Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Android Blues posted:

How this follows into "Trump is a woke-bot enforcing the agenda of liberal intersectional feminists", however, I'm not quite sure. Ishida's theory is a mess.

Also two strips about halloween cupcakes with the drones on them or something because I don't loving know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Android Blues posted:

Like, Sinfest definitely has a rudimentary grasp on radical feminism, and it can express Ishida's perspective effectively. The problem is that Ishida has an understanding of radical feminism that appears to be entirely based on "people he met on Twitter who are mad at libfems".

All his successful expressions of radical theory (gender is a construct and a tool of social control, tokenism isn't real change, etc) are mixed in with snarls about how liberal feminists are functionally right-wing misogynists - which is not a pillar of radical theory, but the artefact of him having learned his theory from socially polarised Twitter warriors rather than, you know, books.

And then there's also stuff that's still held over from his own misogyny that he never really bothered to examine in the context of radical feminism, which is why you have him complaining about trans-inclusive feminism policing and reinforcing gender while he is simultaneously busy policing and reinforcing gender.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

In less TERFy news, the new bobbins.horse continues to be great.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 4, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Like, Sinfest definitely has a rudimentary grasp on radical feminism, and it can express Ishida's perspective effectively. The problem is that Ishida has an understanding of radical feminism that appears to be entirely based on "people he met on Twitter who are mad at libfems".

lol at assuming terfs aren't libfems with a different coat of paint

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

lol at assuming terfs aren't libfems with a different coat of paint

"Libfem" is the radfem word for third wave feminists, not whatever "neo-liberalism bad" thing you're thinking. The implication of the people who use it tends to be that being a third wave intersectional feminist is ideologically synonymous with being a neoliberal, which...yeah, generally not the case.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

And then there's also stuff that's still held over from his own misogyny that he never really bothered to examine in the context of radical feminism, which is why you have him complaining about trans-inclusive feminism policing and reinforcing gender while he is simultaneously busy policing and reinforcing gender.

On this note, it's definitely revealing that he makes all his female protagonists conventionally pretty, slender, etc, while the strip's antagonists are mostly (caricatures of real people) drawn as ugly zombies. Hotness is equal to natural virtue in Sinfest - not exactly a rad fem take.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So wait do the QC robots have genitals? Do they hot swap them out or what

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

So wait do the QC robots have genitals? Do they hot swap them out or what

I mean I think he made it pretty clear, looking back on it

She doesn't have a vagina, she has some kind of port in her....thigh??? that he fucks

Seems like she wouldn't get any pleasure out of it but what do I know bout thigh loving

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

QC robots can have genitals. In the strip at present, only Pintsize and probably Bubbles currently do, and Pintsize's are an art piece the size of him.

May's sexcapades have so far involved a watermelon turned into a rudimentary sex sleeve and...I have no idea what Sven hosed the second time, he put his dick in her thigh socket afterwards as a joke. For May, the appeal appears to largely be in the transgressive nature of loving a human and the inherent comedy of a dude going to town on a watermelon. And also she thinks Sven is hot, I think, because robots apparently get socialized into human attractiveness standards.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

habeasdorkus posted:

That dude is loving awesome.
There's a really good documentary about him on Amazon Prime. Also very :nsfw: considering y'know.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mors Rattus posted:

QC robots can have genitals. In the strip at present, only Pintsize and probably Bubbles currently do, and Pintsize's are an art piece the size of him.

May's sexcapades have so far involved a watermelon turned into a rudimentary sex sleeve and...I have no idea what Sven hosed the second time, he put his dick in her thigh socket afterwards as a joke. For May, the appeal appears to largely be in the transgressive nature of loving a human and the inherent comedy of a dude going to town on a watermelon. And also she thinks Sven is hot, I think, because robots apparently get socialized into human attractiveness standards.

Whatever hole he found the second time he apparently found the first time too, since her 'fluids' are why his hair is the way it is right now

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Android Blues posted:

All his successful expressions of radical theory (gender is a construct and a tool of social control, tokenism isn't real change, etc) are mixed in with snarls about how liberal feminists are functionally right-wing misogynists - which is not a pillar of radical theory, but the artefact of him having learned his theory from socially polarised Twitter warriors rather than, you know, books.

What's really frustrating is that radical feminism in the second wave has a WHOLE LOT OF USEFUL CONCEPTS in its toolbox regarding gender constructs, societal coercion around sex and gender, and how it's really loving hard to dismantle the master's house with or without the master's tools, it's been turned into a loving front for misogynist gender essentialists who Kathryn MacKinnon would headbutt out of a loving dirigible before appearing with on a panel.

Goodness knows that second wave feminism has had a trans-rights issue from the start, there was a great article that I can't find a link for talking about how a bunch of radical feminists in the 1970s were trans exclusionary because trans women were "men"- but that they outright failed at blocking trans women from participating in a major conference when they tried. Radical second wave feminism is not, by definition, TERF or SWERF (though it's closer to the latter due to issues about consent and male power over female bodies). It's just that most TERFS aren't even radical feminists but your bog standard reactionary women-haters who find the term helpful as a disguise.

Also, so this isn't completely off topic- Bobbins.horse remains excellent, and man it sucks for May to have such a creaky body that she can't even get her bone on without her leg popping off at the hip. As for the sex, I assume it's just some serious frottage, and it's been mentioned at some point in the comic that AI's can feel sexual pleasure, so I assume she IS getting something out of it.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 5, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Burkion posted:

Whatever hole he found the second time he apparently found the first time too, since her 'fluids' are why his hair is the way it is right now

I just assumed her joints are leaky because she's got the bottom rung surplus convicto-bot body. QC world is better than ours in at least some ways, but it's still pretty lovely to ex-cons.

I seriously hope she gets to be a fighter jet again, Hannelore has the resources to make that happen!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't think May could be trusted with missiles. What about a fighter jet with confetti cannons?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Didn't May originally end up in Robot Jail because she transferred herself into a fighter jet, or am I sundowning?

Regardless, she should get a super sick aeronautical experiment, like the Mitsubishi X-2.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

habeasdorkus posted:

Didn't May originally end up in Robot Jail because she transferred herself into a fighter jet, or am I sundowning?

Regardless, she should get a super sick aeronautical experiment, like the Mitsubishi X-2.

She ended up in Robot Jail because she tried to steal massive amounts of money to buy a fighter jet body on the black market.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mors Rattus posted:

She ended up in Robot Jail because she tried to steal massive amounts of money to buy a fighter jet body on the black market.
Reminds me of Jason from The Good Place

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Ah, ok, I'm just misremembering. So she should still get that fighter jet body at some point. If only to see Sven's expression.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 5, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SardonicTyrant posted:

Reminds me of Jason from The Good Place

Honestly those two probably have a lot in common as far as "reasons why they do bad things" go.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Now I just need to see May throwing a molotov yelling "Minshaw"

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ishida's big issue is that the core of his comic didn't change. It's still "you ladies are all Womaning wrong because you're too stupid to get it; let me, an Intelligent Man, teach you how to Woman correctly." He's just changed his definitions of what it means to Woman correctly.

As for the Robo-Fuckin' Comic, I agree with Mors' take on May and loving. She probably isn't interested in loving for the sake of loving, but she does dig loving when she can be loving weird, or otherwise transgressive somehow.

Sven just wants some no-strings loving and is willing to roll with it, I guess. I wonder if things are going to hit a point where he goes "sorry no but too much."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not even really sure how Ishida thinks you ought to Woman Correctly except that it involves being rude a lot.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I really want to get myself banned from his forums for posting ContraPoints videos and then politely DnD posting about them but he’s not monitoring his signup requests damnit! :mad:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not even really sure how Ishida thinks you ought to Woman Correctly except that it involves being rude a lot.

If you're a woman who doesn't hate trans people, or a third wave intersectional feminist in general, you're a brainwashed handmaiden desperate to be liberated by Ishida's spunky Cool Girl protagonists. Basically the comic's perspective appears to be that the correct way to woman is to share his very specific take on a very modern, anachronistic, non-scholarly version of second wave radical feminist theory. Women who do so are cool and hot. Women who don't are nervous Stepford Wives who need to be liberated by his barely coherent praxis.

I only dipped into the archive as a result of this discussion, and that's what I gleaned from the last hundred strips or so. It's not great.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Today, in Never Satisfied, cop lady gets owned.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got shown the first half chapter of 'O Human Star' and argh *binges* oh no my feelings oh no oh no wauuugh.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Sinfest's whole ethos generally is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eRRab36XLI

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 7, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Today, in Never Satisfied, cop lady gets owned.

Not really sure why she was firing a lethal blast when she was already on record as thinking this whole thing was a giant overreaction.

Cop, I guess.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I got shown the first half chapter of 'O Human Star' and argh *binges* oh no my feelings oh no oh no wauuugh.

Welcome! Glad you could join us.

Now let's suffer together at this comic's super slow update pace.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rand Brittain posted:

Not really sure why she was firing a lethal blast when she was already on record as thinking this whole thing was a giant overreaction.

Cop, I guess.

We don't actually know that it's a lethal blast.

...also, I'll be honest, Broom Girl is kinda getting on my nerves. This comic promised me a kaleidoscope of teens loving up and making terrible decisions, and so far not only is BG basically hypercompetent (to the point of effortlessly taking down adults repeatedly) but also is presented as totally emotionally together.

I want my disasters, thanks. Cool but implausible kung fu k9 crushing is not actually what I'm here for.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like killing a cop's dog is sufficiently "this will not make things better" to qualify even if you did it with kung fu.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Mikl posted:

Welcome! Glad you could join us.

Now let's suffer together at this comic's super slow update pace.

Aren't we on the final chapter, too? I'm not ready for it to end.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like killing a cop's dog is sufficiently "this will not make things better" to qualify even if you did it with kung fu.

We'll see how it plays out, given that like... we don't know that it's lethal, since it's a magic hand blast, and also that's not really an escalation from 'sucker-punched a teacher and went on the run from the law after helping a fugitive escape.'

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That depends entirely on how cute and lovable the dog was.

Most dogs are cuter and more lovable than teachers.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Well, Wolfe is actually a wolf. Doesn't mean he can't still be a good doggo though. I'm not sure how that changes your calculus.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, this scene feels wrong to me for quite a few reasons. First off, it's cool that Broom Girl is so competent and all, but seriously, this is going a bit overboard. How did she get so powerful she's clowning on well-trained police officers? What's so special about her that she's a teenager and already this good? Even on the run, she seems to walk around with 100% confidence and no real direct repercussions (so far) for her actions.

Second, ok, she's good enough to kick a wolf. Fine, sure. She's good enough to avoid a magic bullet? Stretching it a bit, but whatever. But she's good enough to intentionally kick that wolf into the bullet, on purpose? Really reaching for me. Plus, if she's good enough to do that, and would regret doing it, she could have figured out SOME other way to non-lethally subdue it (I'm assuming it's lethal from her reaction).

I dunno. I really liked her before, but Broom Girl is feeling way too untouchable at this point.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Malpais Legate posted:

Aren't we on the final chapter, too? I'm not ready for it to end.

Yep, it's currently on a brief hiatus, this month should mark the beginning of the final chapter.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Broom Girl has been a total mystery until now, but she's sat in the background. This sudden showcase of competence looks like it's there to highlight the question of who exactly she is and what she's trying to achieve - I sincerely doubt she ever had any intention of becoming Representative.

Basically this is the point in the YA novel where the protagonist realises the society is all a toxic sham and goes on the run and one of their friends is actually a secret agent of the resistance. Broom Girl is that agent.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Tenebrais posted:

Broom Girl has been a total mystery until now, but she's sat in the background. This sudden showcase of competence looks like it's there to highlight the question of who exactly she is and what she's trying to achieve - I sincerely doubt she ever had any intention of becoming Representative.

Basically this is the point in the YA novel where the protagonist realises the society is all a toxic sham and goes on the run and one of their friends is actually a secret agent of the resistance. Broom Girl is that agent.

Sure, but that was fully communicated when she clowned all over the magistracy before. Then she gave sage advice to Ana, and then this. And more generally, it's difficult to have those resistance characters be hypercompetent without them becoming a focus over and above the other characters- or else not being very fleshed out themselves.

But, more than those pitfalls, I just wanted more of the teenage mess where even the people who are in the right are messy idiots, because the comic was doing that well. Broom Girl's SO is actually great for this - they're in the resistance and clearly competent, but also come off as frustrating to deal with in a very teenage way. Broom Girl reads at the moment a bit like how someone might describe their older sister who has everything sorted out; she comes across as kind of flat so far, but also gets these big 'no cop can stop her!' moments. I would prefer, if the characterization is going to be 'cool resistance agent' that she not step into the spotlight quite so much so quite so quickly.

Plus, as noted, this scene just feels kinda off. Kicking a wolf into the path of a magic bullet is a significant step up in terms of how unrealistic physical feats are in this story, even factoring in the magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I get what the author is going for - Broom Girl went too far, and there's going to be consequences for that. But her Neo-like hyperconfidence is really unearned. The same result could have been accomplished while still showing her struggling and making an unfortunate mistake.

Also seems like a real dumb move on the cops' part (Isra, I think?). Essentially firing a gun right above the head of your familiar? Could you imagine a K9 cop doing that with their police dog? It doesn't read to me like the actions of a trained professional, while Broom Girl's every movement does.