Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dwarf74 posted:

....so when is this happening today?
October 4, dwarfster.

e: Beaten harder than a drum-kit owned by Chuck Biscuits on his prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TheHan posted:

I'm shocked that they're willing to risk it all on this awful case instead of settling and grifting their base some more. Vic's gotta be the one who won't take no for an answer right? Ty's folded in front of the judge every time but Vic's been so totally removed from the process that he probably only knows as much as his lawyers tell him.

Ty probably doesn't know how bad things are here, and so is likely not giving an accurate view of reality to Vic. Also, realistically, the defendants don't have a lot to gain from negotiations at this point, except in the case that one or more points move forward, in which case the battle over discovery is going to be fierce and awful for everyone involved except Vic.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SoftNum posted:

Ty probably doesn't know how bad things are here, and so is likely not giving an accurate view of reality to Vic. Also, realistically, the defendants don't have a lot to gain from negotiations at this point, except in the case that one or more points move forward, in which case the battle over discovery is going to be fierce and awful for everyone involved except Vic.
it can't be that bad, ty doesn't know anything about discovery if the case so far is anything to go by

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it can't be that bad, ty doesn't know anything about discovery if the case so far is anything to go by

He brought it up during the hearing actually. My assumption, based on the couple of things Ty said, was that they wanted to get a discovery order so they can, for instance, troll through discord logs to find people saying "I want to cut off Vic's balls" or w/e.

Because this is all about silencing victims and dissent.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SoftNum posted:

He brought it up during the hearing actually. My assumption, based on the couple of things Ty said, was that they wanted to get a discovery order so they can, for instance, troll through discord logs to find people saying "I want to cut off Vic's balls" or w/e.

Because this is all about silencing victims and dissent.
ya i was referring to that. he thought a stay of discovery meant he couldn't get any evidence at all. the judge was a bit bewildered

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AgqWEL1Pl-HXgBk9GZ2kHf8VVVRTUTx8/view

quote:

pg 104-106

THE COURT: Do you have affidavits from those conventions?
MR. BEARD: No. Discovery -- the --

THE COURT: What do you mean discovery?
MR. BEARD: There's a discovery stay the minute they filed their TCPA.

THE COURT: Well, how did you get affidavits from anybody in this case, then?
MR. BEARD: Got them before.

THE COURT: No, you didn't, because you did one on September 2nd.
MR. BEARD: Your Honor, these conventions were not willing to come out --

THE COURT: Hold on. You did an affidavit -- or statement, whatever, unsworn statement or whatever it was on September 2nd. So you were able to get affidavits from people, and you actually notarized some affidavits after discovery --
MR. BEARD: Obtaining -- obtaining affidavits --

THE COURT: That's the question I asked you. Did you get an affidavit from any of the --
MR. BEARD: No, we did not.

THE COURT: Okay. And you said no because of discovery.
MR. BEARD: Right. I said because the discovery stay kicked in and we couldn't go to third parties that we didn't know. Plus, these conventions aren't all --

THE COURT: What is that? You can't go get an affidavit from --
MR. BEARD: When they filed their motion to dismiss, a discovery stay came down.

THE COURT: Can they not get an affidavit during the discovery stay to support their response?
MR. BEARD: No.

MR. VOLNEY: Of course they can, Your Honor.
THE COURT: Okay.

MR. VOLNEY: Which is exactly what Sean did.
MR. BEARD: Your Honor, we --

THE COURT: You can't get -- how do you --
MR. BEARD: Here's the thing. We couldn't depose them --

THE COURT: I didn't ask you about a deposition, did I?
MR. BEARD: You did not. Let me back up, if I may. We did not get affidavits because those parties were not friendly to us.

THE COURT: Okay. Don't make up some other excuse like it's in the rule somewhere.
MR. BEARD: I got confused. I got confused. I misunderstood. I got myself rattled. Sorry about that. Okay.

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 3, 2019

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Nick (aka Screech and Blackface lawyer) has gotten himself suspended by twitter given his 'go off the deep end ranting at everyone and throwing all the typical alt-right slurs around' yesterday. The immediate assumption on lawtwitter following the case is that he 'acted up' yesterday so he's suspended when the ruling comes in and everything is denied. I think it was just him doing a temper tantrum because he knows vic's lost and he'd told all his followers/con victims that it was a slam dunk case for them to give him money.

The vicstans at the farms etc have already done their rationalisation, which is that the judge is incompetent and already knows he screwed up so is going to deliberately have everything sent to appeal, so it can be overturned and sent back to him to have another go. That or he'll reverse himself the moment Beard says 'pretty please'.

They're, uhh, not smart.

PST fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 4, 2019

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Hell yeah! Throwin' another tire in that dumpster fire!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PST posted:

Nick (aka Screech and Blackface lawyer) has gotten himself suspended by twitter given his 'go off the deep end ranting at everyone and throwing all the typical alt-right slurs around' yesterday. The immediate assumption on lawtwitter following the case is that he 'acted up' yesterday so he's suspended when the ruling comes in and everything is denied.
I can actually buy this.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I can actually buy this.

I'm not sure he's smart enough for that, but it sounds reasonable; it adds several days to when people find out what happens. Greg Doucette says that the judgement will be filed today, but that there will be a delay until people outside the case can access it; this means that any news coming out today is due to people within the case (Ty) leaking it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

dwarf74 posted:

I can actually buy this.

It's the first play in the book: when things go south, get yourself moderated so you can blame everything on Twitter denying your freedom of speech.

"We totally would've won that case if only Twitter hadn't banned me, something something something conspiracy!"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
People on law twitter saying all charges were dismissed.

Also desperate for any sort of win, Beard and Nick's alt are trying to pretend Greg fleeced people's money in getting the transcript for the hearing. Except, you know, Greg is smart and has provided a bunch of documentation in the past. Oops.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1180159845699244033?s=19

https://twitter.com/fsckemall/status/1172649444317093889?s=19

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1180161489832820736?s=20

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"WE'RE TOTALLY GOING TO WIN THE APPEALS THO! NEED MORE MONEY TO WIN!"

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

And now come the appeals, which means we won't be rid of these "weeb wars" for another few years.
...Oh who am I kidding, this poo poo was gonna continue no matter what the outcome was.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah here's the reporter who was following along confirming it:
https://twitter.com/SharonFGrigsby/status/1180165206560985090

just need to wait for the ruling to get put online or a lawyer involved to throw their version online. there isn't anything blocking rulings being publicised right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gotchu covered. :yeshaha:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

order:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1180169735159209984

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, what kind of bill are these clowns now staring down? Just how vicious is the judge going to get with them?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Are there any estimates out for what the defense's legal fees are looking like? Wouldn't be surprised if that alone wiped out the GFM...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Are there any estimates out for what the defense's legal fees are looking like? Wouldn't be surprised if that alone wiped out the GFM...
there was a low-balled estimate done for the least complex defendant at $70-80k to date a few weeks back iirc, so x4 for a baseline pre-sanctions
e: wrong figures, here's the generous breakdown: https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1170171409592717313

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 4, 2019

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I’d be very surprised if the gfm even has funds remaining

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AnoHito posted:

The article linked earlier said they could be over half a million dollars plus sanctions, the GFM raised about half of that, and has probably been mostly spent on Ty Beard's law firm already.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The Judge’s order gives the defendants 30 days to submit their legal costs and requests for sanctions. I wonder if they might have that prepared already, since the majority of the dismissals happened weeks ago and they had to suspect today’s result as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fray posted:

The Judge’s order gives the defendants 30 days to submit their legal costs and requests for sanctions. I wonder if they might have that prepared already, since the majority of the dismissals happened weeks ago and they had to suspect today’s result as well.

They’ll should have most of it ready, but will probably take a week or two to coordinate. Also calculating the total fee award is billable and will be included.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The vic guys were so confident they were going to win despite every legitimate lawyer on the planet saying the case was unwinnable from day one. I cannot wait for the videos of the gnashing of teeth.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The delusion continues.

https://twitter.com/TyBeard10/status/1180181257927430145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

just keep racking those hours up for every lawyer involved for your client to pay

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Lol
https://twitter.com/TyBeard10/status/1180181257927430145?s=20

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope Ty has a halftime show ready for us, this trial has been a roller coaster of emotions.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I cannot wait to see what possible grounds he thinks he can win on appeal.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really hope the Judge awards a ton of costs against Vic so that lovely people don't try to sue people they've sexually assaulted after the victims come forward. There's really good public policy grounds for an extensive cost award.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Oh man. Those replies. Half are saying they should give up and the other half are voicing continued support and lambasting those who dare stop being true believers.

Also I'm not good at football. How many half-times per game?:thunk:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Man Vicstans are embarrassing

https://twitter.com/JoshuaZWalters/status/1180183534457249792?s=20

"Actually, the entire case being dismissed is good for Vic and shows the judge is on his side!"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i've seen angles along the lines of "we lost the legal battle, but won the war - he's still getting invited to cons and knows his fanbase is behind him"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I should use the " no losing is actually good for you" line with my clients the next time I lose a case, I'll report back on how well that goes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Can we change the thread title to "is a piece of a poo poo" as the law requires, thanks

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fangz posted:

Can we change the thread title to "is a piece of a poo poo" as the law requires, thanks

Seconding this (because I only saw this post after I started a reply asking the same thing).

"Vic Mignogna is legally a piece of poo poo" thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Halftime, only you're down 56-3 and the crowd's all leaving and your star QB's been thrown out of the game for dropkicking a cheerleader.