Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

ungulateman posted:

e: also the pony cards are cute and the text "everypony wins the game" is amazing, you're all haters

username / post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
fun fact: my username predates the resurgence of mlp into popular culture. i actually got it from a Far Side comic.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

little munchkin posted:

every single answer to field of the dead rotated out lol

Agent of treachery can yoink lands
Good luck ramping to it tho

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

little munchkin posted:

every single answer to field of the dead rotated out lol

Unmoored ego

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Insert classic mengu story about how he never lost a game against unmoored ego naming both field of the dead or golos.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I'm not saying it's a good answer, but it is one. The good answer will be a deck which can reliably go under FotD and push it to a fair metagame share.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

My favorite answer is Fires decks running Fae of Wishes and wishing for 2 Ethereal Absolution to just turn off field of the dead lol. Revenge of Ravens can work too, to stop them from actually attacking with them

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Katana Gomai posted:

Unmoored ego

I main decked 2 for a while. I literally never got to snag them before they had one in play.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Dom is Here posted:

So I bought two more, and folks, I'm really dumb. If you like whiffing on boosters, imagine how good whiffing on $23 boosters feels.

You have to buy more of them to even out your losses.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I don't understand how Prismatic vista needed to be printed into MH because it's too good for standard, but Fabled Passage is fine. They seem around the same power level, with vista being better early game but passage being better mid-late, but one is $35 and the other is $8.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Retromancer posted:

I don't understand how Prismatic vista needed to be printed into MH because it's too good for standard, but Fabled Passage is fine. They seem around the same power level, with vista being better early game but passage being better mid-late, but one is $35 and the other is $8.

Prismatic is better in older formats where being quick is all the matters. Nobody wants a fetch that only works the way they want it to on turn 4+.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Retromancer posted:

Mid-late doesn’t matter as much as the first 3 turns, especially in Modern.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I get that prismatic is better for older formats, but I think that if passage is not too powerful for standard, then vista shouldn't be either, since the advantage of vista isn't as important in standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Retromancer posted:

Vista was a card I got right and most of you got wrong. :smugdon:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Sickening posted:

The only reasons to run vista in Modern:

1. Your deck is 4+ colors

2. Holy poo poo Scalding Tarn is $110.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
3. snow-covered basics

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Sickening posted:

Who said Prismatic Vista was wrong? I don't keep track of people's bad predictions in this thread because I'm guilty of them too, but I thought everyone knew how bonkers yet another fetch land would be.

Retromancer posted:

The only reasons to run vista in Modern:

1. Your deck is 4+ colors

2. Holy poo poo Scalding Tarn is $110.

Also if you're running snow lands. Even two color control decks are playing it and running more basics. Long story short, get them now before they don't reprint Vista for another 10 years and it jumps to Tarn's price.

E: ^ I was beat to it :v:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

ungulateman posted:

3. snow-covered basics

You can still fetch these with regular fetches so that falls under #2.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Please for the love of god shut the gently caress up about what cards you got right and others got wrong

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

It just sucks that prices on fetches will never come down because WotC has basically come out and said that they've added them to a soft reserved list.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Retromancer posted:

You do realise you can run both Vista and a regular fetch in the same deck, right?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Retromancer posted:

Not consistently in 3-4 color piles. Funny that a basics-only fetch is the best one in multicolored decks.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Jabor posted:

You do realise you can run both Vista and a regular fetch in the same deck, right?

I run them as flooded strand 5-8

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Please for the love of god shut the gently caress up about what cards you got right and others got wrong

Sooooomebody’s still cranky they whiffed on Arclight Phoenix last year :dukedoge:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Retromancer posted:

It just sucks that prices on fetches will never come down because WotC has basically come out and said that they've added them to a soft reserved list.

Soft reserved list? They were reprinted two years ago.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

You'll never see them in a standard price booster ever again is what I was getting at.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

WotC's been as clear as they can without putting it in a contract or something that they really don't want fetches in Standard ever again. So until they go back on that, fetches are only going to be reprinted in supplementary sets, which isn't likely to move the price too much.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Aniodia posted:

The cards are neat, though, if you're into that sort of thing. And it's for a good charity, no less. Only thing is, how are you gonna win with that ability, considering the other ponies don't exist as cards? ;)

Using the "___________" shapeshifter from that one Un- set. Maro just recently posted a ruling on Twitter that if a card lists other card names in its rules text, then those names are legal for that shapeshifter to use, even if those named cards don't actually exist.

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/1179846510625689601

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 4, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
WOTC would never go back on an unwritten promise.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

congrats, we all respect you a whole lot now and have moved you up to only the third worst poster in this thread

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Retromancer posted:

You'll never see them in a standard price booster ever again is what I was getting at.

I wouldn't say never, but it is unlikely. I just hope they don't include them in the same standard as duals ever again because of the shuffling nightmare that was KTK-BFZ standard.

Although since Wizards seems to be putting a lot of eggs in the Arena basket, maybe they won't care about shuffling problems as much going forward.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Against decks that want to just jam in with non-evasive fatties, block with fried kitten, fry kitten before damage step, recur kitten feels filthy.

I can't help but think there's a lot of people i'm playing against new to MTG just getting in through Arena who find it really counter-intuitive my kitten is blocking their 8/8 lifelink deathtouch or whatever and still preventing face damage when I yank it out of the way into the oven.

All I can say is welcome to Hell.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Retromancer posted:

I get that prismatic is better for older formats, but I think that if passage is not too powerful for standard, then vista shouldn't be either, since the advantage of vista isn't as important in standard.

It’s very important still and it would lead to more 5c good stuff piles and 3 color aggro decks. They also don’t want absolutely every 2+ color deck running 4 always.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 4, 2019

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just went to Walmart to get all 4 Brawl decks what is wrong with me

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShaneB posted:

I just went to Walmart to get all 4 Brawl decks what is wrong with me

How did it feel buying them for 16 a pop as opposed to the supposed """"MSRP""" of 39.99.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

How did it feel buying them for 16 a pop as opposed to the supposed """"MSRP""" of 39.99.

$21, sadly.

Felt fine. Feels lame to spec I guess. But maybe I should play them?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The Walmarts in my area didn't have them. My LGS is selling them for $30 a piece which is dumb but I bought the Alela and Chulane ones because I am also dumb.

I didn't buy them to play them, I got them because I wanted Arcane Signets and the commanders from them-- the shocklands and Smothering Tithe (both desired) and value cards from each box (which I don't really need so will use as trade/credit fodder) are just a bonus.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 4, 2019

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

My Walmart didn’t seem to have them either. Are they going to be released on Arena, or just paper?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
People expect to see Skarrgan Hellkire in Cavalcade about as much as they expect to see JTMS in burn, it's pretty great and has led to SEVERAL victories that were otherwise not possible. Even had some scoops after bumping up against the timeout while chaining spells off Experimental Frenzy and Runaway Steam-Kin. Also Runaway Steam-Kin is maybe the most accurate name a card has ever been given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-league-2019-10-04#yamakiller_-

Who loves turn 2 kills in Modern