Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notice he didn't say bribing or extorting :v:

EDIT: photogenic cat tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Sealion comic presents the bigot in the right (I don't like sealions [visible minority]) and the minority in the wrong for questioning the bigot on their hatred. Swap the word "Sealion" for any minority and you can see why the comic is bloody annoying.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Madkal posted:

The Sealion comic presents the bigot in the right (I don't like sealions [visible minority]) and the minority in the wrong for questioning the bigot on their hatred. Swap the word "Sealion" for any minority and you can see why the comic is bloody annoying.

Yeah. Sea Lioning is totally a thing that happens, but that comic is so poorly written that people always misinterpret it whenever it gets posted.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If other countries weren't scared of making the baby mad, now would be an excellent time to announce a corruption inquiry into Kushner, Ivanka, or the Trump Org.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Madkal posted:

This isn't what's going on in the comic at all. The person doesn't like sea lions because they're loving annoying idiots who ask pointless questions to waste time while acting like they're the ones being civil even though they aren't. The sea lion is bigots. How did you get this so incredibly, completely wrong?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Shifty Pony posted:

If other countries weren't scared of making the baby mad, now would be an excellent time to announce a corruption inquiry into Kushner, Ivanka, or the Trump Org.

I really hope there is trump family collateral damage when all the dust settles.

That one tweet showing piss baby jr saying that he couldn't be as corrupt as hunter biden was had my blood boiling when I saw it.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

How is it possible to spend any amount of time online and come away with the impression that the sea lion comic is racist lmao

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

it would own if China announced "we are happy to open corruption investigations into Americans doing business in China" and then launches investigations of Ivanka or whatever

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

empty whippet box posted:

This isn't what's going on in the comic at all. The person doesn't like sea lions because they're loving annoying idiots who ask pointless questions to waste time while acting like they're the ones being civil even though they aren't. The sea lion is bigots. How did you get this so incredibly, completely wrong?

yeah the idea that the sealion is supposed to be a minority is weird because bigots would loudly tell you whatever bullshit reason they hate any given minority if you asked them.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

goethe.cx posted:

How is it possible to spend any amount of time online and come away with the impression that the sea lion comic is racist lmao

1. Some people aren't particularly bright. Superfluous usage of "like," even in text, is a good sign of this.
2. Some people just love to be offended / indignant
3. A combination thereof.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not from the coast. Is it a seal body with lion legs, or the other way around?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Pellisworth posted:

it would own if China announced "we are happy to open corruption investigations into Americans doing business in China" and then launches investigations of Ivanka or whatever

They’ve been granting her patents in what can now be seen as an attempt to curry favor with trump for a trade deal for like two years.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not from the coast. Is it a seal body with lion legs, or the other way around?

lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

The sealion had no choice in being born a sealion. Do you have any evidence that they're annoying or that their questions are pointless?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

It's kinda the webcomic version of David Cross' bit about the word 'literally' (any other interpretation of the actual meaning is the exact opposite of its meaning), but with the bonus effect of letting us watch new sea lions sea lioning about a sea lion

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CHEF!!! posted:

1. Some people aren't particularly bright. Superfluous usage of "like," even in text, is a good sign of this.

What the gently caress is this.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

fool_of_sound posted:

A guy who is not particularly bright.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I say like all the time, I also start statements with "I mean,." It doesn't mean I'm stupid :(

Just Californian

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

President Trump said Friday that Democrats “unfortunately have the votes” to impeach him in the House, but he predicted he would “win” in a trial in the Republican-led Senate.

“The Republicans are very unified,” Trump said, as he again insisted he had said nothing inappropriate during the July call in which he pressed Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate former vice president Joe Biden and his son Hunter Biden.

lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

attn: mike pence re: your crimes

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1180203985816428544

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's a seal full of positively charged ions

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

The sealion had no choice in being born a sealion. Do you have any evidence that they're annoying or that their questions are pointless?

Do you have any evidence that sealions debate in good faith? I'd love to see it, thanks!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

fool_of_sound posted:

I could explain it but you wouldn't understand.

:viggo:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah the idea that the sealion is supposed to be a minority is weird because bigots would loudly tell you whatever bullshit reason they hate any given minority if you asked them.

As if you need to ask them, they happily volunteer it anytime they feel like they are in a "safe place"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know how if everyone you meet is an rear end in a top hat you're the rear end in a top hat? Well if you look at the sealion comic and say "Wait, the sealion isn't in the wrong!" well...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

its a seal outside with a lion inside

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oh no, my crimes!!!!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Trump keeping his options for non extradition countries open I guess.

https://twitter.com/time/status/1180199624566562816?s=21

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I do wish that an animal less lovable than sea lions had been used. Like roaches or locusts or something.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It's a seal full of positively charged ions

No, those would be cations. How can we have a civil discourse on the nature of sealions if you misidentify their chemical makeup?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
For gently caress’s sake, just lock the thread for a couple hours make it stop

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Guys is the loving sealion cartoon really worth having a slapfight over?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CHEF!!! posted:

This is the bottom of the barrel right here.

People don’t like the comic because it’s written poorly and never really used appropriately. In fact if you ever are trying to end an argument by going after grammar or posting a loving webcomic you are like, incredibly lame.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That's quite the wide net they are casting with that demand. There's going to be a hell of a fight.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fool_of_sound posted:

that's like asking if a random holiday is really worth getting drunk for

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Here talk about this

https://twitter.com/knight69420/status/1180084245466927104?s=21

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

I don't think it's fair to describe our discussion as a slapfight, it seems like it's you who's being uncivil.

yes, I'm deliberately sealioning, I'll stop

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

That's quite the wide net they are casting with that demand. There's going to be a hell of a fight.

How so? All of those look pretty narrowly tailored to the subject of the Ukraine inquiry.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

fool_of_sound posted:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

fool_of_sound posted:

Its an explanation in list form of why some people misinterpret the sea lion comic.

Im kinda surprised you needed that laid out for you but there ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

I think bringing pence into this is smart. He’s widely unpopular outside evangelical circles, way more than trump. I think reminding republicans that he’s even on the ticket will shave a few points off approval.

Also it’s the moral and correct thing to do as elected representatives because he’s a horrible piece of poo poo but apparently all that matters is strategy sooooo.