about each other's takes, treats, and opinions on how swiftly the palestinians should be expunged from the surface from the earth he gets out of his depth.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

We’ll stuff you full of sawdust and shove a hand up your rear end like a muppet, too. We need all the posts we can get.

someone get me the latin for Through Posting, Victory and I'm Not Mad, You're Mad, we got a coat of arms brewing here

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

someone get me the latin for Through Posting, Victory and I'm Not Mad, You're Mad, we got a coat of arms brewing here

Closest I could get thinking "spirit" not "literal" translations:

sī sint molliculī ac parum pudīcī
et quod prūriat incitāre possunt
nōn dīcō puerīs, sed hīs pilōsīs

and (et, for you latin scholars)

Pēdīcābō ego vōs et irrumābō

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

cargo cult posted:

Felix would just spend the twenty minutes getting high with Bernie. Obviously that's the first choice but the campaign probably turned it down. Will's a good choice as well but, as already pointed out, he doesn't own a blazer. Matt's a bit of a wild card ranging from a great interview that gets Bernie an extra 10% in the national polls and 20% in all the early states, to melting down during the interview about conspiracy theory poo poo and stroking out. So that leaves Virgil.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

virgil has a case of wonk-brain. if they're interviewing anyone from the commentarysphere will's the better choice, but the second you take politics past new yorkers gossiping about each other's takes, treats, and opinions on how swiftly the palestinians should be expunged from the surface from the earth he gets out of his depth.

Plus Virgil got Tulsi to admit that she's not anti-imperialism at all, so, ya know. Give the dude some credit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1179936567919554560

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

lot of virgil hate in this thread what the gently caress

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ranter posted:

He’ll really enjoy having a third house!!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KingNastidon posted:

third place in likely voters for democratic primary behind two candidates ppl consider irredeemable centrist ghouls doesn't seem to be building a popular movement

Popular movements do not require (and pretty much never involve) an actual majority of the population. Simply having millions of people actively working for a cause is sufficient to be a large popular movement capable of causing change. You could use your same logic to argue that pretty much every historical movement was not actually a "popular movement."

You come off as deeply ignorant here. It is very obvious that you're trying to reverse engineer some sort of logic against people you disagree with for reasons that are fundamentally illogical.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Popular movements do not require (and pretty much never involve) an actual majority of the population. Simply having millions of people actively working for a cause is sufficient to be a large popular movement capable of causing change. You could use your same logic to argue that pretty much every historical movement was not actually a "popular movement."

You come off as deeply ignorant here. It is very obvious that you're trying to reverse engineer some sort of logic against people you disagree with for reasons that are fundamentally illogical.

to multiply bastardize upton sinclair, you can get a lot of people on board with less human thumbs in hamburger, but the mortician working next-door to the slaughterhouse is always going to be a tough sell.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Barry Foster posted:

Brexit pretty infamously had nothing to do with parliament, it was a referendum

Parliamentary systems have their own issues, but Brexit is categorically not one of them

The parliamentary system has absolutely failed the Brexit process. Why would anyone think it is something we should be shooting for?

Craptacular! posted:

Yes? Big shifts are great, but incremental change is not the enemy.

Like from my experience in gay rights, I was pleased my state began recognizing us as fully equal persons before the big change came, because while it’s cool that battle at the federal levelwas won I would not want to bet the total outcome on the court case. The incremental patchwork of states adopting their own legislation didn’t get in the way of the SCOTUS case and in fact would have helped prevent some people’s lives from being ruined if Anthony Kennedy decided it was Defy All Expectations Day.

I’ve mentioned before that my own access to health care was improved by ACA, and of course I understand for many people it’s worse (we all agreed as much when we discussed it a decade ago) and I still support full single payer, but I don’t think ACA has made it seem less possible. If anything, it lit a fire under some people who previously were blindly accepting truisms about what can and can’t be done in America.

Incrementalism does not work and gay rights weren't a product of it. They were a product of activists accepting nothing less. ACA was and is a boondoggle, even if your personal medical care was improved by it. It doesn't work.

Supporting incrementalists is a bit like supporting the person in your work group who does the least work.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 4, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just as a reminder of how different the donor environment is for the front runners from 2016

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1180182822377676800

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Some good news for Harris!

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1179862272774201346

...maybe hiring Clinton's team of fuckups was a bad idea in retrospect.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Kamala Harris has negative charisma, even worse than Hillary. I don't like any of the non-Bernie candidates but most of them (including Trump) have some ability to engage a crowd.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mind_Taker posted:

Kamala Harris has negative charisma, even worse than Hillary. I don't like any of the non-Bernie candidates but most of them (including Trump) have some ability to engage a crowd.

My dog won't stop barking and I don't know why.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

KingNastidon posted:

Not the question I asked and intentional misrepresentation of 85%/15% likelihood of winning EV total vs. absolute percentage error in national/state popular vote relative to polling.
Only idiots pay any attention to national polls. Like campaign managers and people pretending to be campaign managers have a reason to care about state polling, but national polling is pure propaganda. It's taking possibly useful information and then blending it in a way that destroys any utility it might have had.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

My dog won't stop barking and I don't know why.

seriously, kamala got so much applause and cheers when she laughed about imprisoning mothers of truant children

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The fundraising numbers and MSM imply to me:

- Biden go home
- Everyone below Booker go home
- Yang go home too because even if you raise $100M in Q4 we won't acknowledge you

Consensus?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yang adds something different to the conversation. It's weird and wrong but weird and wrong in a distinct way that creates interesting possibilities. Contrast that with the legion of nearly identical centrist clones lining up to replace Biden when he falls.

The candidates are: Bernie, Warren, Williamson, <indistinguishable centrist mass>, Yang, , <indistinguishable billionaire vanity runs>.

Editing to more accurately represent the spectrum.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 4, 2019

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Ranter posted:

Didn't take long for someone in the media to take offense to the video.

https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/status/1180138673142190080?s=20

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Luckyellow posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/yashar/status/1180135696658550787

Warren finally released her numbers. My math might be wrong but isn't that like average of $26 donations?

Biden is not going to make it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shbobdb posted:

Yang adds something different to the conversation. It's weird and wrong but weird and wrong in a distinct way that creates interesting possibilities.

I think Yang is a message candidate. He's running less to win than to try to draw attention to UBI.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mind_Taker posted:

I'd disagree, Kamala is actually a pretty good public speaker. Her problem is that she desperately tried to find a middle ground between being a centrist and a progressive candidate and ended up appealing to neither faction. She would say too many progressive things that centrists didn't like, then she would immediately walk them all back and pissed off progressives. It left her with no substance that could sell and no one in the democratic primary is getting super excited about her history as a tough on crime prosecutor that is now all about criminal reform without any significant legislation as a Senator to back that up.

But she is eloquent as she says nothing

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

The Glumslinger posted:

I'd disagree, Kamala is actually a pretty good public speaker. Her problem is that she desperately tried to find a middle ground between being a centrist and a progressive candidate and ended up appealing to neither faction. She would say too many progressive things that centrists didn't like, then she would immediately walk them all back and pissed off progressives. It left her with no substance that could sell and no one in the democratic primary is getting super excited about her history as a tough on crime prosecutor that is now all about criminal reform without any significant legislation as a Senator to back that up.

this isn't called finding a middle ground. it's called flip-flopping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

She can be eloquent and wooden in her delivery at the same time - and usually is.