Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Tim Raines IRL posted:

The betting sites I am looking at are still heavily favoring Trump against the field.

This is either an opportunity to make money, or a sign that we're in the hellworld where bookies are more prescient than pollsters.

Which kind of bet are you looking at? Predictit has the Democrats as the favourite to take the Whitehouse next year. Are you sure your not looking at particular individuals' chances of winning the Presidency, which in the case of the Democrats also requires they first win a competitive primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Just want to point out that the whole "house needs to vote" thing is a stalling/stonewalling tactic because congress is in recess, and even if the democrats were to agree to a vote, a full vote cannot happen before October 14

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

The betting sites I am looking at are still heavily favoring Trump against the field.

This is either an opportunity to make money, or a sign that we're in the hellworld where bookies are more prescient than pollsters.

It's the latter. Bookies don't have ideological blinders, and pollsters' unevolved practices are increasingly useless.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

motoh posted:

It's the latter. Bookies don't have ideological blinders, and pollsters' unevolved practices are increasingly useless.

Citation needed

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

evilweasel posted:

democrats won immense majorities in the house, senate, and overwhelmingly won the presidency. they passed their signature campaign promise: health care reform.

the supreme court nearly (it is widely believed Roberts first voted with the conservatives and changed his mind) overturned every single word of the ACA on a legal theory that was, at best, entirely laughable. even then, they gutted a major component of it (the medicaid expansion).

let's say that in 2020 democrats get the same overwhelming victory and, say, pass the Green New Deal, or Warren's wealth tax, or what-have-you, whatever you're hoping the next president does. the same thing is likely to happen: conservatives will make up a legal theory, friendly republican judges will accept it, and then the Supreme Court will strike it down on an entirely bullshit legal theory.

So what does the normal american do then? Just wait until another justice kicks the bucket to balance the scales?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

motoh posted:

Not sure about that, because I think by and large everyone is keenly aware Trump won after seemingly all odds were against him, so even if he was down 11 points to the dem field on average (which some polls are showing) people are still gonna hedge on him staying in power

Predictit is such a case study on group psychology and sociology, I wish I had the chops to study that stuff more. It must be a real goldmine

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hidden_msg posted:

So what does the normal american do then? Just wait until another justice kicks the bucket to balance the scales?

people get disillusioned and the gop takes back at least the senate and we're back to gridlock.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hidden_msg posted:

support packing the supreme court and push your representatives to do so as well, which can be done by ordinary legislation

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

people get disillusioned and the gop takes back at least the senate and we're back to gridlock.

so the best hope is to tread water?

evilweasel posted:

support packing the supreme court and push your representatives to do so as well, which can be done by ordinary legislation

Doesn't that run into the same problem of passing any other legislation, i.e. Republicans create a legal theory on why it is bad and gets overruled in the Supreme Court?

e: didn't see EW's post

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Betting odds are based on bets made by gamblers, who are notoriously poo poo at predicting the future.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Doesn't that make sense even if Trump is a heavy underdog? There's some chance that Bernie, Warren, Biden, or someone else is the candidate so putting money on Biden for the general election has to be discounted for the chance that Warren ends up the candidate instead.

Or am I misunderstanding?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

hidden_msg posted:

Pretty much.

Supreme Court justices are “do or die” moments and we collectively screwed the pooch on this one.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

goethe.cx posted:

Citation needed

The whole point of setting odds is to get equal betting on both sides. The line moves to favor one side when bets heavily favor the other, to create balance. This has *nothing* to do with the actual outcome and everything to do with the public perception of what will happen

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DynamicSloth posted:

Which kind of bet are you looking at? Predictit has the Democrats as the favourite to take the Whitehouse next year. Are you sure your not looking at particular individuals' chances of winning the Presidency, which in the case of the Democrats also requires they first win a competitive primary.

yeah seriously, if republicans are heavily favored to win the 2020 (as opposed to trump being narrowly favored over a split cast of a bunch of individual democrats) you should tell us where this site is so we can bet on it

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hidden_msg posted:

I ate a pretty long probation last time I answered this question.

So I'mma say pack the courts.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Benghazi.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hidden_msg posted:

Doesn't that run into the same problem of passing any other legislation, i.e. Republicans create a legal theory on why it is bad and gets overruled in the Supreme Court?

e: didn't see EW's post

the supreme court has been packed many, many times in history (or unpacked). the senate would just go ahead and confirm the new justices who would then dismiss that nonsense out of hand with their new majority.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

looked at the piece on Joni Ernst's town hall

quote:

Ernst, who's facing re-election next year, said last week she wasn't concerned about the substance of the call. "I've looked at the transcript; I don't see anything there," she told The Washington Post.

She was pressed on the topic at the town hall on Thursday by a voter named Amy Haskins, who said, "Where is the line?"

"You didn't pledge an oath to the president, you pledged it to our country, you pledged it to our Constitution. When are you guys going to start standing up and actually be there for us?" she said.

quote:

Pushed about Trump asking a foreign country to investigate a political rival, Ernst said she's spoken out against corruption in Ukraine in the past and "corruption, no matter where it is should be ferreted out." As for allegations Trump shook down Ukraine by withholding aid, Ernst noted that the Senate Intelligence Committee is looking into the Ukraine allegations and she was "not jumping to any conclusion. We don't have the full story yet. But once we do we can make that determination."

"What about whistleblowers?" Haskins pressed.

"Whistleblowers should be protected," Ernst replied before saying she was in agreement with her fellow Iowa senator, Chuck Grassley, the head of the powerful Senate Finance Committee.

this is pretty much exactly what we want to be happening, stumbling answers that try to repeat talking points but fail because they're so obviously dumb

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

1glitch0 posted:

It's funny how when a republican is president they seem to have near limitless power, but when a democrat is president they seem to wander around the Oval Office with a blindfold on. Obama could have appointed a liberal SC judge during a congressional recess, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). It wouldn't have lasted forever, but it would be a thing. He could have hammered on in the press about obstruction in the senate for months and months leading up to the election. Instead he just planned his trip to Billionaire Island.

The Republicans never recessed once they took control of Congress in 2010. Obama tried to appoint, but the Supreme Court overturned his appointments 9-0.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recess_appointment

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Feldegast42 posted:

Not sure about that, because I think by and large everyone is keenly aware Trump won after seemingly all odds were against him, so even if he was down 11 points to the dem field on average (which some polls are showing) people are still gonna hedge on him staying in power

Predictit is such a case study on group psychology and sociology, I wish I had the chops to study that stuff more. It must be a real goldmine

Except the prediction markets actually have Trump as an underdog. The gamblers are betting against him.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

evilweasel posted:

the supreme court has been packed many, many times in history (or unpacked). the senate would just go ahead and confirm the new justices who would then dismiss that nonsense out of hand with their new majority.

But don't you have a problem with increasing the amount of supreme court seats first? I would think, and I don't know, that you would have to pass increasing the chairs from 9 to say 11 or 13. Then you would start confirming justices. What prevents the current justices from adopting some republican legal theory that says "No actually you can't increase the number of seats on the supreme court in this case"?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah, there is no reason to hear a case that is nearly identical to the Texas case a few years ago unless they're planning on ruling differently now.

Bye bye abortions.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OhFunny posted:

The Republicans never recessed once they took control of Congress in 2010. Obama tried to appoint, but the Supreme Court overturned his appointments 9-0.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recess_appointment

obama tried to appoint a NLRB officials in 2012, yeah, and the supreme court killed it in 2014. that's NLRB v. Canning and it definitely hosed any hope to do the same with Garland in 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hidden_msg posted:

But don't you have a problem with increasing the amount of supreme court seats first? I would think, and I don't know, that you would have to pass increasing the chairs from 9 to say 11 or 13. Then you would start confirming justices. What prevents the current justices from adopting some republican legal theory that says "No actually you can't increase the number of seats on the supreme court in this case"?

the court would already be packed by the time some case worked its way up through the lower courts and then your packed court would vote against (it if it ever made it that far).

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

hidden_msg posted:

The already-packed court would be the one to decide that question

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

obama is very stupid if he thought garland had any chance of getting through. then again he did seem delusional for a lot of his presidency in regards to bipartisanship and assorted bullshit.

Garland would have been approved by the senate if McConnell had allowed the vote to happen.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hidden_msg posted:

It is unclear to me how you could possibly get the supreme court to rule on the law prior to the new justices being confirmed. And even if they find some way to do it, then tell them to go gently caress themselves and continue and if they want to write angry dissents from now until eternity about the illegitimacy of the expanded court, well, gently caress em.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lol that this is the thing he has to check instead of just BSing his way through it. "Hmm, investigating actual corruption? That doesn't sound like me..." *

* this paraphrase has been awarded 4.5 Pinocchios

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

hidden_msg posted:

There's no theory to support it. If 5 of the 17 justices start calling the other 5 illegitimate, they're going to face an uphill battle from 1.) Losing a 5-12 decision and 2.) Both the Legislature and the Executive being opposed to that viewpoint and unlikely to respect any sort of claim otherwise.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Rigel posted:

Except the prediction markets actually have Trump as an underdog. The gamblers are betting against him.
Didn't they also predict him losing in 2016?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crows Turn Off posted:

yes, but the accuracy of betting markets is a secondary consideration when it's disputed what they're predicting in the first place

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish i had bet on trump winning i bet people made a killing on that.

if the dems gained unitary control again packing the court should be the first move but i don't see them ever doing that.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

the court would already be packed by the time some case worked its way up through the lower courts and then your packed court would vote against (it if it ever made it that far).

goethe.cx posted:

The already-packed court would be the one to decide that question

evilweasel posted:

It is unclear to me how you could possibly get the supreme court to rule on the law prior to the new justices being confirmed. And even if they find some way to do it, then tell them to go gently caress themselves and continue and if they want to write angry dissents from now until eternity about the illegitimacy of the expanded court, well, gently caress em.

Ok. It sounds like I don't understand the action of 'packing the court'. I'll have to read up on this. Thanks.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Again, these are gamblers. People who consistently before they are likely to win despite that being demonstrably untrue in 100% of cases.

Their predictive powers should not be overestimated.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

trump lost the vote by nearly 3 million. it doesn't get better for the GOP from here.

It does if our population growth heavily skews toward regions that Democrats already control, given our geographically weighted electoral process.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
really we need a political revolution with general strikes and mass protests to force a rewrite of the Constitution because the system is broken as gently caress, what we need is to abolish the Senate, have the House be a parliamentary body with the Speaker as essentially PM, much reduced powers of the President and Executive, and let's say 5-year terms for SCOTUS

of course things aren't remotely bad enough for that to happen yet so I guess we'll try to limp along until climate change wrecks everything

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

The most obvious thing is the supreme court has become overly political and requires term limits now.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, there is no reason to hear a case that is nearly identical to the Texas case a few years ago unless they're planning on ruling differently now.

Bye bye abortions.

Wait a second, you can't possibly suggest that any of those conservative justices recently put on the bench who swore they would uphold the precedent of Roe v. Wade are in fact not going to keep their words!!!?!!!

Fetch me my finest pearls!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hidden_msg posted:

Ok. It sounds like I don't understand the action of 'packing the court'. I'll have to read up on this. Thanks.

the number of supreme court justices isn't in the constitution it's based on legislation. so congress could pass a law to up it to 11 and then put in two liberal justices to create a new majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

really we need a political revolution with general strikes and mass protests to force a rewrite of the Constitution because the system is broken as gently caress, what we need is to abolish the Senate, have the House be a parliamentary body with the Speaker as essentially PM, much reduced powers of the President and Executive, and let's say 5-year terms for SCOTUS

of course things aren't remotely bad enough for that to happen yet so I guess we'll try to limp along until climate change wrecks everything

Also there's the problem of trying to amend/rewrite the constitution when the GOP still exists as a political entity.