Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Greetings from the past. I'm still catching up on a few months of the thread I missed so sorry if this was covered recently...

I have a 4 core Xeon with a SuperMicro board w/IPMI that's awesome. The biggest problem is that it's limited to 32 gigs of RAM. I use it as a ZFS server and my docker homelab. I have 2 SSDs for boot plugged into the on-board sata ports, then 8 more drives plugged into the built in LSI SAS ports, and another 8 in a JBOD external array plugged into a different LSI card. What I'd like to do is to move to a Ryzen 3900 with 128GB ram, but I don't see a good motherboard that would give IPMI or more than 6 ports. It seems like I'd need to get a second LSI card and flash it to IT mode.

That said does anyone have a recommendation for a Ryzen compatible motherboard that they'd use in my case? Or another solution to increase the amount of memory for the least amount of money?
Unfortunately there's a tendency for Supermicro to avoid Ryzen for their motherboards, so as far as I've been able to find there's only EPYC 7000-series boards as well as EPYC 3000 series boards for embedded CPUs but the latter only has 4x SATA ports.
Interestingly, AsrockRack do make a 6-SATA port Ryzen, but ironically enough it's limited to 32GB memory. So the only real option they have is a Threadripper Ryzen board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I think my hp microserver gen8 has finally given up the ghost - flashing red 'system critical' light on it that just won't go away and doesn't power on. Looks like psu failure I think but I doubt I'm going to be able to get that part.

If I'm in the market for a replacement, what are my options? I note the reviews for the gen10 are less than glowing; does anyone make a product similar to this any more?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I feel like I'm shilling for Supermicro at this point, except I'm not even getting paid. :smith:
They have something that looks very much like the microserver and comes in three SKUs. Of those three, this one is the one closest to the microserver in that it's CPU comes pre-affixed.
There are also other SKUs but they either use the old Avaton CPUs which have a risk of failing due to a known bug (in case you end up buying old stock that's been sitting in a warehouse, not recalled), or don't seem appreciably different from the models I linked.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 28, 2019

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

D. Ebdrup posted:

Interestingly, AsrockRack do make a 6-SATA port Ryzen, but ironically enough it's limited to 32GB memory.

That's per module. In the specs it states " Support up to 128GB DDR4 ECC/UDIMM"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

That's per module. In the specs it states " Support up to 128GB DDR4 ECC/UDIMM"

:(

"DIMM Size Per DIMM - ECC/UDIMM: 32GB, 16GB, 8GB"

Jam that bad boy full of 32GB DIMM's and make sure your PSU can handle it.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

Interestingly, AsrockRack do make a 6-SATA port Ryzen, but ironically enough it's limited to 32GB memory.

I have this board with an R7 2700 and 64gb in it and it works fine. The modules I’m using are Crucial CT16G4DFD8266 16 GB.

Edit: meh, the rest of the replies were not showing when I posted this.

JockstrapManthrust fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 29, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Holy lol, I'm bad. :v:
I looked at the summary next to the picture instead of the specs below.

It makes a lot more sense that it supports 128GB, though.
I do wonder if it has better retail availability than Supermicro.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

I do wonder if it has better retail availability than Supermicro.

Got mine off Amazon UK, good availability here. As it was from the Amazon Global store it shipped, quickly, from Amazon US so it should be on there too. Got an M1015 card on it for boat loads of storage.

JockstrapManthrust fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 29, 2019

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

I feel like I'm shilling for Supermicro at this point, except I'm not even getting paid. :smith:
They have something that looks very much like the microserver and comes in three SKUs. Of those three, this one is the one closest to the microserver in that it's CPU comes pre-affixed.
There are also other SKUs but they either use the old Avaton CPUs which have a risk of failing due to a known bug (in case you end up buying old stock that's been sitting in a warehouse, not recalled), or don't seem appreciably different from the models I linked.

this seems really great, thanks! it does seem like in the uk buying the enclosure and the motherboard separately actually works out cheaper too.

do supermicro make any socketed mini itx boards that support ecc? i want to stick with freenas and probably go with an i3 for the ecc support that i presume still comes highly recommended for that os. looking thru their website every one of the its boards i can find specifically mentions that it’s non-ecc.

see: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core/index.cfm

no socket h4 itx board supports ecc :(. any other manufacturers i could try or is this too niche a feature? am i better off looking at the embedded boards?

e: then again the ones with the embedded atom look very good, and i’m probably putting the cart before the horse trying to jam an i3 in there anyway

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 30, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FYI - I was moving data around and on that dataset that causes ZoL to poo poo itself, I found a directory that I think might have had corrupt metadata. The directory name had a newline in it, I have no idea how that occurred and it passed scrubs just fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if ZoL couldn't handle that file. So it ended up being my fault after all :v:

Thought for a little bit I wasn't even going to be able to delete it, couldn't delete it as my normal user and had to go to root to kill it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

FYI - I was moving data around and on that dataset that causes ZoL to poo poo itself, I found a directory that I think might have had corrupt metadata. The directory name had a newline in it, I have no idea how that occurred and it passed scrubs just fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if ZoL couldn't handle that file. So it ended up being my fault after all :v:

Thought for a little bit I wasn't even going to be able to delete it, couldn't delete it as my normal user and had to go to root to kill it.
Can you reproduce it? Because that sounds like something that should be reported on the ZoL github!

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Just poking around eBay/Amazon thinking about upgrades, it's kind of incredible you can get these specs and storage for the price:

Supermicro CSE-846BE16-R1200B - 24 Bay
2x E5-2670 V2 (2.5 Ghz 10-Core)
128 GB DDR3 ECC
$1123 shipped from eBay (unixsurpluscom)

24x WD 10TB My Book Desktop
$4463.76 on Amazon today (can go as low as $3840)

Just under $5000 total if you catch the My Books at $160

That gets you 220TB of space with 2-disk redundancy, so $22.72 per TB. Nuts.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have an Unraid NAS with Sonarr/Radarr that i'd like to be able to access remotely. A lot of people are VPN or nothing but I don't really want to have to gently caress around with anything before accessing either of the services (unless there is some sort of 1 click method on iOS). I also see people suggesting a reverse proxy with letencrypt and DDNS but there are usually people hollering about that being insecure and whatnot. I also saw Guacamole and VNC web browser being suggested as well. Is there a sweet spot for easy to use while still not exposing myself to brute force intrusion?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IPsec offers one-click solutions for every OS including iOS, and algo makes it so easy to setup that you don't need people like me who might've sacrificed a bit of sanity to learn it the hard way.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have an Unraid NAS with Sonarr/Radarr that i'd like to be able to access remotely. A lot of people are VPN or nothing but I don't really want to have to gently caress around with anything before accessing either of the services (unless there is some sort of 1 click method on iOS). I also see people suggesting a reverse proxy with letencrypt and DDNS but there are usually people hollering about that being insecure and whatnot. I also saw Guacamole and VNC web browser being suggested as well. Is there a sweet spot for easy to use while still not exposing myself to brute force intrusion?

Wireguard is the new hotness. VPN or die.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

JockstrapManthrust posted:

I have this board with an R7 2700 and 64gb in it and it works fine. The modules I’m using are Crucial CT16G4DFD8266 16 GB.

Edit: meh, the rest of the replies were not showing when I posted this.

I have been eyeballing that board with a 3700x for my next home server build. How is the IPMI on it?

Never used ASRock Rack's IPMI stuff. Never had IPMI at home!

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

Moey posted:

I have been eyeballing that board with a 3700x for my next home server build. How is the IPMI on it?

Never used ASRock Rack's IPMI stuff. Never had IPMI at home!

Its real solid, never had an issue with it (the IPMI) for firmware/BIOS updates, console access, power control, etc.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

ok so it seems like people are in the VPN or nothing camp wrt remotely accessing Sonarr and Radarr on Unraid

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

ok so it seems like people are in the VPN or nothing camp wrt remotely accessing Sonarr and Radarr on Unraid

It's really dangerous not to, it's one of those things where if you have to ask you definitely need it. Otherwise you have to stay on top of CVE's for every exposed package, which could be dozens for a single web ui, update them immediately, and pray you don't get hit in the interim by something new that hasn't been disclosed yet. Bots update their automated exploit scripts in hours to days. Plus none of this crap is hardened for internet exposure, it's a bunch of pet projects you are likely using to steal Linux iso's not WordPress.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You don't need a VPN if you set up a reverse proxy with ssl.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

You don't need a VPN if you set up a reverse proxy with ssl.

How does this mitigate exploits in whatever lovely php / ruby / Python ui they are using?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

How does this mitigate exploits in whatever lovely php / ruby / Python ui they are using?

Nginx reverse proxy with basic auth over https is what I do. I don’t see a down side.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I use an nginx based reverse proxy and have basic auth set up in front of radarr/sonarr/other services, so in theory an attacker would not be able to exploit a vulnerability in an exposed app unless they could get past that. I'm using the linuxserver/letsencrypt container to do it so it adds TLS and fail2ban.

It's not as secure as a VPN but I think it's secure enough for what it protects, I think the bigger risk is someone managing to sneak something malicious into the docker containers which I have auto update.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

H110Hawk posted:

It depends on what kind of exploit you're imagining.

Just like a VPN, the traffic between your browser or app and your instance of Radarr or whatever is encrypted, so they're not accessing anything that way. They have to get past your reverse proxy's (99% of the time nginx) auth system to actually access anything.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

THF13 posted:

I use an nginx based reverse proxy and have basic auth set up in front of radarr/sonarr/other services, so in theory an attacker would not be able to exploit a vulnerability in an exposed app unless they could get past that. I'm using the linuxserver/letsencrypt container to do it so it adds TLS and fail2ban.

It's not as secure as a VPN but I think it's secure enough for what it protects, I think the bigger risk is someone managing to sneak something malicious into the docker containers which I have auto update.

this was the setup I was looking at doing

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

It depends on what kind of exploit you're imagining.

Just like a VPN, the traffic between your browser or app and your instance of Radarr or whatever is encrypted, so they're not accessing anything that way. They have to get past your reverse proxy's (99% of the time nginx) auth system to actually access anything.

Hughlander posted:

Nginx reverse proxy with basic auth over https is what I do. I don’t see a down side.

THF13 posted:

So these are all much better setups than just "nginx with reverse proxy" (ignoring that you autoupdate your docker containers :v: ). You still need to stay up on nginx cve's but it's an order of magnitude better as it's designed to be exposed to the internet. One reason I harp on VPN's is anything else is a gamble of completeness of a solution which for a novice is potentially a bad gamble. One wormed crypto virus and your family photos are toast. Sounds like hyperbole but that's what is out there on the internet right now.

Does the user have offsite backups? Are they protected from changes or have versioning - aka will your backup software blow over your pictures on the remote side with the now encrypted ones?

Does the person understand all of the nuances needed to keep their system secure? For example, TLS adds almost nothing to the equation except protection from your ISP snooping or coffee shop snoopers. There is a caveat - do you do TLS mutual authentication with client certs? If so - awesome. Do that. It's way better than a password. Do they understand that the login screen on radarr/sonarr/whatever is not as well made and means likely nothing compared to the login screen on the nginx proxy module? Do they understand the importance of banning clients who get the password wrong too many times (fail2ban above, use it)?

The internet was a mistake. That's my soap box.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Pfsense router running OpenVPN server makes my home network janitor life easier.

Use it. Make your life easier too!

I followed the video that Laurence Systems (or something like that) has on YouTube. I have multiple things running on my network and it's nice that it takes care of all of them.

Also, I can VPN from whatever garbage internet hotspot/hotel and have people not sniffing my packets.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
If whatever your NAS is can use Docker, you can use Traefik as your reverse proxy. It automatically monitors one of the docker files for when new containers get spun up with specific config lines at run and handles all the proxying config for you.

It can also be used as a simple reverse proxy like nginx without the automation either, I'm not sure what the config is like though

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like when people are like "hey I'm looking for something simple and better then leaving my rear end in the wind but don't feel like wearing armor plate". Which is inevitably followed up with "but full plate armor is more secure". Be scared be afraid buy NORDVPN!!!!! I wonder how secure Plexes system is for connecting remotely.... whatever.

On another note gently caress docker/permissions. I kind of wanted to try Sonarr in it but it seemed to be too much of a hassle to interact with sabnbz unless it too is in a docker container.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 4, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

So these are all much better setups than just "nginx with reverse proxy" (ignoring that you autoupdate your docker containers :v: ). You still need to stay up on nginx cve's but it's an order of magnitude better as it's designed to be exposed to the internet. One reason I harp on VPN's is anything else is a gamble of completeness of a solution which for a novice is potentially a bad gamble. One wormed crypto virus and your family photos are toast. Sounds like hyperbole but that's what is out there on the internet right now.

Does the user have offsite backups? Are they protected from changes or have versioning - aka will your backup software blow over your pictures on the remote side with the now encrypted ones?

Does the person understand all of the nuances needed to keep their system secure? For example, TLS adds almost nothing to the equation except protection from your ISP snooping or coffee shop snoopers. There is a caveat - do you do TLS mutual authentication with client certs? If so - awesome. Do that. It's way better than a password. Do they understand that the login screen on radarr/sonarr/whatever is not as well made and means likely nothing compared to the login screen on the nginx proxy module? Do they understand the importance of banning clients who get the password wrong too many times (fail2ban above, use it)?

The internet was a mistake. That's my soap box.

Ehh, I think a VPN is just as much a gamble of completness as a reverse proxy setup. Setting up a VPN has traditionally been a joke of complicatedness...algo is making that better, but still not great.

One real downfall of a VPN setup is getting your wife, dad, little sister, best friend, to correctly configure their client side.

People who set this stuff up all the time have a very hard time groking the hurdle this is.

Reverse proxy setups require them to have a username/password...which is definitely good enough for most setups.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 4, 2019

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
It's not exactly a VPN, but I love ZeroTier for this sort of stuff

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

You understand you're bouncing other people's traffic through your own system when you're running zerotier right?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

One real downfall of a VPN setup is getting your wife, dad, little sister, best friend, to correctly configure their client side.
That's one advantage of IPsec via algo, it can generate profiles that lets your wife, dad, little sister, and best friend just go into Settings and flip the 'VPN' toggle, and they've got privacy.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

People who set this stuff up all the time have a very hard time groking the hurdle this is.

If you have read my posts and thought I was making this sound like a good idea you should re-read them and pretend little bits of spittle are coming out of my mouth. Overall I think it's an awful idea to try to interconnect home internet connections as it's setting you up to be tech support when plex doesn't work at your sisters/brothers/mom/dads house. Or your internet goes down so theirs does too until the VPN gives up and withdraws routes. If you want to, make a profile and set it up yourself on their side so it only routes what they need over to your house. You can make one click-ish profiles for openvpn where if they use the installer you can just doubleclick the file and it will connect no password needed.

Wireguard is supposed to make this stuff better.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Fun trying to explain manual routing entries when their network happens to use the same subnet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

That's one advantage of IPsec via algo, it can generate profiles that lets your wife, dad, little sister, and best friend just go into Settings and flip the 'VPN' toggle, and they've got privacy.

Yeah, I started a thread on algo here. I've used it extensively.

There's two main downsides to it compared to a username/password situation:

1. I've got to set it up on their devices for them. Wireguard with algo all sounds so simple to us tech people, but it's mostly beyond regular users, or at least beyond what they care to try.
2. It's still hard to get regular users to keep it on. Inevitably something breaks because it doesn't like the VPN, so they turn it off and then two weeks later I'm looking at their device for whatever and they've had it off ever since.

I mean, I haven't gave up on the idea. I still use it and try to keep people I have some responsibility for using it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Jesus people, just don't open up your internal network to the outside world. There are only shades of "how bad is it?" in every single option.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Volguus posted:

Jesus people, just don't open up your internal network to the outside world. There are only shades of "how bad is it?" in every single option.

Also don't turn on your computer because of the same reason.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Also don't turn on your computer because of the same reason.

Certainly. However, the shades of insecurity are quite a bit dimmer if you don't just open up your internal network to the internet. Being connected to the internet is a risk. Inviting everyone into your home (even if you lock your door with a lovely lock) is ... well quite a different beast now, isn't it?

You cannot ever have 100% security. But when you open a hole in your firewall to connect internally from outside you better be sure it's worth it, because the exposure is immense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I have a few port open to specific items all with security, but I also use a openvpn internally and externally, I mean VPNs are nice, but I would say that for the average person, even having a firewall that has ports not just blindly opened or DMZed to some piece of equipment is pretty high bench mark. Also I would say that it just provides another layer of authentication, and pretty much you should update like mad anyway.

God help them if they have IoT poo poo. I've worked with some of those where the only thing I can say is that they are just attack vectors. Some you can Telenet right into without password authentication and get root access.

:stonk: