Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MoaM posted:

The 12th greatest film of all time according to the infallible polling of Internet Movie Database dot com can't simply be "fine".

Who are you kidding?

It's got some messy writing but the Joker mainly kills rich fucks who deserve it and Phoenix is good so it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I still say they missed a golden opportunity to later in the film have the bad guy be able to be easily beaten if only they had a guy who could climb anything and make super knots.

They had a guy who's main power is that he throw stuff really good and then he never does. Even when they have to throw something at the main villain to defeat him someone else does it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Karloff posted:

Part of the problem with the premise is that the requirement for SS to fit into a shared universe undercuts it. If it was just a black ops team full of criminals that Waller creates because no one will miss them if they get got, then that would be fine.

But, instead, in order to fit in with the DCEU it's shown that the team is made to potentially respond to a Superman level threat, which is a lot harder to buy. None of the Squad seem to be equipped to deal with someone who could decimate a skyscraper by sneezing too hard. I mean what's Captain Boomerang gonna do?

I think the idea was Enchantress was the response to deal with a Superman threat. As magic kills Superman. (Which hasn't been a thing in the DCEU but whatever.)
Then the rest of the Squad is there to kill the Enchantress if she gets out of line.
And presumably they have super intelligent gorillas for if the Squad gets out of hand.
Then we go full Simpsons meme.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

In the comics their entire existence isn't justified by someone saying "What if we have to kill Superman?" though.

I dunno, in the Ostrander run one of their first gigs is to take down Firestorm and he is hilariously out of their league.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Alhazred posted:

They had a guy who's main power is that he throw stuff really good and then he never does. Even when they have to throw something at the main villain to defeat him someone else does it.

half the characters in SS were completely or almost completely superfluous. Not just Boomerang, but what exactly did Killer Croc or Katana add to the film? Even Joker has no reason to be there, outside of the ending and Harley's backstory flashbacks.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 4, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

half the characters in SS were completely or almost completely superfluous. Not just Boomerang, but what exactly did Killer Croc or Katana add to the film? Even Joker has no reason to be there, outside of the ending and Harley's backstory flashbacks.

Why was there an entire squad of soldiers there if the whole point was that the suicide squad could take on Superman? Why was there anyone there but the fireguy considering he could incinerate everyone? Why did Waller allow anyone to negotiate their sentences even if she could blow their heads off? Its a dumb and bad movie, that's why.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 4, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Joker has been spoiled for me and I don't feel like I'm missing poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You're missing a hell of a performance. It's an extremely feel-bad movie to an extent that the trailers don't reach.

My complaints are just a couple of very obvious scenes.
When it's revealed that his relationship with Zazie Beetz was a delusion, they do some Fight Club/Tyler Durdan flashbacks to show she wasn't really there in previous scenes, which is unnecessary and shows the movie doesn't quite trust it's audience to get it in the moment.
And Bruce Wayne's parents being killed in the classic crime alley scene just needed to be hinted at rather than play out like we've seen a billion times.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 4, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

You're missing a hell of a performance. It's an extremely feel-bad movie to an extent that the trailers don't reach.

Counterpoint: Todd Phillips is a lovely director and Phoenix isn't enough to offset my lack of desire to see this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not trying to change your mind about going, but it's very well directed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah. Todd Phillips is a fine director. He's a lovely PERSON.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah. Todd Phillips is a fine director. He's a lovely PERSON.

The Hangover sucks.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've seen a lot more of his filmography than I expected, largely because in college I'd just tag along to movies without asking a lot of questions. I'd say Borat is probably pretty good at doing what it was trying to do even if I profoundly disliked it, and A Star is Born is actually pretty competently put together even if it doesn't rise much higher than "competent." Phillips didn't actually direct either of those-- the stuff that he did direct is, as far as I'm familiar with it, really rote dumb schlock.

I guess if one is a fan of that kind of comedy there are probably hierarchies within it, good directors, bad directors, but I don't know, I never saw the appeal. It just always feels like a lot of leering, like the camera invites me to be a not very good person.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Counterpoint: Todd Phillips is a lovely director and Phoenix isn't enough to offset my lack of desire to see this.

My friends and who are already comic nerds and will dutifully traipse out to see most any comic flick have responded to the notion of going with aggressive disinterest. I'm so proud of them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The Hangover sucks.

The first one is fine. It's aged poorly though.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I seem to remember them getting progressively uglier and more mean spirited with each entry, with the third one almost exiting the realm of comedy and entering the realm of cinema of alienation

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Hangover sucks.

And yet, Chernobyl.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
different guy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Hangover and other bad comedies guy who inexplicably made Chernobyl that you're thinking of is Craig Mazin.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

different guy

Aphrodite posted:

The Hangover and other bad comedies guy who inexplicably made Chernobyl that you're thinking of is Craig Mazin.

I'm not saying Todd was involved, I'm saying 2019 is the year of Hangover redemption! :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Craig Mazin only wrote the sequels everyone hates.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This is silly.

edit: May be fake.
edit: Is fake.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 4, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Excuse me sir but we cannot admit any lone gunmen into this theatre.
What if I point my gun at you first?
Please, right this way sir.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I know it's fake, but I guess people forgot that Columbine was done with a duo of shooters.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
i watched it. It definitely does not glorify the violence etc as media was thinking. i enjoyed it though there was some stuff i didnt like.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It was big fat meh for me. Phoenix is great, but there's no tension until the end, they link anti wealth inequality with the loving joker and we're saddled with another batman origin scene. If you're okay with seeing a movie on the big screen solely for the acting, go see it. But there's nothing that that would be lost by waiting until it's streaming.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shindragon posted:

i watched it. It definitely does not glorify the violence etc as media was thinking. i enjoyed it though there was some stuff i didnt like.
The entire 'controversy' around this movie has been incredibly stupid since it was started by media people who had not even seen the film. They just saw the final trailer and their monocles collectively fell out. Which is ridiculous since nothing in that trailer is even something to get worked out over.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I love how 20+ posts in this thread about valid concerns are easily overlooked when someone wants to continue bringing up "pearl clutching" as if everyone is suddenly Tipper Gore trying to censor true art. Yeah, obviously the media has been hyperbolic but some of us speculate because we don't want to pay money to go see a movie where they make a folk hero out of the Joker.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I love how 20+ posts in this thread about valid concerns are easily overlooked when someone wants to continue bringing up "pearl clutching" as if everyone is suddenly Tipper Gore trying to censor true art. Yeah, obviously the media has been hyperbolic but some of us speculate because we don't want to pay money to go see a movie where they make a folk hero out of the Joker.

No one has called you out for that tho, but some media and critics went real hard on "but the incel children" during the press loop. Not All Joker Criticism, if that isn't implied.

I'm probably gonna catch this one on home video because now that the pre-release buzz has died down, what I'm getting from critics and people that saw the movie is "it's fine. Phoenix is a good actor. Todd Philipps kinda rips off Scorsese. It's fine."

Dias fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 5, 2019

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sgt. Politeness posted:

If it may seem i was calling you out on that sorry I didn’t mean to.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The concerns are dumb, but what's turned me off from wanting to see the movie is Phoenix's bewildered response that it might incite something, and Phillips' weird "SJWs ruined comedy" response.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Dias posted:

No one has called you out for that tho, but some media and critics went real hard on "but the incel children" during the press loop. Not All Joker Criticism, if that isn't implied.

Shindragon posted:

If it may seem i was calling you out on that sorry I didn’t mean to.

No, that's on me. I didn't mean to come off all super sensitive. We just had a relatively inflammatory conversation about the "responsibility" of art in this thread and then the next day the US military issued a warning to vets that they should get strapped for their midnight showings because good guys with guns or whatever.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 5, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

The concerns are dumb, but what's turned me off from wanting to see the movie is Phoenix's bewildered response that it might incite something, and Phillips' weird "SJWs ruined comedy" response.
I'm willing to give them a pass since they clearly weren't prepared for this kind of sudden media interest in their movie, and I think it's perfectly fair for them to ask why this movie is different than so many others that have far more offensive content but have received none of the attention. I would be pissed too if suddenly a reporter asked if my movie was being 'irresponsible' before it had even premiered.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Yeah, but also, how hard is it(and why isn't it his first instinct) to say "oh no, we don't set out to justify or glorify violence in this film"? Like hundreds of filmmakers before them have.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, but also, how hard is it(and why isn't it his first instinct) to say "oh no, we don't set out to justify or glorify violence in this film"? Like hundreds of filmmakers before them have.
I don't see why they are obligated to answer that question. It's not like this is some NC-17 rated movie that is trying to push the limits of what they can get into theaters or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Sgt. Politeness posted:

some of us speculate because we don't want to pay money to go see a movie where they make a folk hero out of the Joker.

That's kinda where I'm at. I said before that the movie would interest me if it wasn't about the Joker, because that carried a lot of baggage for me that made it much less interesting to me. "How the Joker becomes the Joker" is something I just don't care about. How it appears to play out doesn't interest me.

Then the weird backlash and Todd Phillips' saying dumb poo poo just kinda put the final nail in the coffin and I just couldn't give any poo poo about this movie.

Let's just all watch The Last Circus again.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God the Martin Scorsese MCU discourse is so bad. Twitter has just become a massive version of CD :barf:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The what

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

site posted:

The what

Excuse him, he meant the guy who voiced the Pufferfish in Shark Tale MCU discourse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't get up the interst to think I'll ever watch Joker, mostly because I don't really want to see movies right now that are depressing, downers and otherwise meant to make me feel bad. The worlds horrible enough as it is without entertainment bringing me down too.