Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

this got a wide-open lol from me, amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

LITERALLY AN ADMIN posted:

Hello, meme thread.

It was brought to my attention that the image being referenced here:

is experiencing a renaissance of sorts in various joke, meme, and PhotoShop threads. I'd like to request that we refrain from using it as a source of comedy in PYF, specifically. I understand there are strong, differing opinions on the viability of this image, but it makes a lot of people uncomfortable, and for what I think is good reason.

I will not be banning or probating for the image at this time, as this is something I have mulled over but am only just beginning to request of you. In the future this may be subject to change.

Thank you for reading, and hopefully obliging. I appreciate it.

The meme thread has been mostly pretty good nowadays. Thank you for keeping it that way.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm a bit out of the loop, could someone explain why things are wonky with that image? Nothing immediately stands out to me, unless I'm blind as poo poo.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

its literally the last moments of a young womens life

the cameraman was a serial killer

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

KoRMaK posted:

its literally the last moments of a young womens life

the cameraman was a serial killer

Ah, gently caress me then. I do vaguely remember something about that now, but the picture still rings no bells.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Neito posted:

Ah, gently caress me then. I do vaguely remember something about that now, but the picture still rings no bells.

It's pretty gnarly to think about and not terribly funny or clever to juxtapose with meme of the day over and over

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A 14 year-old murder victim:

Goons:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The only one of those I'll defend as funny is the one with the vietnamese girl and the giant Woody Allen looming in the distance

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Sleeveless posted:

Goons:

"It's just poo poo. It's not gonna kill you!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk9phqlDgic

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Goons:

Also Also Goons:

Sleeveless posted:

Goons:

Apparently that counts now.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The only one of those I'll defend as funny is the one with the vietnamese girl and the giant Woody Allen looming in the distance
As a one-off I don't think any of those photos were the worst, they're no worse than anything else in SA's long history... but yeah that particular one with the girl was getting beaten into the ground as exceptionally clever when it's the exact same loving joke that goons have been making for twenty straight years, often with said girl.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

mind the walrus posted:

no worse than anything else in SA's long history

it seems kind of ridiculous to argue that anything is "okay" on the basis of things we used to do. I used to poo poo in a diaper, too, but these days when I poo poo myself I take full responsibility

I'm always a little grateful that among the lost cities of the internet, the one I chose to set myself up in is the one where the moderators give any kind of a poo poo about stuff like "let's stop being transphobic"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mind the walrus posted:

Also Also Goons:

Apparently that counts now.

As a one-off I don't think any of those photos were the worst, they're no worse than anything else in SA's long history... but yeah that particular one with the girl was getting beaten into the ground as exceptionally clever when it's the exact same loving joke that goons have been making for twenty straight years, often with said girl.

It's got less to do with being clever than it does with the fact that that picture itself is so shocking and disgusting that when it completely blindsides you with the inclusion of the terrorist goose or something it becomes funny. It transcends its disgusting origins in that moment and makes for a really weird blend of breakthrough absurdity and discomfort. Like two opposite sides of your brain fire at the same time. It's why tribute.avi is still the funniest video on the internet.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

it seems kind of ridiculous to argue that anything is "okay" on the basis of things we used to do. I used to poo poo in a diaper, too, but these days when I poo poo myself I take full responsibility
Hey next time you're going cherry-picking invite me along. My broader point was that using the picture sucked.

Heath posted:

It's got less to do with being clever than it does with the fact that that picture itself is so shocking and disgusting that when it completely blindsides you with the inclusion of the terrorist goose or something it becomes funny. It transcends its disgusting origins in that moment and makes for a really weird blend of breakthrough absurdity and discomfort. Like two opposite sides of your brain fire at the same time. It's why tribute.avi is still the funniest video on the internet.

I know. I've seen goons using that girl's photo in photoshop threads for about half a decade now. It's the same joke, over and over. It works, but this time it was getting over-praised because frankly if you're still around here you've probably been around long enough to know how middle-of-the-road that joke is.

It's also distasteful, etc. etc.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Some people have sensitive hearts and we must be careful to not upset them

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Iodized salt is still 99.994% NaCl by mass and as a chemist I would have to pay out the rear end to get most of my research chemicals to be of that grade. :viggo:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The fact that it's been in so many photoshops for years and years should tell you exactly how "shocking and disgusting" most goons find it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Collapsing Farts posted:

Some people have sensitive hearts and we must be careful to not upset them

I really don’t care if we offend those sensitive hearted folks who cannot stand an unfunny joke taken from them.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

god drat no one was tlaking about it until a mod mentioned it

shut up you all

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

KoRMaK posted:

shut up you all

Apparently they were though since LaB was getting messages

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is :honk:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

shut up you all

Would you say “No1Curr”?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqltVZ6IVKM

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

100% would have been a better film.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We have actual smilies making fun of 911, because death is only funny if enough of it happens at once :shrug:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Y'all keep trying to debate this and they're just gonna go "gently caress leniency" and start coming down on it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Irradiation posted:

Iodized salt is still 99.994% NaCl by mass and as a chemist I would have to pay out the rear end to get most of my research chemicals to be of that grade. :viggo:

I always eyeball my table-salt, sometimes i mix it with grain alcohol and make a tincture.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

:laffo:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm simultaneously thinking "I wouldn't have it any other way" and "lol gently caress goons."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My favorite recent goon own was recently when someone melted down over the Nobody: memes and someone did a Nobody: meme about the goon

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

G-g-g-yeeaaaaaah

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
nobody: hah gently caress you my name is [full name] and i live at [address] and if you ever want to tell someone about my cool ship just tell them [a full and accurate description of my ship and its crew] anyway later loser

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Holy poo poo you really are the puppet master!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

Holy poo poo you really are the puppet master!

swing and a miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar