Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I can't even find the Magic cards at my local Walmart anymore. All of the card games got moved around. They were in toys and the Pokémon cards are with the other Pokémon toys now. I haven't found where Magic product go moved to and it's not at the front of the store either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Star Man posted:

I can't even find the Magic cards at my local Walmart anymore. All of the card games got moved around. They were in toys and the Pokémon cards are with the other Pokémon toys now. I haven't found where Magic product go moved to and it's not at the front of the store either.

My walmart is trash, as is expected, and their magic section was dilapidated for months. Today they had some Brawl decks and a hundred+ Eldraine packs and Eldraine Theme packs. WHO KNOWS?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ShaneB posted:

My walmart is trash, as is expected, and their magic section was dilapidated for months. Today they had some Brawl decks and a hundred+ Eldraine packs and Eldraine Theme packs. WHO KNOWS?

Maybe it's a good thing that I don't know where it is. But I only buy any of that stuff if I see something really interesting.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Y'all all scoffed at me when I said Brazen Borrower was good enough for modern

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

Magic/Pokemon/YGO TCG stuff is strangely smack in the middle of the cashier's around here.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t play commander, but aren’t there like a bajillion 2cmc rocks already? What makes the Brawl one so tantalizing?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

fadam posted:

I don’t play commander, but aren’t there like a bajillion 2cmc rocks already? What makes the Brawl one so tantalizing?

It is another one with a different name.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
here have an arena code from the ELD pre-release

<ALREADY TAKEN>

Please just quote and tell people you took it.

Nystral fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 4, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

It's an auto-include on the same level as Sol Ring honestly. It gives you perfect mana fixing with no drawback.

The other common 2-drop rocks:
Signets: only 2 colors, requires 1 mana to activate
Talismans: only 2 colors, pings you for 1
Diamonds: only 1 color, comes into play tapped
Fellwar Stone: only gives you colors opponent lands can give

It's extremely good, and is a direct upgrade for any 2-drop rock. Even in mono-color decks, it basically works like any diamond without having to come into play tapped.

It's really good. I've been pretty hyped about getting my hands on some.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 4, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nystral posted:

here have an arena code from the ELD pre-release

Q8N-1JNS-8xy

Please just quote and tell people you took it.

I took it! Thank you for the six packs!

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Now I really want magic cards that require players to choose to cooperate to achieve something, and if they choose to do so, then “everybody wins”

It could be a fun game theory experiment

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Otto Octopus posted:

Now I really want magic cards that require players to choose to cooperate to achieve something, and if they choose to do so, then “everybody wins”

It could be a fun game theory experiment

I kind of wish Twilight Sparkle was a real workable card for that reason. "Everybody wins" is design space that hasn't been touched on before. (outside of that card that makes the game end in a draw.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ungulateman posted:

e: also the pony cards are cute and the text "everypony wins the game" is amazing, you're all haters

The correct templating would be "each player wins the game," actually. :colbert:

"Winning the game" would be a state checked in priority order, right? So the active player would actually win the game when activating that ability.

Interestingly I couldn't find anything in the comprehensive rules about simultaneous wins, just simultaneous losses (a tie, natch).

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think you might just both win and the game ends?

edit: "609.5. If an effect could result in a tie, the text of the spell or ability that created the effect will specify what to do in the event of a tie. The Magic game has no default for ties." makes the comprehensive rules sound like it's mad at me for looking it up.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 4, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Framboise posted:

Magic/Pokemon/YGO TCG stuff is strangely smack in the middle of the cashier's around here.

It's both an easy impulse buy and easy to steal.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fellas, are these Once Upon a Times gonna go down in price or just dramatically go up now that a lot of standard decks are slow, partially green, piles?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

fadam posted:

Fellas, are these Once Upon a Times gonna go down in price or just dramatically go up now that a lot of standard decks are slow, partially green, piles?

they better go down cube needs 1

edit: vvvv lol really?

uggy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 4, 2019

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

fadam posted:

"Fellas"... c'mon

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

uggy posted:

they better go down cube needs 1

edit: vvvv lol really?

Everyone is talking about how they’re hot poo poo in Amulet and I kind of want to try it, but the cuts would be for cards that are already really good and I’m always hesitant to do that.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

but the cuts would be for cards that are already really good and I’m always hesitant to do that.
Burn brewer's lament.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Idk what people are talking about saying eldraine draft is super grindy. From every game I've played, someone plays a bomb rare or uncommon and if you don't answer it very quickly you die. And the removal is extremely sparse or doesn't actually hit their 4 power or 3/4 toughness creature so you probably won't kill it.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Where you at to doom and gloom Sickening?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

suicidesteve posted:

Idk what people are talking about saying eldraine draft is super grindy. From every game I've played, someone plays a bomb rare or uncommon and if you don't answer it very quickly you die. And the removal is extremely sparse or doesn't actually hit their 4 power or 3/4 toughness creature so you probably won't kill it.

friend, have you considered your lord and savior sporecap spider

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

I think you might just both win and the game ends?

edit: "609.5. If an effect could result in a tie, the text of the spell or ability that created the effect will specify what to do in the event of a tie. The Magic game has no default for ties." makes the comprehensive rules sound like it's mad at me for looking it up.

I don’t think that refers to a game ending in a draw, though. That’s things like two players picking the same number for goblin game. If both players lose or both win simultaneously, then that game is a draw.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

moush posted:

Where you at to doom and gloom Sickening?

I have been fishing more than playing magic lately. Scg is going to do what is popular. I think staying flexible is great. Scg could care less if those are all modern, standard, or legacy. Scg has been good at this while gps have not.

Wait no Texas? Wtf scg!

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 5, 2019

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I bought two Collectors boosters because I'm at NYCC and where else am I going to unnecessarily splurge on nerd poo poo?

I pulled an Alela out of one of them which was highly unexpected.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MTGA Bots are very, very bad at evaluating, well, anything, really.

Like, I only dropped one match with this gross loving deck.

Edit: To RW Knights, specifically.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 5, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
2-1 in draft with an underwhelming Mardu more-or-less knights deck running Unlucky Fried Kitten.
Round 1 I lost to Lovestruck Beast and mana screw.
Round 2 I won thanks to my opponent flooding out and my meagre removal being sufficient to keep his dwarves under control.
Round 3 I slammed a Fervent Champion turn 1 and Steelclaw Lance turn 2. That was quick. The next game was much grindier and closer, and was ultimately decided by my opponent flooding out while I stayed at 2-4 life as I attacked repeatedly into Revenge of Ravens. Scary poo poo.

I feel like I'll do better next time now that I know what the hell the format looks like.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Sickening posted:

Wait no Texas? Wtf scg!

Yeah that's the point I was trying to make. Guess last event really did poorly here.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"you know, i probably should counter this sorcerous spyglass when i have two okos in my hand, but i'll probably draw something else to do and who knows what else they might have that i want to counter."

[draws the other two copies of oko]

"hmm."

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

At first I thought you beat me earlier today, but no, the deck I lost to was even more ridiculous, they had a murderous rider too. In fact, they went turn 3 murderous rider, killing my The Royal Scions, into turn 4 murderous rider. I was really confused for a moment when no creature appeared on their side of the board. Then I conceded. Well, not really, but I did resign myself to ending my run with that deck at 4 match wins. It was above expectation for it, anyway, I think.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

Wait no Texas? Wtf scg!

Either it's coming later in the year or you're now officially too far west for SCG to visit you now.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ungulateman posted:

"you know, i probably should counter this sorcerous spyglass when i have two okos in my hand, but i'll probably draw something else to do and who knows what else they might have that i want to counter."

[draws the other two copies of oko]

"hmm."

I mean, you're playing counterspells and oko, so karma was going to catch up to you sooner or later.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

hydra tribal is pure and blameless :colbert:

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

ungulateman posted:

hydra tribal is pure and blameless :colbert:

Hydra tribal is great. Considering dropping blue and thus hydroid krosus to fit in questing beasts and possibly more ramp.

I miss Lanowar Elves.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Counterintuitively if you're playing against manaless dredge and win the toss you choose to go second, right? They do nothing on their turn and you get to draw?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
yep

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ilmucche posted:

Counterintuitively if you're playing against manaless dredge and win the toss you choose to go second, right? They do nothing on their turn and you get to draw?

Yeah Manaless Dredge is basically not Magic, so you want to be on the draw in that matchup.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

loving hell, all that needs is for the two funerals to be 2 Revenge of Ravens. Wish I got pick orders like that. My only Folio deck so far struggled to find other mill engines, 2 merfolk and no apprentices >:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chadzok posted:

loving hell, all that needs is for the two funerals to be 2 Revenge of Ravens. Wish I got pick orders like that. My only Folio deck so far struggled to find other mill engines, 2 merfolk and no apprentices >:(

Yeah, I was 2-1 in my draft with a really poor RB knight pile last night. The only thing that had me win the two matches I did was revenge of ravens and the black knight that does damage when stuff dies. the look the dude's face when he realized stolen by the fae just created more counters for me to kill was priceless. A board of 2/2 and 1/1 flyers just can't meaningfully attack through that. If I could have managed a second one in that pool I'd never have gotten close to losing a match.

Is that card just a draft all star, or is it actually constructed playable in things like Unlucky Fried Kitten?